Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

EclecticTastes posted:

I ate an apple on a hot mic I didn't realize was picking it up during that stream at the end of the LP. No just God will forgive my sins. :negative:

Also I totally missed that Gibson was probably not referring to Mel Gibson (Maverick came out the same year as Live A Live and also was barely a western), but rather Hoot Gibson, an old western actor from the earliest days of the genre. So there's some Special Bonus Director's Cut trivia.
Given I managed to waste the first 40m of that stream due to forgetting to save and getting stomped, I think you're fine. :v:

Speaking of, I am rather annoyed the Switch disables screencaps for the end of the Middle Ages chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'm a little annoyed that the marketing spoiled that the Middle Ages chapter exists at all, it was a great surprise. I've actually gotten a couple people I know to get and play the remake and have been showing them the various secrets, and I've made sure they have no idea it's coming.

Also, the remake finally gave Wayne's wife a name, that being Dallas, which is the same as the original "hooker with a heart of gold" from Stagecoach (portrayed by Claire Trevor), the film that made John Wayne's career.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just finished Middle Ages, and major spoilers And went onto Odio's story which is way cooler than it has any right to be.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That King Mammoth sure is something. I ended up grinding to level 10 to fill out my missing skills and he still tore me a new rear end in a top hat. The real hard part is when he, you know, explodes.. Because of course he does, why wouldn’t he?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

King Mammoth is much more reasonable when you realize the fertility item is an area heal, which buffs you, and has infinite uses. Combine a hard rock and a stone knife. Level 10 should be fine as long as one of your characters is spamming it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I have one of those, the main issue is that he’s so dodgy half my attacks seem to miss, and then he does his explosion move which is pretty easy to healtank through but heals him for ~200 HP before I can turn them into poison tiles. Idk, is there something I can craft that boosts accuracy, because it would be a pretty easy fight if Pogo’s hits could consistently land with the stone healing buff.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It took me a few tries to beat that one, but here's what worked:

• Alternately inflict stun and sleep with Pogo
  • Have Gori heal with a Fertility Charm or replenish the poison tiles underneath it as needed
  • Keep Gori diagonally adjacent to it in order to bait out weaker attacks
  • If it creates a bunch of fire tiles, you're probably screwed, but try to override them with poison tiles

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
While it’s nice to have the fertility charm, I found it was better to heal with the meat from hunting when you can. The charge time on the charm is long enough that there were a couple times that using it meant the boss was able to put fire tiles down and heal from them before I could get a chance to stop him. Meat is instant, and the large one is an aoe full heal.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Last Celebration posted:

Just finishing Prehistory, but lol that they got Vegeta’s JP voice actor to play the smug dickhead rival character, perfect. There’s supposed to be super boss, right? Am I right in figuring that if I wither need to restart the chapter entirely or even if I can still fight it I might as well restart to have Beri with me?

Important note, I have no idea if it'd happen to anyone else but when I completed the chapter and reloaded to go back to fight King Mammoth, he wouldn't spawn anymore so if you wanna get him maybe do it before actually beating the boss.

Edit: I played through the ninja chapter last night and got the two super bosses. The fish I beat basically just straight up. Kept someone right in front of him to keep him from whiskering anyone so he'd mostly just tackle and I'd spin him to break the charge on flood and just sort of tank and spanked to death. The sword guy I struggled a lot more with, until I managed to get him caught at a point where I could warning shot with prisoner and turn him right before his turn so he couldn't use any attacks, and I just wind bladed with Oboromaru until he was dead. He didn't get a turn once I got him locked into that loop it felt silly but we take those.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 25, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
He spawns for me pretty consistently three attempts now and I only went after him after clearing the chapter since I thought the game was gonna give Beri back before the endgame boss.

Snake Maze posted:

While it’s nice to have the fertility charm, I found it was better to heal with the meat from hunting when you can. The charge time on the charm is long enough that there were a couple times that using it meant the boss was able to put fire tiles down and heal from them before I could get a chance to stop him. Meat is instant, and the large one is an aoe full heal.

Yeah I’ve been realizing it would be nice to have both forms of healing, being able to use a big meat chunk would help for when he decides to nuke the entire screen so I can potentially keep momentum with Gori’s poop attack.

Also, I’m fully willing to accept that I’m a child but it’s kind of funny that they just have dumb emoji censors for the attacks where two characters expose themselves instead of, you know, not flashing their balls.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
God drat, the soundtrack for this game is so drat good.

Megalomania is great and all, but I really love the battle theme for the Middle Ages and the songs they made for the Wild West. Also, Clash in China.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The prehistoric chapter us used to be my least favorite, but the music remixes completely turned it around for me.

My new least favorite is the present day.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Novasol posted:

King Mammoth is much more reasonable when you realize the fertility item is an area heal, which buffs you, and has infinite uses. Combine a hard rock and a stone knife. Level 10 should be fine as long as one of your characters is spamming it.

i also found the electric prickly stones (beast fang + stone knife) very useful, they're a consumable but they create a 3x3 lightning field so you're not wholly reliant on gori for cancelling the king's healing, and it does more damage than the poison tiles

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hot tip for the Edo superbosses - they can be poisoned with Poison Mist. It lands a lot more often on the samurai than on the fish, but they're both eventually subsceptible to it and it does way way way way more damage if you land it than basically any actual attack you can do, and you can just play defensively once it lands to keep yourself safe.

Also I grinded a lot more for King Mammoth than just level 10... I got to 18, using the power of a turbo button in the Kuu Village. I had less accuracy problems with Pogo that way, but Gori struggled to hit it most of the time anyway. Maybe that means I'll be omega overpowered later, but I'm sure it's fine...

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 25, 2022

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Alxprit posted:

Hot tip for the Edo superbosses - they can be poisoned with Poison Mist. It lands a lot more often on the samurai than on the fish, but they're both eventually subsceptible to it and it does way way way way more damage if you land it than basically any actual attack you can do, and you can just play defensively once it lands to keep yourself safe.

Also I grinded a lot more for King Mammoth than just level 10... I got to 18, using the power of a turbo button in the Kuu Village. I had less accuracy problems with Pogo that way, but Gori struggled to hit it most of the time anyway. Maybe that means I'll be omega overpowered later, but I'm sure it's fine...

Phantom Butterflies can poison as well, though I'm not sure on the hit rate versus Poison Mist. It's also capable of sleeping the fish, and maybe the other one.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Last Celebration posted:

That King Mammoth sure is something. I ended up grinding to level 10 to fill out my missing skills and he still tore me a new rear end in a top hat. The real hard part is when he, you know, explodes.. Because of course he does, why wouldn’t he?

EclecticTastes' Sure-Fire Guide to Thrashing Mammoth rear end

1. Get to level 16. This gets you all of Pogo's attacks, and also a more than sufficient supply of meat with which to heal if necessary.

2. Eat a normal meat at the start of combat. Meat not only heals, but it also applies buffs to your stats, most importantly accuracy.

3. Use Poke Bind and pray the stun takes. The stun status prevents enemies from dodging anything, so you can follow up with Bing Bang Boom to delete most of his health, to the point where even a non-stun Bing Bang Boom should finish him off (maybe eat a meat or two first to undo the debuffs). Hopefully it works before he can drop any fire tiles, but if he does, have Gori clear the ones under King Mammoth.

4. Use Pogo's Whee Jump and Gori's Stink Poot to knock the fucker back if he tries charging his full-screen attack. Sometimes he just decides that nothing gets to hit him today, but this gives you your best chance to interrupt.

5. Never be adjacent to King Mammoth unless you're doing step 3, as that's the only time he uses his other explosion. Assuming you can keep him from making fire tiles, Stink Poot is the only move Gori should be using, so ensure King Mammoth is kept away.

6. Do not use Chest Pound or Big Scream*. He counters moves like that using his full-screen attack, so that's pretty much an immediate reset.

Keep in mind that, due to his completely unreasonable evasion, any battle against King Mammoth has a significant luck factor to it, but this method has the best chance of success that I'm aware of.

*I actually didn't test that second one and am mostly assuming, but the first one is definitely confirmed as A Bad Idea and it tracks that Big Scream would also provoke the counter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks! Also, do I get anything besides the flex for beating it? I honestly don’t care either way, just curious

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you don't need to grind that much to beat the mammoth king, i did it without issue at level 12 and yes i AM bragging about it

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Thanks! Also, do I get anything besides the flex for beating it? I honestly don’t care either way, just curious

That's the fun part! You do get one item, guaranteed, and it's the third-best accessory in the chapter, but if you want the best accessory in the chapter, you better save before the fight.

Because it's a random drop.

The chance is somewhere around 1/4 or 1/8, so it shouldn't take that many tries before you get it, but just the fact that you need to beat King Mammoth more than once is already pretty galling. On the other hand, you also get the game's deepest-cut cinema reference, so it's kinda worth it.

Looper posted:

you don't need to grind that much to beat the mammoth king, i did it without issue at level 12 and yes i AM bragging about it

You can do that, I even did it once at level 11. But it's so inconsistent, and you're likely gonna need to do the fight multiple times to get the random drop, that you'll actually save time by just grinding to 16 so you can do the fight faster and more consistently.

EDIT: By the way, one further finding from Oboro's chapter: there is no longer any way whatsoever to bring O-robo to the Lord Iwama fight. He breaks down much faster in the water than he used to, and it was already extremely difficult to manage even back on the SNES. Fortunately, once you've used O-robo for his intended purpose in a zero-kill run, you can pick up Ryoma and come back, and you can bring your robot buddy to fight Majin Ryunosuke, the harder of the two secret bosses.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 25, 2022

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

https://twitter.com/ChristineAnloff/status/1551335124637102080

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I wonder if there's some easy way to just, like, see a bunch of people's reactions to the Live A Live remake, who have never encountered the original, collated conveniently. Like, half of why this remake is so exciting for me is the thought of all the people experiencing it for the first time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

I wonder if there's some easy way to just, like, see a bunch of people's reactions to the Live A Live remake, who have never encountered the original, collated conveniently. Like, half of why this remake is so exciting for me is the thought of all the people experiencing it for the first time.

This is my first time playing it (though I knew of the original) and I'll happily write up some serious impressions once I'm done.

For now, it feels like this game is a missing link in the history of games.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

This is my first time playing it (though I knew of the original) and I'll happily write up some serious impressions once I'm done.

For now, it feels like this game is a missing link in the history of games.

Given that it was Yoko Shimomura's first game for SE, after working on Street Fighter and Final Fight for Capcom, as well as Takashi Tokita's first time as director, it definitely holds a place of significance in SE's history. Tokita's next directing gig would be Chrono Trigger, and he's said in interviews it was Live A Live that helped him define his style of direction, so there's one concrete connection (he also directed Parasite Eve, for all the survival horror fans out there).

And I'm definitely gonna be watching the thread to see all the reactions from first-timers. Live A Live is probably my second-favorite JRPG (right after Earthbound), and while I'd entertained the idea that if the SaGa Frontier remaster sold well they might look at their other lesser-known games, I'd never considered they'd do a ground-up remake of, of all games, Live A Live. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if next year, they announce Treasure of the Rudra done in the style of FF7 Remake.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
How do you use reaction attacks? I've been trying to figure out how to trigger Unseen Bow's Arrow.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

EclecticTastes posted:

Checking the past broadcasts for Live A Live on twitch might be your best bet, if you can put up with the facecams and “thank you new subscriber”s and donation soundbites. First and/or blind playthroughs generally get called out in the stream title.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Raserys posted:

How do you use reaction attacks? I've been trying to figure out how to trigger Unseen Bow's Arrow.

You need to be attacked, and the the source has to be within your counter's range. Sometimes, they don't go off though or another counter is chosen if applicable.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Raserys posted:

While you can't deliberately trigger counters, you can bait out certain attacks from enemies, but only if they have something that qualifies (only certain attacks trigger certain counters; for example, Dragon and Tiger's Rebuke only triggers against arm-based attacks). Here are the two methods I'm aware of for Unseen Bow's Arrow (both spoilered since they require you to be past a certain point in the chapter):

1. During the assault on the Indomitable Fist fortress, place Shifu two spaces diagonally from one of the gray pants enemies (I'm 90% certain it's the grey ones, but it's possible it's the blue, or maybe both), basically within range of a Chipmunk's Delight. When the enemy's turn comes up, they'll usually use Flying Kick, which should knock the Shifu back. If they instead move, just move yourself to stay in the correct range. Anyway, if Shifu gets knocked back, that puts him in the correct range for UBA, and Flying Kick is of a qualifying attack type to activate it, so he'll use it. This is the method that's most likely to coincide with a student leveling up, to maximize the chance that they learn the move. Truth be told, I only learned of this method a couple days ago, by complete accident, and it just so happened my student leveled up after that fight and immediately picked the move up. I practically did a victory dance.

2. This method, which is easier for getting the counter to go off, but harder for teaching the move on the spot, is for the fight against the men in black around the big table. Take out the table so you have room to move around, then get three to four spaces away from any of the enemies, to their left or right. They'll use a projectile attack that can cause poison, and will provoke a counter using UBA. If a student levels up after this fight, they'll probably learn it, but since it's a singular encounter, you're probably better off getting hit with flying kicks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just beat the game as a first timer and while I'd gladly post a bigger post with my impression of each chapter when I have the time, I can easily say this game totally blew me away.

Like it's contemporary with Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger and those games got to be genre-defining RPGs while this one languished in obscurity, and took 28 years to get released outside Japan??? what the heck is that, this game is absolutely on their level

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
I think the localization for the Middle Ages chapter was written almost entirely in blank verse? At least enough of it that I feel like it had to be intentional. Really fantastic touch.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I just beat the game as a first timer and while I'd gladly post a bigger post with my impression of each chapter when I have the time, I can easily say this game totally blew me away.

Like it's contemporary with Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger and those games got to be genre-defining RPGs while this one languished in obscurity, and took 28 years to get released outside Japan??? what the heck is that, this game is absolutely on their level

There are a number of theories on the topic of why Live A Live was never localized, but according to Tokita, the main issue is that not even the Japanese sales numbers were particularly impressive, and it was a truism at the time that JRPGs performed worse outside of Japan (this was also mostly true prior to the Playstation; the domestic numbers for JRPGs were always much higher than the global), so Square just decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
If I want to get to level 16 in the prehistoric chapter is the best method to fight the endless guys in the caves near the end?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sonel posted:

If I want to get to level 16 in the prehistoric chapter is the best method to fight the endless guys in the caves near the end?

The amount of experience they give drops off pretty sharply. You're better off grinding out in the field area, as the encounters that include mammoths give the best experience, generally (in fact, there's one formation with two mammoths, two cubs, and two saber-tooths that gives the most experience of any of the random encounters, that I'm aware of). I haven't really checked how much experience you can get from the various rhino encounters on the path between the cave and the Kuu tribe's lands, so it's possible they'll level you even faster, but it should only take a couple hours, tops, out in the main field area.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
You know, Imperial China, Edo Japan, and the Wild West could all be taking place at the same time

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
given the plot details and specifics, edo japan and wild west are definitely intended to take place within a year or two of each other. china is a bit vaguer and feels older to me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

There are a number of theories on the topic of why Live A Live was never localized, but according to Tokita, the main issue is that not even the Japanese sales numbers were particularly impressive, and it was a truism at the time that JRPGs performed worse outside of Japan (this was also mostly true prior to the Playstation; the domestic numbers for JRPGs were always much higher than the global), so Square just decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I think it is also worth noting that even for the time the original version of Live A Live wasn't a particular visual masterpiece. Compared to Chrono Cross and FF6 it looks a hell of a lot more basic. The remake does a fantastic job of taking dumpy little sprites and keeping their feel while updating everything, and it also helps contribute a *lot* to the environments as well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s interesting. The Edo chapter is visually striking and received significant visual updates. But in function it is still *identical* to the original, down to the layout, enemy placement and behavior, and item placement. Really this is true for all the chapters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

It’s interesting. The Edo chapter is visually striking and received significant visual updates. But in function it is still *identical* to the original, down to the layout, enemy placement and behavior, and item placement. Really this is true for all the chapters.

Yeah, Live A Live Switch adheres extremely close to the original but that is entirely in its favor. It's the sort of high-quality redo that any SNES-era game could hope for, updating everything with great care while not actually losing anything that made it unique.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just finished the Far Future chapter, and it is in the running for my favorite chapter in the game. That said there was one black mark I have on it (big spoilers): where Rachel picks up the “stupid and goddamned crazy” ball again out of nowhere to run out of the rec room against the behemoth. I know by that point it has gone full horror movie, and someone is bound to do something dumb but it still felt kind of out of nowhere and it came too soon after her first freak out. I can only justify it as her realizing that the thing could be eating Kirks corpse, maybe

Also, I think I may have did an unintentional skip, where after the first Rec room scene I went to Rachel and then met her on the bridge, which kicked off everything, instead of going to Kato in the computer room. Probably missed a couple of scenes there. Not that it felt that stuff was missing; just interesting and weird

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Finally beat King Mammoth! Question for stuff I kind of know from looking too much at YouTube comments of the original SFC OST:

i know there’s a final act where you recruit your protagonists from the other era or something along those lines. Since the Prehistory section has

Completed: Pogo Level 5
Current: Pogo level 13

Does that mean the game’s gonna go with the clear file data stats and not the current one, and that I’ll need to beat the campaign again (not that I’d especially mind, I might just do it again for the hell of it tbh) for my fully leveled character with all his combat skills to be the one that gets used for the vague spoiler thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

given the plot details and specifics, edo japan and wild west are definitely intended to take place within a year or two of each other. china is a bit vaguer and feels older to me

(Spoilers inbound)

The horse that is host to O. Dio's soul is meant to be Comanche, the sole horse that survived Custer's last stand, which was in 1876. This places the Old West chapter somewhere in the last two decades of the 19th century. Oboro's chapter actually has a hard year attached, that being the year 1867. This is the year in which the bakumatsu ended, and more relevantly, the year Ryoma Sakamoto was assassinated. If Oboro opts to join Ryoma at the end of his chapter, he thwarts the assassination attempt that's clearly intended to be the one that ended Sakamoto's life in the real world. As for the kung fu chapter, it definitely takes place prior to the nineteenth century, and probably closer to the fifteenth or sixteenth, due to a combination of the overall aesthetics of the villages, and the lack of western influence (from the early nineteenth century until around WWII, Europe and Japan had carved up large swaths of China among themselves during what China dubbed the "century of humiliation", and even before that, there were the Opium Wars and other issues with Europeans just making GBS threads all over everything, as was their primary means of interacting with the rest of the world back then).

ImpAtom posted:

I think it is also worth noting that even for the time the original version of Live A Live wasn't a particular visual masterpiece. Compared to Chrono Cross and FF6 it looks a hell of a lot more basic. The remake does a fantastic job of taking dumpy little sprites and keeping their feel while updating everything, and it also helps contribute a *lot* to the environments as well.

It didn't stop Nintendo from releasing Earthbound up against Donkey Kong Country, to the former game's detriment. The "people want pretty graphics" thing was more of a retrospective analysis, not something anyone realized at the time.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, I think I may have did an unintentional skip, where after the first Rec room scene I went to Rachel and then met her on the bridge, which kicked off everything, instead of going to Kato in the computer room. Probably missed a couple of scenes there. Not that it felt that stuff was missing; just interesting and weird

There's actually several ways to trigger that scene. Whether you follow Rachel to the bridge, visit Huey and the Behemoth in the hold, or meet up with Kato in the computer room, it always leads to the same scene, just from slightly different angles.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 26, 2022