Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mysteryberto posted:

My favorite part of Zelda 2

I love how this sparked a huge debate about how "Nintendo obviously mistranslated his name and its supposed to be Errol/Ellor/whateverthefuck" and it turns out that there was a mistranslation... on his friend's name, which is supposed to be Bug. It's a Bug and Error in a video game :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't think it's supposed to be blood, I think it's supposed to be light reflecting off the blade, just with the wrong pallet applied. Unless Link also learned how to shield bash in Zelda 2.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are other NES/Famicom games that tried something weird the second time and ignored it for the sequels - Final Fantasy 2's battle/stat systems basically became their own series (SaGa), Fire Emblem Gaiden went more full-on RPG and then went back to more standard strategy for the next ten or so games, etc.

I dunno about the Final Fantasy one, "We changed a major part of the game system in the new game" kind of became Final Fantasy's thing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Fair enough, but I still think of it that way because it's the one game whose game system they continue to attempt to "fix" whenever they remake it, whereas the others are somewhat rebalanced but not massively different.

That's fair. When the NES came out, RPGs were still in the early days in general. I think Final Fantasy was the first console RPG that both had a wide range of stats to keep track of AND all of your stats were able to increase by leveling up, which ended up becoming the more-or-less standard for RPGs, so dropping the leveling system and having your actions dictate your increases doesn't seem as radical a change. Plus it gave us Saga and Saga 2, two of the best Gameboy games ever made.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RillAkBea posted:

so don't blame the translators at least.

As far as I know, Tomato from Legends of Localization was the first person who actually sat down and looked at the actual scripts. Before that, it was just "known" that there was a mistake with the translation, despite the only proof being "Huh, Error is kind of a funny name". Hell, I remember at one time there was a running belief that it was the game saying there was an error with his name and that it was something completely different. The late 80's/early 90's were a different time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

raditts posted:

I recall reading in EGM or something in the olden times about how Nintendo of America would reject games for US release specifically because they were too similar to their predecessors. At least, that's what I recall about why most of the Final Fantasy games never made it here, but it certainly doesn't explain why we got all six NES Megaman games.

Capcom, Konami and Technos being big enough names in the gaming ecosphere at that time, that when they want to release a new game similar to an old game, you say "Yes sir, how many copies would you like?"