Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

A new era.

For the longest time Derby and Nottingham Forest plagued the blessed championship but now with the team that always lost in the playoffs getting relegated and the team that was always shite and begging to be relegated but managed to scrape mid table gone it's a completely new playing field.

Dare we try and predict the most unpredictable league in the world?

Yes, obviously.

The Big Hitters

Middlesbrough

Boro (whom we all love) were pretty good last season and threatened the playoffs for most of the season despite spending a chunk of the season under a rapidly deteriorating Neil Warnock, somehow playing both Neil Taylor and The legendary Joseph Lumley Boro have made some good signings and strengthened key areas and have arguably the best manager in the league and world in Chris Wilder although the achillies heel from last season the striker position remains, it's likely in the next few weeks it will be addressed via the djed spence cash that is burning a hole in Gibson's pocket.

Norwich

You can't really rule out Norwich in the championship, they've kept hold of most of their key players and the spine of their team is extremely good for the championship level. They still have a massive ace in Pukki and will probably be top 2 fairly comfterbly. They have a solid if maybe a little unexciting manager in Dean Smith but overall they don't have any major weaknesses and this is what they do.

Burnley

Rumors of Burnley's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Bringing in Kompany was a big statement and they still have a great spine of a team in there. Top class talents like Cornet and Mcneil could prove decisive if they stick around and they just might. Overall people have spent so long laughing at Burnley in the premier league that they seem to forget it's largely a squad of players who through tactical discipline managed to stay up for many seasons in the premier league and most of their squad would walk into any other championship team.

The "will be up there at the end of the seasons"

Sheffield United

If Sheffield United still had MGW they would probably be among the top 3 but they don't and his creative output will be hard to replace with any player but they still have a very strong squad. The championship equivilent of the ghost army from lord of the rings in billy sharp will continue to score goals although his strike partners do leave something to be desired with 2 of them being charged for assaulting forest fans, which tbh, is pretty fair.

They've improved their defense and arguably have one of the most talented players in the championship in Berge. Heckingbottom seemed an odd appointment at the time but you can't argue with his effects, I think United will be a solid playoff team unless they make some stunning signing on deadline day to flip the script.

Watford

Watford have been claiming much like an abusive spouse that they've changed and this time they really really won't sack their manager instantly and were they to follow through they'll probably do quite well. Rob Edwards is a bright star in the management game and could really do something special if given the chance, his work at Forest Green was very impressive. Their squad and signings are still a bizzare mishmash most notably the random albanian form barca but they've kept most of their star players, so you can't rule them out.

West Brom

To get it out of the way, they are managed by noted cabbage head useless fuckface Steve Bruce but it's basically a free hit for West Brom. They've made a raft of great signings to fill out an already impressive squad barring maybe a top class goalkeeper you'd fancy most decent managers to get them playoffs at the minimum. I see two timelines ahead of us. Bruce manages to actually get them playing and they do well or he fucks it up but early enough they sack him for someone more capable and get playoffs.

The Dark Horse Zone

:siren: Millwall :siren:

Millwall for the last few years have been a one man team desined to finish somewhere in mid table but they've made some pretty tasty signings in this transfer window that may allow them to be this years Luton but it's with the caveat that they did lose their one man from their one man team so they may just be kinda average.

Luton

Luton were good last season, very very good but it does just feel like they'll probably regress a little bit this year as teams are more prepared for their chaos ball. They've made some solid signings but it just feels like it's going to be a bridge too far to replicate last years form and this is probably a stronger championship than last season.

Coventry

Coventry haven't really signed anyone major or sold anyone major so as long as the good Mark Robins vibes continue they'll probably be up there. This ranking is mostly based on the fact that Gyökeres will probably not keep up his incredible form that we saw last season in terms of goalscoring and that they probably won't be quite such a shock when they press teams extremely high. Probably still gona batter Middlesbrough though.

QPR

QPR were very hot and cold last season, largely owing to the AFCON taking their best players for months. This one'll all come down to how the manager settles. Wharburton was a good manager but was probably going to regress going into this season Beale is highly rated for sure but it'll be a big test to see how he translates to being a number one where the buck stops with him. This is probably the lowest ranked team that could actually run away with the league although they haven't really signed anyone to strengthen.

Swansea

Swansea in the back half of the season were actually pretty drat good. If they hold onto both Piroe and Obafemi and keep them firing they'll scare pretty much any team going. Joe allen is a pure vibes signing and their defence is probably still suspect. Especially if Nathan wood is earmarked to start but if they can just sort out some of their defensive frailties while keeping the attacking play nice and smooth they can beat pretty much anyone handily.

The do nothing vibes zone

Hull

The club representing Turkey will probably not be good but they will probably be very very funny. Selling players like Lewis Potter and Honeyman will hurt but signing players like Seri and every Turkish wasteman going is an interesting experiment at the very least. I expect it'll be like the first season wolves were doing their extremely criminal portugese experiment fairly solid but mostly complete comedy.

Bristol City

Bristol city continue their exciting policy of signing anyone from league 1 and 2 who seems cool and it just might work. The press still fears Big Nige and they had occasional games last season where they looked very threatening. They could sneak into the playoffs if they really get firing but I think they're probaby still too bad defensively to have a shot.

Preston

Preston will continue to be vaugely mid table in the championship again this season Ryan Lowe is a good manager but most of their singings are again loans or players so washed up you can see the liquid on them still in Brady and "The Welsh Danny Graham" Ben Woodburn but they'll probably be fine.

Stoke

There is nothing that says "mid table and going nowhere" more than signing Aden Flint on a free.

At some point you should expect to be looking up league 1 stadiums

Blackburn

Lost their captain and starting centreback, Their main midfield man and starting right back for exactly 0£ in transfer fees, spent most of last season being carried by a man discovering a new home country and he will probably not be discovering any new and exciting nationalities this season, also they've signed nobody of note while losing a manager prone to making teams overperform on basically no budget.

Blackpool

Lost their talismanic manager and replaced him with a guy who has a fairly shaky reputation currently. At points last season they looked like they could get dragged into it and I don't see that changing this season as if living in blackpool wasn't bad enough sadness in your life.

Cardiff

Signed a million wastemen who may or may not make a difference, have a manager who may or may not be good. Cardiff will probably come 12th-14th but I could also see them completely collapsing and ending up in a proper scrap.

Huddersfield

Lost their two best players and did not replace them with anyone of note, Manager walked out on them in pre season and was replaced by some guy literally no one has ever heard of candidate most likely to "do a barnsley"

Sunderland

Above average manager with a fairly poor squad who he will probably turn into absolute nightmares to face, despite this they will lose both games to Middlesbrough and it will be very funny.

You will not survive the winter

Birmingham City

Spared the last few season entirely by the virtue of every club below them getting point deductions I think it is safe to say Birmingham will not make it, their squad is awful, they don't know who their owner is, their stadium is crumbling and falling apart. There is no room for optimism or hope also they retired the shirt of a guy who played for them like 20 times lol wonder what he's up to now.

Reading

See the Joe Lumley video from the top but imagine you signed him, then imagine surviving on the basis of Derby County's actual death being your only hope and STILL only barely making it. Next imagine that your manager is Paul Ince and your star player after losing all your other decent players is Tom Ince.

It's over.

Rotherham

See you season after next.

This Friday the season starts and Huddersfield and Burnley will draw 0-0 on telly as is tradition on the first day.

You can also discuss league 1, 2 and non league in this thread because it's all got the same highlights show which is :siren: ON ITV THIS YEAR :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bristol City have signed Kane Wilson from FGR who is very good so I hope that works out for him and them. I also hope we don't miss him too much and manage to not get our poo poo pushed in too hard in our first season in the dizzy heights of League One (with two comedy stars on our shirts)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Thank christ we got rid of Joe Lumley and have a decent keeper between the sticks. Genuinely should get us a fair few points by himself this season. Once Muniz and Armstrong come that should be the goalscoring problem fixed, with Jones and Giles terrorising defences down both wings.

Now watch us fail to get any strikers in and rely on Chuba Akpom and Duncan Watmore until January.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
utb (vague)

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

sebzilla posted:

Bristol City have signed Kane Wilson from FGR who is very good so I hope that works out for him and them. I also hope we don't miss him too much and manage to not get our poo poo pushed in too hard in our first season in the dizzy heights of League One (with two comedy stars on our shirts)
if FGR are gona keep doing the plastic star thing they imo they should remove one everytime they get relegated

Dell_Zincht posted:

Thank christ we got rid of Joe Lumley and have a decent keeper between the sticks. Genuinely should get us a fair few points by himself this season. Once Muniz and Armstrong come that should be the goalscoring problem fixed, with Jones and Giles terrorising defences down both wings.

Now watch us fail to get any strikers in and rely on Chuba Akpom and Duncan Watmore until January.

The joe lumley experience was genuinely harrowing especially after having just come off the betenelli season, I think I'd fall in love with an average keeper at this point.

also big lol if we actually start the season with Akpom, Watmore and Coburn as our strikers.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I predict this year hartlepool are going to be anonymous in league 2 again

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
See you this time next year lads

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Cov and West Brom up, Birmingham city down, let’s make the championship a midlands free zone

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ItohRespectArmy posted:

also big lol if we actually start the season with Akpom, Watmore and Coburn as our strikers.

I've just been informed that Marcus Forss to us is all but done

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

West Brom have the best midfield in the league on paper and return most of a defence that only allowed 45 goals last season but haven’t replaced Sam Johnstone or added anyone up front, so I’m expecting a lot of really boring draws and embarrassing losses despite bossing possession

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Swansea in the back half of the season were actually pretty drat good.

lmao

We had a good run when we played 7 of the bottom 8 in a row (plus Millwall or something) but as soon as half-decent teams appeared we got pumped again.

Wood has been pretty decent in preseason, but our defensive issues can't be fixed by the players. It's a shape/system issue. A bunch of managers last season said "Swansea give you chances other teams don't" and that's unlikely to change. We leave huge gaps, and work really hard to keep the ball in areas more dangerous to us than the opposition. Martin's teams "dominate" games (have loads of possession) and lose/draw. MK Dons' results improved massively the moment he left.

We're in trouble when we lose Piroe. £20m asking price but he's the best finisher I've seen with us since Michu. And Michu wasn't just as good with his right foot, or capable of scoring from outside the box.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Millwall will do their now traditional too late push for the play off slots and finish 7th to 10th on the last day

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

if FGR are gona keep doing the plastic star thing they imo they should remove one everytime they get relegated

That's fine, we're immune to relegation. Always some shenanigans to bail us out.

Quote this post and laugh at the end of the season when we're poo poo canned back to League Two.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'll be happy if Sunderland stay up. Ha'way the Lads

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Thank christ we got rid of Joe Lumley .

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/middlesbrough-verge-completing-signing-brentford-24595342

Forss apparently had a medical for Boro today.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Yeah, I was told this morning him and Tommy Smith were getting their photos taken today, announcement should be tomorrow

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Good op, op. Millwall are in the process of hoovering up our entire youth system, Charlie cresswell is excellent and I'm surprised Leeds didn't keep him around tbh.

Just one week to go til I need to remember where quest is on my channel guide

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

the sex ghost posted:

Good op, op. Millwall are in the process of hoovering up our entire youth system, Charlie cresswell is excellent and I'm surprised Leeds didn't keep him around tbh.

Just one week to go til I need to remember where quest is on my channel guide

the highlights are on itv this year m8, quest is over.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the highlights are on itv this year m8, quest is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKATrHsDeFI

But unironically

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Tav's off to Bournemouth, luckily we have Riley McGree

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

sebzilla posted:

That's fine, we're immune to relegation. Always some shenanigans to bail us out.

Quote this post and laugh at the end of the season when we're poo poo canned back to League Two.

I will don't worry

We've not signed many down in Exeter, but we managed to keep everyone too so honestly I can't grumble.

We'll probably be mid-table or something, last season's squad would've beaten half the division pretty handily. Can't say I'm super excited for a first away day at Lincoln; last time we came up we went to Elland Road instead

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I am hearing unconfirmed reports that the championship is back.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

karmicknight posted:

I am hearing unconfirmed reports that the championship is back.

hosed up if true.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Burnley should be liquidated for that kit alone

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
hearing reports that "huddersfield are going down"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

karmicknight posted:

hearing reports that "huddersfield are going down"

0 shots on target and 30% possession at home seems bad but I'm not a stats guy

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
They looked like a team who's manager quit earlier this month.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Charlie cresswell is excellent and I'm surprised Leeds didn't keep him around tbh.

Been saying this

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Nice to see Joe Lumley starting the new season how he finished the last one

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Three points on the board, can't ask for much more.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Middlesbrough striker goal watch 2022.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yellow-Yellow-Red in 20 seconds all from being an passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat.

https://twitter.com/Mattyp45/status/1553393769399160833

(files clip away for nominating for "stupidest red card in the EFL 2022-23" shortlist)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
West Brom looking their THEIR manager quit on July 7th.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SirFozzie posted:

Yellow-Yellow-Red in 20 seconds all from being an passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat.

https://twitter.com/Mattyp45/status/1553393769399160833

(files clip away for nominating for "stupidest red card in the EFL 2022-23" shortlist)

hearing reports that "Middlesbrough legend Lee Tomlin at it again"

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Well, at least John Swift looks a good player

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

send in big daryl, cabbage head

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Stoke looked absolutely terrible so condolences to any Stoke fans. Thanks to Leeds for sending us some good players as well.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
somehow clownball has returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I'll take that point.

We need more midfielders and a competent striker though.