Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

I will never ride any of those giant drop towers that just lift you up and then drop you. I went on the tower of terror once and that was enough, and that was indoors. Outdoors, no thank you.

What won't you ever ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I will NEVER go upside-down on a roller coaster.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

I will never ride any of those giant drop towers that just lift you up and then drop you. I went on the tower of terror once and that was enough, and that was indoors. Outdoors, no thank you.

What won't you ever ride?

Same, but mostly because there was a high-profile case of a cable snapping on one and whipping around some poor girls legs, causing her to lose one of them. Sorry to be a downer!

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Chakan posted:

Same, but mostly because there was a high-profile case of a cable snapping on one and whipping around some poor girls legs, causing her to lose one of them. Sorry to be a downer!

Oh drat. I'm more afraid of it not stopping, obviously.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I rode Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa while I was down there. It's a ~330ft drop tower, with the gimmick that when the ride car gets to the top, all of the seats lift inward causing you to look straight down at the ground for a solid 10-15 seconds before it drops. I loving hate drop towers but I felt I had to ride it to face my fear. It sucked the entire time and I hated every second of it, but I'm glad I rode it so I could at least say I had done it. I will NOT be riding Falcon's Fury ever again, thank you very much

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Those dumb kiddie rides like dumbo or whatever, that shits boring

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Teacup style rides.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Edward Mass posted:

I will NEVER go upside-down on a roller coaster.

this. never got over the fear

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Cyclotrons like Mission to Mars at Epcot. drat thing gave me a nasty headache the one and only time I ever rode it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Cyclotrons like Mission to Mars at Epcot. drat thing gave me a nasty headache the one and only time I ever rode it.

I'll do any ride once, but there's some I won't do again. Mission: Space is one of them. It's a literal centrifuge and I feel like poo poo afterwards. Same for those pendulum rides like Crazanity at Magic Mountain. I feel hosed up for a couple hours after that.

That poo poo doesn't bother me on roller coasters though. I love those things. Give me all the G's.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I went on one of these once and I almost puked:

Literally no other ride has ever done that to me, though, including other spinny things that people have trouble with like Mission: Space. Not sure what the deal is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Roadie posted:

I went on one of these once and I almost puked:

Literally no other ride has ever done that to me, though, including other spinny things that people have trouble with like Mission: Space. Not sure what the deal is.

What the gently caress is that thing? Do the ride vehicles (cages?) rotate freely and randomly while it goes along the track?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Any carnival ride. I wouldn't trust them not to fall apart with me on it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I used to like the Gravitron as a kid, but at some point in my teenage years they started making me barf, so I stopped riding those.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Any roller coaster with a pitch black indoor section. I end up clutching my head for dear life, can't handle it at all. My brain is absolutely convinced I'm going to hit my head on something.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

What the gently caress is that thing? Do the ride vehicles (cages?) rotate freely and randomly while it goes along the track?

It's like a chainsaw that spins
https://youtu.be/-8JYmGZgz14

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I fear nothing, but I am now old. Roller coasters, drop rides, etc. are no issue. The one ride that fucks me up is the classic Scrambler, which shows up at basically every amusement park and state fair ever. Something about that ride just causes lunch to exit. All the other classic spin-n-puke carnival rides, like a tilt-a-whirl or tea cups, I can handle okay. Not so for the Scrambler.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Theme park rides I’ll get on anything. I like spinning rides, upside-down rides, rollercoasters. But the fair rides are another story… The octopus is my nausea nemesis.

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's like a chainsaw that spins
https://youtu.be/-8JYmGZgz14

That weird saw thing is the zipper btw. I think it’s so bad because it’s unpredictable exactly when your individual cab will rotate.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'll do any ride once, but there's some I won't do again. Mission: Space is one of them. It's a literal centrifuge and I feel like poo poo afterwards. Same for those pendulum rides like Crazanity at Magic Mountain. I feel hosed up for a couple hours after that.

That poo poo doesn't bother me on roller coasters though. I love those things. Give me all the G's.

Same. I’ll give almost anything a go at least once. Not too keen on vertical drop rides but will happily go on any and every roller coaster around. It helps that I live 20 minutes from a major US theme park, so grew up with easy access.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Those enormous swings where they winch you up to the top of one side look terrifying to me.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Vertical drop rides, and those roller coasters where you're just going back and forth between two points over and over? hell nah

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The rides a Busch Garden in VA used to be dangerous. There was a pendulum ride but it was not a swing, nor one where you'd go upside down, nor spin and it wasn't a pirate ship. Just a basic one that went back and forth, higher and higher, then over the top. The ride itself was quite old.

The safety mechanism to keep you in the seats were over-the-waist seat belts like those you would find on an old airplane or ride. Most of them did not buckle. When they did buckle, none of them could be tightened past the point of someone with a large waist/stomach. They were also difficult to unbuckle because the mechanisms were so old and rusted.

The operator would start the ride almost as soon as people were seated, not really caring if their belts were buckled or not, they did no pre-ride check. The belts hardly worked at all, anyway, and when you got air you could slip them.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I tried something at Paul Bunyan Land in Bemidji, MN, that I will never ride again. This was a long time ago and I’ve never seen it anywhere else, so I’ll have to describe it as best I can:

It was a trailerable ride with a huge fan compressor, just like a skydiving simulator. Instead of skydiving, though, it went into a vertical tube with a ball that was almost the same diameter. They would latch you, one person at a time, into the seat in the ball. Then the fan would get turned on and it would repeatedly shoot you up OUT THE TOP. It had a wider part sorta like a funnel to catch you and they could only run it with no wind.

Basically ‘Human Cannonball - The Ride’. Never again.

Edit: I managed to find a picture! It was called the ‘Space Probe. IIRC the wider part just below the top would extend up; that’s the ‘funnel’ part. It’s attached to doors down low to enclose the tube; when you’re loading that lets the fan spin without picking up the capsule. .

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 29, 2022

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
I loving hate water rides

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Does it count to say that I will never, ever get on the swinging section of the Ferris Wheel at California Adventure again?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Freakazoid_ posted:

I used to like the Gravitron as a kid, but at some point in my teenage years they started making me barf, so I stopped riding those.
when I discovered the Gravitron as a youth I wanted to do it over and over and over and over again

I can't imagine what it would feel like now, as an old. Back then I could spin around in a swivel chair indefinitely with no ill effects, now... not so much

Roth posted:

Does it count to say that I will never, ever get on the swinging section of the Ferris Wheel at California Adventure again?
I've still never been on this because my wife gets nausea at anything more hardcore than the Little Mermaid, would love to see if it's as stomach-churning as people say. Most rollercoasters do nothing for me in the barfy feelings department.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I didn't get nauseous, but for me the thing that makes it uncomfortable is that it really doesn't do a good job making you feel safe like every other ride I've been on.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gravitron kicked so much rear end as a kid, can't even imagine going on it now.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I rode this once and that was more than enough

https://youtu.be/RLTdt-j-ais

Rides where I'm constantly thinking about how I'm completely screwed if the restraints fail bother me. Conceptually I know if the restraints fail on a rollercoaster I'm done as well, but not in such an easily visualized way. Superman at six flags gets me for the same reason

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Oh yeah someone mentioned the pirate ship and I don't think I've ever rode one. As a kid I always saw it linger upside down for too long.

Also I've never rode any crappy fair rides, other than a ferris wheel.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Space Shot at Walibi Holland hurt my shoulders so much that I feel it for the rest of the day. Hating on El Condor(or Vampire if you're Belgian) is pretty much the favorite pastime for any Walibi visitor but as a tall person, I'd pick either of them over having the old S&S shoulder bars try to tear off my arms again.

Don't get me wrong, the ride itself is nice and it arguably gives a better view of the park than La Grande Roue but I just physically don't fit inside it properly.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
The Hellhole at Coney Island came apart in '95 and people got thrown out of it and hit with shrapnel and poo poo, we weren't allowed to ride any gravitron type thing after that

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i remember reading about some family's insanely grisly and hideous death on a water 'rafting' ride when one of the dinghies overturned on a section where it gets winched up a hill by submerged machinery.

Definitely put me off the whole concept

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

when I discovered the Gravitron as a youth I wanted to do it over and over and over and over again

I can't imagine what it would feel like now, as an old. Back then I could spin around in a swivel chair indefinitely with no ill effects, now... not so much

The Gravitron is pretty boring ... unless it's mostly empty and the carny running it doesn't care. Little me got a kick out of climbing across the moving seats.

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

Oh yeah someone mentioned the pirate ship and I don't think I've ever rode one. As a kid I always saw it linger upside down for too long.

Got on one of those once a long time ago where no one was checking height requirement too closely and went right to the end section. Of course, the lapbar didn't come down tightly so the next few minutes were white knuckle terror trying to hold on to that bar without slipping out. Those long upside down pauses were the worst.

It was a few years before I got back on that ride.

e: Content - roller coasters might be fast, but at least there's something securing you in place. Beware water slides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verr%C3%BCckt

quote:

The 2018 indictment against Schlitterbahn wrote that Henry and Schooley "lacked technical expertise to design a properly functioning water slide" and did not perform standard engineering procedures or calculations on how the slide would operate. Instead they used "crude trial-and-error methods" to test its performance, out of haste to launch the ride. According to court documents, Schooley conceded that, "If we actually knew how to do this, and it could be done that easily, it wouldn't be that spectacular."

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 30, 2022

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Loco here in vegas launched a lady out of her seat and maimed her and its still running i will never ride that monstrosity

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I like thrill rides. I like going upside down, I like centrifuges, I like drop towers. They're fun.

I rode Zumanjaro once. Once. Never again.

The drop is actually quite fun! Being winched up as you slowly go higher... and higher... and higher... and higher, until you're so high up you can literally see the Philly skyline? Not worth the drop.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Roth posted:

Oh yeah my wife and I thought it'd be a gentle, breezy swing but instead it's like an annoying little roller coaster

The barf bags were ominous

FWIW she'll never do the Goofy sky school ride because the perspective tricks made her feel like she'd be decapitated at any minute

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i've never ridden a drop tower and i don't think i ever will. i'd need a full tour from the engineer who designed it of all safety features to even think about it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i've never ridden a drop tower and i don't think i ever will. i'd need a full tour from the engineer who designed it of all safety features to even think about it

if you wanna knock your fear of heights out in one go the big shot at The Strat in vegas is a great place to start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59caVJuXRZk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ramases Revenge at Chessington World Of Adventures is/was a big spinny thing, and probably the best ride in an otherwise very tame park.

Unfortunately, when I was a kid, I saw one of the handles that riders were meant to hold fall off, so gently caress that.