Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
For some reason I got a notion to play all the Zelda games in order, skipping LA because I've played the remake recently. I beat Zelda 1, including the Second Quest, but Zelda 2 made me quit because the last stretch of the game is so unbelievably tortuous to play and I now have a much lower opinion of the game

Basically if you enjoy this game, don't ever play it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shibawanko posted:

the combat in gargoyle's quest is way better. i kind of appreciate zelda 2 but i don't think it's really a great game, it's nice that the game exists and is different but it doesn't measure up to the standard of the other games

I agree with this, but it's saying something that Zelda 3 is called A Link to the Past, and it's not just that it stars Link. What really stood out to me about the transition from 2 to 3 is that the single mechanic that 3 retained was the magic meter, and they made it a thousand times more forgiving in 3. They straight up tell you multiple times that you will not be able to proceed in a dungeon unless you have magic power available, where 2 is like "you can stab statues and it might give you a red potion or it might spawn a red Iron Knuckle who will murder you outright, good luck rear end in a top hat"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Battle of Olympus is one of those games I wouldn't look twice at when I was younger because it was a "ripoff" but now I understand it is the superior game in many respects

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Randalor posted:

I love how this sparked a huge debate about how "Nintendo obviously mistranslated his name and its supposed to be Errol/Ellor/whateverthefuck" and it turns out that there was a mistranslation... on his friend's name, which is supposed to be Bug. It's a Bug and Error in a video game :buddy:

I was sure it was Errol for years

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The bloody sword is weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think there wasn't really a solid idea of what "a sequel" to a game ought to look like. Would people really just want more of the same? (Turns out, yes)