Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The actual solution is to get a recognizable avatar/become an infamous enough poster people will remember your gender.

At least that's how I remember more clearly the gender of whoever is posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It does feel imo than mods here seem more relunctant to probe people lately.

Like, probes are just telling someone "hey go outside and chill out for a few hours", not some horrible punishment. And anyone who goes insane and virulent for being probed (which is different from politely questioning the probe!), well that's not the sign of a well-adjusted person.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Scholtz posted:

Why's it called Final Fantasy if there are so many of them? :smug:

Fighting Fantasy was already trademarked and they really wanted the FF abbreviation.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My favourites are Galvantula and Joltik for doing the impossible and making spiders look cute.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ff14 has tank controls and no double jump, QED

Legacy controls and strafe exist, EFQ.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

it's me, i'm one of Chesnaught's 6 fans

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, the story is that Endorph and other adtrw chat thread regulars got a set of avs based on hit anime Bocchi The Rock. Then someone paid to swap around the 4 avatars, causing massive confusion. After people got used to it someone then changed all avatars to the same character.

And now the bocchi bandit is going global on the forums it seems.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I don't know, on one hand mods have enabled tons of cool stuff in video games.

On the other hand they might infect your computer with a virus, nasty stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Runa posted:

There was a scandal where one of the most popular FFXIV shader modpacks was actually malware that gave the modder the ability to remotely shut off the game because he was a diva about anybody altering his mod or using mods by people he didn't like.

Oh, it was worse. It shutdown your computer directly if you had alterations he didn't like.

Also a few years ago it was discovered a modpack to improve graphics on Dragon Age Origins would subtly alter configuration stuff to try and open a vulnerability to get remote access to your PC. Of course only a dumb kid would do something as stupid as getting a graphics mod that came in installers with no source code like me and thankfully it didn't work on Windows 10 I think? Different folder structure.

And also

claw game handjob posted:

There was also a Minecraft mod scene malware outbreak earlier this year, which got from whatever patient zero was into other mod developers' PCs and spread further via the unaware teams.

Anyways, keep Windows Update running and updated, get uBlockOrigin, be careful with what you download, ask someone to check the source code if available and for the love of god don't give admin privileges to every program that asks for it.