Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

At Universal Studios, E.T. is a beloved classic that doesn't exist in Hollywood anymore, and the version of The Mummy that's there is significantly better than the west coast version. Men in Black is also unique. I don't know if the Jason Bourne stunt show is running in a post-pandemic world (I assume so?) but it also got high praise.

Over at Islands of Advnture, enjoy jurassic park river adventure - the hollywood one was converted to Jurassic World featuring Chris Pratt and that one raptor and that big dino that isn't the t-rex. It got better after a pandemic-downtime revision, but it's still very much worse than the one in Florida.

Velocicoaster and Hagrid's coaster also get top marks.

If you really give a poo poo about Harry Potter, know that you can't ride the Hogwarts Express unless you have the park-to-park/park hopper add on. the show is different depending which direction you're going.

Volcano Bay is fine, I understand? I've never been. I think they've stopped electrocuting and paralyzing people, so that's good.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Roth posted:

This is probably the thing that will get me to go back. I haven't been since before the Harry Potter poo poo got added.

If you're looking for reasons to go in the meantime, The Secret Life of Pets is incredibly good, and I say that as someone who didn't see any of the movies. A fun, creative queue, a fuckton of animatronics in the ride, screens and tech that are creatively integrated into the entire thing. Even the rest of the area is extremely cute, with lots of little gags strewn about. If it had opened at a Disney park - or even Universal Florida - rather than at the Universal that's an afterthought for most people, the theme park community would have absolutely lost its poo poo.

I'm very curious how USH is going to deal with Super Nintendo World. It didn't strike me as a park that has a surplus of real estate, or even things to do. Like, there are lots of narrow paths and choke points that could get really ugly when literally everyone is going to one place. The fact that it's on the lower lot is even worse; those escalators are going to be awful.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Mnoba posted:

is tis the harry potter stuff any good?

Even setting theming aside, Forbidden Journey is an absolute banger of a ride.

Andy's right though; so much of what Disney did with Galaxy's Edge is obviously influenced by the success of the Harry Potter areas. Making shopping an experience (at Universal, it's Ollivander's, at Disney, its the Lightsaber build), trying to make a drink that everyone wants (butterbeer/alien milk).

It's worth noting that Wizarding World succeeds at these, too. Ollivander's is a really fun show, and you don't have to buy anything, and butterbeer tastes good.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Pandora, Springfield, Avengers Campus, and Super Nintendo World are all also built in the Wizarding World full immersion style.

That is also a complete list of all the major theme park lands built since Hogsmeade opened, save only Diagon Alley, which is also obviously done in the Wizarding World style too. It's the new standard.

Yeah, I was also thinking of the specific pattern of making food and shopping much more than an afterthought, which, now that I think about it, applies to some degree for those as well. Pandora had banshee adoption and those creepy look-alike avatar action figures. Springfield has Duff beer and the donuts. Avengers has the web slinger attachments and I guess Pym's kitchen? Super Nintendo World has those power up bands, although those are a new twist on the "buy more to have more fun," in that they actually give you something to do.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 3, 2022