Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
yuen killed it, its amazing how skillfully he uses the showman mask to recontextualize his trauma

we all knew kaluuya could act, but he had every nuance of a ranch guy down--you can tell how out of depth OJ is when it comes to the business side of things; he's all in on the training and care of the horses. his body language, his gait, his curt way of speaking, it's all so real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Could there be a metatextual layer to the film being a pastiche of Jaws, a film that led to a wave of anti-shark hysteria?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

yuen killed it, its amazing how skillfully he uses the showman mask to recontextualize his trauma

we all knew kaluuya could act, but he had every nuance of a ranch guy down--you can tell how out of depth OJ is when it comes to the business side of things; he's all in on the training and care of the horses. his body language, his gait, his curt way of speaking, it's all so real

His physical performance was amazing. He conveyed OJ's sadness with just his body language.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

That scene retroactively makes all the scenes where there’s the sound of screaming far off in the distance all the more horrifying.

Also, the thing that makes it so horrifying is that it starts with claustrophobic confusion and fear and then as you rise, the next peoples blood starts raining down on you and you know it gets worse.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darko posted:

Also, the thing that makes it so horrifying is that it starts with claustrophobic confusion and fear and then as you rise, the next peoples blood starts raining down on you and you know it gets worse.

What is that thing that woman ends up stopping against? A dissolved horse?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the statue with the flags on it

Segue
May 23, 2007

One thing I was thinking about was OJ and Em and guilt with Jean Jacket attacking Jupe and the audience only after they've fed it with a decoy horse stolen from Jupe's attraction. You could argue either Jean Jacket attacked them just due to indigestion or that it was getting revenge but either way there is a responsibility the film doesn't really wrestle with.

I mean you do have Jupe stopping by and aware of it, or the events being entirely unconnected but it's an interesting wrinkle.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
drat this was 2022 jaws

great movie

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Segue posted:

One thing I was thinking about was OJ and Em and guilt with Jean Jacket attacking Jupe and the audience only after they've fed it with a decoy horse stolen from Jupe's attraction. You could argue either Jean Jacket attacked them just due to indigestion or that it was getting revenge but either way there is a responsibility the film doesn't really wrestle with.

I mean you do have Jupe stopping by and aware of it, or the events being entirely unconnected but it's an interesting wrinkle.

It was already eating people going by the initial rain of metal bits. Jean Jacket attacking Jupe because of the decoy horse goes against the theme of trying to control things you don't understand which is Jupe's failing both with the act and with his inability to properly process his trauma.

I did find it kind of interesting that just before Jean Jacket starts sucking people up, Jupe specifically tells the audience not to use their cameras and his wife gets a closeup reiterating it.

grittyreboot posted:

Has anyone rewatched it yet? I wanna know if you can see the cloud through the whole movie.

Rewatched it today and kept my eyes out for it, but didn't see the cloud before Angel points it out. Most of the scenes that had that particular view were scenes where Jean Jacket was actively hunting or coming back from one.

Segue
May 23, 2007

[quote="1stGear" post="525077431"]
It was already eating people going by the initial rain of metal bits. Jean Jacket attacking Jupe because of the decoy horse goes against the theme of trying to control things you don't understand which is Jupe's failing both with the act and with his inability to properly process his trauma.

I did find it kind of interesting that just before Jean Jacket starts sucking people up, Jupe specifically tells the audience not to use their cameras and his wife gets a closeup reiterating it.

I think this makes some sense. Since it's the first time there's a large audience as well, and the theme of viewership, solid point!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I felt like the ending dragged a little too long, but I loved this movie.

Keith David wasn't in much but he's still incredible, as soon as I heard his voice I was drawn in. And although the alien digestion scene was spooky, I think him slouching over with the nickel in his brain was the scariest scene to me, since it was just so unexplained and weird at the time.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

1stGear posted:

l liked that moment, too; it came across as another variation on what OJ and Em were doing. The siblings knew they had to get the shot before a bunch of outsiders showed up and took control of/credit for their discovery. After what Jean Jacket cost them, they needed to break that family history of being treated as footnotes in their own stories. (Which you see with both the jockey and the fact that Otis Sr. supposedly revolutionized the horse training industry but his business was in trouble even before his passing.)

Jupe was after that same sense of control, but his child star past gave him a different goal. He wanted people to have to see his whole show to get to the "Viewers." Putting it up on YouTube himself would have made him a viral hit, but Jupe had been down that road already. It wasn't enough for him to just be linked to the UFO story. That's also why he hoped to buy the Haywood ranch, controlling all the potential places to see the "ship" would help him build up some buzz and grow the studio audience that the Gordy incident took from him.

Both sides of the story go back to their roots to interpret and make plans for this experience. The difference is that one group is open to what they're actually seeing and the other gets too caught up in a potential result to care about either the danger in playing around with this or the morality of giving up a horse to an unknown fate every night.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Angel messed up reloading the hand crank film, right?

Was anyone else unable to not see the UFO as a big old cowboy hat viewed from below, absurdly coming down to land on your head? I'm not saying it's intentional, I just couldn't shake the impression at times.

I found myself looking away from the screen a bit when OJ would avoid making eye contact with the thing.

Man vs Nature/Jaws is the element of the movie I'd been rolling around in my head; the final act was something new from Peele and it makes me even more excited to see his next film because he's showing he can expand his range as a film maker without losing his touch with horror.

Both Jupe and Angel made a very bad first impression but rise to the occasion by the end, gotta be intentional.

I don't see how turning off a electric bike, what, makes it come to a full stop, but also the bike is fine afterwards, no bent handlebars, no snapped levers, really? That's improbable, if it's going so fast that the rider being thrown off is mortally wounded, the bike is going to get hosed up as it slides. I'd hoped she was going to fetch her own old (kick start) dirt bike and have a Terminator 2 call back when she has to restart it after a power loss. - it'd be an echo to needing the old cameras.

It's simultaneously true that chimpanzees aren't as strong as popularly thought but also they can attack and kill/main even a grown man. There's plenty of anecdotes of grown men being attacks by chimps and none of them that I know of end with "so I beat the poo poo out of that little monkey". Maybe a 200lb+ man that has time to find a shovel, bat, or other solid weapon, but if you're just hanging out near a chimp when it's little switch flips, you're hosed.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I don't know what actual research has been done on the strength of chimpanzees. But check out "hairless chimp" on Google images.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Whatever the case that scene was deeply unsettling and will stick with me for a while. I assume that scene and maybe the space amoeba digestion scene are the reasons this movie is rated R.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
JAWS = Just A White Shark.

Anyone have a theory on the praying mantis that OJ “hadn’t seen in awhile” covering up the camera and fluttering away as soon as the UAP left the area?

It definitely played into the initial “it’s grays”/the viewers idea before anyone knows what’s going on but we never really see it communing with nature again only consuming it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

JAWS = Just A White Shark.

Anyone have a theory on the praying mantis that OJ “hadn’t seen in awhile” covering up the camera and fluttering away as soon as the UAP left the area?

It definitely played into the initial “it’s grays”/the viewers idea before anyone knows what’s going on but we never really see it communing with nature again only consuming it.

My theory is that it was a bad miracle and that's it. Just bad luck.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Good call. Hadn’t considered the bad miracle angle. drat you and your layers Jordan Peele.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Kaddish posted:

My theory is that it was a bad miracle and that's it. Just bad luck.

A “nope”, as they explained on the front porch discussion scene. Loved that they explained the movie title as soon as poo poo started getting weird.

This is the first movie I’ve seen theatrically since Color Out of Space right before Covid hit. Didn’t realize how much I missed it. It was an incredible way to see this movie and the live digestion scene is going to stick with me for a long time. Terrifying and hilarious script that was executed perfectly, best Peele feature yet imo.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
can't stop thinking about this movie

someone posted this on /r/nopemovie

the name "the viewers" seems painfully on-the-nose for Jupe after knowing the full story, but in the context when it's introduced it just seems like a random name for little men from space

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just like his last two movies, I'm still thinking about this one, which honestly doesn't happen often with the movies we see in the theatre. I initially gave this a 6.5 but I think it's better than that and probably better than Us. Get Out is still better but that's like a 9/10 for me.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

can't stop thinking about this movie

someone posted this on /r/nopemovie

the name "the viewers" seems painfully on-the-nose for Jupe after knowing the full story, but in the context when it's introduced it just seems like a random name for little men from space

Given that the Viewer costumes are also chimp/ape suits, Jupe internalized a gently caress load of trauma from the Gordy incident.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

jasoneatspizza posted:

I don't know what actual research has been done on the strength of chimpanzees. But check out "hairless chimp" on Google images.

Theyre as strong as a human 30% heavier in certain actions (anything suited for climbing and such, they're stronger, things like pushing, not as much). So an average sized 100 pound chimp is as strong as an average 130 pound human in things like pulling and grabbing. Plus as stated, they fight like maniacs trying to bite and scratch your eyes and going for your balls while the average person would just be defending the whole time and trying to get them off.

There are multiple examples of grown men fighting off chimps bare handedly, but once you're talking about older people, smaller women, and kids, you get peoples faces bitten off and stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope Nope starts a wave of UFO-related horror.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
NOPE is a piece of slow-roll disclosure like the skinwalker ranch show, disseminating the idea that things are out there and that you really wanna be careful around them

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

There are multiple examples of grown men fighting off chimps bare handedly,

Link please, if you don't mind; I've googled a few articles since the movie and haven't found any such accounts.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Gordy scenes were some of the most haunting/terrifying that I have seen in film recently. Especially after its revealed that the opening scene was all from Jupe's perspective (previously, I had thought Gordy was turning his attention towards us, the audience).

I thought it was neat that when Angel leant everyone clothes, a Jesus Lizard, Mr. Bungle, and Rage Against the Machine t-shirt were all in the same shot. Then, a scene or two later, someone was wearing a Butthole Surfers shirt.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Angel was a great side character. Was worried Holst was gunna get him killed during the climax.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It might have been slightly too cheeky, but when Emerald was giving the safety briefing, I wish she had looked directly at the camera when she told everyone to turn off their cellphones. :v:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The whole slew of supporting characters seemed inessential to me — the one dude tagging along could have been merged with the cinematographer dude as the “gotta document this” obsessive; the TMZ guy seemed to exist only for people still missing the message of the film by then; and Wrenn Schmidt was a complete non-entity.

I really did enjoy the parts with the UFO thing — great design, and it was a fun twist to have it be a living thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Link please, if you don't mind; I've googled a few articles since the movie and haven't found any such accounts.

Found quite a few last year the last time Reddit was doing the (false) chimps are 4x as strong as a man stuff, when it's a lot less and the weight makes a large difference:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40405026

Can't find that same stuff searching on my phone now because someone recently did a poll where 30 percent of guys think they can beat a chimp and that 4x stuff is repeated...yet again. And its dominating the algorithm. I'll have to look through my history on my computer and see if I can find it.

On the anecdotal end, when I was in Uganda following gorillas around, I heard enough anecdotal stories about wild chimps being driven or fought off by singular dudes. If you look at the attacks where people are mauled or killed, it's multiple chimps on one person, or singular against smaller women, old people, or children who are just scared and defending. Theyre scary as hell because theyre like 13 year olds with big fangs and claws that will go berserker on you out of nowhere. Kids would have no chance due to being the same size. And that's where we are in the movie, from the perspective of kids and a scared, pampered actor that just ran and covered when attacked.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

Found quite a few last year the last time Reddit was doing the (false) chimps are 4x as strong as a man stuff, when it's a lot less and the weight makes a large difference:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40405026

Thank you, I was getting flooded with the same junk articles reacting to that poll.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I was just reading the TVtropes page for the film, and It says that Holst took the hand cranked footage with him when he ran off? But that’s not what happened, surely? He shot one reel of not much, had to change film container, Angel put in the new reel, and then Holst took off with a smaller camera, leaving Angel to film with the big one. So they definitely got footage on that one, and Holst’s small camera may have survived too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

I was just reading the TVtropes page for the film, and It says that Holst took the hand cranked footage with him when he ran off? But that’s not what happened, surely? He shot one reel of not much, had to change film container, Angel put in the new reel, and then Holst took off with a smaller camera, leaving Angel to film with the big one. So they definitely got footage on that one, and Holst’s small camera may have survived too.

Well, there were no good shots in the first reel, and Angel put the second reel in wrong, so the first camera didn't get the Oprah shot. The harness camera was both obscured the whole time and would have been lost/destroyed by the leviathan if it'd not been killed, so no Oprah shot there. This makes the final scene necessary and its reward, beyond killing the beast, genuine.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

didn't Jean Jacket suck all that up though? It's been a few days, but I remember him (her?) destroying their little filming tent.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

poor ole jean jacket, thought of a balloon and died

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jean jacket’s brother coming in for revenge like

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

didn't Jean Jacket suck all that up though? It's been a few days, but I remember him (her?) destroying their little filming tent.

You can see a film reel unwind as it rolls down the hill with Angel. So some of it definitely got ruined.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

All that dust from the twisters couldn't have been good for the film either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.jupitersclaim.com/