Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
There are three picks among the 4 teams, so way above average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

kensei posted:

It's draft day, I cannot wait to read about all the NFC West First Round picks... wait

Ho ho ho

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I'm voting for the mock draft that landed both Jalen Carter and future GOAT Anthony Richardson in Seattle.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Nervous posted:

I'm voting for the mock draft that landed both Jalen Carter and future GOAT Anthony Richardson in Seattle.

Reality sucks.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I know JSN was the first WR on a bunch of boards and I'm excited for him, but should I feel good about the Seahawks picking Witherspoon over Carter? Feels weird.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pungry posted:

I know JSN was the first WR on a bunch of boards and I'm excited for him, but should I feel good about the Seahawks picking Witherspoon over Carter? Feels weird.

Carter fell for a reason but CB for Seattle feels like a real luxury pick. JSN will be a good complement to Lockett and Metcalf it also feels like a luxury pick to spend a first on a slot WR in an already good WR room. Weird draft given their needs on both lines.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Pungry posted:

Glad we didn’t take Carter

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Yeah both picks are luxury positions. Definitely room at those spots for upgrades or filling long term needs but to exit the 2 first round picks without any DL help or at least a qb prospect is really disappointing. The defense is gonna be hot garbage if they don't get some starting quality DL in the draft.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Cat Hassler posted:

Glad we didn’t take Carter

+1. Too many red flags. I feel like Tyree might have been a better choice based on needs, but WItherspoon is legit. I am hoping they see some potential at DL/EDGE in the later rounds, but leaving the first round with the best candidates at DB and WR is not a bad outcome.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Seattle: "don't tell anyone they can beat us running the ball"
NFC West: "run the ball you say..."
Seattle: "wait a minute... Do we even have a starting Dline?"

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

nollij posted:

Oh shi

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

nollij posted:

Narrator: They didn't.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

nollij posted:

lol

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I don’t follow college ball at all so draft time is not really my forte. Is this a decent draft for defensive guys they could grab late or no?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nollij posted:

gently caress

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CB and WR are not luxury picks for Seattle. They were positions of need. In the contemporary nfl you need 3 starting receivers. Seattle had 2 great wrs and then garbage. Now they hopefully have 3 starting receivers. Especially useful because we needed a slot and JSN is a slot monster.

And because offenses use 3 wrs, defenses need 3 starting cbs. Seattle had 2 - a great outside and a good slot. So they needed another outside cb. Hello Devon.

The remaining areas of need are RG, C, DL, ILB, and QB.

The top RG and top Center are both still available and there are only 5 teams in front of Seattle in the second round. Plentiful IOL and DL prospects to be had in the second and third.

Seattle had/has too many holes to plausibly expect everything to get fixed this offseason/draft, even with 4 picks in the top 60. It’s a weak draft class and the hawks need like 6.5 starters. It’s smart to just take the best player they can at those positions of need and hopefully things pan out.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

For Seattle this heartbreaking draft will immediately skyrocket to an A+ draft if they grab this fella:

Siaki Ika, DT, Baylor

He big

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I was shocked and kind of disappointed by the Witherspoon pick, but the more I read about him the more I understand the logic. I think it's just surprise - I knew Carroll loved the guy but never in a million years did I think they'd take him at 5. This is the first time Carroll and Schneider have ever taken a CB above the third round.

He seems fun as hell though - completely batshit, like a CB Earl Thomas. Pete really thinks he's like Polumalu, and if that's in your crosshairs then I get it. They always have wanted to build the defense back to front, and they've said that their biggest draft mistakes have been when they prioritized need over talent.

JSN was a position of actual need too, Dee Eskridge was a bust and they have no WR3. He gives them that, plus maybe an eventual Lockett replacement. No reservations about that, and there's a reason he was mocked to Seattle plenty.

That said...uhh regardless of talent there still is a big big need. They have serious work to do. Hoping Adebawore or Benton is in the mix for them today because there are only 3 DTs on the roster.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I experienced extreme relief with the CB pick. I was in the dread zone thinking they would take Carter or levis and I don't like either

With how the top 4 went and how the restof the draft fell I give this final round an A. Agree with Ornery zbout these not being luxury picks. Now go get some d line hawks

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Post draft chatter is that Seattle would have taken Richardson if the Colts had passed on him.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

shirts and skins posted:

Post draft chatter is that Seattle would have taken Richardson if the Colts had passed on him.

If only :sigh:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah I feel the same way you rascals feel.

Taking Witherspoon at 5 is a bit high in a vacuum but 1) he wasn’t going to be around after the lions, 2) he is a good player, 3) it’s a premium position at a position of need, and 4) he got that dawg in him.

I’m really happy we avoided Carter and heck we at least dodged Levis in the first.

E: Witherspoon has perhaps the most dawg in him, per pound of player, in this entire draft!!!

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 28, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

shirts and skins posted:

Way back during the end of season I felt immense calamity when the broncos pick dropped from #4 to #5. I expressed this sentiment and the naysayers dismissed my concerns; after all it’s still a top 5 pick right??? I knew it would be bad but to be this bad? Tragedy straight from Shakespeare…

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

CB and WR are not luxury picks for Seattle. They were positions of need. In the contemporary nfl you need 3 starting receivers. Seattle had 2 great wrs and then garbage. Now they hopefully have 3 starting receivers. Especially useful because we needed a slot and JSN is a slot monster.

And because offenses use 3 wrs, defenses need 3 starting cbs. Seattle had 2 - a great outside and a good slot. So they needed another outside cb. Hello Devon.

The remaining areas of need are RG, C, DL, ILB, and QB.

The top RG and top Center are both still available and there are only 5 teams in front of Seattle in the second round. Plentiful IOL and DL prospects to be had in the second and third.

Seattle had/has too many holes to plausibly expect everything to get fixed this offseason/draft, even with 4 picks in the top 60. It’s a weak draft class and the hawks need like 6.5 starters. It’s smart to just take the best player they can at those positions of need and hopefully things pan out.

After sleeping on it I guess you're right. I just feel like on that list of needs DL is DIRE NEED and the rest are just regular need. Like if we don't pick up another 2 starting quality DL before the season starts the defense is going to be a catastrophe regardless of how good the secondary is.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

hell yeah KJ

https://twitter.com/mikedugar/status/1652016339018723328?s=46&t=FY2QmnCLY7jcsq6nWXa7vw

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DancingMachine posted:

After sleeping on it I guess you're right. I just feel like on that list of needs DL is DIRE NEED and the rest are just regular need. Like if we don't pick up another 2 starting quality DL before the season starts the defense is going to be a catastrophe regardless of how good the secondary is.

Yeah our defense still needs a lot of front-5 talent. And it’s even worse than it seems because some of the current Seahawks decent talent is a FA next offseason.

It’s also quirky because DL/edges generally don’t make significant pas rush contribution their rookie seasons. Even the top tier prospects. So it’s like..\:shobon:/

Which defensive prospects you got your eye on??

Given how the draft talent looks so far, I want them to grab IOL at their top second rounder. That’s a position of huge need and the prospect talent is there and they could be an immediate day 1 starter. The best way to win in the nfl is to have a great passing offense so maybe build a strength on strength?

I was in love with Siaka, the monster NT, for our defense but a goon in a different thread said they read rumors about him failing several team medical evaluations :smith:

In conclusion; I LOVE FOOTBAWWW

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah, all that is why I realized that after what happened with Carter the Hawks were in maybe the worst position out of the whole top 10. I really thought the Colts were going to pick Levis, though. At the very least if Richardson does end up being good we'll only have to play him once every 4 years or so.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah good point about we only face Anthony every few years

lol the afc-nfc qb discrepancy just got even wider

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It’s wild seeing people talk about Anthony Richardson like he’s already good as opposed to a bad college player viewed as a huge risk.

I know some of it is just a bit, but I don’t think all of it is.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s wild seeing people talk about Anthony Richardson like he’s already good as opposed to a bad college player viewed as a huge risk.

I know some of it is just a bit, but I don’t think all of it is.

It's honestly more annoying than the obvious trolls that TFF collectively took the bait on and went rabid over after the Seahawks won the Super Bowl.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If JSN is as good as they say he is then I think DK and Tyler get better just because you have to cover 3 good dudes instead of 2. Was a little confounded by the pick but pretty okay with it after.

It definitely seems like they're trying to recreate the LOB with the Witherspoon pick. Who needs a defensive line when you can get coverage sacks??

But seriously I hope they snag linemen on both fronts in the second round.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I actually really like the JSN pick in context because we really, really suffered on offense when teams were able to scheme out one of DK or Tyler. It seems like the FO had the same observations, but with that said, I hope they slam DL or interior OL every pick from here on out.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

seiferguy posted:

But seriously I hope they snag linemen on both fronts in the second round.

Yeah

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Seahawks :gonk:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So glad the Niners didn't whiff on their first and second round picks.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So glad the Niners didn't whiff on their first and second round picks.

They have three 3rd round picks and they've had some good success that round in the past.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Taking another running back way too high again is :discourse:

At least it wasn't a first this time!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Considering Penny and Homer left in free agency and Deejay Dallas doesn't inspire a lot of hope as a 2nd RB, I'm not against the idea. I know nothing about the RB though.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Gotta have RBs but they loving get hurt all the time so might as well stock up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

As a believer in The Run, more RBs is fine.