Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

SlimGoodbody posted:

I thought Peele confirmed NOPE is an acronym for Not Of Planet Earth

The one time I saw him address that, he was being sarcastic like "haha yes I definitely intended that, I'm very smart."

Edit:

Yeah there it is. Very obviously joking here.

Scissorfighter fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

TIP posted:

that looks a lot like the future robots in AI

And the «interdimensional beings” in Indy 4

Spielberg has always used the long thin greys look.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Scissorfighter posted:

The one time I saw him address that, he was being sarcastic like "haha yes I definitely intended that, I'm very smart."

Edit:

That’s not how I took it but I suppose that reading is there. My apologies if I’m in the wrong on this one.

I remember someone posting it was confirmed many many pages ago and that’s the only thing I could find.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

F4rt5 posted:

And the «interdimensional beings” in Indy 4

Spielberg has always used the long thin greys look.

Well, more specific than that, long thin and translucent.

Kinda surprised that the Indy 4 alien became completely solid, seems like crystal skull to crystal alien was an obvious move.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Oh.

My bad.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

God Hole posted:

simplest explanation is usually the correct one: it's indigenous to earth and has been cohabitating with humanity all along. no need to address the space travel dilemma!

yeah like tremors the monster just shows up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nessus posted:

Interstellar bilge water from the Roswell UFO.

I did like the theory earlier itt that Roswell was a smaller member of the species, and the 'aliens' were partly digested human corpses.

...or even a younger Jean Jacket, there's your prequel.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Scissorfighter posted:

Edit:

He confirmed it on the smartless podcast a few weeks ago.

I think begrudgingly, so people would shut up about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Jupiter's Claim website is still a laugh, the way the hats move in the little coin minigame... what does the prize do? I presume it's a photo thing, but I have no interest in Facebook or Instagram.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can take little Instagram pics. Not super worth it

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I did like the theory earlier itt that Roswell was a smaller member of the species, and the 'aliens' were partly digested human corpses.

...or even a younger Jean Jacket, there's your prequel.
In some ways, Jean Jacket literally is a weather balloon.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Timeless Appeal posted:

In some ways, Jean Jacket literally is a weather balloon.

Yup, a balloon that decides weather or not to eat you depending on eye contact.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

This one always skeeved me out as a kid and the actual puppet is even freakier

:stare: Oh God. You can see through it's skin. Why can you see through it's skin!?

I hate it, but I also love it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:stare: Oh God. You can see through it's skin. Why can you see through it's skin!?

I hate it, but I also love it.

If you’re traveling hundreds of years between stars and don’t get any light other than your monitor you don’t need melanin anymore

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7142898274750516522

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Nop.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really couldn't get over how incredibly tasteless it was for Jordan Peele (we're talking beyond Takashi Miike or Gaspar Noe level tbh) to have his Signs riff have a subplot based on the Travis chimpanzee attack with a character appear on screen directly based on the woman who got her faced ripped off. How was nobody there to tell him maybe that wasn't the best idea.
I guess it's okay hahaha!!! She doesn't have eyes anymore so she can't see your mid sci-fi movie hahaha!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 20, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wait until you hear about world war two

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I really couldn't get over how incredibly tasteless it was for Jordan Peele (we're talking beyond Takashi Miike or Gaspar Noe level tbh) to have his Signs riff have a subplot based on the Travis chimpanzee attack with a character appear on screen directly based on the woman who got her faced ripped off. How was nobody there to tell him maybe that wasn't the best idea.
I guess it's okay hahaha!!! She doesn't have eyes anymore so she can't see your mid sci-fi movie hahaha!

:chloe:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Did you actually watch the movie or is this some avant garde Logan Paul review performance posting

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sorry maybe I'm totally off-base, it's just such an incredible and disturbing specific story and felt like such a bizarre choice to take inspiration from. I'm not trying to say the film was like, "problematic" or bad, it's just that having read up on that attack that choice just seemed sick as gently caress. It's not like, any other film inspired by a generalized traumatic event. It's really not the same as making a film about WW2.

I get that there were thematic justifications, it still didn't stop me from thinking about how horrific of a choice it was. I guess it's really just me.
vvvvv

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 20, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Almost as if a big point of the movie is about how humans treat animals for entertainment and fail to understand both their needs and the hazards they present with tragic consequences.

vvv: Maybe you should try reading the thread. It's not that long and there's lots of topics discussed!

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 20, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Reading up though, apparently it's just based on Jordan Peele having a horrible nightmare about a chimp attack...so maybe it's just a case of horrific synchronicity.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's not like Peele was endorsing chimp attacks. He based a scene in his horror movie on a real life horrific incident, which seems pretty common.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Jordan Peele canceled for exploiting something weird like a chimp attack story, and not something normal, like The Holocaust,

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also I’m pretty sure that’s not the only story of a chimp going berserk and mutilating someone

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Person mauled by a chimp" is specific in that there aren't that many stories about it happening, but on the other hand the similarities end at "person mauled by a chimp." The setting, circumstances, victim, and results are completely different. This isn't like that story of a guy maybe being forced to wear a bomb around his neck and rob banks being turned into a comedy.

Also yer post is borderline incoherent so maybe work on your presentation a bit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It sounds like you're rolling in trying to cancel Jordan Peele or something and haven't really thought out how it goes aside from everyone standing up and clapping.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also I’m pretty sure that’s not the only story of a chimp going berserk and mutilating someone

It's not uncommon but Nope is clearly referencing the Travis the chimp attack.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It sounds like you're rolling in trying to cancel Jordan Peele or something and haven't really thought out how it goes aside from everyone standing up and clapping.

Given their rap sheet it's probably more like "I'm going to roll into this thread and gently caress it up with some rear end in a top hat poo poo."

I do think there's an interesting conversation to be had about whether Peele's exploiting a tragedy himself though so tough noogies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfao

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is an important point, I feel. The Travis story is one of the most recent and horrific ones (especially because it doesn't happen to the chimp's owner, but a friend of theirs), but I've read, heard and seen other pet chimp mutilation stories before it, that have made me resolute that if I ever get a chance to meet a live chimp face to face, I'll politely bow out (so I get to keep my face).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, it came up before- that reddit thread with the marine biologist come to mind- that chimps are terrifying when they fight, and do poo poo that makes Mortal Kombat look merciful and restrained. Their literally instinctive fighting style consists pretty much entirely of war crimes, and goes after the weakest available targets, both body parts and individuals, to cause permanent if not fatal damage, and survivors of chimp attacks tend to end up permanently mutilated and crippled. The movie is entirely accurate there.

Comparisons to the Travis tragedy came up, but also Siegfried and Roy, and the incident that Blackfish was written about- all things that the movie evokes with both Gordy and Jean Jacket. (Harambe was mentioned as being an exception for various reasons)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I do think there's an interesting conversation to be had about whether Peele's exploiting a tragedy himself though

I think this is a valid criticism for sure, and I'd love to hear him answer this question.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Send it to the family of Travis’ victim and let us know if they get the reference

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think this is a valid criticism for sure, and I'd love to hear him answer this question.

Why do you think it's valid?

Criticism? I'm going to say the film was as effective because of the exploitation.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

ruddiger posted:

Send it to the family of Travis’ victim and let us know if they get the reference

That doesn't seem very likely? Event Horizon has been somewhat unfairly overlooked in my experience.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I really hated when Tobe Hooper exploited Ed Gein’s victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

forest spirit posted:

Why do you think it's valid?

Criticism? I'm going to say the film was as effective because of the exploitation.

I love Nope but it's also important to examine media, especially one where of the themes is exploitation of tragedy.

Here's Charla Nash, the mutilated survivor of the real life horrific chimp attack

And here's Mary Jo, the survivor of the horrible chimp attack in Nope.

I think the question "is it appropriate to draw such obvious parallels to a real person's situation for the purposes of entertainment" worth asking, especially when the film is making points about exploitation. Nash's story has been sucked up and spit out in a new form. I don't have an answer apart from "it's complicated", and I think tbh I think the only opinion that really matters here would be Nash's.