Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

mysteryberto posted:

I’ve been looking for a 14 inch or smaller PVM. I’ve kept my eye out but most are limited on inputs or too large. I think I found one in my home town that looks good. They want $600 for a Sony PVM14-L2 in good condition used for 1 year on a tv show production.Is this too high or is it what the market will bear? I was thinking of offering $400.

I don't think the L2 is multiformat? 600 seems a bit high, but only used for one year is pretty neat. An L5 I'd pay 600 for, for sure. I'd offer 400 and see, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
If you’re searching for these look for BVMs too, it’s the same tube but one that was cherry picked for higher quality.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Buying a CRT online seems really dumb and risky. Importing one from Japan seems even dumber and riskier, but this little guy was only 5000 yen, maybe worth the gamble:

A 14" FMT-DP531 FM Towns monitor. It's tri-sync, so it should be pretty versatile (I'll need to find/make a DB15 cable/adapter I guess). I found a random imgur gallery from someone who tested it with a bunch of sources. The auction confirmed it powers on, but that's it, so I can only hope it looks as good as those pictures.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Nice!

I don’t know why but DB15 connectors have been popping up everywhere for me lately

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Naturally every Japanese PC that used DB15 has a different pin-out.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Has anyone ever used, or done, an RGB mod on a consumer CRT?

My Sony KV-27FS100 is RGB moddable, and it's supposed to be worth it even though it has component inputs. You put the RGB directly into the jungle chip, bypassing image processing/sharpening. I might be crazy enough to try it.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I feel like modding RGB support into a consumer TV that already supports YPbPr is going to yield a virtually negligible improvement to the picture, unless the goal is to use your SCART cables instead.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Yeah, it's not a night or day difference or anything. It would be cool to add RGB to TVs that are composite only to give them more useful life. One fun thing I learned on the shmups forum is that RF-only TVs frequently have hot chassis, so I will not be going near any of those.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
imho spending the $75 for a better tv is better than risking your life miodding a CRT

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

worms butthole guy posted:

imho spending the $75 for a better tv is better than risking your life miodding a CRT

Agreed, I don’t have the skills to do this work and there is the CRT danger. If you’re great working on electronics and handy with a soldering iron most of the mods don’t look too bad to do. But RGB modding a component set will have minimal returns.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Meh, maybe if you’re not comfortable with it don’t do it. But if you are, I’d check out YouTube for videos on how to do it. There might even be ones for your specific model. Adrian black has done it. Retro RGB (RGB bob’s) website might have some info. I’m actually dealing with some of this stuff now because I’m trying to fix an arcade PCB I just bought.

The plan is to hook it up to my crt that supports rgbhv but I’m using a little lcd for testing. Let us know how you get on

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

maybe tinkering with poo poo is fun? discharging the anode is not hard or scary

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Some things are worth dying for.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Based on the videos and posts I've seen I think RGB modding is most active in parts of the world were PVMs are probably extra hard or too expensive to come by. I just think it's neat.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

maybe tinkering with poo poo is fun? discharging the anode is not hard or scary

Eh I'll pass on anything that could potentially kill you

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hot Stunt posted:

Some things are worth dying for.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

The Automator posted:

this might be a good place to ask

what would be a good way to get a modern laptop (lenovo thinkpad carbon) with just hdmi out to work on a crt? the inputs available are component, composite, and rf. would something like a retrotink get me there? is there a better way to run gamecube/wii games, besides a gamecube/wii?

I use my CRT as my main display so I wondered this too. You can find HDMI to component/composite boxes on amazon for about $50 - 70 bucks. I highly recommend getting one that's powered. These will scale a 1080p image into 480i/480p pretty well, but there is a catch. These boxes don't squish the image into a proper 16:9 so you'll need to find a way to do that. Most Trinitrons after 1999 should have a "16:9 Enhanced" mode in the settings that do the trick but ymmv.

As for compatibility, playing modern consoles works fine although you probably won't be able to read the smaller text on screen. In terms of using your laptop or any other PC, it's not exactly the best option for playing retro games or modern games. If you want to play (somewhat) modern games, the Xbox 360 and PS3 have component output that looks quite good with some games. Others have problems with text readability (dont know if you remember how Dead Rising got a lot of flack for having extremely small text and the devs just told them to eat poo poo after players complained) so it's better to just play on a flatscreen if you're not a crazy person.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i've thought about how feasible it would be to get some modern games based on pixel art to display on a CRT. i guess it wouldn't be feasible to play noita or something on a CRT because the resolution would hide too many important details, but maybe vampire survivors or something might work

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Shibawanko posted:

i've thought about how feasible it would be to get some modern games based on pixel art to display on a CRT. i guess it wouldn't be feasible to play noita or something on a CRT because the resolution would hide too many important details, but maybe vampire survivors or something might work

It wouldn't be super hard to do this with the right equipment, even on a consumer set. You can find old gpus/tv cards that have s-video and VGA to component converters are way easier to deal with compared to an hdmi scaler. Vampire survivors would look pretty weird on a consumer set but thinking about how it would look in 4:3, i really want to try that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shibawanko posted:

I think the main thing is, what is the point? Those sprites were created knowing you would see them pixel perfect on an LCD screen. As opposed to older games where the sprites are ugly or weird looking because they end up looking good when blended by a CRT. It might have been linked in here before, but I think there was a retro gaming YouTuber who made a video comparing the two eras.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Cojawfee posted:

I think the main thing is, what is the point? Those sprites were created knowing you would see them pixel perfect on an LCD screen. As opposed to older games where the sprites are ugly or weird looking because they end up looking good when blended by a CRT. It might have been linked in here before, but I think there was a retro gaming YouTuber who made a video comparing the two eras.

That's the one thing that just shits in my cereal. Pixel art in games now is just another artstyle rather than a product of limitations, so really good pixel art might look great on an LED display since it was made with that display in mind, but on a CRT it would look like a mess. Still, I wouldn't mind trying them out just for fun.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

dlrry posted:

It wouldn't be super hard to do this with the right equipment, even on a consumer set. You can find old gpus/tv cards that have s-video and VGA to component converters are way easier to deal with compared to an hdmi scaler. Vampire survivors would look pretty weird on a consumer set but thinking about how it would look in 4:3, i really want to try that
i actually still have one like this, it has s video out and i used to use it to play movies on my trinitron wega from my PC, no idea if it still works or how i'd hook it up to my pc though

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Shibawanko posted:

i actually still have one like this, it has s video out and i used to use it to play movies on my trinitron wega from my PC, no idea if it still works or how i'd hook it up to my pc though

If its a pci-e card and you have a modern motherboard with any slots open then you should just be able to plug it in and use it right away.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

A common thing I saw on schmups forums was CRT emudriver: https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

It only works with specific Radeon video cards it looks like.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Well, sadly the FM Towns monitor doesn't display a picture. The power turns on and you can hear the high voltage and degaussing coil fire up on the tube, but the screen remains dark. I did make sure the brightness was all the way up.

I tested all of the capacitors with an in-circuit ESR capacitor tester, and about 7 of them were "suspicious," though none were fully dead. Hopefully replacing those capacitors will get a picture on the screen.

The tube is a Trinitron A34JHS12X, which Google tells me was in a few PVM models.

If I get it working I will probably replace the FM Towns-specific DB15 input with SCART. The monitor accepts 15kHz, 24kHz, and 31Khz video, but it only accepts composite sync. I will need something like this HD15-2-SCART adapter to connect VGA sources like the Dreamcast.

Here's a bonus video to scare worms butthole guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9owbQUhUc&t=336s

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Anyone have any suggestions for shielded subwoofers under $150? I got the CBM-170SE speakers from Ascend Acoustics as were recommended in one of RetroRGB's videos on YouTube and they sound great, but I'm looking to add a little punch. The setup is in a tiny room so I don't need a lot of power.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I don't have a subwoofer recommendation but I wanted to say that I use Edirol MA-15Ds, made by Roland, flush with my PVM and have no issues. Optical and coax inputs for digital, RCA and line inputs, front controls and headphone jack. They are wonderful.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

found an ad for a PVM-1450QM and a PVM-14M2E, both individually are 150 euros. this would be my first PVM, and i'm planning to use it as a backup display at my other house since i'm currently at 2 addresses and want to get my game on

could anyone recommend either of these at this price? would it be better to look for a larger screen/one that accepts 480p or just go for it?

i also have a B&O MX3000 in storage that's only a little bigger but haven't bothered moving here yet, it does have a superior speaker but maybe having a PVM on the side would be nice. what would you guys do?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Has any display manufacturer tried putting an OLED substrate on a surface curved similarly to a CRT? How close could they get to emulating the look of a CRT, with a HDR shadow mask shader?

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

found an ad for a PVM-1450QM and a PVM-14M2E, both individually are 150 euros. this would be my first PVM, and i'm planning to use it as a backup display at my other house since i'm currently at 2 addresses and want to get my game on

could anyone recommend either of these at this price? would it be better to look for a larger screen/one that accepts 480p or just go for it?

i also have a B&O MX3000 in storage that's only a little bigger but haven't bothered moving here yet, it does have a superior speaker but maybe having a PVM on the side would be nice. what would you guys do?

I would probably grab both at that price but definitely snag the 14M2E. It's 500 TV lines which is a bit higher then the other one. 480p support is cool if you can get it, but 480i still looks great on most PVMs. The only thing with that model is that technically it was made for EU regions but I'm 99% sure it supports NTSC voltages as well without having to use an adapter.

Edit: just noticed you listed euros and not USD so it shouldn't matter regardless

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Big Bizness posted:

I would probably grab both at that price but definitely snag the 14M2E. It's 500 TV lines which is a bit higher then the other one. 480p support is cool if you can get it, but 480i still looks great on most PVMs. The only thing with that model is that technically it was made for EU regions but I'm 99% sure it supports NTSC voltages as well without having to use an adapter.

Edit: just noticed you listed euros and not USD so it shouldn't matter regardless

thanks! unfortunately the guy never got back to me, i'm assuming he got a better offer somewhere and just decided to ghost me

yeah i read about the 14M2E and was a bit concerned that it would be PAL-only (i'm in europe but use JP consoles exclusively to get around the slowdown on pal games and also because i just like the look of them more). i think i would've still gone for the other one in the end just to not have to worry about that, but alas

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I’m still hunting for a good CRT around 13 inches. Thrift stores have kind of dried up and people on Craigslist/marketplace want $$$ for their “retro gaming TVs”. I saw a 30 inch Sony someone wanted $1000 for. A commodore 1702 was listed at $300. Local ebay listing of a 14 inch Sony PVM was $600.

There’s lots of CRT in my area that are huge like 30+ inches for reasonable prices like 20-100$ but I want something that will fit on a desk.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

mysteryberto posted:

I’m still hunting for a good CRT around 13 inches. Thrift stores have kind of dried up and people on Craigslist/marketplace want $$$ for their “retro gaming TVs”. I saw a 30 inch Sony someone wanted $1000 for. A commodore 1702 was listed at $300. Local ebay listing of a 14 inch Sony PVM was $600.

There’s lots of CRT in my area that are huge like 30+ inches for reasonable prices like 20-100$ but I want something that will fit on a desk.

The Zen Master says: Perhaps rather than looking for a smaller television, you should be looking for a bigger desk.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

George RR Fartin posted:

The Zen Master says: Perhaps rather than looking for a smaller television, you should be looking for a bigger desk.

:hmmyes:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

There's a guy in Minnesota that made a Facebook group just to collect and share all of the local listings for CRTs. Every state needs a guy like that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

mysteryberto posted:

The Trinitron KV-13FS100 is the gold standard, and I can attest to it being a fantastic little tv because I've been using one as my sole crt for about 15 years now. I dunno what area you're in, but here in Philly you can still get old crts cheap. There are a handful of price gouging cockmonglers that think their rf-only Hitachi tv from 1984 is worth $texas, but it's mostly normal people trying to offload their old junk for a little pocket change or free.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Also maybe keep an eye out for a Toshiba 14AF44. I got one from a friend recently and it would absolutely fit what you are looking for. It’s awesome.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I hit 6 thrift shops today. There is a local Goodwill that has a computer store. They have a ton more electronics than any other Goodwill. Too bad they only had 30 inch TV's and $130 17 inch Dell monitors. I went to another Goodwill and picked up a 13 inch Magnavox CRT with DVD player integrated for only $20. It is a model CMWC13D6. The tube inside is an LG Philips A34KPU02XX.

I powered it on in the store and it looked OK. I got it home and loaded a test pattern. It was rough with pretty bad convergence. There are no returns so I cracked the case open and found the service manual https://elektrotanya.com/magnavox_cmwc13d6_ctv-dvd.pdf/download.html.

I was able to adjust the convergence rings and get it looking a LOT better. I still need to get a remote or find the codes but I had a lot of fun adjusting convergence and having a better end result. I still have more to learn but I find it really interesting making setting adjustments with rings and dials versus a modern LCD/OLED where you don't have to do much.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mysteryberto posted:

I hit 6 thrift shops today. There is a local Goodwill that has a computer store. They have a ton more electronics than any other Goodwill. Too bad they only had 30 inch TV's and $130 17 inch Dell monitors. I went to another Goodwill and picked up a 13 inch Magnavox CRT with DVD player integrated for only $20. It is a model CMWC13D6. The tube inside is an LG Philips A34KPU02XX.

I powered it on in the store and it looked OK. I got it home and loaded a test pattern. It was rough with pretty bad convergence. There are no returns so I cracked the case open and found the service manual https://elektrotanya.com/magnavox_cmwc13d6_ctv-dvd.pdf/download.html.

I was able to adjust the convergence rings and get it looking a LOT better. I still need to get a remote or find the codes but I had a lot of fun adjusting convergence and having a better end result. I still have more to learn but I find it really interesting making setting adjustments with rings and dials versus a modern LCD/OLED where you don't have to do much.

It is fun but if it’s your first time inside a CRT be careful. Take precautions. Use plastic tools, never have both hands in there at the same time, etc. you don’t want your heart to be in the middle of the path to ground. There could be anywhere between 12000 to 30000 volts in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

GutBomb posted:

It is fun but if it’s your first time inside a CRT be careful. Take precautions. Use plastic tools, never have both hands in there at the same time, etc. you don’t want your heart to be in the middle of the path to ground. There could be anywhere between 12000 to 30000 volts in there.

So this must be what it’s like to have a bomb at home. :eyepop: