Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Defunctland is a youtube series by a guy maybe named Kevin Perjurer (or Brad Pitt?). He does everything from a nearly 2 hour long video on how fastpass works (and doesn't), a breakdown of the history of some of the best rides like 20,000 leagues under the sea or jaws.

Let us sing his praises, or drat him for something. Either way, what's your favorite episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
His series on Jim Henson/Muppets was really good. It helps you to really understand how amazing that poo poo was and how it worked so well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Fastpass video is my fave, you learn pretty much everything you need to know about how lines (queues for the British) work.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I like a lot of his videos, but he's such an arrogant guy that its hard to really enjoy them

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The eurodisney clip with mike eisner attempting to speak french is the greatest thing ever defunctland introduced me to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFE8RlKlLCE&t=13s

everything that dude did was a complete disaster

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
His latest, on the former Garfield Ride/Old Mill at Kennywood is pretty good:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KK3Yr80lPOY

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I went down a rabbithole of watching all his content and a bunch of unrelated stuff about rollercoaster accidents during the first covid lockdown and have no regrets

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Fastpass and Garfield are excellent but we need more roasting of Michael Eisner

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

His series on Jim Henson/Muppets was really good. It helps you to really understand how amazing that poo poo was and how it worked so well.

Love love loved it, cried like a bitch at the funeral material. Jim Henson was a one of a kind and I love all his creations.

One of my favorite rando Defunctlands was the one about GEORGE FERRIS' WHEEL, the history of the World's Fair is really great and interesting, love that era of spectacle for sale, and the sorts of things considered to be innovative and worth going to see and do, and the little wink at the end to another big creator was cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsJu0XA429A

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Fastpass video is a much watch for any theme park fan. Any type of “skip the line” system is only detrimental to the theme park experience.

If you like Defunctland I also recommend Yesterworld Entertainment for similar content.

Midway to Main Street and Offhand Disney are good for random off the wall topics.

Theme Park Crazy and ElToroRyan are great if you’re an extreme coaster nerd.

Honorable mention: Expedition Theme Park - similar to Defunctland and Yesterworld but the guy’s delivery is grating to me.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I kinda feel like the Universal park fastpass version works ok but that could just be my bias.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Elendil004 posted:

I kinda feel like the Universal park fastpass version works ok but that could just be my bias.

It's expensive but it's literally a front of the line pass. No scheduling, virtually no waiting in a queue.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://youtu.be/UqUHXBs2VeA

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

The Fastpass and Halyx videos are permanent residents of my "playing in the background basically every evening because I'm a crazy person who can only focus while hours-long youtube videos that I've watched dozens of times before are playing in the background" collection, together with, like, Jon Bois documentaries and some of the better hbomb videos. A place of honour. It's good poo poo. I don't see people talking about the Halyx one that often - it's in a slightly different style but it's real, real good.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Elendil004 posted:

The problem with it is - the more crowded the park is > the more people buy it > the more it impacts the standby lines so even more people buy it > now even the Express lines are long and you paid 100's of dollars for it. The positive it has over Disney is that if you have it you don't have to schedule anything and you get all or most of the rides once or unlimited.

Disney's Fastpass, well, the Defunctland video on it covers this in insane depth, but you basically have to use it to experience as much as you would if it didn't exist. But, at least it was free. Then you had to do it in advance. Now you have to pay for it and start at 7:00 AM. It's insanely cheap compared to Universal's Express pass, but this is also a problem because it means too many people use it. The more people using it > the more it artificially inflates the standby lines > the more you need it. But then you might buy it and have nothing good available to use it on. It's total garbage.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Universal i know only sells a certain amount, they cut them off at a certain number so those lines can only ever get so long.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Thanks to Defunctland's deep dives into Disney attractions, I have a lot of respect for the Imagineers as artists. They did some impressive tricks with sight lines and practical effects. Adventure Thru Inner Space is my favorite example of this technical skill, but also how reality forced this heady concept to compromise. The post-ride area has these cute little animated scenes advertising the manufacturer of Agent Orange, because the ride needed a sponsor.

It's hard, trying to reconcile these incredible artists and architects with the fact they work for a company so morally gross as Disney. Presenting that dichotomy so unflinchingly is to Defunctland's credit.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

CoasterMaster posted:

His latest, on the former Garfield Ride/Old Mill at Kennywood is pretty good:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KK3Yr80lPOY

Can love bloom on the Garfield ride?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cockashocka posted:

Yes :blush:

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Who would have thought that a two hour video about theme park lines could be entertaining and somehow contain a plot twist? :kiss:

Handwich is also some top tier Defunctland.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Don't sleep on the video about EPCOT. It was a completely nuts idea and I had never heard any of it and just assumed the EPCOT Center was the only thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It good.

I liked some of Defunct TV, but one of my favorite bits was where he interviewed the puppeteer of Bear in the Big Blue House who explained the mechanics of how Bear works and how it became basically the most functional full-body muppet without having any kind of opening for his eyes to look out of after they put a camera in Bear's eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Er1KOtJvjg

Cockashocka posted:

A couple steps past the blooming stage.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Thanks to Defunctland's deep dives into Disney attractions, I have a lot of respect for the Imagineers as artists. They did some impressive tricks with sight lines and practical effects. Adventure Thru Inner Space is my favorite example of this technical skill, but also how reality forced this heady concept to compromise. The post-ride area has these cute little animated scenes advertising the manufacturer of Agent Orange, because the ride needed a sponsor.

It's hard, trying to reconcile these incredible artists and architects with the fact they work for a company so morally gross as Disney. Presenting that dichotomy so unflinchingly is to Defunctland's credit.

The lengthy interview with Terri Hardin is one of the reasons I listen to podcasts. Amazing stories from someone I wouldn’t have ever considered and was way too humble about her influence.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I haven't really gone through the podcasts yet, but I recently found the channel and went through the series chronologically and it was fascinating.

As others mentioned, I broke down in tears at the end of the Jim Henson series, and the Fastpass video was way more enthralling than a video about queuing had any right to be. Also the journey through season 3 was amazing, especially once you realize what the common theme between all the videos is.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Fastpass one has driven me slightly insane because now I want to know if lines are a solvable problem. If you had Disney World as it exists today, but every guest on a typical mid-volume day agreed to do exactly what you told them with precise accuracy, how many rides could you get everyone on? How long would the wait times be? What, in other words, is the efficiency ceiling?

I don't even know what disciplines you'd need to even start to work on the problem, but it fascinates me. It's like a TAS for speedrunning -- step one is finding out what theoretical perfect performance even looks like, and until that gets done, everything is just going to be blundering in the dark.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

The Fastpass one has driven me slightly insane because now I want to know if lines are a solvable problem. If you had Disney World as it exists today, but every guest on a typical mid-volume day agreed to do exactly what you told them with precise accuracy, how many rides could you get everyone on? How long would the wait times be? What, in other words, is the efficiency ceiling?

I don't even know what disciplines you'd need to even start to work on the problem, but it fascinates me. It's like a TAS for speedrunning -- step one is finding out what theoretical perfect performance even looks like, and until that gets done, everything is just going to be blundering in the dark.

You could probably start to take a stab by taking the Shapeland simulation and instead of having the guests choose things randomly, program some logic to force them to ride whatever you want them to ride.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CoasterMaster posted:

You could probably start to take a stab by taking the Shapeland simulation and instead of having the guests choose things randomly, program some logic to force them to ride whatever you want them to ride.
Shapeland is too naive in some respects -- there's no walking time and the guests teleport back to the central hub after every ride -- and too specific in others -- for a first step perfect automaton simulation, I don't care about guest preference, I just want to know what the absolute maximum efficiency that can be reached is if nobody cares about what specifically they do, just so long as the maximum amount of guests gets to experience the maximum amount of rides and attractions with minimum wait times.

That repo name is somewhat ironic, because there's a company called Touring Plans that does some of what I want. Give them a list of what park you'll be in and what you want to do, and they'll give you a plan designed to minimize both your wait time and walking time. I'd love to see their algorithms. But their plans necessarily assume that they can't do anything to influence the wait times -- because they can't -- so they just have you surfing on the already existing waves. Also each plan exists independently of all the others, and all they've got to go on is data scraped from Disney's public-facing APIs and the trends they've extrapolated from it. Disney itself must have much more granular and exact data.

Give me Disney's data, Touring Plans' developers, and... I still wouldn't know where to frigging start with this problem, but it's got to be someone's job, right? There's no way theme parks don't invest in crowd flow efficiency. Right? It's got to be something that somebody at least knows how to teach as a problem.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When you work popular attractions in Orlando, often you'll be working a private event where a company rented out the park or a section of the park. Sometimes these events are pretty crowded. They of course don't run Fastpass/Express pass during these things, so what that means is we would get to see how long a full queue actually takes without a second line artificially inflating it.

A few examples:
Tower of Terror - full queue = 30 minutes
Expedition Everest - full queue = 20 minutes
Incredible Hulk Coaster - full queue = 25 minutes

Mind you that all of these full queues would be an hour or more with regular Fastpass/Express pass flow, and 75-90 minutes with heavy Fastpass/Express pass flow. Most attractions in Orlando are designed to be high capacity and operated at high efficiency. Any form of "skip the line" pass fucks it all up. Making everyone wait through one line always will be the best solution to long lines, but Disney uses Fastpass/Genie+ to compensate for not increasing park capacity and offerings to match the increased attendance (which they now also profit off of), and Universal and other parks can't make extra profit by charging you for admission twice.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My anecdotal experience lines up quite a bit with the video. I went to Disneyland entirely too many times as a kid, pre fastpass, and just started to get accustomed to 1.5-2.5 hour lines for the major rides in summer. Then I couldn't go for a long time, came back when fastpasses were in their prime and was happily surprised how much shorter lines were even though I never showed up early enough to actually participate in the system. But by a couple years before the pandemic, it started to get bad again, as bad as the old times, maybe worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dude has been quiet for a while now. Are we between “seasons” at the moment?