Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Barely a game into the EFL season and the EFL cup is with us already, although it's fairly safe to say that none of the teams playing in the first round are going to go and win the thing.

Liverpool are the current holders halting a run of four straight titles for Pep Guardiola's Manchester City side, truly his greatest achievement as a club manager.

As is traditional this years competition features all 92 members of the Premier League and Football League, with the first round featuring all the sides from League One & Two along with all of the Championship except Burnley and Watford who were the least poo poo of the lot last year.

The first round is broken into two halves based on the geographic location of the teams, so now you don't need to feel guilty at calling Derby County dirty northern bastards and Cardiff City fans a bunch of southern softies. Ties are being played over 4 game days - with a solitary tie tonight and the rest being played next week. Presumably it's open day at Cambridge University next week.

Only two ties are on Sky Sports, Bradford v Hull and a repeat of last years League One playoff semi-final, Sheffield Wednesday v Sunderland, but other countries might be lucky enough to have Blackpool v Barrow on air

Southern Section
2 August
Cambridge United v Millwall

9 August
AFC Wimbledon v Gillingham
Cardiff City v Portsmouth
Charlton Athletic v Queens Park Rangers
Cheltenham Town v Exeter City
Crawley Town v Bristol Rovers
Forest Green Rovers v Leyton Orient
Ipswich Town v Colchester United
Luton Town v Newport County
Milton Keynes Dons v Sutton United
Northampton Town v Wycombe Wanderers
Norwich City v Birmingham City
Oxford United v Swansea City
Reading v Stevenage
Walsall v Swindon Town

10 August
Coventry City v Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle v Peterborough United

Northern Section
9 August
Accrington Stanley v Tranmere Rovers
Blackpool v Barrow
Bolton Wanderers v Salford City
Bradford City v Hull City (Live on Sky Sports Football)
Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City
Fleetwood Town v Wigan Athletic
Grimsby Town v Crewe Alexandra
Harrogate Town v Stockport County
Huddersfield Town v Preston North End
Mansfield Town v Derby County
Morecambe v Stoke City
Rochdale v Burton Albion
Shrewsbury Town v Carlisle United

10 August
Blackburn Rovers v Hartlepool United
Middlesbrough v Barnsley
Port Vale v Rotherham United
Sheffield Wednesday v Sunderland (Live on Sky Sports Football)
West Bromwich Albion v Sheffield United

JingleBells fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
We all love the fizzy drink cup. Looking forward to charlie cresswell continuing his push to break Steve Bruce's record for defender goals

5 years of sponsorship and I have still not bought a refreshing can of carabao

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Round 2 has snuck up on us already! Teams you might actually have seen on the TV are playing today too:

Tuesday
Sheffield Wednesday v Rochdale
Shrewsbury Town v Burnley
Barrow v Lincoln City
Bolton Wanderers v Aston Villa (Live on Sky Sports)
Bradford City v Blackburn Rovers
Derby County v West Bromwich Albion
Fleetwood Town v Everton
Grimsby Town v Nottingham Forest
Rotherham United v Morecambe
Stockport County v Leicester City
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Preston North End
Walsall v Charlton Athletic
Cambridge United v Southampton
Colchester United v Brentford
Crawley Town v Fulham
Gillingham v Exeter City
Newport County v Portsmouth
Norwich City v AFC Bournemouth
Oxford United v Crystal Palace
Stevenage v Peterborough United
Watford v Milton Keynes Dons

Wednesday
Leeds United v Barnsley
Tranmere Rovers v Newcastle United (Live on Sky Sports)
Forest Green Rovers v Brighton & Hove Albion
Wycombe Wanderers v Bristol City

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
loving hate playing Barnsley, every trip to Elland Road is their cup final. Strong rumblings that Gerrard could be in hot water if Villa poo poo the bed against Bolton tonight

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

loving hate playing Barnsley, every trip to Elland Road is their cup final. Strong rumblings that Gerrard could be in hot water if Villa poo poo the bed against Bolton tonight

Bolton :allears:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Absolute scenes on the Wirral

Meanwhile Leeds currently having a lovely time against the dingles

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If Everton got beat 4-1 by Bournemouth last night and nobody noticed did they even lose?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arsenal-Brighton game isn’t broadcasted anywhere in the world. What’s this mickey mouse poo poo and how the heck is broadcasting money being left on the table for this.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Arsenal-Brighton game isn’t broadcasted anywhere in the world. What’s this mickey mouse poo poo and how the heck is broadcasting money being left on the table for this.

I'm listening to the audio commentary of Leeds-Wolves because we live in the 1940s apparently and it sounds like a truly dreadful experience for all involved

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Truly the worst wall I've ever seen from Chelsea allowing Mahrez to score a free kick through the gap between two defenders' heads

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
All done for another year. Stupid tournament, daft little trophy, thread gassed, ban queued

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Rottenham Shitspurts

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Farcenal

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Liverpool squeak by mighty Derby

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 9, 2022

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
2 easy.

That last Kelleher save was marvellous.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
kalvin phillips... lives???

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I enjoyed Firminho's Yaya penalty

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
what the gently caress is happening lmao

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
sick

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

send ashley young to the world cup

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
it's also sick that apparently ESPN+ is the only source for live video of the Energy Drink Cup

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
jesus lmao

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Football, bloody hell

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Two bad teams, this

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

two bad teams in the best way

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

lol Garnacho literally forcing Young off the pitch

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
holy poo poo lmao

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lol, what a game

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

What a ball from Garnacho

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

holy shitballs what a sublime pass

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

What a ball from Garnacho

TheRat posted:

holy shitballs what a sublime pass

Garnacho's fuckin arrived lads

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://dubz.co/v/xsm3g9 look at that beauty

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Not to overreact or anything but Garnacho is basically Messi

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
A garnacho or a scholes

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
lmao of course, city/liverpool in the round of 16

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

:discourse:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The League Cup is BACK BABY with five FA Carling Barclaycard Barclays Premier League teams in action today.

All matches kickoff at 19:45 (2:45pm EST) and they're all "televised" in the US on ESPN+

Edit: The big upset watch is probably Gillingham, currently playing in League 2, beating Wolves who have been utterly terrible in the Prem all season.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 20, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Which game is likely to be most fun and competitive? Or just a good game to watch as my first ever English football match to watch?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

blue squares posted:

Which game is likely to be most fun and competitive? Or just a good game to watch as my first ever English football match to watch?

Newcastle v Bournemouth is your narrative game - Newcastle's manager Eddie Howe left Bournemouth to take the offer of a big budget and iirc it's his first game back since he left so should be something like an atmosphere if any Bournemouth fans bothered travelling 300 odd miles on a schoolnight. Also Newcastle are a decent watch at the moment

As above Gillingham might beat wolves which would be a sizable upset. City-Liverpool on thurs will be masterclass of 'definitely playing just enough senior players in this mickey mouse trophy to not get fined'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

City-Liverpool on thurs will be masterclass of 'definitely playing just enough senior players in this mickey mouse trophy to not get fined'

This is also something to note for those posters who aren't familiar with the League Cup/EFL Cup/Carabao Cup (for sponsorship purposes).

This competition is the third most important English competition, or the fourth most important competition if your team is in Europe. League(whatever league you're in), FA Cup, and the League Cup/Carabao Cup/EFL Cup.

Because of its relative lack of importance relative to the League and FA Cup, bigger teams routinely field weakened sides in the cup. Most of your usual starting XI won't play, and in some cases won't even make the bench for the earlier stages of the competition.