Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
:siren: Day 15 of player list is up here!:siren:

GIGGS PLAYER LIST/TEAM $

Be Your Own GM v.7! We're back and better than ever! Maybe. It's been about a year and a half since BYOGM v.6 and BYOGM v.5 which were keeper leagues, There was also 2018 BYOGM v.4 thread, it can be found right here, with BYOGM v.3 2017 here, as well as BYOGM v.2 and BYOGM v.1.). But this time we're going back to a one-off blind auction format. If you've never seen this or joined in one before, it's usually great fun with banter, some slight competition.. and a lot of really dumb SAS bidding.

This will be a BLIND AUCTION DRAFT. Each day a list of (20-30) players will be posted overnight sometime and will remain open until 7:00 pm EST every evening. You will send me what you're bidding on each player from your $1000 (you can bid on as many or as little players each day). Any bids received after that 7:00 pm deadline are voided for the day. I anticipate this lasting a few weeks (17-20 days), so if you join, make sure you're able to at least send a list a day for a potential of 2-3 weeks. At around 8:00 pm EST, each day's winning bids will be posted live in thread. All lists must be sent privately!

• When you join, please pick the NBA team you would like to be representing.

• This time you will all be starting with $1,000. In the past we did $300, people overspent horribly the first few days, and it's a lot of fun. I want to see what you guys do with more money. It is up to you to decide how to allot your money and what percent of a cap a player is worth to you. Maybe being patient is smart, or getting your guys early.. whatever works for you. You must draft 15 players, and you must make sure your max bids do not go over the threshold (ie: the max you can bid on one player is $986 because the other $14 would be spent on $1 roster spots). But please don't go that high. I anticipate maybe seeing a few guys go over $500 but... be careful!

• I will sim one (or maybe a few) seasons in Basketball GM just to see who has the best team. I may also hold a vote afterwards for all the GMs partaking in this to vote on their best teams, favorite teams (maybe different superlatives), best teams in 3 years, etc. But ideally, the idea is for everybody to create the best teams possible (with the players you enjoy). I don't mind gimmicky teams but please attempt to build with an intent to compete either now or in the near future.

• $ ties are broken by random.org randomizer.

• Each day you send in bids, you cannot go over your max bid of whatever you have left for the day. For instance, you cannot send me 5 bids of $300 because you don't have $1,500. You can send me three bids of $300 if you wanted because you would technically have $900, but again, the rest of the game you would only have ~$100 to spend on 12 players. You get the gist. You can't spend what you don't have.

• Trades are encouraged and welcome. You can trade any sort of combination for players as long as you and the other person can afford them.

• Each day there will be players that aren't taken. Towards the end of the auction, maybe the last day or two, there will be a day where all of the undrafted/waived players are posted and it's first come first serve in the thread. No ninja edits. You can draft a player and waive them if you want, but they will still count against your cap.

• It will include players that as of this date were on an NBA roster last season or is currently on a roster now. Rookies obviously count, stashed players do not count. They have to be part of the roster of an NBA team or signed to a two-way contract.

• I will accept private bids either by PMs or by email, commuziq @ gmail dot com.

Have fun, don't take it too serious, it's always a good time in these threads. Hopefully we can get 30 people but even if we end with 20-25 that's okay. I'll see how long it takes to fill up but hopefully this can start within the next week.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

:siren: GAME IS FULL :siren:

1. a new study bible! as the Washington Wizards

2. Algund Eenboom as the Brooklyn New Jersey Nets

3. Dejan Bimble Fast Luck? as the Detroit Pistons

4. china klay as the Golden State Warriors

5. rivetz as the Portland Trail Blazers

6. JackBandit as the New York Knicks

7. Blind Pineapple as the Houston Rockets

8. DeimosRising as the Orlando Magic

9. kingcobweb as the Denver Nuggets

10. Doltos as the Sacramento Kings

11. Arkhams Razor as the Charlotte Hornets

12. BWV as the Toronto Raptors

13. Drunk Canuck as the Dallas Mavericks

14. Lockback as the Minnesota Timberwolves

15. DC Murderverse as the Memphis Grizzlies

16. xbilkis as the Chicago Bulls

17. Red Rox as the Los Angeles Clippers

18. IcePhoenix as the Los Angeles Lakers

19. The Ninth Layer as the Milwaukee Bucks

20. Carlosologist as the Miami Heat

21. ScooterMcTiny as the Indiana Pacers

22. Salvor_Hardin as the Boston Celtics

23. Arpanets as the Cleveland Cavaliers

24. habeasdorkus as the Utah Jazz

25. Giggs as the San Antonio Spurs

26. Paul Zuvella as the Philadelphia 76ers

27. Veryslightlymad as the New Orleans Pelicans

28. tanglewood1420 as the Oklahoma City Thunder

29. Activia as the Phoenix Suns

30. Punkin Spunkin as the Atlanta Hawks

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 25, 2022

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm in as my hometown Washington Wizards (but I'll play whatever team if anyone wants to swap)

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

I will play as the greatest nba team in history... the new jersey nets

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Detroit pistons unless someone else who'll take it really seriously wants them. if that's the case i'll take an unwanted team

china klay
Jul 4, 2018
I'm the Warriors and I'm gonna win.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Absolutely in on this as the Ppppportland Trail Blazers

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I’d love to take the New York knickerbockers and overpay for some big names and ex bulls

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Sounds cool, I will rep the Houston Rockets.

Just to be clear, there are no "contingency bids" (e.g. I only want Steph for $400 if my $400 for Giannis isn't good enough, otherwise I only want Steph for $300)?

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 22, 2022

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Good to see some new names (unless some of you have changed them).

If you want to see the true power of this format, check out Drunk Canuck in 2017 where he drafted about 9/15 of his team day 1 and accidentally was the top bid on about six backup point guards.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'll take the Orlando Magic

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Blind Pineapple posted:

Sounds cool, I will rep the Houston Rockets.

Just to be clear, there are no "contingency bids" (e.g. I only want Steph for $400 if my $400 for Giannis isn't good enough, otherwise I only want Steph for $300)?

So there's 20-30 people each day that will pop up as the active bids for the day and you just bid privately to me your high bids on each player if you choose to bid on them. They (Steph/Giannis) may or may not be posted at the same time (most likely not) so if you wanted to bid on Giannis or Steph, you can, but obviously if you win a star player early for lots of money you will have less money to pair them with or fill out a roster. It's not one big auction of all the guys at once so you kinda have to be smart with the money and bid where you see fit.

Which is why it's fun and a bit random because of the battles. Some people may win a player for $100 when the closest other bid was $40 but you won't know until it's all all over. But yeah, no contingency bids.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 22, 2022

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Denver Nuggets please!

How will the auction work? Say that two people bid on a player for $300 and $900, does the second person end up spending $900 or $301 (eBay rules)? I’d prefer the latter, I think it incentivizes people to bid what they truly think a player is worth, and encourages fun but high-risk gamesmanship to drive a player’s price up.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

kingcobweb posted:

Denver Nuggets please!

How will the auction work? Say that two people bid on a player for $300 and $900, does the second person end up spending $900 or $301 (eBay rules)? I’d prefer the latter, I think it incentivizes people to bid what they truly think a player is worth, and encourages fun but high-risk gamesmanship to drive a player’s price up.

Should be explained in the rules but it's basically how we've run it in the past (not sure if you took part in the blind auction ones though).

All of it is blind basically. You might be your worst enemy bidding wise. There can be public gamesmanship in terms of people saying what they'll bid publicly, but they can put something complete different in private to make you spend more money than you intended.

$1000 total to fill up 15 roster spots, so no max bid can go over $986 from day 1. That max bid gets lower the more money you spend. So, say you only have $500 left and you have 5 roster spots left, and there's two stars you want that come out on the same day (say, Giannis and Curry) .. you can't bid $495 on both at the same time (your max bid with 5 roster spots left), you would have to split $247 and $247 or split it a different way for both of those to add up to $495 or less than it.

If someone "wins" a player but went over their $ or miscalculated, it will be a voided win and the next highest bidding person gets it. But it shouldn't happen too often if people know the rules and know simple math :)

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 22, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doltos posted:

I'll take the Orlando Magic

What the gently caress

Ok I guess I’ll just take whoever, someone no one else wants

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DeimosRising posted:

What the gently caress

:lol:

I'll give you who I usually get when it's not a private bidding thing (Pels) but you guys can trade teams or whatever if you guys figure something out or swap with a team not yet picked

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Should be explained in the rules but it's basically how we've run it in the past (not sure if you took part in the blind auction ones though).

All of it is blind basically. You might be your worst enemy bidding wise. There can be public gamesmanship in terms of people saying what they'll bid publicly, but they can put something complete different in private to make you spend more money than you intended.

$1000 total to fill up 15 roster spots, so no max bid can go over $986 from day 1. That max bid gets lower the more money you spend. So, say you only have $500 left and you have 5 roster spots left, and there's two stars you want that come out on the same day (say, Giannis and Curry) .. you can't bid $495 on both at the same time (your max bid with 5 roster spots left), you would have to split $247 and $247 or split it a different way for both of those to add up to $495 or less than it.

If someone "wins" a player but went over their $ or miscalculated, it will be a voided win and the next highest bidding person gets it. But it shouldn't happen too often if people know the rules and know simple math :)

I read over the rules, I'm asking about the specific mechanics for what happens when someone wins an auction.

Two players bid on Giannis, Player A bids $300 and Player B bids $900. Player B wins, but do they end up spending $900, $301, or $300?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

kingcobweb posted:

I read over the rules, I'm asking about the specific mechanics for what happens when someone wins an auction.

Two players bid on Giannis, Player A bids $300 and Player B bids $900. Player B wins, but do they end up spending $900, $301, or $300?

OOOH, I get you. It would be $900 though (providing they had the money). If this was a more serious one (which is kinda what we had did the last few times which is why we're going back to this) I'd think about doing it the latter way, but it's quite fun to see how people go about personal pricing and if they have the patience to not go crazy at the beginning. So it's a bit more harsh in terms of potential overbids but creates for some more fun/weird scenarios.

I just like the incentive for people to really think where/how much to spend and it challenges people to try to price fairly and create some dilemma in terms of what you are willing to spend on each person.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 22, 2022

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DeimosRising posted:

What the gently caress

I can swap I just lost the Knicks so I picked the first team I could think of. I'm thinking Kings or Pacers as option 2 since I'd like to run both those teams into greatness

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Doltos posted:

I can swap I just lost the Knicks so I picked the first team I could think of. I'm thinking Kings or Pacers as option 2 since I'd like to run both those teams into greatness

I have fond memories of you as a King

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Finding out someone bid 100 on a guy no one else bid on rules. It would be lame for you to then get the guy for a buck

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doltos posted:

Lol I don’t really care I’ve just never had competition for the magic before

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
I'll give this a shot. I'll take the Hornets.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Strap me in for the Raps baby. One thousand smackaroos. Going to take my team to the mall !

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Oh poo poo I'm back in business

Dusting off the old cowboy boots and donning my stetson

I'm the Dallas Maverick.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DeimosRising posted:

Lol I don’t really care I’ve just never had competition for the magic before

Nah take them I'll just be the Kings

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Excited to sneak away from my family at 6:57pm to refresh furiously so I can find out who paid $227 for Jordan Clarkson.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd love to jump back in this with the timberwolves please!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I would like to continue my reign of terror and vague competence as the GM of the Memphis Grizzlies

also calling dibs on getting my Big 2 back I did really well if you ignore literally everything after the second round

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 22, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doltos posted:

Nah take them I'll just be the Kings

You’re a pal

BWV posted:

Excited to sneak away from my family at 6:57pm to refresh furiously so I can find out who paid $227 for Jordan Clarkson.

I told my wife we were doing it again and her response was “goddammit why”

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
gently caress I wish I could do this but I have a vacation coming up and won't be able to stay on it.

I will still laugh at all of you

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Lemme in as The Chicago Bulls baby

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DeimosRising posted:

I told my wife we were doing it again and her response was “goddammit why”

Time to bring her in as a Magic co-gm, imo

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I will take the LA Clippers and I apologize in advance for screwing up.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I can't believe someone took my clippers. I'm distraught.

I guess I'll have to be the Lakers. Gross.

edit: If anyone really wants the Lakers I will gladly switch to a different team

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 22, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I can't believe someone took my clippers. I'm distraught.

I guess I'll have to be the Lakers. Gross.

$300 for Russell Westbrook

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

$300 for Russell Westbrook

Who do I look like, Drunk Canuck?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What's up DBD! Good to see you're still posting. I'll sign up as the Bucks.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’ll be manning the Heat in this iteration of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I can't offhand remember any Pacers fans and don't want to step on anybody's toes with my grubby little mercenary feet, so I will be playing the Pacers.