Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Hey so there's a gambling addiction resource thread stickied in the poker forum, but not the mobile games forum! It would be great if some of the same resources could be posted there, especially if people have gacha-specific resources to link.

That's a good idea. Even in my short time as mod I've seen somebody request being banned from a thread due to gambling addiction.

Of course I have no clue about any of this so if the thread does happen, I'd need some help filling out the OP and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

hey i know this post just got hit with a sixer but are any bigger ones lined up?? cause this post in the megami tensei thread loving sucksssss https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=526884553#post526884553

None of the other mods are around and I'm waiting to discuss this with them about how long they feel is appropriate.

I almost never probe anyone for anything so I wanted to get other opinions. 3 days, maybe a week, I dunno. I started the whole mess in the first place and I'm definitely sorry about that. But that's also why I'm reluctant to punish since this is my fault. Hopefully someone else will be around in a few hours and we can talk it over.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 11, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Stux posted:

i dont think games moderation needs more probations etc overall, just this thread. but also i think the thread should just be deleted at this point

I guess whatever our differing opinions on video games, out opinions on video game forum moderation seem to line up.

I've been on a lot of forums in my life and I think each has their own distinct culture. SA has a very...anarchic culture where you've always been able to get away with things you'd never, ever get away with on most other forums. Going around calling people loving idiots - as many in this thread gleefully do - is generally called flaming and will earn you an instant warning or ban if you keep it up. But I'd never probe anybody for that on this forum because it's just not how things have ever been done around here. I think it takes a more flagrant, determined violation of the few, simple rules we do have to deserve a probation or worse.

And that thread seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. We could have a second iteration of the thread - there's nothing special or unique about the one we have now that says we can't keep it locked and simply start over again. At this point it just feels like the thread is tainted and will attract controversy no matter what. Maybe that would still happen with a "do over" thread, I dunno. Somebody else will probably be the one to decide, anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Is it bad that I'm too busy playing games to properly discuss the future of talking about games?

Doing the same. Apollo Justice has been okay I guess but I wish I had more money to buy the next two games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Runa posted:

We're you able to also get the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles?

No. They're gonna come after I finish the main story games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

I would honestly recommend Revengence between one of those two, the story is basically entirely agnostic to the setting so you don't have to worry about missing anything, and it's a wild ride.

Absolutely play MGS4 first before Revengeance. Not only will I tune in faithfully every stream to talk about why I hate every second of what's happening in 4 but

Evil Kit posted:

I would honestly recommend Revengence between one of those two, the story is basically entirely agnostic to the setting so you don't have to worry about missing anything, and it's a wild ride.

MGR doesn't make any sense without 4 because "why is Raiden a cyborg now".

No Dignity posted:

I would not at all, the story is a direct sequel to MGS4 and does benefit somewhat from having seen Raiden's arc there. Also the final boss saying The Line is much funnier with knowledge of MGS4's storytelling

Also this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

there totally is a distinction and I say that as a guy who says "jrpgs" to distinguish them as the ones I like most

Agreed. I certainly don't play them for the same reason. I play WRPGs for the choice - for the variety of endings and routes that radically change what the story is about or who my character is. About the only JRPGs which even vaguely approach that is SMT, and even then it's just a big ending choice instead of real choice along the way as you'd get in Dragon Age or something.

That all being said, I definitely prefer the more common type of turn-based JRPG combat as well as certain Japanese tropes/cliches. I've played Final Fantasy VII and X more than any WRPG.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Many years ago when I first joined the forum, Doc Roosevelt. cherrydoom,, and Rock Tumbler theorized that Stux was just some paralyzed guy in a hospital bed and the nurses put on bad LP videos for him to watch. This explained how/why he watched their videos.

I decided then and there stux was a good person and I'll always be on his side.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i mean, you can't get away with hosting pirated files on github, and that index site has been around for quite a while lol. most of the links are to internet archive anyway, and as far as I'm aware nobody's been taking them to court about it either.

I wanted to link the Evangelion DVDrips and various Gundam rips on there a few months back but held off out of fear it was piracy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it's a heck of a grey area for sure but as far as i can tell the one rule they enforce is that whatever's there is not available for sale.

That makes sense. Those Eva DVDs have infamously been out of print forever and you have to pay out the rear end for them. They were the only offficial source of Eva in English for a long time. And with the new release of Gundam SEED with a new dub, it makes sense someone would upload the original DVD rips with the original dub.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I hate "what's your fave poke" discussions in which no one posts pics, am i expected to remember who these guys are??

If it's one of the original 151 you should know it just by the name. If you were raised in the 90s, anyway. I still can.

But yeah, after that, I'm lost.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that was also fail because british naomi ftw.

I really wanna know what kind of direction they gave Jennifer Hale for TTS and 4. "Sound ss bored and half-asleep as possible." I don't need British Naomi, I just need a Naomi who can emote. Jennifer Hale rules but something was horribly wrong in those two games.

I mean, they are bad games so that doesn't help, but the other VAs weren't like this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's cool that David Hayter gave up money so they could bring in everybody to rerecord their lines for it

David Hayter is 100% cooler than Kojima, no matter what C-list actor Kojima hangs around.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

He's always been a prick based on what the people who worked with him localizing MGS1 and 2 said. I just kinda forgave him because those are amazing games.

But he's long since thrown away all the good will I had for him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 9, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I really wish someone had PMed me about this.

Booky posted:

hi i saw this post earlier (the discussion had already passed when i did) by a mod in the rpg thread and i thought it was, kinda weird? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3827#post531852151

like to me it just comes off as strange and overly defensive and taking that to a weird kinda rude level, or uh something idk if im wording this good but it just bugged me seeing it when i was catching up!!

also congrats mode 7!!!

Endorph posted:

i do not think nikkolasking is a very good mod on a number of levels and id really like an explanation of what 'you know, you' means in the context of that post

i realize people for some reason think im an insane depraved troll but whenever some weirdo implies im somehow not LGBT because i have slightly different opinions on how that stuff is depicted in games it actually is very hurtful, and while im gonna give hm the benefit of the doubt of that not being how nikkolasking intended it thats really how that post comes across.

Your having opinions I don't share doesn't make you less of a person or a part of that community.

But this "discussion" started with you saying:

Endorph posted:

the only thing worse than nikkolasking having opinions on final fantasy is them having opinions on gay rep in video games

There are only two people in this forum I ever have back-and-forth insults with and it's you and ZenMasterBullshit. I've never started poo poo with anyone who didn't start it with me first.

So if you took my insult the wrong way, I'm sorry for that. But I swear it was just me saying "you don't like my opinions, I don't like yours and so I'm going to ignore it. and listen to other people."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Stux posted:

idk my main interaction with nk has been flaming him non stop in the smt thread

There's flaming and then there's flaming. I know from talking with you and others that when you say "gently caress you stupid" about something, it's like a handshaka, or even a high five. There's no malice or enmity behind it.

I might have the worst, wrongest opinions on fiction ever, but I think I'm pretty chill and fair with everyone so long as they're chill and fair with me. And even if I don't like you, it's not like I have ever once used my awesome mod powers to harass anyone.