Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Ur freaking mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Mind Eraser at Six Flags America

Actually any Vekoma SLC at this point

I'm debating ever riding I305 at Kings Dominion. I feel like its going to be way too intense

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Chakan posted:

Same, but mostly because there was a high-profile case of a cable snapping on one and whipping around some poor girls legs, causing her to lose one of them. Sorry to be a downer!

I'll ride pretty much anything, but ever since reading that back when it happened, I've skipped those rides until the first trip to Kings Island this season. One of my twins loves it and my wife had already ridden it once so I went ahead and rode it for him but a highlight reel of me enjoying my legs the last 46 years continuously played in my head the entire time from getting buckled in until landing. I'm glad to report that I still have them.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

BlueBayou posted:

Mind Eraser at Six Flags America

Actually any Vekoma SLC at this point

I'm debating ever riding I305 at Kings Dominion. I feel like its going to be way too intense
I've been told the new trains on El Condor make a world of a difference but my trip to Walibi has been getting delayed a bunch so I can't personally confirm that yet. If not, there's also Great Noreaster or whatever the retracked one is called.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've never gone on a ride that goes upside down. I want to rectify that but I feel there is a large chance I will be in line for 5 minutes and then bail.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MJeff posted:

I've never gone on a ride that goes upside down. I want to rectify that but I feel there is a large chance I will be in line for 5 minutes and then bail.

You just gotta do it.

I won't give people a hard time if they don't go on certain rides because of phobias or even physical reasons. In your case it seems you want to do it, so yeah just do it. Get over that fear. Have fun!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’ve done a few of the bone rattling jerk you from side to side rides and I don’t think I would do it again. Just not enjoyable.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

I've been told the new trains on El Condor make a world of a difference but my trip to Walibi has been getting delayed a bunch so I can't personally confirm that yet. If not, there's also Great Noreaster or whatever the retracked one is called.

yeah I'd do Noreaster

Kong at SFDK was my first upside down coaster so I had love for it for way longer than I should have before I finally realized its very painful

edit:

Id also go on this SLC because why not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzQBThmwVCc

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 30, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Probably no one has been there but maybe some people have heard of it- any of the stuff at Action Park.

That place was probably the most dangerous theme park in the US.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Any ride with a weight limit.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I once rode on something that was similar to the Magic Carpet carnival ride, it was brand new to the puyallup fair in 2000 or so and more advanced, flipping you upside down and stuff. There was a problem with it and in retrospect I probably should have walked away.

Being a big guy, the operators had a little discussion but let me on anyway. The seats were the smallest I had seen on anything not a children's ride, I just barely fit. The upper harness clamped down tight, but the support bar was an inch short of the notch in the harness. It was still actively pressing against the harness, the carnie saw it but didn't seem to care. I felt secure enough with the harness locked in place anyway so I went for it.

I survived and it was fun alright, but as the ride came to an end, the harness was pressing hard enough on my right side that my arm went numb.

I've avoided that specific ride since.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Freakazoid_ posted:

I used to like the Gravitron as a kid, but at some point in my teenage years they started making me barf, so I stopped riding those.
When I was younger my favorite rides were spinning ones like this and the Tilt-a-Whirl but after hitting age 30 or so my inner ear totally wimped out and spinning stuff easily made me nauseous. The nadir of that was good ol' Mission: Space, which I rode early in the morning and felt continuous mild vertigo until after taking a nap that afternoon.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

There this ride called Shake Rattle 'n Roll at Elitch Gardens in Denver I will not ride again. Not because it's scary, but because the harness that holds you in the ride is super uncomfortable and it destroyed my nuts. Never again.

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.

Fuligin posted:

i remember reading about some family's insanely grisly and hideous death on a water 'rafting' ride when one of the dinghies overturned on a section where it gets winched up a hill by submerged machinery.

Definitely put me off the whole concept

I'd like to read about this if you don't mind telling me where it happened.

As for terrible rear end rides I'll never do again, superman style laying roller coasters, the worst roller coaster I ever rode was one of them, it banged my head back and forth between the hard plastic sides of the vehicle with each turn, it was a lovely gimmick that has mostly died the death it deserved though, thankfully.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Metoron posted:

As for terrible rear end rides I'll never do again, superman style laying roller coasters, the worst roller coaster I ever rode was one of them, it banged my head back and forth between the hard plastic sides of the vehicle with each turn, it was a lovely gimmick that has mostly died the death it deserved though, thankfully.
This sounds like you've encountered a Zamperla Volare, those are famously terrible. The new Vekoma flying coaster is pretty good although there's currently only one with no others planned.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
I rode the Steel Phantom in Kennywood as a teenager and smacked my head and neck against the restraints. Spent the rest of the day with an ugly headache and my neck has never been right since.

They closed it a few years later because too many people were complaining of head/neck injuries. Oh, and also because it was going faster than it was supposed to, even after they added an extra brake.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

spacing in vienna posted:

I rode the Steel Phantom in Kennywood as a teenager and smacked my head and neck against the restraints. Spent the rest of the day with an ugly headache and my neck has never been right since.

They closed it a few years later because too many people were complaining of head/neck injuries. Oh, and also because it was going faster than it was supposed to, even after they added an extra brake.

They re-did it and gave it a new name. It’s a pretty good coaster now.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Metoron posted:

Thunder River Rapids at Dreamworld Australia. If you google image search the name of the ride you can see the positions of the rafts, and while none of the pics I saw were :nms: I won't repost here because maybe some people in goofy RSF land don't want to see that poo poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_River_Rapids_Ride#2016_incident

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 4, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Roadie posted:

I went on one of these once and I almost puked:

Literally no other ride has ever done that to me, though, including other spinny things that people have trouble with like Mission: Space. Not sure what the deal is.

When I was a kid I used to be *terrified* of the zipper, now I'm usually first in line.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Roadie posted:

I went on one of these once and I almost puked:

Literally no other ride has ever done that to me, though, including other spinny things that people have trouble with like Mission: Space. Not sure what the deal is.

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's like a chainsaw that spins
https://youtu.be/-8JYmGZgz14

These Zipper style rides and the like would be on the very short list for me. Not because they always seem like sketchy and questionably maintained parking lot carnival type rides (which is also likely true), but I can't imagine how they are not going to seriously screw up my neck, probably give me a killer headache, and maybe a mild concussion. Watching that video is enough to reconvince me.

The "if in the extremely unlikely event things go seriously wrong, I'm dead" big coaster rides don't really bother me, because the chances are almost nothing. Even the older coasters that are known to jostle you around a bit too much I'm going to at least give it a shot and probably have fun. However, the "I am almost certainly going to sustain minor injuries and am guaranteed to not have a good time the entire ride, or for the rest of my painful day" ones just have no appeal to me.

Case in point, look at how uncomfortable that kid looks getting off at the very beginning of the video, lol.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't mind upside-down roller coasters, but I won't do ones that just have your feet and legs dangling in midair. Gotta have a car that you sit in.

Wooden roller coasters are way too bumpy and unpleasant, they're not scary but it's just not a good time imo.

I won't do water slides with totally enclosed tubes, it seems like I'm definitely going to flip over or get stuck and nobody will know anything's wrong until dead bodies come out the bottom. I'm not at all claustrophobic in general, but running water in a small space seems like an obvious no.

Otoh my favorite ride is the pirate ship. Once we went to a small park on a day that happened to be pretty empty, and I rode the pirate ship for probably like an hour straight.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

spacing in vienna posted:

This is because it was an Arrow Dynamics coaster and Arrow absolutely does not know how to build a smooth ride. Or at least they didn't at the time.

They handed the redesign (Phantom's Revenge) to Morgan, and it's like night and day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was afraid of zippers but Knotts had one for a while and I figured if it was there it must be safe (?) and gave it a try and loved it. Then I went on one at a fair and it creaked and moaned like a motherfucker so at least in a parking lot fair I'm not getting on one of those.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Boxman posted:

Thunder River Rapids at Dreamworld Australia. If you google image search the name of the ride you can see the positions of the rafts, and while none of the pics I saw were :nms: I won't repost here because maybe some people in goofy RSF land don't want to see that poo poo.

Well that's nightmarish.

I don't like most rides, so my answer for this thread is nearly all of em. Which is not a problem as an adult, I just don't go to theme parks, but when I was a kid my parents would get season passes every year for six flags. The only ride I really liked was the Roaring Rapids. I was so betrayed when it killed someone in the late 90s. The raft flipped over after getting stuck on a pipe. Another problem with the water being too low.

I had a close call on a log flume sorta ride in San Antonio because of that. The water was too low and my arm touched the not supposed to be dry side as I went down and it burned off the skin on my arm leaving a silver dollar sized hole.

Water rides, man

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Boxman posted:

anybody else hungry for chili now? :P

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't like most drop rides, but the Tower of Terror is fine. I assume Mission Breakout too since it's the same core ride, but I've never been to Disneyland.

I can't do spinning rides.

I was also told Rip Ride Rockit at Universal slams you around your seat constantly and will leave you bruised, so I'm not willing to test that out.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
One time, several decades ago, I talked my cousin into going on the Enterprise at Kennywood. Two of you got in an enclosed car, then the ride started spinning until the cars swung out sideways, then everything was tilted up until you were spinning vertically.

Never again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Presto posted:

One time, several decades ago, I talked my cousin into going on the Enterprise at Kennywood. Two of you got in an enclosed car, then the ride started spinning until the cars swung out sideways, then everything was tilted up until you were spinning vertically.

Never again.

They re-did (replaced?) it and called it Volcano. It was not operating for a couple years and I think it was last year they actually removed the ride but the queue/theming is still there.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I was also told Rip Ride Rockit at Universal slams you around your seat constantly and will leave you bruised, so I'm not willing to test that out.

Rip Ride Rockit sprained my neck and it hurt for like a week. No bruises though! Also all the music selections suck.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I don't like most drop rides, but the Tower of Terror is fine. I assume Mission Breakout too since it's the same core ride, but I've never been to Disneyland.

Mission Breakout is less about the drop and more about the up

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Mission Breakout is less about the drop and more about the up

I heard it also doesn't have the part of Tower of Terror where the ride vehicle moves through the building to the other side?

That seems like it would be perfect for the theme. Did the Cali ToT not have that part, or did they just remove it for Guardians?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I heard it also doesn't have the part of Tower of Terror where the ride vehicle moves through the building to the other side?

That seems like it would be perfect for the theme. Did the Cali ToT not have that part, or did they just remove it for Guardians?

ToT at DLR never had that part. Chalk it up to space/budget/time I imagine.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Aphrodite posted:

Only Orlando has the 5th Dimension scene. It's also the only one with the fancy self driving elevators.

The other versions are more simple vehicles that don't move horizontally on their own (they are pushed from load to the elevator).

Explained about 15:00 into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGZuA_LSk8

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I love that video. Going on drop towers and then coming off saying “well it turns out gravity is a disappointment, we’re going to have to make some improvements” is, like, the platonic ideal of imagineering.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
When I was a child I refused to ride Star Tours because the first time I did I got very motion sick. I kept this up a couple years, and we went to Disneyland a ton back then. Well, on my birthday one year my mom decided she was going on it whether I was there or not. So her, my best friend and stepdad went on the ride and left me in Star Trader, the gift shop while they went on it. This was back before they optimized the line. So it was almost two hours. I walked around the arcade some but I was a kid, I had no money, I wasn’t even a teen yet. That poo poo sucked.

At some point later my motion sickness got better, and I did try the ride again and it is of course one of my favorites.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I won't ever, again, go on those apple things with the wheel in the middle to spin it. I learned my lesson that I don't have the self preservation not to get that thing spinning so fast that I'm sick for several minutes.

I fully understand why people don't like drop tower rides, but those are the best. I love being absolutely sure I'm about to die and then not. I'm likely to change my mind the first time one fails on me though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was in Orlando across the street when that kid died at Icon Park. I think I’ll just stick with never riding those completely open to the air kind.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Even though I have anxiety disorders, including General, in recent years, I've found that I can ride and enjoy just about anything at an amusement park. It's pretty ironic. Some exceptions from Kings Dominion, the closest park to me:

• The Berserker - a pirate ship/battering ram ride that goes all the way upside down in a circle. It uses over-the-shoulder harnesses, so it feels pretty safe, but I don't like being dangled upside-down for several seconds at a time.
  • The Crypt - long rows of seats that are lifted up and vertically spun around. Really disorienting and the restraints were painful. Thankfully it's gone now.
  • Anaconda - slow, boring, Arrow Dynamics steel coaster. Lots of inversions. My main gripe is that it's an extremely rough ride and will bang your head against the over-shoulder restraints. I really wish KD would replace it with something else.
  • The Haunted River - one of those dark rides where you go through a cave. But it had scary horror stuff in it and a sizable log-flume-like drop at the end. My parents took me on it at age 3 and it pretty much ruined all rides for me until I was a teenager. It was still there when I went back as a teen, but I still refused to ride it then, too. I remember feeling an inexplicable sense of dread any time I looked at the fake concrete mountain it was housed in. They later turned the mountain into a launch coaster, which was great, but that has since also been dismantled (including the mountain itself) and that spot in the park is still unused for anything.
  • The Hurler - a wooden coaster that was quite rough and painful, and also had numerous issues with the lap bars not being entirely secure. Thankfully they refitted the ride into Twisted Timers, which is awesome.

Also, some rides which I can be talked into riding... sometimes:

• Flying Eagles - one of these. It's a kids' ride, but the cars being suspended by just a few thin steel cables is pretty terrifying, considering how fast it goes.
  • Shenandoah Lumber Company - a cute name for the log flume. I'm not a fan of log flumes in general because there's nothing to hold onto except wet bars on the side of the "car".
  • The Grizzly - an absolutely terrifying old-rear end wooden coaster. It's fast and rickety and rough. It feels like the train gets some air on certain elements! Also, watching the trains go through the ride from the station... the wooden supports shake and wobble.

I typically do not ride any carnival/fair rides but I have in the past.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Boxman posted:

The article's photo of the ride's former location being a picture of a steel coaster railing pointed straight at the ground is very funny. "And if you thought the rapids thing was dangerous, wait'll you see what they replaced it with!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Dells goon here. Don't go to Mount Olympus. Ever. The big cool wooden roller coaster hasn't been maintain in years. You'll leave it owing your chiropractor your first born.