Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Young Freud posted:

so the Gordy who went wild because he was the chimp trained for exploding fist bumps with Jupe, not for crowd scenes.

Huh. Adds a layer of man's hubris without really distorting the theme. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

muscles like this! posted:

I feel really bad for all the people who got eaten just because they went to a show at a chintzy theme park. Especially since it was very much not a good death with all the screaming.

That was especially fun for me since I saw this right after coming back from a chintzy state fair, so that kinda vibe was fresh on my mind at the time!

live with fruit posted:

Did they show Jean Jacket's unfurling? It felt like one second it was the floating eyeball and the next it had all the big sails out. Did I miss something?

during the part where Em is walking to the ebike and OJ is trying to signal for her to run, you can see it slowly rippling, expanding, and shifting forms in the background behind OJ through gaps in the shed

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Did they show Jean Jacket's unfurling? It felt like one second it was the floating eyeball and the next it had all the big sails out. Did I miss something?

You start seeing it unfold after it eats the barb wire that Angel was caught in, as the shots pan from the brother and sister, it gets more and more floaty

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

Huh. Adds a layer of man's hubris without really distorting the theme. I like it.

It's all speculation and fan theory, but at least it's backed up by dialogue from Jupiter himself. He is awfully proud of that 'first exploding fist bump' photo and he mentions the "one of the chimps" line in passing, which makes me think there was a mix up or something. And we're shown earlier that with OJ getting distracted and Lucky getting frightened looking at their own eye and kicking the makeup lady's kit, as well as the Siegfried and Roy mention later by Holst, almost all of these incidents come from handlers getting complacent and making a mistake.

Something that's a bit hosed up is that the Park sons' alien costumes are repurposed chimp costumes and the only thing left of them after Jean Jacket swallows them up are the hands of the costume. Just a coincidence, the name of Jordan Peele's production company is Monkeypaw Productions. Also, they're usually the symbol of a bad miracle JESUS CHRIST JORDAN! :argh:

I feel like Yeun might get an award for this film. Jupiter almost feels like a Scorsese character, like a modern Rupert Pupkin. But feel like that might take away from Keke Palmer and Daniel Kaluuya's performances.

Tyberius posted:

You start seeing it unfold after it eats the barb wire that Angel was caught in, as the shots pan from the brother and sister, it gets more and more floaty

I wasn't sure if that was damage at first when it started unfolding. I thought it was injured, not trying to get OJ's attention but when it's completely gone Evangelion Angel at the end, it's pretty clear what's going on. It's the final form.

I think what's interesting is that up until the stage show feeding, it looks like a solid object, like a spacecrafft, but when it tries to get at Lucky, it kinda resembles a hat, getting kinda plush and fabric looking. It keeps up it's solid look until OJ and team begin racing it, and it starts rippling at a few points like one of the tube men. Then when tries to eat Angel and gets the fence instead, it just gets all weird

Speaking of Jean Jacket, what does everyone think of happened to the original JJ? Em was clearly upset about JJ's fate and Holst brings up The Scorpion King ended up using camels anyway, it sounds like there was an accident and JJ was either killed or had to be put down.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
My interpretation of what it was doing at the end was that it was a threat display. It was injured, it was tired, it was probably aware something weird was up, so it started displaying at the largest creature it had seen (first interpreting OJ + horse as one creature, then interpreting the balloon as a creature). As soon as it tried to eat something again it collapsed back into UFO/sand dollar shape, which also means it probably didn't kill OJ since it stayed in sea-angel form from the ranch all the way until it ate the balloon and exploded.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 24, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Incredible movie. Certainly my favorite film score I've heard in quite awhile. Gordy was absolutely terrifying, the first time I've actually been scared by a movie in years. On a different note, when I saw the Akira slide I clapped!

Something I really appreciated was the Steven Yeuen story, which was so personal for this kind of movie. Gordy's attack is the worst moment of Ricky's life, but because he survives it's also the happiest. That's why he keeps the shoe; it standing up is just as miraculous as his second lease on life. On display, it's totally clean with no bloodstains. Likewise, Ricky believes that by laughing at the jokes and leaning into the experience he has healed his trauma. The Sky Lasso Experience is part of that healing process as he enacts his revenge against animals, killing a horse every week. Where once he was the victim of an animal attack, now he is their master. (This is probably why he invited his co-star to the spectacle.) The tragedy, though, is that instead of healing himself he is recreating the conditions under which the original disaster took place, playing with an animal he doesn't understand, only on a much grander scale. He's trapped himself in a cycle of behavior that he doesn't have the means to perceive until the very end, grinning as he realizes what he's done.

One wonders why OJ never thought about why Ricky had an insatiable demand for horses, but it speaks to his character. OJ can only handle the short-term, thinking only about what he needs to do to make a profit on that day. It takes Em to call into question the long-term plan for the ranch. That itself is also a weakness, since she has a hard time handling tasks at hand when she's constantly hustling for an upcoming gig. It takes OJ's awareness to realize that there is a limited window to capitalize on the creature. They really do need each other, which I thought was such a neat observation on siblinghood.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

pospysyl posted:

Incredible movie. Certainly my favorite film score I've heard in quite awhile. Gordy was absolutely terrifying, the first time I've actually been scared by a movie in years. On a different note, when I saw the Akira slide I clapped!

Something I really appreciated was the Steven Yeuen story, which was so personal for this kind of movie. Gordy's attack is the worst moment of Ricky's life, but because he survives it's also the happiest. That's why he keeps the shoe; it standing up is just as miraculous as his second lease on life. On display, it's totally clean with no bloodstains. Likewise, Ricky believes that by laughing at the jokes and leaning into the experience he has healed his trauma. The Sky Lasso Experience is part of that healing process as he enacts his revenge against animals, killing a horse every week. Where once he was the victim of an animal attack, now he is their master. (This is probably why he invited his co-star to the spectacle.) The tragedy, though, is that instead of healing himself he is recreating the conditions under which the original disaster took place, playing with an animal he doesn't understand, only on a much grander scale. He's trapped himself in a cycle of behavior that he doesn't have the means to perceive until the very end, grinning as he realizes what he's done.

I agree with you up until Sky Lasso Experience although you do make a good point in the rest of it. I am not even sure Ricky knows what is even going on with Jean Jacket or that it isn't a spaceship. We do know he thinks there's someone piloting it called "the Viewers" and that they take the horses but do not return them, so I pretty sure he figures they're eaten or something.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I agree with you up until Sky Lasso Experience although you do make a good point in the rest of it. I am not even sure Ricky knows what is even going on with Jean Jacket or that it isn't a spaceship. We do know he thinks there's someone piloting it called "the Viewers" and that they take the horses but do not return them, so I pretty sure he figures they're eaten or something.

The way it's edited from Gordy's attack to a match cut of Ricky psyching himself up for the show to the show itself suggests to me that those two events are psychologically linked for him, at least on a subconscious level.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 24, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

pospysyl posted:

The way it's edited from Gordy's attack to a match cut of Ricky psyching himself up for the show to the show itself suggests to me that those two events are psychologically linked for him, at least on a subconscious level.

No, I get that part, it's just I don't think Ricky thinks he's killing the horses, at least at first. But then it feels like show business has warped his empathy somewhat.

I think the reason he's reaching out to OJ to come to the Star Lasso show and why he pranked him instead of calling the cops when Em took the statue is because he wants OJ to be a part of the experience, probably as guilt for taking his horses.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VROOM VROOM posted:

and yeah what's up with the shoe

Amidst all the chaos and horror on the set, young Steven Yeun sees between the dead lady and the crazed chimp a single shoe standing upright by itself. It could be seen as either a (bad) miracle given the circumstance it's literally standing out in, or a spectacle (one of many spectacles he tries surrounding himself with as an adult between latching on to show memorabilia, including it, or trying to profit off an alien he's seen often enough to know exists but not often enough to understand, let alone successfully trick himself into thinking he can control)

It's part of the main, or at least one of the main, themes: just because something can be focused on doesn't mean you should, or that you'll learn the correct lesson from doing so

David Ehrlich in his 4-star review posted:

Why are we so eager to immortalize the worst images that our world is capable of producing, and what kind of awful power do we lend such tragedies by sanctifying them into spectacles that can play out over and over again?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Something I liked is that otis sr.‘s fatal wound is through the eye. It fits with the theme that humans are driven to spectacle even when it kills us - we are addicted to watching it, and death comes in that way.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I liked that The creature turned into a big weather balloon like the Roswell wreckage

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't get scared by movies a lot, but that big abduction scene really hosed me up. I used to be really afraid of alien abductions as a kid and this movie triggered that old fear in a way other alien movies didn't.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

oh lmao, I just realized why the motorcyclist has the weird helmet with the cut-out. it's so he can use a viewfinder or display screen on his camera without having to spend time taking his helmet off, since the polarizer to block UV rays would mess with the display.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

oh lmao, I just realized why the motorcyclist has the weird helmet with the cut-out. it's so he can use a viewfinder or display screen on his camera without having to spend time taking his helmet off, since the polarizer to block UV rays would mess with the display.
That dude freaked me out because that was the exact time you'd expect the Men in Black to show up.

Film was astonishing. I was a little janked around by some of the editing but I really appreciated everything by the end, it really threaded together. It seemed clear to me that the entity left because OJ stared it down. No one else had done so. I was not sure at that far of a remove if Otis Sr. had seemed to be looking at something or just looked up, then, well.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 24, 2022

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

You'd think an actress who was a lead role on a network sitcom could've afforded reconstructive surgery.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

You'd think an actress who was a lead role on a network sitcom could've afforded reconstructive surgery.

Well, it was only on air for a season and a half, and it probably was not put into syndication, so she probably didn’t actually make that much money off of it. Also, more importantly, it’s a reference to an actual woman who was disfigured by a chimpanzee in I think 2007, who did eventually get reconstructive surgery but spent a long time living in the same sort of veiled hat getup before that.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Looking back, it's pretty messed up that they put her in the trailer out of context. It came off like it's supposed to be freaky.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

grittyreboot posted:

Based on how they presented the look you get at her, I think she'd probably already gotten about as good as you could get.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Nessus posted:

That dude freaked me out because that was the exact time you'd expect the Men in Black to show up.

Film was astonishing. I was a little janked around by some of the editing but I really appreciated everything by the end, it really threaded together. It seemed clear to me that the entity left because OJ stared it down. No one else had done so. I was not sure at that far of a remove if Otis Sr. had seemed to be looking at something or just looked up, then, well.

More specifically, OJ stared it down after it was already wounded and going into threat display. It viewed him as actually dangerous to it, but he was also backing away while staring, so it wasn't backed into a corner and didn't lash out.

It was intimidated by the balloon, something roughly its own size, as well, but the balloon kept approaching even during the threat display so it attacked.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/Ganserband/status/1550978081481003008?s=20&t=Ngkiw_FvttisiYzSlif9_Q

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Well, it was only on air for a season and a half, and it probably was not put into syndication, so she probably didn’t actually make that much money off of it. Also, more importantly, it’s a reference to an actual woman who was disfigured by a chimpanzee in I think 2007, who did eventually get reconstructive surgery but spent a long time living in the same sort of veiled hat getup before that.

I looked up the real woman on Oprah and jfc that chimp hosed her up bad. Like worse than Nope could portray with all the makeup effects in the world

I remember hearing about it at the time and how chimps were incredibly strong relative to their size

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Adder Moray posted:

More specifically, OJ stared it down after it was already wounded and going into threat display. It viewed him as actually dangerous to it, but he was also backing away while staring, so it wasn't backed into a corner and didn't lash out.

It was intimidated by the balloon, something roughly its own size, as well, but the balloon kept approaching even during the threat display so it attacked.

Well, that and both OJ and Em were trying to attract it's attention to let the other escape, and OJ finally gives in and lets Em take the lead wrangling her own Jean Jacket, calling back to when their father took that opportunity away from her. The scene was much more of a 'I trust you / you got this' between brother and sister than forcing Jean Jacket to back down.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I looked up the real woman on Oprah and jfc that chimp hosed her up bad. Like worse than Nope could portray with all the makeup effects in the world

I remember hearing about it at the time and how chimps were incredibly strong relative to their size

Yeah, a grown man can fight off a chimp, no matter how much the Internet wanks them, but adult ones have killed and maimed kids and old people and even juveniles will still mess you up because they bite and claw at your face.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I loved the use of sunglasses at night

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Jean jacket remix is on the soundtrack

Also this is such a badass track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilp7qHb9U-A

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/1551235779338182656

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Darko posted:

Yeah, a grown man can fight off a chimp, no matter how much the Internet wanks them, but adult ones have killed and maimed kids and old people and even juveniles will still mess you up because they bite and claw at your face.
Yeah, the problem is that they immediately and deliberately go for your eyes/face/lips/fingers/toes/genitals. It's gorillas who can just actually pull you apart if they really care to

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Darko posted:

Yeah, a grown man can fight off a chimp

horseshit they can

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

I liked that The creature turned into a big weather balloon like the Roswell wreckage

Jesus, I hadn't thought about that and you're right. Along with the dragon connection implied when they retreat to Angel's apartment, there's definitely some sort of Gernsback Continuum stuff going on with it, like maybe they've existed all this time, like a flying Coelacanth, but we've contextualized them based off their appearance into dragons or flying saucers and created mythologies around them.

Also, maybe the Roswell incident was a baby one and whatever "alien" remains were actually partially-digested humans.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Well, that and both OJ and Em were trying to attract it's attention to let the other escape, and OJ finally gives in and lets Em take the lead wrangling her own Jean Jacket, calling back to when their father took that opportunity away from her. The scene was much more of a 'I trust you / you got this' between brother and sister than forcing Jean Jacket to back down.

Okay, I'm on board with this. Does make me think that the Jupe balloon was always meant to be used as a distraction or a way to destroy it?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 24, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Young Freud posted:

Jesus, I hadn't thought about that and you're right. Along with the dragon connection implied when they retreat to Angel's apartment, there's definitely some sort of Gernsback Continuum stuff going on with it, like maybe they've existed all this time, like a flying Coelacanth, but we've contextualized them based off their appearance into dragons or flying saucers and created mythologies around them.

Also, maybe the Roswell incident was a baby one and whatever "alien" remains were actually partially-digested humans.

Yeah, there's definitely an argument to be made that Jean Jacket wasn't actually an alien but rather a previously undiscovered animal from earth. The way it behaves makes it seem like a large ambush predator that's evolved to prey on large mammals (like, it disguising itself as a cloud isn't because of technology it's just a natural camouflage reflex).

We never find out where it came from, but we do know why it stayed: Because Jupe has been feeding it.

You're not supposed to feed wild animals (especially predators) because if you do they start to see human homes as part of their territory and feeding grounds, and when that happens things get real violent REALLY fast. For more detail about how bad things like this can go please read "A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear": https://www.amazon.com/Libertarian-Walks-Into-Bear-Liberate-ebook/dp/B083J1FXY8

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
https://twitter.com/tylekurner/status/1551012119625228293?s=21&t=hOUAXTMn_XdoNCQ5vKEc0A

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Enjoy reliving your favorite moment

Nm

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually whatever it’s on page 2 sorry if you need 2 pages to see it

https://youtu.be/l6_-PguHAvg

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Has anyone rewatched it yet? I wanna know if you can see the cloud through the whole movie.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

That honestly was a pretty disturbing scene since it's likely a PTSD coping mechanism to think about a crappy Chris Kattan sketch rather than talking about the actual horror of the event itself. Steve Yuen just knocks it out in every scene.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Im so glad he got killed off in the walking dead so he could be the great actor he is without that trash

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I liked Nope the least of the three so far. Get Out > Us > Nope.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Actually whatever it’s on page 2 sorry if you need 2 pages to see it

https://youtu.be/l6_-PguHAvg

drat my theater went dead quiet for this scene. Not many movies make me feel something on a physical level, but this one did it.

I'd say I like this as much as Get Out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That scene retroactively makes all the scenes where there’s the sound of screaming far off in the distance all the more horrifying.