Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I really hope Hockey Canada receives a timed ban from participating in international competition. Of course, it will never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

The USA Gymnastics scandal was just as bad, some of the victims were as young as 12 when it started, wouldn’t be surprised if it was younger though. They did the same thing as Canada hockey and passed around known predatory coaches to keep the scandal under wraps.

Unfortunately any organization that has power over young children is going to have issues attracting the wrong people. Add in the money and prestige and you're asking for trouble. English soccer had its issues
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_football_sexual_abuse_scandal with sexual abuse from coaches and also players raping people. The Catholic church is probably the worst case scenario in terms of scale, but it comes from the same place. Horrible monsters are unfortunately good at finding organizations that care more about other things (money, results, etc) than people to protect them.

And for the NCAA, Baylor (just the first one I could think of, there's probably more) didn't get burned to the ground so it's not the model that's the problem, it's the people running it actually giving a poo poo. All the safeguards don't mean poo poo if the people ultimately making decisions think it's no big deal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1555902474673917952?s=20&t=Uriyh0w2QKyuwEJ7ZlBJHQ

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is he related to Rod?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is he related to Rod?
No

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is he related to Rod?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Oh my god. I just laughed for a good two minutes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmfao goddamn

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hey everyone, what Darryl Katz did was totally a-ok cause she was 18 and not 17 as previously reported. Totally on the up and up and he is a good person who would never do bad sex things and so on and so forth and gently caress him.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/claims-against-edmonton-oilers-owner-daryl-katz-withdrawn/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1562905497002319873?t=vitZV7M3gCkNIAQMbQ1krA&s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Navigator are scummy as hell. They led the disinformation campaign that allowed Michael Bryant to walk off scott free after he deliberately murdered a cyclist with his car for no reason.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

loving love McDavids statement: "this is really awful for everybody"

Yeah, it's really awful for the rapists and the rape enablers that this has come to light.

In the CBC sorry about it this morning the very next line after that quote is "these allegations have not been proven in court"

Burn in hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1571925886521475073

Jesus Christ

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Almost $7 million in legal fees for Graham loving James but it's the media that's the problem.

Jesus, burn the organization down with everyone inside it.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Earlier this year, Québec’s education minister sent the QMJHL an ultimatum - either impose stricter rules against fighting, or the government would refuse to sanction the games.

Do the feds not play a part in sanctioning all non-professional games in Canada? If so, could they not simply refuse to sanction games until Hockey Canada takes action to fix hockey culture?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Misanthrope posted:

Jesus, burn the organization down with everyone inside it.

:hmmyes:

Full disclosure: I'm American, and really shouldn't throw stones about this sort of thing. Our athletic institutions are probably similarly hosed up.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

deoju posted:

Full disclosure: I'm American, and really shouldn't throw stones about this sort of thing. Our athletic institutions are probably similarly hosed up.

oh yeah it's sexual assaulters from top to bottom. i live in a town with a population of about ~3500-4000 people. during my time in middle and high school, we had 3 teacher-coaches fired for diddling or diddling-adjacent behavior. the gently caress is that ratio! at one school over 6 years?! one of em was straight up tongue kissing 7th graders, in his classroom during school hours, and you know the punishment he received? he got to retire gracefully and we threw his rear end a party to say goodbye and made the one girl who protested go sit in the principal's office by herself lmaooooo coach a football team real good and you can do whatever you want with the children, folks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

oh yeah it's sexual assaulters from top to bottom. i live in a town with a population of about ~3500-4000 people. during my time in middle and high school, we had 3 teacher-coaches fired for diddling or diddling-adjacent behavior. the gently caress is that ratio! at one school over 6 years?! one of em was straight up tongue kissing 7th graders, in his classroom during school hours, and you know the punishment he received? he got to retire gracefully and we threw his rear end a party to say goodbye and made the one girl who protested go sit in the principal's office by herself lmaooooo coach a football team real good and you can do whatever you want with the children, folks

I recently found out a kid I knew growing up left his wife for a student of his at the high school we went to (he became a teacher)I found out via a coworker who he tried to gently caress...when she was 16. He's 39.

Institutional diddling is in a LOT of careers and areas.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's almost like pedophiles and other maladjusted sociopaths actively seek out career paths that surround them with people they can abuse and take advantage of.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

It's almost like pedophiles and other maladjusted sociopaths actively seek out career paths that surround them with people they can abuse and take advantage of.

And incredibly people will defend these institutions.

See also: Church, the Catholic

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

St. Dogbert posted:

Earlier this year, Québec’s education minister sent the QMJHL an ultimatum - either impose stricter rules against fighting, or the government would refuse to sanction the games.

Do the feds not play a part in sanctioning all non-professional games in Canada? If so, could they not simply refuse to sanction games until Hockey Canada takes action to fix hockey culture?

They definitely could do a lot but won't. Canada exists as an oil and mining consortium and the only pay masters that matter after them are the telecoms. If it isn't loving with that money, nothing gonna happen.

Plus our politicians are mostly rich white kids that look fondly back on their time in or adjacent to HC stuff in some capacity. Everyone has good hockey memories and boy will be boys/rapists.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

El Gallinero Gros posted:

See also: Church, the Catholic

I was thinking mostly about cops but yeah, there are examples of it everywhere and in all of these institutions it seems like 'sweep it under the rug' is the most common solution.

Actually, thinking about it now... the only real examples I can think of where toxic, dangerous people are excised from their communities, have been in the arts; Hollywood, the music industry, etc... Obviously this isn't true of every case - there are still sexpest comedians making comebacks - but it seems like the only real high-profile ostracizations (and sometimes prosecutions) of pests has come from the arts. I'm drawing a blank otherwise.

Other organizations like politics, athletics, law enforcement, all seem to love to just bury it. Maybe because they're largely boys' clubs and nobody wants to rock the boat, or maybe because higher-ups in their power structures also have the same skeletons in their own closets and they don't want to start the ball rolling and end up exposed.

Just thinking out loud.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I recently found out a kid I knew growing up left his wife for a student of his at the high school we went to (he became a teacher)I found out via a coworker who he tried to gently caress...when she was 16. He's 39.

Institutional diddling is in a LOT of careers and areas.

the career counselor at my high school left his wife for a 17 year old he met through his own daughter

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Only tangentially related to the thread topic, but I question the values of this guy.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/holland-defends-decision-to-invite-virtanen-to-edmonton-oilers-camp

quote:

Ken Holland made it clear that he isn’t going to let the court of public opinion overrule a court of law.

In explaining his rationale for inviting Jake Virtanen to training camp, the Edmonton Oilers general manager said it simply boils down to trusting the legal system.

If a 12-person jury in British Columbia heard all the evidence and found Virtanen not guilty of sexual assault, Holland doesn’t see why the 26-year-old former Vancouver Canuck shouldn’t be free to pursue his career.

“The most important thing is that he went to a court of law and a judge and jury found him not guilty,” said Holland, who had two sit-down sessions with Virtanen in the last few weeks before offering him a tryout.

“The biggest thing for me is to have faith in the legal system. If we lose faith in the legal system, I don’t think that’s a good thing.”

Virtanen was charged in January with sexual assault in connection with an incident in a downtown Vancouver hotel room in September 2017 when he was 21 and the accuser was 18. He said the encounter was consensual.

After a week of testimony, the Supreme Court of British Columbia ruled in Virtanen’s favour.

There is still a civil case pending.

If the criminal case hadn’t been heard and resolved, Holland says we aren’t having this conversation.

“If it had never gone before the courts, he wouldn’t be here, I wouldn’t go there,” he said. “It went before the legal system. A judge and jury heard both sides of the case and made the decision that he’s not guilty.

“The legal system, in my mind, guided me to offer him a pro tryout.”

***And I got him mixed up with the other dumb rear end in a top hat that's in the Oilers leadership group, my bad lol... I just saw red when the article came up on my twitter feed

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 22, 2022

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

deoju posted:

My high school was ~nationally ranked~ for football and the year after I graduated a coach got arrested for loving students, the principal got fired for covering it up, sued to get his job back, and walked away with a $500,000 settlement and a promotion

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E: nah, not the thread. Needless to say, way the gently caress too many teachers touch kids.

Burn Hockey Canada to the ground, etc.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 22, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

deoju posted:

Look, unless you have taken even a tangential part in poo poo like this yourself it's perfectly okay to be extremely angry and "throw stones" about the situation at hand here.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So it looks like there was an additional 7.1 million dollar fund for payoffs:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1576899518297055238?s=20&t=4yx8p1_N3M2oOOtMc4ndBw

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gee I guess we could make a second breakfast meme if it wasn’t so hosed up in the first place.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/tsnhockey/status/1577617717380763651?s=46&t=BU6ywRBZeqAe6rn6tKXLIg

Sounds like Hockey Canadas refusal to make meaningful front office changes after all of this poo poo came to light is going to hit them where it actually hurts - financially

https://twitter.com/cbcnews/status/1577629753409929217?s=46&t=BU6ywRBZeqAe6rn6tKXLIg

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hope every other province follows suit.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Ontario have pulled out, and now Tim Hortons have pulled sponsorship of Mens Hockey.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

All because this fucker won’t resign. Incredible, but not surprising.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1578028876642385925

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
If Hockey Canada is refusing change at the top this much, why the gently caress would anybody believe that they’re suddenly going to change the way they handle sexual assault allegations?

Scott Smith is a national embarrassment, you can’t hide from the media until this blows over bud. How many more millions of sponsorship dollars have to be pulled before HC forces him to step down?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

If Hockey Canada is refusing change at the top this much, why the gently caress would anybody believe that they’re suddenly going to change the way they handle sexual assault allegations?

Scott Smith is a national embarrassment, you can’t hide from the media until this blows over bud. How many more millions of sponsorship dollars have to be pulled before HC forces him to step down?

Yeah that’s the lovely part, having some top level executives resign is already mostly performative nonsense to symbolize change when nothing about the culture actually changes for the better. Yet that is the incredibly low standard that is being asked of HC and they still refuse.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Feels very "you can't tell us what to do! We're a Canadian institution, if you threaten us it's threatening to harm all of hockey in Canada!"

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Levitate posted:

Feels very "you can't tell us what to do! We're a Canadian institution, if you threaten us it's threatening to harm all of hockey in Canada!"

On Tuesday during Andrea Skinners brutal Parliament Hill appearance she pretty much said it’s thanks to Hockey Canada that small town rinks can even exist lol. They all think they are a lot more important than they are

Her defending the handling of it:
https://twitter.com/iankennedyck/status/1577382872276770826?s=46&t=S7AZZHXbyCqu9eMlqwCl6Q

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The problem in hockey culture very obviously comes from the very top and I'm glad the Hockey Canada people have revealed just how lovely they are to everyone. Burn it all down, it's not worth trying to save it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Trudeau suggesting Hockey Canada might get No Homered if someone steps up.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/prime-minister-justin-trudeau-floats-idea-of-replacing-scandal-plagued-hockey-canada-1.6098964