Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

which would you rather have, a job or a tank?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSi-1-2ndVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Scud Hansen posted:

But I have so many cans : (

Please melt your cans and post the results! This all sounds badass

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I was doing a bit, but this is really cool OP.

so you're not gonna make little outfits for the cats??

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Scud Hansen posted:

But I have so many cans : (

i mean if you're just making lil toy castings or whatever it doesnt really matter but you're gonna have hella porosity

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

anyway metal casting is super cool and i'm jealous you get to do it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cat Face Joe posted:

so you're not gonna make little outfits for the cats??

That one actually got me interested too. Will look into it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
but not minicomputers?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
little outfits for minicomputers would own

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That one actually got me interested too. Will look into it.

cast them armor, op

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Aluminum is lightweight and strong, much in the same way as a cat

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The Gingery books are legendary

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

no boots, 2/5

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

The Gingery books are legendary

there was a dude on youtube who did the gingery shaper, that was pretty good. of note is that all his casting was lost foam casting, which was neat.

edit: here's the playlist http://youtube.com/watch?v=128SDhnSd3A&list=PL9d6LkFNP1fEdw-SPCSIUX8NP0x8McHtW

rotor fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 18, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

my daughter wanted to try archery, so I joined with her, and we are now both national champions (it's a very small country, I was the only one in my class, she beat 4 others, including the reigning champ, so go her! )

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

rotor posted:

there was a dude on youtube who did the gingery shaper, that was pretty good. of note is that all his casting was lost foam casting, which was neat.

edit: here's the playlist http://youtube.com/watch?v=128SDhnSd3A&list=PL9d6LkFNP1fEdw-SPCSIUX8NP0x8McHtW

We did lost foam casting in college as part of a required course it was fun. I made an ashtray for our in-house bar since the old one was cracked. Buddy of mine made a letter opener and got in a lot of trouble for essentially using school resources to make a weapon lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Terrible letter opener too it wasn't sharp at all and textured like the cheap foam we used for the class, not sure what he was expecting

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

Terrible letter opener too it wasn't sharp at all and textured like the cheap foam we used for the class, not sure what he was expecting

you cant really cast sharp edges tho so this is not your fault.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
burger

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OzyMandrill posted:

my daughter wanted to try archery, so I joined with her, and we are now both national champions (it's a very small country, I was the only one in my class, she beat 4 others, including the reigning champ, so go her! )

good poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

woodworking op

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well i just spent $6 on the first of those sand casting books. cool.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my latest hobby is lying down

have a day off? just lie down until it’s over

is it depression? no lol it’s just called horizontal hangtime

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
depression was a favorite hobby of mine for, god, at least a decade. probably could've gone pro if i tried a bit less

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I should revive my hobby of making chip tunes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
chips tune

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you ever lie in bed and think about the day ahead? and sometimes the things you think about give you inspiration or motivation. perhaps you think about making a lamp and you can’t wait to get out of bed to go make it.

what about when it’s not like that? when nothing whatsoever gives you a pang of interest or excitement or motivation or whatever. you get out of bed because you know you should but there is nothing you want to do with the day.

is this a hobby? maybe I should hire a rowing machine

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
no that’s just depression

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

no that’s just depression

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Silver Alicorn posted:

I should revive my hobby of making chip tunes

Yes that owns you should do it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

you ever lie in bed and think about the day ahead? and sometimes the things you think about give you inspiration or motivation.

no.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cooking is the best hobby to take up because then it’s an excuse to hang out with friends and talk while y’all eat together

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

born on a buy you posted:

cooking is the best hobby to take up because then it’s an excuse to hang out with friends and talk while y’all eat together

this but only make competition level chili

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

petting dogs is a good hobby

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

echinopsis posted:

you ever lie in bed and think about the day ahead? and sometimes the things you think about give you inspiration or motivation. perhaps you think about making a lamp and you can’t wait to get out of bed to go make it.

what about when it’s not like that? when nothing whatsoever gives you a pang of interest or excitement or motivation or whatever. you get out of bed because you know you should but there is nothing you want to do with the day.

is this a hobby? maybe I should hire a rowing machine

That's just a dopamine problem. Spend a week or two without social media or video games and you'll be right as rain.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I am open to suggestions and thoughts.

You could spend your days giving armchair diagnoses to strangers on the internet. For instance, I think your posting could use more fiber.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

born on a buy you posted:

you gotta have friends for that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RokosCockatrice posted:

That's just a dopamine problem. Spend a week or two without social media or video games and you'll be right as rain.

I have actually wondered about this, because something I do end up doing when I feel like this is doom scrolling, and it’s occurred to me, because I’ve heard things like this, that one should take a “dopamine holiday” or something to remove the tiny dopamine hits you get from social media or whatever and “reset” poo poo a bit

a depressing but real fact seems to be that even if you found something that increased dopamine in your brain, you brain would become adapted to the new levels and downregulate the receptors, the end result being that there is nothing you can take that will work day after day

I got some tyrosine because it’s a dopamine precursor and it does increase dopamine levels and actually bring back a bit of motivation but you can’t take it every day :cry:

word on the street is that exercise helps. WTF universe

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

drugs can be a fun and exciting hobby

for example, you can meet some new and interesting friends just by doing large amounts of Benadryl, like the hat man and shadow people

or you can try some DMT and tap the wisdom of the machine elves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
rob a liquor store and invest the proceeds in meme stonks and shitcoins