Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Man's best friend?
Cat
Dog
Why not both?
Bird
View Results

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Going back for trophies and I'm about ready to snap my PS5 in half trying to get through the first zurk section without being grabbed. It seems like a complete crapshoot. The official advice is "yeah it's really random, lol idk try zigzagging? enjoy retrying a ton, dumbass". I tried for an hour without success, it seems to be completely random if you do or don't get grabbed at any given point, and there are like 20 points.

This game looks like a pretty textbook case of Annapurna Trophies, which I have been assured is not an actual thing, but it sure does keep happening in their games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The game is looking quite short but still enjoyable, i'm approaching the last chapter. Not looking forward to attempting the speedrun trophy because it was much more enjoyable just roaming around the more open areas and taking your time. Getting through the sewer without killing any zurks was tense because my poor kitty was getting eaten even though that is also required for a trophy :(

itry
Aug 23, 2019

More cat variants available at https://www.nexusmods.com/stray/mods/

Also a diy guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K0c-lZHByo

Red tux

Tortoiseshell

Black

And... this

Edit: Newly added

itry fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 21, 2022

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I am greatly enjoying walking around telling meows to my robot friends.

Game great.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Me at my shitposting station.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just finished Stray. This is one of my top 3 favorite games of 2022.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've been playing it and I'm not sure I would continue playing it if I played as something other than a cat. The novelty of it seems to be the draw here, even though everything I'm doing as the cat could be done as something other than a cat. Like a ferret or maybe an otter? A small dog?

Cat is cute, game itself is eh

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was mildly surprised when I did the relay tower section and there were puzzles that you have to think about slightly longer than five seconds to solve. Like, I would have been fine with cat in robot city walking jumping and meowing simulator but then they go and sprinkle in a little bit of gameplay too :shobon:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Cat drinks water out of the puddle instead of licking at the drips of water falling into it, 0/10

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stray is extremely good, holy poo poo, this game has no business being this amazing.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I finished the game last night in around 5 hours. Got all of the sidequests and memories on the first go. Wrapped in about 5 hours.

I liked it a lot. It's pretty well paced and exploring the environments, especially The Slums, as a cat is a lot of fun. If you play games for their exploration, then navigating a dense Kowloon-inspired local as a small dexterous character really makes the game. I do really wish the other hubs were as fleshed out as The Slums though. The Anthill is a nice reveal, but there's almost nothing to do there. Midtown is dazzling and its core quest is good, but still lacks the depths of the slums.

If every area had as much going for it as the first, this would be a 10/10 game. As it is, once you enter The Sewers (about halfway through) you've got the best visuals ahead but the best puzzle design and characters behind. It makes the second half feel a bit thin and superficial.

It's still a good experience but I'd have been somewhat disappointed if I'd paid full price (Got it by upgrading to PS+ Extra, so I'm considering it part of a package deal with some other stuff on the service that I wanted).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've only gotten as far as finishing The Rooftops bit because, of course, I mostly just want my cat to have a happy little nap while his robot friend plays songs for him :kiddo:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody else compulsively knocking over literally every object?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SplitSoul posted:

Is there any other way to play?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Knock over everything, scratch everything you can, sleep wherever you find a nook, meow whenever you want attention :hai:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Protip: You can meow in most cutscenes because they're all in-engine.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

itry posted:

:bisonyes:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jerusalem posted:

Knock over everything, scratch everything you can, sleep wherever you find a nook, meow whenever you want attention :hai:

Stray is gonna be a top candidate for my GOTY. Amazing cattery, very cool and pretty Mobius-like scenery, chill beats to cat to.

Also on the PS5 version when you curl up to sleep, the controller starts to purr and vibrate in a very realistic purring fashion.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

In case you were thinking "this game is pretty good, but it'd be much better if the cat had a hat"... well have a look at this Newsboy cap (compatible with all color mod cats) mod.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

gently caress, I am now regretting buying the PS5 version.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I can't settle on a cat color mod and the problem only worsens with each new release! :ohdear:

Think I've narrowed it down to white or tux for the time being.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SplitSoul posted:

I can't settle on a cat color mod and the problem only worsens with each new release! :ohdear:

Think I've narrowed it down to white or tux for the time being.

Which tux though? :evilbuddy:

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

SplitSoul posted:

Jumping onto the table while robots are playing mahjong at the Anthill and knocking the tiles everywhere is loving great. They're so exasperated. It also gets you an achievement.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ the sewers are creepy as poo poo.

itry posted:

Oh my God :vince:

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

Jumping onto the table while robots are playing mahjong at the Anthill and knocking the tiles everywhere is loving great. They're so exasperated. It also gets you an achievement.

That was an incredible moment, haha :allears:

Also a big fan of jumping onto urban cowboy bot while he's napping on the couch on the sidewalk, startling him awake but immediately understanding he cannot disturb a sleeping cat :love:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 21, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Did I do it wrong or is there seriously no achievement for knocking all the billiards balls into pockets at the bar?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I tried it assuming the same and didn't get one either, so I guess not :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

I tried it assuming the same and didn't get one either, so I guess not :smith:

Ditto :sigh:.

I really loved Stray, my only complaint was (mid/lategame spoiler) The whole Zurk issue just disappearing at the 2/3rds mark, especially after whole bit in the sewers :stare:. Could just be me, but it felt like there was meant to be something to tie it all into Neco Corp, given the bits dropped early on in the Dead City and given the level where you finally infiltrate the company, but it just never coalesced beyond "grab the battery and go".

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Did I do it wrong or is there seriously no achievement for knocking all the billiards balls into pockets at the bar?

Surprisingly not. I tried it with both tables in the game, and no dice.

There is something involving a basketball.

Edit:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ditto :sigh:.

I really loved Stray, my only complaint was (mid/lategame spoiler) The whole Zurk issue just disappearing at the 2/3rds mark, especially after whole bit in the sewers :stare:. Could just be me, but it felt like there was meant to be something to tie it all into Neco Corp, given the bits dropped early on in the Dead City and given the level where you finally infiltrate the company, but it just never coalesced beyond "grab the battery and go".

Well, they were made by Neco Corp to eat trash. So there is a connection, just an old one. Over time (centuries?) they mutated into eating metal, presumably because they ran out of organic stuff to eat.

itry fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 21, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Protip: Spin the left stick around as fast as you can in buckets

https://twitch.tv/videos/1537556739

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Meiteron posted:

I didn't lose it at the cat falling down the hole but I did absolutely lose it at the cat limping at the bottom of the hole with their cat friends' upset meows echoing down from far above

I am getting my cat back to my cat friends no matter what

This really upset me as well :(

But now I'm collecting notebooks and sheet music and having a confusing but good time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

itry posted:

Yeah I got that one and then kinda assumed there would also be one for the billiards table.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Just beat the game. So ending talk, the kitty nuzzling b12 and that being the last nap spot loving killed me. I wish we had found the family too. Also the computer board lighting up at the last minute, could it have been b12?

All in all I loved every minute of this game. I wish there was more. More side quests in the hub areas, a few more secrets, just a few extra hours.

At any rate, I'll be replaying this again now for some achievements and again in like a month. Game is good. Hope we get another honestly.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2022

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Me at my shitposting station.

*SMB2 level theme*

Really enjoying taking it slow and exploring everything

as a cat

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Taking my sweet time with this game and soaking in all the atmos. One thing I would love is if you could go to Morusque and request that he play the songs again since you only ever get to hear them once he’s received them and never again (unless something changes that later in the story that I haven’t encountered yet).

Also the cat’s ambient animation is him just scratching his ear, sitting down, stretching, and catching fluff :allears:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.nexusmods.com/stray/mods/31

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I just want to see the cat wearing a little poncho made by Grandma

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Drinkslinger posted:

I was so disappointed that you couldn't do this.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"Eyepatch (compatible with all color mod cats)", aka Punished Cat mod:

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Just beat the game. So ending talk, the kitty nuzzling b12 and that being the last nap spot loving killed me. I wish we had found the family too. Also the computer board lighting up at the last minute, could it have been b12?

All in all I loved every minute of this game. I wish there was more. More side quests in the hub areas, a few more secrets, just a few extra hours.

At any rate, I'll be replaying this again now for some achievements and again in like a month. Game is good. Hope we get another honestly.

I took it as just the humanity-proxy going out into the world again. Actually, now that I think about it, we don't know anything about the larger setting. The rest of the world could be fine.

Drinkslinger posted:

Yeah I thought it'd be for the player at first too :sigh:

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Taking my sweet time with this game and soaking in all the atmos. One thing I would love is if you could go to Morusque and request that he play the songs again since you only ever get to hear them once he’s received them and never again (unless something changes that later in the story that I haven’t encountered yet).

Yeah it's really weird that he/she/it just sits there afterwards, instead of randomly playing pieces.

itry fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 21, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

itry posted:

Edit:

Well, they were made by Neco Corp to eat trash. So there is a connection, just an old one. Over time (centuries?) they mutated into eating metal, presumably because they ran out of organic stuff to eat.

Sure, but then it escalates with the eyes like it's meant to be something even greater than that and... just doesn't go anywhere. And kills your UV light for good measure as though to say "We're done with Zurks, moving on, new story".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also on the PS5 version when you curl up to sleep, the controller starts to purr and vibrate in a very realistic purring fashion.

Does this also work on Steam if you plug in a PS4/5 controller?