Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Not sure how I was thinking those worked but I didn't think they were made up of a bunch of CRTs. Good lord, I wonder how much those things weighed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shibawanko posted:

too bad it's in some museum in dusseldorf playing a video of two naked old ladies

The Vergina Sisters (MSX2)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It is kind of lame that we have this limited resource and a bunch are being used to show a looping video of an artist spitting on the magna carta

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

I bought this set off an old lady on facebook for about 7 bucks. Everything on my super famicom is dark as hell. I get the same result from both the front and back component inputs.

Assuming this thing is hosed. Shame.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

It is kind of lame that we have this limited resource and a bunch are being used to show a looping video of an artist spitting on the magna carta

everyone else there was like "Hmmm.. Quite" meanwhile i was like drat i could totally play whirlo for snes on this thing

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

FART BOSS posted:

I bought this set off an old lady on facebook for about 7 bucks. Everything on my super famicom is dark as hell. I get the same result from both the front and back component inputs.

Assuming this thing is hosed. Shame.

You say component but do you mean composite? Can you try a different input device on it?

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

mysteryberto posted:

You say component but do you mean composite? Can you try a different input device on it?

Oh yep you’re totally right I meant composite. Composite is the only input the set has unfortunately.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does tuning to a dead channel display the static normally or does it look all weird like that? Does it have any kind of menu?

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Yeah the static looks normal in tv mode. I guess it could be a cable problem?

Edit: No menus, at least not without a remote. And as far as I can tell no way to get “video” out of the corner.

FART BOSS fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 28, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

if it's specific to the a/v input it might be a cable problem, either the cable you use to connect to it or some internal wiring might be a bit busted

it doesn't look like a settings problem to me but it might still be worth getting a cheap universal remote (some phones that have an IR emitter can be used as a remote if you install the right app), and messing with the settings

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

I ended up going back to the lady I bought it from and swapping it for another set she was selling. It's not a trinitron but at least now I can raise acts in peace

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

FART BOSS posted:

I ended up going back to the lady I bought it from and swapping it for another set she was selling. It's not a trinitron but at least now I can raise acts in peace

that looks like a good set, what inputs does it have?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Not sure if people have seen this yet, but it's a music video(!) by the Glass Animals for their song "Heat Waves":
I'm sure you've heard the song if you listen to any pop radio whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRD0-GxqHVo

the video was done when the Covid lockdowns were in effect and I like it.

Peep those CRTs

For my part, I've got a Mitsubishi XC-3730C sitting in storage until I can get more space to put it somewhere. It works perfectly last time I tried it. Found it in one of the work conference rooms as part of an old video conferencing system and asked If I could grab it. It has a cart thank god because the thing is heavy as hell.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Shibawanko posted:

that looks like a good set, what inputs does it have?

Looks like this one does in fact have component. Doesn't do my SFC much good but I guess its good to have in case I really go hogwild and build a mister someday.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

FART BOSS posted:

Looks like this one does in fact have component. Doesn't do my SFC much good but I guess its good to have in case I really go hogwild and build a mister someday.

It might be worth looking into getting the SFC hooked up to the component inputs (converting from RGB). Depending on the model you have you might not even need to mod it.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Some guy wrote up a guide with all the common North American TVs that came out.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zv7Tbu40FQOfIU6rMwaV_jpmVbjA6qLCfd6KNxwMJGU/mobilebasic

Fun to read through and see cheap and spendy TVs. My favorite was the $10,000 Sony.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What would be the top of the line gaming crt if money wasn’t an issue?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SeANMcBAY posted:

What would be the top of the line gaming crt if money wasn’t an issue?
One of those PVM style monitors used in a film editing lab that's 46" and has its own special pedestal with reinforced concrete footings.

And scart.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The Sony FW900 has been a popular white whale since it can be made to play nice with modern display signals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PdMtwQQUmo

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Might be a long shot but is there anyone here in the thread that lives in the Boston area with a 600 line 14” PVM interested in a straight up trade for a 600 line 19” PVM? I just got my first PVM (a PVM-1943MD) and it’s great, perfect geometry, great colors, no burn-in, but it’s too big for my desk.

Edit: never mind. I stopped being an idiot and got a bigger desk.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 3, 2022

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
I got an Ikegami TM20-20RH to replace my PVM-20M4U that died. I noticed that it came with digital serial input/output. I'd like to use the digital output for capture, but I want to confirm what I would need to do. I am thinking that I would need a SD-SDI -> HDMI converter which I don't currently have, and then use an existing upscaler before attaching it to the existing capture device.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I love how the ikegami's look! They use shadow mask, eh?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

https://twitter.com/usa_retro/status/1567991878993477634

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I love how the ikegami's look! They use shadow mask, eh?

Yeah, the pop out button tray with knob(tm) is pretty neat too.

I may not even need an upscaler, my capture device will accept 480i over HDMI, and if the SDI -> HDMI converter carries a 480i signal I should be good.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Thankfully much like the inflated game cartridge prices no legitimate buyer is actually paying that much. The closest I saw on a quick ebay search for listings that actually sold were a HTM-1050R for $950 and a HTM-1550R for $700 and various smaller models for $200 or less.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

My SDI -> HDMI converter came in today and it either doesn't work or doesn't like the signal being sent on the Monitor Out SDI BNC plug on my Ikegami. Links to the cable and converter I used are below. I'm guessing the Ikegami can only output on 480i. The converter claims it does SD, HD, and 3G SDI so I assume it should be able to accept 480i. The capture device I plan on using also accepts HDMI over 480i. I don't know if theres something wrong with the Ikegami, SDI Cable, or the converter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P3TVNWG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWQHF17

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Forget image quality, the real thing that makes CRT display superior is the fact your cat can sleep on top of it, enjoying the slight heat produced.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Tatsujin posted:

My SDI -> HDMI converter came in today and it either doesn't work or doesn't like the signal being sent on the Monitor Out SDI BNC plug on my Ikegami. Links to the cable and converter I used are below. I'm guessing the Ikegami can only output on 480i. The converter claims it does SD, HD, and 3G SDI so I assume it should be able to accept 480i. The capture device I plan on using also accepts HDMI over 480i. I don't know if theres something wrong with the Ikegami, SDI Cable, or the converter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P3TVNWG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWQHF17

what kind of monitor out is that? most broadcast monitors ive used usually had a passthrough for outputting / chaining signals. if thats a real monitor output you might be able to select what kind of signal is output

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Aix posted:

what kind of monitor out is that? most broadcast monitors ive used usually had a passthrough for outputting / chaining signals. if thats a real monitor output you might be able to select what kind of signal is output

That's what I was thinking too, but stumbling through the service menu I haven't found something that 'enables' the digital output. I can see that it's present (hit menu twice, go to SLOT BOARD, shows D1 as inserted), but none of the options seem to actually toggle it as enabled or disabled, unless I'm missing something in the service manual. On the actual monitor, it is in the Digital Input/Output section as Monitor Output Serial and is a BNC connector

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1287525/Ikegami-Tm20-20rh.html

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
yeh, its been a while since ive used that generation of ikegami monitor but i think that module just passes through / copies whatever you input via sdi

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Oh that makes sense, so it only outputs from the SDI input, not from analog input. Guess I'll return the SDI -> HDMI converter and look for a scart splitter then.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
:siren: Original XBox Perverts: :siren:

I'm selling an X2VGA on SA-Mart if anyone's interested: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012865

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

My cheapo TV/VCR combo was in dire need of horizontal adjusting, the picture displayed way to the left. So I finally got around to getting the plastic shell off it and found those tiny screw things you turn to adjust the image, luckily for me only the ones for color were near the actual tube. Adjusted the image by looking at the 240p test suite on my Gamecube and everything seemed to be in order. Then I tried to boot up my PS2 and the picture was ever so slightly misaligned to the left...
I'm using RGB Scart to connect both systems on the same Scart input on the TV.
It's not as bad as it was, but it's a bit annoying.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, they just do that. That’s why some games had a screen adjustment feature in the options menu to let you re-center things.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

FART BOSS posted:

I am pleased to report that I am now on the verge of going hogwild. I need some help deciding how to go about connecting a Mister to this thing though.

There are a few interesting options available: the only reputable source of Mister parts/addons near me is a shop on Taobao/Aliexpress called RetroCastle - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/912024455?spm=a2g0o.detail.100005.2.18224dc6VgvR2T

They do two versions of the IO board: a typical VGA board and a board that has Sega Saturn composite/S-video out. The SS board is tempting since it would be plug and play once I got a saturn cable, but my CRT doesn't do S-video, so I wouldn't be getting the most out of it.

My question about VGA is would a cable like this do the trick to get me all set up with component? I know I would need another solution for audio, but this should at least get me the picture, right?

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

FART BOSS posted:

My question about VGA is would a cable like this do the trick to get me all set up with component? I know I would need another solution for audio, but this should at least get me the picture, right?

That cable looks fine and will connect to the analog out port on mister and then to component on your TV.I’m assuming you live somewhere you can’t get Amazon or mono price? This is the one I bought https://a.co/d/4W4TQPk

You can use a simple 1/8 inch to RCA cable to get audio out of your analog board. I’ve seen a lot of people say the DAC for analog out sucks on the mister. I don’t have any recommendations for a DAC it didn’t sound that bad too me as is.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

At work a department was throwing out a PVM-1341 so I decided to bring it in and will now need to find cables. Any reputable places online for NES/SNES? The unit turns on but I haven't tested how the video actually looks.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Vintersorg posted:

At work a department was throwing out a PVM-1341 so I decided to bring it in and will now need to find cables. Any reputable places online for NES/SNES? The unit turns on but I haven't tested how the video actually looks.

Great find what a deal. Are you looking to buy an NES/SNES or just cables?

RGB would look the best for SNES if your SNES supports it.
Svideo would be the second option for SNES.
Composite is the bottom but still ok.

For NES without $$$$ modifications you’re limited to composite. But it’s easy on most NES to connect composite with an RCA cable as it’s built in. You just need a BNC to RCA adapter.

I’d probably pick up something cheap like this which includes BNC to RCA adapters .

RGB RGBS Composite Cable Cord, High Flexibility Multifunctional Composite Cable Cord with 4 BNC Heads for NGC, for N64, for SFC, for SNES https://a.co/d/5aH1Qb8

You could always upgrade cables later. There are fancy artisanal cables but they get spendy https://retro-access.com/collections/super-nintendo/products/snes-csync-bnc-and-rca-cable-pro-coaxial-multicore-for-pvm-monitor

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hell yea, thanks for the Amazon link! :)

I still have my SNES from when I was a kid (and spraypainted black lol) but would need a new NES.

E: Oh wow, forgot the same video cable can be used on N64 and Gamecube. I have those laying around too.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I’ve been looking for a 14 inch or smaller PVM. I’ve kept my eye out but most are limited on inputs or too large. I think I found one in my home town that looks good. They want $600 for a Sony PVM14-L2 in good condition used for 1 year on a tv show production.Is this too high or is it what the market will bear? I was thinking of offering $400.