Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
R-Type is the series that I want to enjoy the most but don't. The shmup community refers to them as a classic example of a "memorizer" that will kill you quick with unexpected enemies, tricky terrain, shots from behind etc. All shmups rely on memorization of levels to progress, but moreso with R-Type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

bare bottom pancakes posted:

There's a lot of merit in looking for easier games, but my recommendation is just to play a game you like a little too much.

I have no idea how many hours I put into the game anymore, but I made it to stage 2-3 of DoDonPachi DaiOuJou White Label a few years ago and I'd love to get back to that point sometime!

I think while it can be helpful to play easier games if you're not sure the genre is for you, the best thing I feel is to play a wide variety of what's available, so that you get a good idea of the breadth of genre and you can better get an idea of which aspects are appealing specifically to you. Popular games are popular for good reason, but what sticks with you is going to be unique to you and may not match up with the majority.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

There's a lot of merit in looking for easier games, but my recommendation is just to play a game you like a little too much.

I have no idea how many hours I put into the game anymore, but I made it to stage 2-3 of DoDonPachi DaiOuJou White Label a few years ago and I'd love to get back to that point sometime!

I agree, play a bunch of games and find the one that clicks with you. You're more likely to stick with it and if you do end up clearing it your skills will have leveled up a poo poo ton as opposed to just crossing off a bunch of free blind clears.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

beer gas canister posted:

R-Type is the series that I want to enjoy the most but don't. The shmup community refers to them as a classic example of a "memorizer" that will kill you quick with unexpected enemies, tricky terrain, shots from behind etc. All shmups rely on memorization of levels to progress, but moreso with R-Type.

the funniest thing I remember being said on the system11 forums was something like "even if you hate it, you have to admit that rtype is the best shmup"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i love shmups! jamestown is a good game

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lords of thunder is great too. it was on the wii VC but i think emulation is the only way to play it these days

i got into shmups because i got really really good at paperboy for the nes in college

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
When I beat Super R Type on the SNES, my mother and I cried all night. We packed everything I could carry. The next morning, I had to leave my home because I was no longer a boy.

Joking aside, Kenta Cho's (free) Torus Trooper, and SHMUPS in general were a shortcut to a zen like state for me that's hard to find in the wild. That feeling of looking past the bullets and thinking in the periphery about survival awakens something primal.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

piL posted:

When I beat Super R Type on the SNES, my mother and I cried all night. We packed everything I could carry. The next morning, I had to leave my home because I was no longer a boy.

Joking aside, Kenta Cho's (free) Torus Trooper, and SHMUPS in general were a shortcut to a zen like state for me that's hard to find in the wild. That feeling of looking past the bullets and thinking in the periphery about survival awakens something primal.

Kenta Cho's games own

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I first got into shmups last year, but there's something incredibly calming about them that I love. Putting on a podcast and doing a few runs will zone me right out.

It's also one of the genres of which the easier titles or settings go great with :catdrugs: Danmaku Unlimited 3 is loving great for this.

I've recently been playing a lot of Zero Gunner 2, and found it to be very accessible once you get the controls down. I managed a 1cc on Easy, and am close to getting it on Normal.

What I like about both are the stylized 3D graphics. There's something deeply nostalgic to me about seeing these games use every fancy trick in the book of early 2000s hardware to make a spectacle. Don't get me wrong - I love pixelart. But nostalgia is a strange beast.

Are there any other shooters in that Dreamcast/arcade-style for Switch? I tried the Raiden games, and loved 4 but didn't like 5 as much because of how cluttered it could get. Pink bosses shooting pink bullets on a pink background is... hard to read. Sine Mora EX was fun, though it definitely has some rough edges. I've yet to try R-type Final 2, mainly because I loved the atmosphere of R-Type Dimensions EX but didn't like how much of the stages were dependent on memorization rather than flow.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Are there any other shooters in that Dreamcast/arcade-style for Switch?

Sky Force Reloaded might be good

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Vadun posted:

Sky Force Reloaded might be good

I played this a lot in the early days of the switch when not much was available. It's ok, and was fairly cheap. Feels a little mobile gamey at times.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Rolling Gunner, Ikaruga and Psyvariar Delta all have chunky 3D graphics. People have raved about Rolling Gunner since release, I think some ex-CAVE staff worked on it or something. The two Darius collections might do it for you too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rolling Gunner's not 3D, it's 2D and looks like a bunch of photoshop layers sliding over the top of each other. Still, good game.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Monolith is my big favorite, it's one of the most stylish games of all time and the difficulty is well balanced despite being a roguelite with a huge number of potential weapon/perk upgrades

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yeah ultimately the ideal is to find something that just clicks so you keep on playing. As for DDP DOJ, that should be pretty doable! I feel like once you get a feel for things, (the 5 stage) Cave games are actually pretty accessible through stage 3 before ramping things up significantly in both 4 and 5.

Rolling Gunner, Ikaruga and Psyvariar Delta all have chunky 3D graphics. People have raved about Rolling Gunner since release, I think some ex-CAVE staff worked on it or something. The two Darius collections might do it for you too.
For 3D I'm not sure there's anything in the console and arcade Darius collections iirc, but G-Darius and Dariusburst fit the bill and are sold separately in the US (I think in a collection in Japan?). They're on sale at the moment too! Course the annoying bit with those two is that they're only in 4:3 or 32:9, no remastered 16:9 mode or anything in either...even though the latter has a full on 16:9 console optimized version in every other home release :argh:

Another 3D one would be Sisters Royale by Alfa System Works, which is actually their first shooter since Castle of Shikigami III on Dreamcast :v:

Oh forgot about Deathsmiles II, technically came out later but ooh boy it certainly looks like rough 3D. It has a maligned rep but I didn't mind playing it.

One or two of the new Cotton games is 3D I think (Reboot and Rock n Roll?) and they seem to be decent fun.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

japtor posted:

Yeah ultimately the ideal is to find something that just clicks so you keep on playing. As for DDP DOJ, that should be pretty doable! I feel like once you get a feel for things, (the 5 stage) Cave games are actually pretty accessible through stage 3 before ramping things up significantly in both 4 and 5.

Once I dropped all pretense of scoring for stage 5 it mostly came down to good old fashioned u-shaped bullet herding; that goes for most Cave games in my experience. I should really just practice the loop in Black Label, the "one mistake and it's over" for stage 2-1 makes practicing anything harder than it should be.

All this Darius talk is making me want to get my PS2 out, Gaiden and G-Darius are some of my absolute favorites to credit feed!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, Rock'n'Roll (or Cotton Fantasy as it's called outside of Japan) has polygon graphics and does look kinda Dreamcast-y, now that you mention it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I dont know how the port is, but Ikaruga is on the switch and was, by itself, an entire reason to buy a Dreamcast. Ikaruga is a good SHMUP with a strong fundamental hook.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Ikaruga is an odd bird. It's so different from everything else in terms of level design and priorities that I get my rear end beat anytime I return to it from a different game. Aesthetically I think it's in a class of its own but I don't have as much fun playing the thing compared to a more traditional bullet hell. It'll probably just a minute to click. Also the easy mode seems harder?? since there aren't enough bullets to consistently charge lock shots. The port plays perfectly well and has a lot of options including tate

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

It's probably this thread's fault I bought Crimzon Clover on Steam. I just finally got to Stage 4 on Novice. It's so good...

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, Rock'n'Roll (or Cotton Fantasy as it's called outside of Japan) has polygon graphics and does look kinda Dreamcast-y, now that you mention it.

I keep forgetting about the Cotton releases. Reboot is great and that game’s soundtrack is among the best in my opinion.

The Switch’s shmup library really blew up this past year and it’s simply amazing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ikaruga is an odd bird. It's so different from everything else in terms of level design and priorities that I get my rear end beat anytime I return to it from a different game. Aesthetically I think it's in a class of its own but I don't have as much fun playing the thing compared to a more traditional bullet hell. It'll probably just a minute to click. Also the easy mode seems harder?? since there aren't enough bullets to consistently charge lock shots. The port plays perfectly well and has a lot of options including tate

Ikaruga I was very excited about when I first played it, but the longer I got into it the less I liked it. It didn't give me the same feeling as I get from other shmups I enjoy, it felt more like I was solving a puzzle with zero agency on how to solve it. Whereas with other shmups learning patterns I feel like I'm the one blazing a trail, with Ikaruga I felt more like I was trying trying to figure out what the developer's intended path was.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

shmups are the coolest and my favorites are Radiant Silvergun, ZeroRanger, and Cambria Sword. Lately I've been playing a lot of Mars Matrix and Zanac Neo.

edit
also here’s another thread for me to yell about how if Microsoft really cared about Xbox in Japan, they would’ve worked more 360 shmups into backwards compatibility. :colbert:

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 6, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

p sure if microsoft cared about the japanese gaming market it would've acquired a few visual novel/dating sim houses

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWTFdsGlfxs

drat that owns

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

R-type meets Darius meets a bit of bullet hell is a mood that I am absolutely here for. I need to grab that at some point.

RE: Ikaruga-chat. I still haven't 1 cc'd any shmups. I'm currently working on Esp Ra De and Blue Revolver as my first (whichever comes first), but when taking a break, I've been picking up a bit of Ikaruga. It's a nut I've tried to crack since the GameCube days. Having played deeper into more conventional shmups, I really appreciate the way Ikaruga completely fucks with my instincts. There's a real uncanny "trying to write with your off hand" feeling for the first few runs of a session that is cool.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 6, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
somebody on system11 commented that Ikaruga seems to be built around a notion of "balance" where it's important not to be overly aggressive, nor passive. coming to it from Crimzon Clover today i was getting wrecked trying to point blank everything

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It may make me seem too normie, but since I missed the 16 bit era I never got into Schmups until the Wii virtual console since the genre was mostly dead during the PS1/N64 and PS2/GCN/XB eras. So my idea of what a great Schmup is consists of Gradius 2&3, Rtype 3, The 16bit Star Soldier trilogy+Blazing Lazers, and Gley Lancer.
I didn’t really “get” Darius until Chronicle Saviors, Twin is just too brutal for a baby’s first Darius.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The Voice of Labor posted:

p sure if microsoft cared about the japanese gaming market it would've acquired a few visual novel/dating sim houses
could've at least given us Instant Brain in 4k

galagazombie posted:

Schmups
Schmup
I'm going to be that guy: there is no 'c' in 'shoot 'em up'. Shmup, please.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I am a frigth babby that has only ever 1cc'd SNES Gradius 3 (can't remember if I ever got deathless or just had a really close run) despite getting really into shmups for a couple years back in college. Nowadays I feel like I've gotten too old for the reflexes these games require. I did pick up Zero Ranger during the Steam summer sale and that's been pretty cool for the hour or so I've played.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
darius gaiden, metal black, battle garegga, blazing star, crimzon clover, 360 revolver. those are pretty cool
i spent a lot of the early year trying to get into the gradius series and i stopped with 3 cause theyre full of stupid bullshit. i hear gradius V is good but i didnt get to it. well, see ya

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

bees x1000 posted:

But if we add the "c," we can also include Cute 'Em Ups! :eng101:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bees x1000 posted:

could've at least given us Instant Brain in 4k

You mean SEUs?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I grew up with Raptor and while i really enjoy bullet hell games i have always enjoyed upgrade your poo poo games more (i.e. you shoot enemies and get money and buy better guns between levels)

After playing Crimson Clover a lot lately i think i wanna play an upgrader for a while.

Are there any good ones on switch except Jets’n’Guns/JnG2? (Not steredenn)

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Note that Crimzon Clover has an Arrange mode with a Gradius style upgrade system if you're into that. You can set it up to auto select the upgrades or do it manually

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ineptitude posted:

Are there any good ones on switch?

Pick anything from this list, it's five pages long.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Note that Crimzon Clover has an Arrange mode with a Gradius style upgrade system if you're into that. You can set it up to auto select the upgrades or do it manually

Is this new for the Switch port? That sounds awesome!

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

My 360 died, rest in peace :(
No more Mushi Futari for a while I guess, I wish it would get ported to Switch like Galuda 2.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

piL posted:

You mean SEUs?

STGs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Always wear a condom to avoid those