Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I hope the company that made this also decides to do a remaster/remake of Mother 3.

I've completed all chapters except for Near-Future and everything after that, and every one has been great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Started on Near Future because I wanted to know if the theme had vocals for the remake. I was not disappointed.

Did not remember that there was a sidequest where you recruit one of the kids to steal your caretaker's savings. Kinda makes the character a bit of a poo poo.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Started on Near Future because I wanted to know if the theme had vocals for the remake. I was not disappointed.

Did not remember that there was a sidequest where you recruit one of the kids to steal your caretaker's savings. Kinda makes the character a bit of a poo poo.

They steal something a lot more personal in the fan translation so it's an improvement.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Unlucky7 posted:

That’s one of the bits they changed. In the original you were stealing her panties.

Not hard to see why they changed it, but the new version does feel kind of weird in its own way.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
Does the remake include the running joke with the dead Watanabe dads?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ClothHat posted:

Does the remake include the running joke with the dead Watanabe dads?

Of course it does!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Snake Maze posted:

That’s one of the bits they changed. In the original you were stealing her panties.

Not hard to see why they changed it, but the new version does feel kind of weird in its own way.

I forgot this was made in the 90s, so of course there was ”Good Natured” sexual harassment. :ughh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One chapter down.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

Nintendo has a behind the scenes look at the new go go titan song and shows the singer is the same guy who sung “cha la head cha la” for dragon ball z.

Spent about 8 hours on various planes today and was able to clear 4 chapters leaving me with prehistoric left. I forgot that this chapter has you throwing poop and farting on enemies.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I've played six chapters, and started on Near Future as the seventh. This version has sanded off the rough edges of the original and generally been an extremely solid improvement.

Sure, they made cigars into jerky, and removed some references to women's underwear. And humanity's first word is no longer Love... but also I got to tell a man I'd suck his mama's tits, so overall I heartily approve.

Oh, and the music. The glorious new takes on what were already some of the SNES's best tunes. The amount of sheer sax in some of them.
:discourse:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a reason (or anything to do really) for going into a completed chapter? Finished one yesterday and it looked like I could select it again in the main screen.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a reason (or anything to do really) for going into a completed chapter? Finished one yesterday and it looked like I could select it again in the main screen.

It's kind of a spoiler but you get to use your characters at the end again

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never played the original and kinda bounced off the demo because I picked the ninja (which I now know I should save for much later)

I picked Imperial China this time and I'm immediately charmed by how much personality there is in this game. I love the shifu's "Hmm, if it isn't <item>" text every time he finds something and I'm already looking forward to everyone else's little dialogue touches.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I finally made it to Chapter 8, and I gotta say, I did not expect the dramatic finale to be a bog standard final fantasy knockoff with a silent protagonist. You had better have a hell of a twist in store, game! Though I guess the wizard is kinda cool, just got a straightforward arsenal of the final fantasy elements.

I keep wracking my brain for some overarching plot, but all I've pieced together is that all the villains are named Odio and have some flavor of JRPG villain "greater good through awful means and also awful ends really" motivations (except the gatling gun ghost horse, he seemed cool). Also Watanabe's dad is gonna die, but they popped that one off in the tutorial.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 24, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I finally made it to Chapter 8, and I gotta say, I did not expect the dramatic finale to be a bog standard final fantasy knockoff with a silent protagonist. You had better have a hell of a twist in store, game! Though I guess the wizard is kinda cool, just got a straightforward arsenal of the final fantasy elements.

I keep wracking my brain for some overarching plot, but all I've pieced together is that all the villains are named Odio and have some flavor of JRPG villain "greater good through awful means and also awful ends really" motivations (except the gatling gun ghost horse, he seemed cool). Also Watanabe's dad is gonna die, but they popped that one off in the tutorial.

I'll just say that this chapter will not disappoint.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For when I get to the Edo Japan chapter: if I'm not going for a perfect pacifist run, should I care about how many guards I kill at all?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Harrow posted:

For when I get to the Edo Japan chapter: if I'm not going for a perfect pacifist run, should I care about how many guards I kill at all?

For guards, I don't think the count really matters, but there's a good prize if you don't kill women, and they're not hostile anyway. It's easy to miss, though. When someone thanks you for your mercy, wait until she comes back.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Nah, you can kill as many or as few as you want.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Edo so what’s the deal with the women? In the snes game I assumed you were just a psycho slashing up people but in the remake the dialog implies they’re in on the evil poo poo

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Harrow posted:

I think the only thing that matters is if you Get the prisoner out of jail or not, because there's a bad ending if you manage to beat Ode Iou without freeing them.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Arrrthritis posted:

I think the only thing that matters is if you Get the prisoner out of jail or not, because there's a bad ending if you manage to beat Ode Iou without freeing them.

Really? I thought he shows up regardless because you can't rescue him on a pacifist run so he'll show up on his own if you don't, or does that only happen if you have zero kills?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I don't know why I decided I was going to kill the fish in the Japan chapter at level 8 with only two party members, but I did and it's dead. The higher your numbers the lower the number of dice you have to roll there (can you poison it? does it paralyze you? can you interrupt Floodcall?), but if you get a little lucky (and you have the ten Castella Cakes from a pacifist run) then your numbers don't need to be that high.

Probably better to just kill ghosts in the warehouse for a while if you really want the scale, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Finished all Chapters but Near Future so far. And just a few minutes ago while thinking about the game I just realized all the major bosses have a connection

The letters O and D. Prehistory has Odo the Dinosuar, China has Ou Di Wan Lee, Present has Odie O' Bright, Future had OD-10, Wild West has O. Dio, Edo Japan has Ode Iou. I have no idea if this means anything or was just for fun.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 25, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Finished all Chapters but Near Future so far. And just a few minutes ago while thinking about the game I just realized all the major bosses have a connection

The letters O and D. Prehistory has Odo the Dinosuar, China has Ou Di Wan Lee, Present has Odie O' Bright, Future had OD-10, Wild West has O. Dio, Edo Japan has Ide Ode. I have no idea if this means anything or was just for fun.

It's a spoiler, that much is true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Finished the remake and just overall super pleased with it. It has some annoying bits still but by and large it stands the test of time *really* well. Not every chapter is a hit but that was true in the original and the overall smoothing out of gameplay helps a lot.

Genuinely a top tier remake of a weird cult game that thrives on the love and attention

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Been switching around the dubs to see what everyone sounds like and the Wild West characters are so drat good in English. My boy Mad Dog ftw.

I think the only chapter I liked better in Japanese was imperial China and that's because Lei sounds like a Yakuza character and their actor goes full ham with it.

Remake kicks rear end, gamers

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I usually go dub but this time went with Japanese for Sugita.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
They really had fun with the dialogue in middle ages didn't they? loving soliloquies left right and center. Voice actors seem to not fully know what to do with it but they clearly loved it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I like sub for Near Future because they got Koji Kabuto and Ryoma Nagare's VAs from Shin Mazinger and Shin Getter.

It's even cooler because Shifu in Imperial China is voiced by the VA for Koji in the original Mazinger Z anime from the 70's

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Willo567 posted:

I like sub for Near Future because they got Koji Kabuto and Ryoma Nagare's VAs from Shin Mazinger and Shin Getter.

It's even cooler because Shifu in Imperial China is voiced by the VA for Koji in the original Mazinger Z anime from the 70's

Masaru is voiced by Tomokazu Seki, AKA Domon Kasshu. And the original character designs for Akira's chapter (which were updated/replaced by the remake's unified art style, but the old illustrations can be easily found online) were made by the man who would go on to do the character designs for G Gundam. I'd spout off more trivia, but I already soft-hijacked YappingEevee's old LP of the SNES version doing that.

I actually noticed something unusual in Oboro's chapter, and I'm wondering if anyone else discovered it, and also if it was in the original game or not. In the trap attic, against the flame icons, if you let them, they can use Phoenix Call, and if they do (you may need to be hit by it), at the end of the fight, Oboro learns it immediately, rather than needing to reach level 12. I imagine the same holds true for his other moves, that you can learn them early by getting the enemy to use it on you. Is that a new feature, or is it something that's gone unnoticed about the game up to this point?

By the way, while I like most of what's been done with the translation, some of it is kind of questionable. Needlessly changing the chapter titles and end cards, for one thing (the new titles lack the impact of the originals (even just adding a "the" to Mechanical Heart just takes away some of the pop, plus naming all the chapters like that kinda soft-spoils the ending of Oersted's chapter for an observant player), and the end cards ruin the aesthetic through-line of ending each chapter with a genre-appropriate variation on "the end"). Also, "O'Bright" is both gibberish from a linguistic standpoint that looks and sounds stupid, and ruins the reference being made in Odie Oldbright's name, that being to Gary Albright, a pro wrestler who worked in Japan for a while, and became quite well-known, as one of the few westerners working the circuit at the time. While I'm at it, "Odo" is just as stupid, because everyone is going to pronounce it like the Deep Space Nine character, when it's supposed to be said as "O-D-O" because that's the naming convention. That said, props to the translation team for actually coming up with a decent name for the notoriously hard-to-translate tile-absorbing ultrashoes in Oboro's chapter, where the original name is basically a pun where a phrase meaning basically "This dude just went 'whoa'" includes "geta". Also, I only just learned when researching the original name for those shoes on Japanese websites, that there's a secret in Oboro's chapter that seemingly no English-speaker is aware of! If you grab O-Robo during a no-kill run, then take him to the end of the wall to the left of the castle gate, you can look in the little hole in the castle wall to see a secret congratulations message on the marriage of a couple of the devs. I doubt this made it into the remake, but I'll definitely check and see for myself in a bit.

By the way, everything else aside, is it just me or is King Mammoth actually somehow even more bullshit than before? He just seems way harder to hit with anything. Took me ages to kill him, and even longer to get the cola bottle.

EDIT: I just checked (it just so happens my save is in the middle of storehouse grinding), and it's there. I mean, the castle walls are rearranged a bit but the event is still in the game. Now I kinda wanna fire up my SNES emulator to see if Aeon Genesis even translated the scene, because this is the first I've heard of it.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 25, 2022

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In the Distant Future scenario, when you gain access to Kirk's quarters, you can enter a password. Is there a clue for that password anywhere? If so, is the clue accessible at the same time the password entry is? If not, what's the password?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

In the Distant Future scenario, when you gain access to Kirk's quarters, you can enter a password. Is there a clue for that password anywhere? If so, is the clue accessible at the same time the password entry is? If not, what's the password?

In the fan translation of the original the password is “Warp”. I didn’t try it myself but I would try it or “Warp Speed”.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SettingSun posted:

In the fan translation of the original the password is “Warp”. I didn’t try it myself but I would try it or “Warp Speed”.

It's Warp Speed and you find the clue via a recorded message.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh my gosh the start of the Near Future chapter. :allears:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just finishing Prehistory, but lol that they got Vegeta’s JP voice actor to play the smug dickhead rival character, perfect. There’s supposed to be super boss, right? Am I right in figuring that if I wither need to restart the chapter entirely or even if I can still fight it I might as well restart to have Beri with me?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Last Celebration posted:

Just finishing Prehistory, but lol that they got Vegeta’s JP voice actor to play the smug dickhead rival character, perfect. There’s supposed to be super boss, right? Am I right in figuring that if I wither need to restart the chapter entirely or even if I can still fight it I might as well restart to have Beri with me?
No need to worry, all the secrets and the bonus boss are only available right before the final boss room's door.

EclecticTastes posted:

I'd spout off more trivia, but I already soft-hijacked YappingEevee's old LP of the SNES version doing that.
Hey, pal. :haw: You added a lot of cool stuff, and surely improved the experience. And are still discovering neat secrets, it seems!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

No need to worry, all the secrets and the bonus boss are only available right before the final boss room's door.

Oh cool, time to go back and roam the wilderness!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh my gosh the start of the Near Future chapter. :allears:

👁️👁️

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Maybe that should be behind spoiler tags :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Yapping Eevee posted:

Hey, pal. :haw: You added a lot of cool stuff, and surely improved the experience. And are still discovering neat secrets, it seems!

I ate an apple on a hot mic I didn't realize was picking it up during that stream at the end of the LP. No just God will forgive my sins. :negative:

Also I totally missed that Gibson was probably not referring to Mel Gibson (Maverick came out the same year as Live A Live and also was barely a western), but rather Hoot Gibson, an old western actor from the earliest days of the genre. So there's some Special Bonus Director's Cut trivia.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 25, 2022