Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

On November 30, 2022 the people that made Vermintide and Vermintide 2 (Fatshark) will release Warhammer 40K: Darktide. It's a 4-player co-op game where you're fighting through hordes of enemies in first-person. The two biggest differences from Vermintide is the comparative emphasis on ranged combat and the addition of a recharging shield for the character based on "cohesion" with teammates. The levels also change what objectives they have, in contrast to Vermintide.

https://i.imgur.com/XdiPLmc.mp4

Here's some videos to give you an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBoZkeoook
PC Gamer released a video in mid June with some gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axpYCAHxQU
Here's another video of someone playing the game a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfDs3grfPzE
An overview of the game with a lot of useful info on the systems, with dev notes.

For those unaware, Fatshark has a tendency to release games with lots of bugs and take a while to patch them properly so we'll see how it goes but they might be trying to buck that reputation because they pushed back the release date from mid-September to late November and are going through a playtest that's supposedly starting soon. You can sign up for that playtest by clicking this link.

There are several classes, and we know there will be two characters of each class, except the Ogryn. I believe it's confirmed there's no mechanical difference between the characters so you can pick whichever one has more fun dialog lines without worrying. It's not confirmed if there will be subclasses like in VT2, but that's probably a safe bet.

Veteran- an Imperial Guardsman designed to be ranged focused and precise, who can take out specials and play a little ahead of the group

Zealot- Melee focused character that can apparently draw aggro from enemies and has a dash

Ogryn- bulky fellow who can act as a zoner, pushing enemies around and controlling the battlefield a bit

Psyker- Magician, great at taking out heavily armored enemies.

I don't think we have much info on the different specials so I'll hold off on adding them till we get a good idea of all of them, but if I'm wrong let me know and I'll add it.

This post will grow with additional information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Useful links:

A Discord to organize games

Discendo Vox posted:

The Co-op Goons server has now set up roles and channels for those looking for Darktide groups, either during this test period or for full release. Invite link is here, be aware that we're using the Goon Hosted Authentication User Service (GOONHAUS) for account verification.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 13, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I basically cried at the delay announcement on Friday. :qq: This game is never coming out it feels like, but I really hope it isn't delayed further and is awesome. Very excited for Dark Tide.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
more like darkturd

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
My gamepass for a dollar sub is gonna run out before it drops thanks to the delay
:qq:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wanna smash some Skulls in with me big Ogryn Fists.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I wonder how exotic/heavy they'll get with the firearms, since 40k obviously has a far greater pool of guns to pull from.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Also hoping one of the Zealot's trees lets her do some kinds of Acts of Faith.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I want a melta. Gimme a melta.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Tokubetsu posted:

My gamepass for a dollar sub is gonna run out before it drops thanks to the delay

Same here, promissed myself not to buy it at launch since VT2's shitshow. Hopefully I'll get to do some closed beta while I wait for reviews.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Vortex grenades for all

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Give my Ogryn a Bullgryn shield and a power maul, or whatever that stubber/cannon variant they get is called (something daft like a "6-20"?) and I'll be just fine

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

I want a melta. Gimme a melta.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I just want a lasgun and a button to praise the emperor

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Left 4 TK

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Exterminatus call in button

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Tokubetsu posted:

Passburger posted:

Same here, promissed myself not to buy it at launch since VT2's shitshow. Hopefully I'll get to do some closed beta while I wait for reviews.

When your dollar gamepass runs out just resub for a dollar. If you're willing to actually put the effort in to do that you can do it indefinitely*

*so far

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is it going to have equipment similar to Vermintide 2 or totally different?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Node posted:

Is it going to have equipment similar to Vermintide 2 or totally different?

Heavier emphasis on ranged combat but this is still warhammer so melee is king. As far as equipment goes I don't think we've really seen the equivalent of potions yet but it's a safe bet you'll have various grenade types in place of bombs. Probably frags and either a krak or melta grenade for armor piercing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

oh can’t wait to play some snorehammer fartyK dorktide lmao gottem

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
very excited to see which character will be the new elf

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I dropped out of Vermintide 2 after a year or so and I would love to see a retrospective on whether or not they finally made it a consistently good game because from what people said depending on patches, mini-expansions and weird endgame modes it constantly swung between being fun as hell and tedious bore.

I'm a sucker for WH40K though and had good times with goons before I stopped playing so I really hope they nail it from early on this time.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm hype for this but think it looks a bit more generic than vermintide since it's much more of an fps now and there's a lotta zombie shooting it seems

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NeurosisHead posted:

Well it sounds like the Zealot is voiced by Alix Wilton Regan, but I imagine the Veteran's focus on ranged weaponry will make them the new Elf.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Excited to play as an Ogryn

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I really want to see how each class plays. Immediate attractors are the Zealot and Psyker, but I'll give them all a go. Personality could very well win me over, as well as how the creator works with the history choices and all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mayflahs

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm hype for this but think it looks a bit more generic than vermintide since it's much more of an fps now and there's a lotta zombie shooting it seems

Hopefully with them focusing completely on Nurgle Cultists this time around they'll dig a bit deeper into some of the more odd critters that lurk under his banner

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

NeurosisHead posted:

In terms of being an insufferable shithead? Probably the psyker, from what I've seen. Can't wait for everyone to constantly dunk on them.

Disclaimer: I enjoy every voice line from Kerellian*

except for the loving Hogger's Bridge line, of course

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
i am not sure whether i want to take advantage of the extremely cool and good game pass deal

or just accept that I will play this on and off for years and buy it full price

as long as i can get a power sword i suppose it doesn't matter

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Is this the elf if daddy Bezos had his hand on the development of vt2?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am very excited for this game and hope it isn't a train wreck on release

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Why are they zombies? Shouldn't they be tyranids?

Or orks? Or flip the script and you're and ork and the bad guys are the Imperial guard?

Why aren't they using the in-universe races that actually fight by overwhelming the enemy? Fuckin' zombies sheesh.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Why are they zombies? Shouldn't they be tyranids?

Or orks? Or flip the script and you're and ork and the bad guys are the Imperial guard?

Why aren't they using the in-universe races that actually fight by overwhelming the enemy? Fuckin' zombies sheesh.

You are in a hive city, if you had orcs there the planet would be properly hosed already. So you have two choices, daemon cultist or gene stealers

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pierson posted:

I dropped out of Vermintide 2 after a year or so and I would love to see a retrospective on whether or not they finally made it a consistently good game because from what people said depending on patches, mini-expansions and weird endgame modes it constantly swung between being fun as hell and tedious bore.

I'm a sucker for WH40K though and had good times with goons before I stopped playing so I really hope they nail it from early on this time.

If you haven't tried V2's new-ish Chaos Waste mode, I strongly recommend it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I know absolutely nothing about Warhammer but enjoyed punching rats with big hammers in the two Vermintide games which I discovered just a few months ago. Shame there don't seem to be rats here (maybe they don't exist in 40k I have no idea) but look forward to checking out this game too.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You are in a hive city, if you had orcs there the planet would be properly hosed already. So you have two choices, daemon cultist or gene stealers

Yeah. But the point still sticks. Zombies are wack even if they're nurgle bros.

An orc horde vermintide where you're an orc would be fun. But 40k is too grimdark for fun. I get it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont mind the main enemies being cultists. I just wish that we got some Tzeentch or Slaanesh love. Let Vermintide have Nurgle, I want to fight some pink horrors and flying laser birds.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They wanted to keep melee an important component of the game, but the range of enemies that ordinary humans can fight in melee on even terms is pretty small in 40k.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

An orc horde vermintide where you're an orc would be fun. But 40k is too grimdark for fun. I get it.

40k can be pretty goofy and fun when it isn't going up its own rear end about Space Marines. You're right, though; It probably would have given them a lot more room to do something different if you were playing as a squad of Ork nobs. That said it's also a shitload of dev time for them to make a bunch of different factions to play against so it's not like playing as an Ork makes all the other factions instantly modeled and programmed.

Hopefully there are more enemy types in the game than just traitor guardsmen, plague zombies, and a few specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wonder if the reason they're not doing 'nids is because you'll be fighting them in Space Marine 2.