Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Hey so there's a gambling addiction resource thread stickied in the poker forum, but not the mobile games forum! It would be great if some of the same resources could be posted there, especially if people have gacha-specific resources to link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Metis that looks great, you are the best, better than all the rest.

e: also thank you for your sacrifice, dearest stux

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 29, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it gives me genuine hope for the future of this website that VG is an admin now!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
im so sorry to hear this, i hope everyone is safe and doing okay.

e:

Relax Or DIE posted:

get owned idiot

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
excuse me, we are NOT ALLOWED to talk about vtubers on something awful

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Harrow posted:

This one was 100% my fault since I started the browser derail. It seemed relevant at the time but I really should know better, given what a pain that thread was when I was a mod. Sorry about that.

the thread is fine, there was no reason to close it due to a 2 page adblock derail. imo:

A: mods should be less sensitive to idle chatter when it isn't toxic and there isn't huge industry news to talk about and

B: please just probe people who derail it rather than repeatedly close it

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lady Radia posted:

idk the thread needs an IK or something, people genuinely posting past real sexual harassment issues because they prefer their browser tabs take up 0.1MB less of RAM is super loving bad.

i agree but let me be the first to say "not it".

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i hereby nominate stux as IK of the industry thread

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah nah yknow what forget that thread let's go ride bikes

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Escobarbarian posted:

It wasn’t anything to do with me, actually. What made me think about it was the legion of people in here trying to genuinely argue with absolutely no irony whatsoever that saying you’re going to kill other posters is good.

i'm going to replace your cornflakes with acme brand dynamite cornflakes so when you eat your cornflakes your head explodes and gets covered in black soot and your hair stands up.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shinjobi posted:

Word filter god of war to honkers

this is the kind of actionable suggestion i love to see in this thread

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
im impressed by the level of thoughtful discourse itt

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

site posted:

he did and it's not like that would be the first time someone snuck through gdq vetting. i was wrong, oh well. i took the L. but you know, go off contributor

oh word? when did you take the L exactly, was it when you found out he was gay or

site posted:

oh i didn't realize gay men took the button up, bow tie, moustache, and Richard Spencer cut away from the Ben Shapiro types at some point with the last couple years my b

oh

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
make a snow angel, there's grass underneath

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
hey, you don't know if they're talking about stux! they could be talking about me!! i have friends!!!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

This has not happened since the extremely dumb poo poo about the bayonetta VA, which while that was repeatedly brought up in this thread and the mods just shrugged and did nothing, also has not repeated itself since. You also still have not explained what it is you actually want out of an industry discussion thread.

the heck are you talking about lmao

it was happening literally in the last 5 pages of the thread before it was closed

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
buddy the thread is closed, it isn't deleted. we can go read it.

edit: oh god i'm reading it there isn't a citation needed big enough what is literally wrong with you

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I literally just looked a week back in the thread and that is what the posts say, what the hell are you talking about

i'm not going to dig through the thread for quotes you absolute maniac, please stop gaslighting it's fuckin weird.

the thread has been absolutely riddled with wild rear end theorycrafting from people who don't work in the industry from start to finish, it's on nearly every page, holy poo poo.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

cheetah7071 posted:

I think the people in this thread should watch Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight

if this post isn't sixered you know this is a chat thread

on penalty of sixer i pronounce this post "bananice"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
this thread is now dedicated to subtly pestering hopperuk until they watch Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

HopperUK posted:

I have watched an episode of the anime. It's gorgeous and the music is great and there is a mysterious giraffe. So far so good!

Sleng Teng posted:

分かります

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

E. Revenant posted:

That should have been enough of a signal that you won't post this way in his forum and get rewarded for it. Everyone that then clamored in to treat it like one of their shitposting forums got a rude reminder that harassing someone that you want something from doesn't always get you what you want.

okay that's what a strongly worded reply or maybe a sixer is for

a ban+30 means "you're not welcome on this website don't come back"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

doingitwrong posted:

If the goal is to foster an atmosphere of tolerance and respect for the coding and administrative staff, a string of increasingly arbitrary bans is not going to work out very well.

lmao in what universe do you think that's a goal for the admins of this website

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It would be nice if the Hogwarts Legacy thread could be about posting about the game itself, rather than whatever the hell it is now. Don't know if I've seen another thread in games like it

i don't think we live in that world, friend.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Malah posted:

We're fine, VG. For once this thread fulfilled its use as a QCS lite, it's the most shocking character development of the season!

it's almost like having a relief valve thread where people can engage with mods directly actually works lol

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'll tell ya one thing, if this place finally goes tits up i'll be looking to go wherever vg and hopper and friends are moderators

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
beautiful snipe, blessed page

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Endorph posted:

some guy in the wrestling subforum reply guy'd to a female wrestler for a year and then bought her a dvd boxset of the golden girls and then expected that she would have sex with him in gratitude

did she say "thank you for being a friend"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
can we re-examine the "no talking about piracy" rule as it was made back when BTB went away almost 20 years ago? obviously that's not coming back but maybe we can talk about piracy as long as we don't link directly to sources? i think things have chilled out a bit in the last two decades lol.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

HopperUK posted:

ee: As far as I know talking about piracy is fine. Direct linking isn't.

well, what stux posted wasn't a direct link to piracy really, it was a github that aggregates other sites. i think linking to that sort of thing, or an internet archive page full of roms, or a site like vimm's lair is perfectly fine. i think what the rule was meant to prevent was BTB coming back in some fashion, whether that's sharing torrents or nzbs or whatever else is going on. that should probably stay off the table.

e: like, linking out to some other place that hosts pirated software does not open this place up to any liability whatsoever, otherwise reddit would have been nuked eons ago lol

BTB was a grey area at best because the torrents were shared through this platform, and that's bad.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 19, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

HopperUK posted:

Hmm I guess maybe I misunderstood what the link was. I did look at it and I thought it was more of a direct link. VG if you're around could you take another look at that one? Pull the probe back if you think it's a bad shoot? Thank yoou

i mean, you can't get away with hosting pirated files on github, and that index site has been around for quite a while lol. most of the links are to internet archive anyway, and as far as I'm aware nobody's been taking them to court about it either.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

VideoGames posted:

In this case because I have always said direct linking is the only crime this is kind of removed from it enough that I do not see a problem removing the probe.

another vg success story thanks bud

the preservation aspect is a bitch, especially with the wiiu virtual console being the last vestige of legal ownership for a mammoth library of games. i don't see how they could prove damages for pirating software they refuse to sell, but i don't have the legal mind of l. crabs or anything.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Snake Maze posted:

The mods are so insanely deferential to Stux, lol

lol the mods sure are kind to the most probated guy on the forums

im sorry if he made fun of a game you like tho, that can be frustrating

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NikkolasKing posted:

I wanted to link the Evangelion DVDrips and various Gundam rips on there a few months back but held off out of fear it was piracy.

it's a heck of a grey area for sure but as far as i can tell the one rule they enforce is that whatever's there is not available for sale.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

HopperUK posted:

Oh poo poo really? What happened there if you don't mind saying?

some countries put torrent aggregators on dns blacklists, it's dumb

e:f,b

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Snake Maze posted:

Normally when people complain about a probe the result is "Well, 6ers are just a slap on the wrist anyway, it's fine". It took you, what, 15 minutes to remove a decades old rule, undo the probe, and switch over to "I'm so sorry that happened to you Stux, I'll try to do better in the future :blush:"

what on earth

it wasn't a sixer

which decades old rule got undone

did you read anything that actually happened here

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kirbysuperstar posted:

the only piracy talk I've seen in forever was that weirdo who made a big stink about pirating hogwarts legacy and posted gifs of it in like 20 different completely unrelated threads after disappearing for saying he wanted to gently caress nemona from pokemon s/v

i love these stupid forums

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
vg is accidentally incredible at video games

it's not on purpose but if he's pointed in the right direction he will overcome any obstacle

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
sticky every thread. metis was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
malort is good but I prefer fernet branca