Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

While Doncic helped his team his rookie year Dallas still only mustered 33 wins, so it's not like he made them competitive. If we was on a actual competitive team they probably would have had to play him in a much smaller role. Usually it's the stuff that doesn't show on the box score that is a drag from rookies.

I mean, sure rookies can be good but you notice in all your examples none of them played a big roll on a team that was particularly successful.

That's because high draft picks always end up on lovely teams that need more than a star to be competitive unless they got there by having their best player(s) miss the majority of the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

Joel Embiid had two years of nba training, workouts, coaching, and support before he played a single minute of basketball.
Okay, but look at least season for example. Neither #1 pick Cade Cunningham nor #2 pick Jalen Green finished positive in both VORP and WS. However, a basketball-reference query shows there were twenty rookies who did. That's pretty many, and like in most seasons there were a couple who were significantly positive (Mobley and Barnes). It also stands to reason that guys like Cade and Jalen could've finished as positive contributors if the teams they were on had better players around them and prioritized wins over giving them experience from day one.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 9, 2022

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lockback posted:

I mean, sure rookies can be good but you notice in all your examples none of them played a big roll on a team that was particularly successful.
Toronto and Cleveland were pretty good!

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Fast Luck posted:

It also stands to reason that guys like Cade and Jalen could've finished as positive contributors if the teams they were on had better players around them and prioritized wins over giving them experience from day one.
Strongly agree, honestly any team w just these two guys alone is p much a cast-iron lock to be a title contender for the next decade or so. Math is math

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

That's because high draft picks always end up on lovely teams that need more than a star to be competitive unless they got there by having their best player(s) miss the majority of the season

Good players come in late in the draft too, its not unusual at all. But it still usually takes them a season or two to get good or to play larger roles.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Okay, but look at least season for example. Neither #1 pick Cade Cunningham nor #2 pick Jalen Green finished positive in both VORP and WS. However, a basketball-reference query shows there were twenty rookies who did. That's pretty many, and like in most seasons there were a couple who were significantly positive (Mobley and Barnes). It also stands to reason that guys like Cade and Jalen could've finished as positive contributors if the teams they were on had better players around them and prioritized wins over giving them experience from day one.

My point isn’t that all rookies suck, it’s that they usually suck. Sure, rookies can contribute positively but none of us actually know who the ones who are going to be and we’re the ones voting on teams.

Also being Vorp/ws positive is an extremely low bar to clear. There were literally 44 qualified players with negative winshares in the entire league last year. 7% of all qualified players. Turns out when teams can only put 5 dudes on the court at the same time there isn’t a ton of room to play non-replacement level players

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 9, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, positive winshare doesn't mean you're good or that you're even worth your minutes. A team of guys who are at 0 winshare will go...0-82.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Good players come in late in the draft too, its not unusual at all. But it still usually takes them a season or two to get good or to play larger roles.

Yeah but those players are given lesser roles and given time to grow because they're drafted onto a team that doesn't need them to immediately contribute

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

All I’m saying is that the assumption should be that Paolo Banchero is going to come in and be anywhere “bad with flashes of brilliance” to “surprisingly good”. The odds of him being an all star are extremely low.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah but those players are given lesser roles and given time to grow because they're drafted onto a team that doesn't need them to immediately contribute

...and why do you think those rookies are given lesser roles and time to grow? Do you think coaches and GMs are blind to their skills or do you think rookies tend to need time to grow and time to develop before they can be contributors on a competitive team?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

...and why do you think those rookies are given lesser roles and time to grow?

Because they were drafted lower than the top picks so aren't as good or are more of a project, thus not ready to contribute right away, probably.

Paul Zuvella posted:

All I’m saying is that the assumption should be that Paolo Banchero is going to come in and be anywhere “bad with flashes of brilliance” to “surprisingly good”. The odds of him being an all star are extremely low.

this is still a good take though

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Deadbeat Dad, thanks for running this whole thing, it’s been a ton of fun. Is there a charity you like that we can donate to as part of a thank you? Maybe a women’s shelter because of that horrible Charlotte player that was disqualified?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I think it's also interesting to note that terms growth and development occur in so many areas, right? I often make the mistake of perceiving player growth and development in some mental and/or emotional context almost by default , i.e. "I know you love jacking up these long twos but they aren't what this offense needs from you" or "this team wins more games with you on the second unit" etc., but for so many younger players there's this huge physical growth in the mid-20s. I think it's easy (for me, anyway) to overlook that as a fan because most of us see these guys almost exclusively on TV, and mostly from the perspective of a camera thirty feet away from the action, and it's just not the same as seeing em up close and in person. The example I'm thinking of is the beat guys up here in Portland all talking about how Nassir Little is so much bigger coming into this season, and not the 10 lbs of muscle canard, just like 20 lbs heavier, and not just because he's in the gym, but because he's a physical freak who just turned 22 and that's what physical freak bodies do in their early 20s if you take care of yourself. It also takes a lot of guys a couple years to make some decisions about how to approach their careers, like having the maturity to realize that if you want to be your best, it's time to ditch the cheeseburgers and start drinking those lovely protein shakes your trainer's always telling you to drink or whatever. Some guys may not even be able to approach that decision until they have a couple years under their belt and determine that they really do want to make those sacrifices etc.

I dunno what the overarching point is here, just observing that when I read/think about player growth/development I have to remind myself that that encompasses like a whole array of tangible and intangible metrics that have different floors/ceilings and progress at different rates for each player. It's physical, mental, emotional, maturity, self-discipline, endurance, all these different spectrums for improvement, and it's crazy to expect even the most promising prospects to be moving all of em simultaneously in a rookie campaign, especially when some of em aren't even entirely in a 19-year-old's control.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JackBandit posted:

Deadbeat Dad, thanks for running this whole thing, it’s been a ton of fun. Is there a charity you like that we can donate to as part of a thank you? Maybe a women’s shelter because of that horrible Charlotte player that was disqualified?

ye I'll do that too

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Doltos posted:

ye I'll do that too

same here

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think this is largely right. The biggest stuff is:

1. The physical tools to play an NBA season (which requires so much more endurance and resilience than anything else they've ever done). This is definitely true of players who may not even be done growing yet.

2. To be able to adjust to the speed of NBA opponents

3. To have the mental tools to adjust to a new role (you're probably not The Guy), the season grind, and to adjust to playing with people with 2x+ the years of basketball experience.

That's all stuff that takes time to get up to speed with.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought I'd be higher in the bid gaps with my Embiid bid, surprised to see it was my $7 on TLC. NO REGRETS.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

In the past we’ve done a couple of votes, best team overall, best team this year, team best set up for the future, team with most winners etc

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Deadbeat Dad posted:

:siren: THIS IS WHAT WILL BE GOING ON SCHEDULE WISE AS THE GAME WINDS DOWN! :siren:

[list]
[*] There are two days left of bids (Day 17 and Day 18) and then that's it!
Will there be a lot of never-listed guys we can claim after the last day? It seems like there's 50+ worthy players yet to be listed

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I feel like it's time to acknowledge the quality and consistency of the various Barkley gifs distributed across this thread

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Lockback posted:

Yeah, positive winshare doesn't mean you're good or that you're even worth your minutes. A team of guys who are at 0 winshare will go...0-82.

Yep. Which is why I regret several of my earlier bids for rotation players. OTOH, even without my last two spots filled I'm at 41 win shares, so I'm still basically a bubble playoff team and given that I have zero idea of what I'm doing making the play-in would be an outright success.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Fast Luck posted:

Will there be a lot of never-listed guys we can claim after the last day? It seems like there's 50+ worthy players yet to be listed

There will be some guys that just aren't listed in the free agent waivers and then also the last day is going to have more players in general.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

JackBandit posted:

Hey, no problem! And honestly if anybody knows of any good ones and can recommend some charities, any of those will do just fine!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Will start closer to 7:30 tonight so anyone who still needs to send bids, try to within the next 30 mins

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’m gonna right now poo poo lol

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Day 17 bids have been calculated and we will begin yet another day of won players!

Starting with the undrafted guys. These players cannot be picked up until the last few days of the bids which will be a first come, first serve sort of thing. I will announce when it's possible.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

TyTy Washington Jr. has gone unbidded on and will be able to be claimed during the last few days of bidding (it will be announced publicly closer to the date).
Khalife Diop has gone unbidded on and will be able to be claimed during the last few days of bidding (it will be announced publicly closer to the date).
Kris Dunn has gone unbidded on and will be able to be claimed during the last few days of bidding (it will be announced publicly closer to the date).
Sam Hauser has gone unbidded on and will be able to be claimed during the last few days of bidding (it will be announced publicly closer to the date).
Chris Chiozza has gone unbidded on and will be able to be claimed during the last few days of bidding (it will be announced publicly closer to the date).

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Miami Heat (Carlosologist) have signed Jake LaRavia for $1.

(The next highest bid was $0.)

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Dallas Mavericks (Drunk Canuck) have signed Yuta Watanabe for $1.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Minnesota Timberwolves (Lockback) have signed Furkan Korkmaz for $1.

(This bid was won in a coin toss tiebreaker.)

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Minnesota Timberwolves (Lockback) have signed Tomas Satoransky for $1.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Minnesota Timberwolves (Lockback) have signed Furkan Korkmaz for $1.

(This bid was won in a coin toss tiebreaker.)
LOCKBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK :argh:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Good buck grabs!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Washington Wizards (a new study bible!) have signed Jeremy Lamb for $1.

(This was won in a coin toss tiebreaker.)

If Wizards want to add Jeremy Lamb they must drop somebody within 24 hours via PM because of full roster!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Milwaukee Bucks (The Ninth Layer) have signed Shaedon Sharpe for $6.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The San Antonio Spurs (Giggs) have signed Corey Kispert for $1.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Minnesota Timberwolves (Lockback) have signed Mo Harkless for $1.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Los Angeles Clippers (Red Rox) have signed Bones Hyland for $15.

(The next highest bid was $3.)

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

:siren: TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

The Portland Trail Blazers (rivetz) have traded Reggie Jackson ($30) to the Los Angeles Clippers (Red Rox).

The Portland Trail Blazers (rivetz) open up $30 in cap space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Portland Trailblazers (rivetz) have signed Jonathan Kuminga for $12.

(The next highest bid was $6.)