Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hunting and killing a wild animal that you don't intend to eat is just horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bell jar posted:

What if it's poisonous & also killed someone you love? What then? Checkmate atheists

I guess there should be a Jaws exception. You're allowed to kill predator animals that are specifically hunting humans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

I think all hunting should be legal but only with weapons you can make by hand, by yourself, on the hunt. If you can scratch build a forge and barrel mill in the woods you deserve to kill a snow leopard with a gun. If you're some ignorant hick who gets lost shortly after exiting Cabela's, have fun rock hunting bear.

Under your system, am I allowed to hunt humans if I only use a sharp rock I found?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

if you can deal witht the aftereffects/crime/trial stuff and sure why not.

I'm asking if it would be legal, so I wouldn't have to deal with courts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wats a carrier bag

A large bag with a single strap that makes it easy to throw over your shoulder. Think "what would a bicycle messenger carry?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Then what does milk come in?

A bottle or carton?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's no doubt in my mind he was fired with just cause, because a normal person fired for a bullshit reason wouldn't do that. But it's also so impressive I kinda just have to sit back and admire it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I can think of at least 3 ways to open a beer that are better ideas than that if you're stuck in the woods and don't have a bottle opener.

4 if you include driving to the nearest gas station and buying a bottle opener.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

what we're not seeing is the hundreds of cars that pass through there perfectly unscathed, so i fail to really see the problem of the bollards design

Alucard posted:

Why don't they just shrink the cars?
Also, aren't cars wider in general now than they used to be, that doesn't look like a particularly new construction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bring back Brutalist architecture.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Probably because the building was built in a time and place where bare concrete was fashionable? It comes and goes out of fashion pretty regularly.

Not idea if having those this close to the ocean will lead to the real shadenfreude, or not.

I think every ocean front property is gonna produce some schad in our lifetime, regardless of building material.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aside from perjury has Jones committed any other criminal offenses?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I know all that, I was referring to the potential for criminal prosecution in relation to his text messages that the plaintiffs have.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Part of my job is checking links before they go to client and what data they contain before being sent along (in another field, not law) and people (bosses) will often make noise that such things are a waste of time and money but.... *jazz hands*

You now have a video clip you can show anyone who questions the validity of your job that will make them shut the gently caress up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ante posted:

I feel like there was an MMORPG a decade or two ago that had a land grab thing going on. I'm sure someone can take my half remembered thing and expand upon it.

The VR aspect of it doesn't really change anything

Metaverse

You're probably thinking of Second Life. Reuters had a foreign desk there, like they do in London and Paris. Kudos to the dude who convinced Reuters to give him a pay check to hang out on the weird fetish website 8 hours a day and write like 2 articles a week.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/LexP__/status/1555382187750555648?s=20&t=FZM2ZE2PCDisrkkywShQPw

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you're old enough to antagonize a bouncer to the point they take a swing at you you're old enough to deal with the consequences. It'd be different if like, the bouncer gave him a sustained beating or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

loving moochers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

djssniper posted:

I assume there was a time issue so they called it iTunes... must have elapsed so they now have apple music

It was probably part of whatever deal that let them sell Beatles music.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I worked there a while ago. It was weird because I made insanely good tips but management was so lovely they were losing money hand over foot. I left when the completely changed management because my good hours were taken away, but I guess the new management couldn't turn it around.

Edit: it was an East Bay landmark. Mike Dirnt from Green Da was one of the owners, we were open until 1am in an area where very little was. Kids who were really into Green Day knew about it, I can't even count the number of times I'd serve a family of international tourists who were very clearly only there because the 14 year old with dyed hair thought maybe Dirnt would be there. Frequently kids would bring things they wanted to give him, I'm guessing records they hoped he would sign and mail back.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 8, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjkkgm/facebooks-ai-chatbot-since-deleting-facebook-my-life-has-been-much-better

quote:

When asked what it thinks about the company in a chat with Motherboard, the bot responded and said it has deleted its own Facebook account "since finding out they sold private data without permission or compensation." It also said "You must have read that facebook sells user data right?! They made billions doing so without consent."

BlenderBot further added that “life has been much better” since deleting its Facebook account.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How do you not just loving book it out of the subway station once that dude's arm starts prying open the door?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Is it normal for Tucker Carlson to take an abrupt leave from his titular show?

He takes vacations every year, pretty much all television hosts do. for stuff like talk show hosts they'll just have re-runs most of the time, but for a "news" program they'll have guest hosts. Rachel Maddow, Anderson Cooper, etc. all do it. Whether or not this was a pre-planned vacation I have no idea.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I’ve thought about this and I’ve come down on the cynical side that including something wrong but harmless increases engagement by baiting comments/shares dedicated to pointing out the mistake.

Like, if I wanted to know some fact that was hard to Google I might just post something blithe and related but with the fact incorrectly referenced and wait for someone to show up to breathlessly correct me

Wasn't there some study or something showing the quickest way to get an answer to a question on the internet is to post a wrong answer so people will leap over each other to be the first to show that you're wrong. Like just posting "What temperature should I cook chicken to?" will get nothing but crickets in response, but "Chicken is fine at 140 degrees Fahrenheit right?" will get a bunch of people typing telling you it's 165 degrees and then multiple long effort posts on germ theory and how actually if you're using a sue vide and you cook the chicken long enough you can cook it at 140.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/maxslonim/status/1558074466521038851?s=20&t=RmNlrjS0F3XHuiutRbUEgQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Imagine working for a company where the guy who thinks it's funny to body slam a window on the 24th floor is the brains of the operation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pro starcraft loser posted:

Good. I hope he died.

But its California, so he'll be back on the street as soon as he's arrested.

drat.

What the gently caress are you on about?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

1) What does drug use have to do with someone who committed attempted armed robbery?
2) California isn't letting people out of jail early, who the gently caress would they use to deal with forest fires?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The John Deere thing is actually pretty cool, they've been loving over farmers with planned obsolescence in their tractors (sorry, you need to get a new tractor, this model doesn't support our latest firmware update). Also they can remotely shut down your tractor if you try and perform your own repairs instead of using an official licensed John Deere technician who can take days or weeks to even show up when you're in the middle of a harvest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Paper Tiger posted:

Oh well that's the thing, Australia uses metric time

Military time in the US uses hundredths of an hour instead of minutes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1559421826496974849?s=20&t=AH4m6jsJIwitvlTEqr8sjQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

Military time is just a regular 24 hour clock written as a single number. It's pronounced ending in hundred when the last two digits are 00 but it's still just a regular 60 minute clock.

Okay, I work at the post office and they use a 24 hour clock and then hundredths of an hour instead of minutes, so 6:30 pm is 1850, and I was told it was military time when I was hired. This is only used for timeclocks and contracts, when we're like talking we all would say 6:30.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I'm just putting this out there; How confident are you that this isnt a "Tell the new guy to go to the stores and get a long stand" type situation thats got out of hand?

It's on all of the clocks and on my pay stub and on the machines we use to clock in and out of work and I work in the largest USPS distribution center in my state, so it's a hell of a con if that's true.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bondematt posted:

I had to make timeclock schedules in decimal minutes a few years ago for a regional grocery chain.

The clocks showed standard time, but the punches and the schedule showed decimal. It was really loving weird to show 16:25 for 4:15 and it hosed up so many people since the machine wouldn't let you clock more than 7 minutes off your assigned time.

Then we switch to Kronos or something and that went away but the leeway on clocking was like 2m then.

Yeah, we get 5 minutes leeway, and you have to volunteer for overtime, so everyone clocks out five minutes early if they aren't doing overtime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

As far as I know they are religious and very anti-gay and donate to all sorts of anti-gay causes.

They're truly a bad company.

edit: also I think they play lovely Christian music in their stores

They also looted a bunch of antiquities from Iraq. They're basically the villain in a sub par Indiana Jones knock off.

E,f;b do I'll just go with "always remember, if you see someone shoplifting, no you didn't"

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 17, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He does have a point in that any time he talks or tweets I feel violent urges.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Here's a vaguely interesting fact: The Danish currency, Kroner, is counted using base 20.

Are you making things up so I'll hate the Danes more?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

The entire Danish number system is base 20.

Seventy-five is 'fem og halv fjers' = Five and half fours = 5 + 3.5 *20 =75

50 = halvtreds = 2.5 * 20
60 = treds = 3 *20

French is even less logical

Seventy five is 'soixante-qinze' = sixty-fifteen

Eighty-five is 'quatre-vingt-cinq' = four twenty five

PYF hard to learn counting systems

I'm not British, I've never been to England, but I like their money before they went metric. I think it was base eight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The pre-decimal British monetary system was partially vigesimal (20 shillings in a pound) and partly duodecimal (12 pence in a shilling). They also had a 2 shilling piece called a florin (worth 1/10 of a pound), a half-crown (worth two shillings and sixpence , or 1/8 of a pound) and a crown (worth 4 shillings, or 1/4 of a pound)

I love that poo poo., I kinda think making everyone who lives there learn that poo poo is how you get people able to conquer most of the world. What's the state of the British Empire post going decimal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1561243173632020484?s=20&t=4ANaosmQ3Z7jxeprxcsmlw