Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Welcome to the new combo rules/feedback thread, designed to slightly reduce the number of stickies!

Honestly the rules VG wrote in the previous rules thread still hold up here, so I'll just quote them since these rules are written far better than I ever could.

VideoGames posted:

BELIEVE WOMEN WHO HAVE SAID THEY ARE BEING ABUSED. BELIEVE ALL WOMEN. BELIEVE LOGAN DAY. I BELIEVE HER

Hello Games!
This is your brand new rules thread for the roaring 20s. I do not want to bog you all down in a load of rules because we try to be more flexible here but all you need to know is the following:

Standard rules of forum decency (found on the main page) apply here.

More Games specific stuff:

Also Please report people being bigots of all kinds (racism, transphobia, homophobia, sexism) because we do not want them here.
We can never have too many reports.

Below is a handy list of people who can help here in games should something be going on and you want more immediate action than reports. Please click any of the usernames to send a PM, or use my email if you do not have platinum.

ADMIN:
Videogames
(Looks after all Video and Trad Games and subs - please escalate here.)

MODS:

NikkolasKing
ShallNoiseUpon
HopperUK

IK:
Captain Foo (Path of Exile Thread IK)

Mode 7 IK of whole Retro Forum

Our friendly IKs are able to hand out six hour probes for anything they feel is making games, retro games, or mobile games unfun to read. They cannot do anything higher or read reports.

For other forums, please check their stickied rules pages.

Enjoy having fun in Games!

Updated: 2020/10/06 - Added Cheetah7071 & ShallNoiseUpon to Mods, removed from IK

Updated: 2020/11/21 - Removed Relax or DIE & Cheetah7071 from Mods

Updated: 2020/12/23 - Added Metis of the Hallways & Harrow to IK

Updated: 2021/06/21 - Removed Noise from Mods, added Mega64 and RocketRaygun to list of IKs

Updated: 2022/02/23 - Removed Harrow from Mods, added Mega64 to full time mod.

Updated: 2022/12/01 - Added ShallNoiseUpon back to mod (:owned:), Added HopperUK to mod, added Captain Foo to POE Thread IK

Updated: 2023/02/10 - Removed Metis from IKs. :(

Updated: 2023/02/23 - Added Mode 7 to IKs

Updated: 2023/03/07 - Removed Mega64 from Mods

quote:

:siren: NEW (as of Sept 1, 2022) - To email all admins, please use the following email: forumadmins@somethingawful.com :siren:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Previous Feedback Thread

If you have any feedback on Games as well as the Retro Games and Mobile Gaming subforums, please feel welcome to post it here.

Things you could talk about here include general thoughts on subforum culture, your thoughts on moderating decisions, questions/suggestions about specific threads, dumb and/or funny ideas to improve the forum, or just dumb shitposts. Or, you know, whatever. Think of this as the QCS of Games but without having to actually deal with QCS.

And of course reports and PMs are always welcome.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just my opinion and not speaking for the other mods/IKs, I would definitely prefer the community to use gender-neutral pronouns when appropriate, but it's also not necessarily something I want to enforce as a rule. Plus some people may use "guys" as a gender-neutral term as well, even if it's traditionally meant for men.

There's too much nuance that makes me not want to make a blanket rule for anything like that. Definitely open to feedback/advice though, I'm sure there's a better way to handle this that I haven't thought of.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Metis of the Hallways posted:

May I request my name in the changelog be updated from "Mall Santa Metis" to my current username

Please and thank you

Edit: I see I'm also in there as "New Super Metis". Sorry sorry I promise I finished the username changing joke

Done!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. The new thread in MG is a fantastic idea and I'm glad it got workshopped into something that could help others. Likewise, VG is obviously fantastic and will be a great admin for the Games stuff.

I'm pretty happy for the state of Games and its subforums right now! It helps the community here is so great. Despite the stupid poo poo I've said elsewhere (and don't worry, I'm going to stay the hell out of QCS from now on), I genuinely enjoy modding this forum and I'm glad there's such great people here to make it so fun to post and so easy to moderate.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd like to start rotating some of the stickies. I think the Rules/Feedback, Chat, Fresh Releases, and Index threads are solid permanent stickies, but I think it'd be cool to have two other threads stickied for a month or so to increase exposure to threads that may get overlooked (in addition to temporary charity runs like GDQ). The main thing is I want to avoid stickying dedicated game/series threads and focus more on other types of threads that may get overlooked.

If you have feedback on this idea or suggestions for threads you want to see stickied for August, please share them here or PM me and I'll pick what sounds best or what people want most.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The chat thread should probably be stickied for the first couple days of each month so people can find each new one (or one of the mods/IKs could post a link for each new thread in the OP), but otherwise I'm down leaving stickies just to this thread, the index thread, and threads for other special occasions.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

DId anyone get screenshots of this wonderful experiment?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Absolutely amazing work. Thank you for your contributions to science!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I was gonna do that, but I decided to follow the "sticky whatever you want" advice instead and stuck a couple threads from three years ago because why not.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Uh-oh.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Moola posted:

do not gently caress the pokemon OP

fine

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I should've just apologized instead of probating myself. My bad on that.

The thing is, I was making dumb posts like that for years, it's just now they're getting called out on. Obviously me getting away with these sort of posts before is no excuse for me to continue doing them. So if we want these sort of posts discouraged, I should hold myself accountable as well if I gently caress up, thus my reasoning on probating myself.

I am sorry about those posts I made.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That's correct.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If anyone's earned the right to name a forum after themselves, it's VideoGames.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just speaking my own opinion as a poster than as a mod, but a serious game industry thread would likely be better served in D&D, since "serious" isn't really the general vibe of Games. It's kind of weird to have one specific thread here where everyone needs to be 100% serious when every other thread is more lighthearted and full of shitposts and off-topic posts. I still think a game industry thread would work here, but it'd need to fit the vibe of Games itself, so there will be times when people make dumb jokes and cause derails about web browsers.

That's just my opinion though, I'll support what the community wants.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Closed the thread, I'll deal with reports and probes later if another mod doesn't beat me to it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm not ashamed to say I'd rather watch football and shitpost about it than go through dumb Games drama.

I'll look into it before I go to bed. It'll be a couple hours though since I'd rather read stuff with full attention and make appropriate judgments from that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I read up the last few pages of the thread.

I queued a week for TA for threadshitting here and the industry thread.

I threw a day at Sneep, but solely due to their last post about Stux in the industry thread. Otherwise, they posted something dumb about culture stuff, but I'm not going to probate people just because they post something dumb. People post dumb poo poo all the time, and usually I find it best to let others call them out and tell them why what they said is dumb. Public shaming is usually the best way to get people to change their behaviors, and if that doesn't work and they melt down over it, that's when the probes begin.

Otherwise, I don't really see the problem with the thread? I think you're all overreacting because you got a bit too heated over a spirited debate. Besides one clear threadshitter and one dumb argument, the thread was mostly fine, and then everyone panicked and started screaming to gas the thread.

As punishment, instead of gassing the thread I will move it to the Goodmine to be seen by all.

Good night!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I didn't see any reports on it until activity started up in this thread. Otherwise, at least when I checked the reports, things were quiet as far as the Industry thread went.

The industry thread seems to be mostly fine, people just get really passionate over arguments or get a bit panicked when someone posts dumb or probe-worthy poo poo there. I'm definitely not opposed to having a new one, if anything I kinda regret not throwing sixers at the people going "gas" or whatever over it, but that stuff is pretty tame in the grand scheme of things so whatever.

I think people just need to chill when people disagree with them. I see it a lot in major game threads and the console threads, and a lot of people trying to shout out others they disagree with rather than attack their arguments. It's just an internet forum, instead of being passionate talking about video games take a break to play some video games instead.

Just my thoughts.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Leal posted:

Mega should have his star removed until he finishes his Xenoblade Chronicles X LP. 100%

Leal posted:

Mega should have his star removed

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also, despite my gangtag, I don't even read QCS anymore since it broke my brain. I also don't read mod forum stuff that doesn't relate specifically to this forum since forums drama poo poo obviously ain't healthy for me for obvious reasons.

Stux posted:

to be clear i dont think any of thes epo sts are good. but why is the least insane one the one that gets a probation lol

It's the only one that was reported that I saw. (e: The other two probably were reported, in retrospect.) That Bust Rodd post may have been missed due to a different probe.

I'll address the first post below.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why was it probed a week later lol

That's my bad. I think the actual probe is good since saying poo poo like "you're wrong" without an explanation is probe-worthy in the context of this thread, but it's kinda dumb to probe something so low-stakes a week later, especially for a 24h probe. I was slow catching up on the thread, figured I'd help out VG a bit, and did that stupidity without checking the date. That's my error, and I apologize for that.

As for the original post, at first couple reads it didn't seem that bad to me. Rereading it a few times and I can see the issues now, and it should probably be hit for speculative based on that last paragraph. It's probably fair for me to hit that with a probe since I hit said other post with a probe.

That's the issue for threads like this for me, and why I never liked moderating stuff like politics in GBS or whatever. There's way too much nuance that I can easily miss that makes moderating these types of threads difficult for me. I could just leave it solely to VG, but as part of a mod team I don't really want one person shouldering a ton of the burden.

I'll readily admit I make tons of mistakes and am probably not the best candidate to be a mod, but at the same time, I'm also one of the few willing to actually do the job. I'm fine with people talking poo poo about me, it's part of being a mod and half the time I do deserve it, and it also helps me learn what to do better (theoretically, anyway). Just don't expect the world of whoever follows me up eventually, whenever I do eventually quick/get demoted.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 25, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Stux posted:

this is clealrly at this point targetted trolling + gangstalking aginst me

drat, foiled again.

(I restuck it for a couple more days)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Congrats, and welcome to the team!

Looking forward to all your hard work keeping the Games Industry thread in check!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The one positive of my time as a mod is I've never murdered anyone, nor do I plan to.

e: Or maybe that's a negative, I don't know anymore.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I have learned nothing a lot from this discussion...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Is it bad that I'm too busy playing games to properly discuss the future of talking about games?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Wouldn't someone horny for women be more likely to enjoy DoA5? Like that comment is almost too stupid to be offensive.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Don't think there's really a thread for that sort of thing here, which sounds like a great excuse to make one!

If there already is one or someone makes one, post it here and I or another mod/IK could sticky it for awhile. The holidays seem like a perfect time for this sort of thing between many people having time off and possibly getting new consoles/multiplayer games!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We're all dumb stupid idiot morons here.

Or at least I am.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Unrelated to Arf but since it came up, if you think a thread is lovely, it's better to tell a mod/report the thread or post about it here and say why it's bad. Bad threads can easily fall through the cracks, especially in a subforum as busy as this one, and personally I'd rather be told about it so we can fix/gas it before someone decides to spam it and causes minor drama.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's definitely not funny when a forum cop tries it

So you're saying the solution is to make Arf a mod.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just speedrun past the posts.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Endorph posted:

perhaps the people making random accusations of nazism/sex offenses should be getting much heavier punishments than the guy doing the second thing?

You're right. Just gave that person a probe for that post.

If anyone sees any more posts like this from anyone please report them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

drat, shows how on the ball I am. :doh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I have some feedback, go check out the hidden gems thread.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I can't believe this non-priority is somehow still the only thing about Games that apparently concerns people

If the biggest problem in Games is whether a specific thread may or may not be too off-topic, trust me, I'll take that any day.

There's the occasional weirdo but for the most part this subforum is pretty chill and full of cool people and I love posting here.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I don't see the point of having one "serious" thread that's moderated more harshly in an otherwise-chill forum. I really don't see why people can't just scroll past white noise posts the same way we tell people to scroll past ArfJason's speedrunning posts. And honestly I'm tired of fifty different opinions on what this one specific thread should be.

My personal preferences is to either have the Games Industry thread with the same ruleset as other Games threads (where we'd still probe for legit bad posts but otherwise don't give a poo poo about off-topic or white noise posts or whatever besides maybe occasional sixers) or just gas it completely, preferably the former. If you don't like those options, I strongly suggest making your own version of the thread in another subforum that would align with whatever rules you want. Or just go to Resetera instead, sounds like some of you would like it there more anyway.

I want to talk things over with the other mods before anything is done, but regardless I think a reboot of the thread would be a good idea if we do keep it. The OP of the current thread is very thorough, but I think having links to resources on various things like trustworthy news sites or helpful services would be pretty handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you all think there should be separate threads for financial/general industry stuff and for the more horrible stuff, I'm definitely fine going that route. I think that'd solve some of the problems of having one general catch-all thread for both.