Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Koboje posted:

I really enjoy this one, intriguing different artstyle, gameplay is fun and I like that every fight is a boss fight. What story and atmosphere there is is charming and emotional.

Many simple but meaningful choices during each run. Many "builds" you can try to upgrade towards. If you are dominating you can choose the highest level monster each time, and if things are being a bit too tough you may be asked if you want to lower the minimum monster level, this on the fly difficulty adjustment feels neatly implemented.

Monsters can also become radically different to fight at higher levels, there can be additional hazards, obviously more/faster projectiles and attack patterns get wacky with only the slightest amount of time to react. It is fun to see monsters end up plain MEAN after fighting beating them in what is effectively low level child forms. The end of run bosses are incredibly intense on high levels and without panic bombs.

I love Shmups, but I am garbage at true bullet hell games, but with how smooth or difficult i want each run to be easily adjusted both from the getgo and in the middle of a run, I can get the exact challenge or joyride I feel up or confident for every time. With so many things to unlock and Currency needed to spend on things, it will keep you entertained and challenged for a long time.

Void Rains On Her Heart is the good stuff, a true future classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

I have been experimenting with widescreen hacks and emulators recently. A lot of SNES SHMUPs work surprisingly well. I will circle back around with a list later.

According to a guy on GameFAQs:

Archer MacLean's Dropzone
Axelay
Bio Metal
Darius Twin
Firepower 2000
Gokujou Parodius
Gradius III
HyperZone
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
Operation Logic Bomb
Parodius - Non-Sense Fantasy
Parodius da! Shinwa kara Owarai he
Phalanx - The Enforce Fighter A-144
Pocky & Rocky
Pocky & Rocky 2
R-Type III - The Third Lightning
Raiden Trad
Space Megaforce
Super Air Diver
Super Air Diver 2
Super Earth Defense Force
Super Nova
Super R-Type
Thunder Spirits
Tin Star
Wings 2 - Aces High

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Social Animal posted:

Compile shmups are comfy and perfect

:hai:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Social Animal posted:

Compile shmups are comfy and perfect for getting your feet wet with 1CCs. Highly recommend Super Aleste for SNES and if the game is too slow for you at least you can enjoy the music.

Jeez Super Aleste plays great too and is easy to read on an RG351p. The movement speed control feature that many of these old school games use is so useful for handheld play. "Comfy" is the perfect descriptor. I tried out Super R-Type on a whim too, and while it's more difficult it gave me a similar feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJVNw-zIFzo

That Mode 7 trick at the beginning of level 2 is cool as gently caress!!

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 12, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Social Animal posted:

Compile shmups are comfy and perfect for getting your feet wet with 1CCs. Highly recommend Super Aleste for SNES and if the game is too slow for you at least you can enjoy the music.

Compile shmups own and generally have in my opinion some of the greatest feeling weapons in all of shmups. I've only scratched the surface of Compile's library at this point and need to spend some more time diving deep in there!

beer gas canister posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJVNw-zIFzo

That Mode 7 trick at the beginning of level 2 is cool as gently caress!!

:hai:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

The most recommended Compile games are Blazing Lasers for PC Engine, Musha for Sega Genesis and usually Super Aleste for SNES. However their last game is Zanac Neo on the PSX and it’s pretty chill as well. Avoid Robo Aleste on the Sega CD, it has great music but it’s kind of brutal compared to their other games.

Oh yeah the Aleste Collection that came out a couple years ago for Switch/PS4 has GG Aleste 3, a brand new shmup created by M2 that captures the feel perfectly. Unfortunately you’ll need to import it or use a JP account to buy digitally.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok, I'm in Canada, just got a switch, and a bunch of good shmups. There are a handful that are apparently only available via Japan? How might I go about buying one of those?
The Aleste collection Social Animal mentioned, and I'd love to play esp ra de on the switch. I played so much of that one on my old mame machine, and have a hankering.
If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Vvv cool thank you!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 12, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Make a JP Nintendo account with a different email from your main, then buy points from a shop like Play Asia and add them to it. Then purchase with the JP account on the Switch. You can play on your main

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
As long as you're grabbing stuff on Switch, Gleylancer is pretty good and has one of the best stage 1 songs I've ever heard.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Also get a flipgrip

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yup this is its own sub genre “Euro SHMUPs”. Personally loved raptor, but these games usually had huge amounts of enemy HP and a big health bar and were less about the dodging and more about making sure you have the right equipment and load out. Tyrian had a great soundtrack too

https://shmups.wiki/library/Euroshmups

Oddly enough Jets n Guns which was meant to be a retro throwback is now older than Tyrian was when it came out

Oh this is a great term to know, i definitely like the raptor/tyrian/jng stuff

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lynx Winters posted:

As long as you're grabbing stuff on Switch, Gleylancer is pretty good and has one of the best stage 1 songs I've ever heard.

Oh hey Lynx!!

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Hey buddy, fancy seeing you here!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lynx Winters posted:

Hey buddy, fancy seeing you here!

It’s a good thread title!!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Here's my current progress with Crimzon Clover:

stage 5 mini boss, no continues used yet, 2 lives remaining. Damage is significantly greater at point blank range, and it fills the kill-everything bar
https://imgur.com/6ytogxx.mp4

final run to the stage 5 boss... 0 continues used, 0 lives remaining
https://i.imgur.com/ydw8Eq1.mp4

here we go...
https://imgur.com/uTcc9B6.mp4

:bighow: :bighow:

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Boss 5 doesn't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The only shmup i can beat is UN Squadron on the SNES, and that's probably because you get several hits before you die.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

StoryTime posted:

I'm not that much of a SHMUP player, but a while ago everyone I know who are fans were very excited about Drainius.

The gimmick is that you can hold down a guard button to absorb enemy bullets for a time, and when you let go, you unleash all the damage you absorbed back at the enemies. Seems fun and accessible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mky95Em3E-A&t=290s

Drainus is one of those foot-in-the-door games that ease you into the shmup genre. Your initial playthrough will be somewhat challenging, but far from impossible. The game throws quite a lot of lives and barriers at you because it really wants you to see everything it has to offer. If you want a bigger challenge, there are extra modes available, too. It's solid all-around and an easy recommend.

Another game worth mentioning is Eschatos. It is a step up in the difficulty department compared to Drainius. The first 60% of it is mostly easy, and then the last 40% drives the difficulty up a lot. As you replay the game, you'll find lots of interesting ways to optimize the initial areas and you will better understand how to chip away at the latter areas. On a separate note, the presentation is amazing, and the soundtrack combines with the visual in an incredibly memorable way. Check out that first boss.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just remembered Einhander, i vaguely remember that being good reviews back in the day

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I broke down, bought Ikaruga. Holy poo poo this is amazing. Never played shmups before

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Like I’m offended nobody made me consider these games before now. I’m 31 goddamnit

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

I just remembered Einhander, i vaguely remember that being good reviews back in the day

Einhander's real good.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

madmatt112 posted:

Like I’m offended nobody made me consider these games before now. I’m 31 goddamnit

Same. I'd imagine gamers born in the 90s have mostly ignored the entire genre. You should play Zero Ranger

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Same. I'd imagine gamers born in the 90s have mostly ignored the entire genre. You should play Zero Ranger

Making this my next pickup after I beat/burn ikaruga

e: oh wow the color palette looks really nice

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I could never get very far in Einhander but the OST owns. Might've been the first game soundtrack I bought

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

okay i bought DU3 because of this thread, let's see if i click with it

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

This is basically it. SHMUPs were one the central game formats in the 8 and 16-bit eras, but they faded into the background with the advent of 3D and the disappearance of arcades without ever disappearing completely. And, unlike platformers, they never had a highly-publicized indie renaissance. And when they did get attention, it was usually the most intimidating "bullet hell" types guaranteed to scare away newcomers. Maybe they're a bit too close to an imagined "dumb" past - the genre doesn't have a lot of space for critical thinking or puzzle solving, just dodge and shoot, dodge and shoot.

We're in kind of a "perfect storm" space for them now, though, since they're perfectly suited to mobile gaming and we have a steady stream of new titles and reissues.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Digital distribution is a huge factor now as well. Scuttlebutt says that the Xbox 360 was the last console to have an abundance of high budget shmup ports and new releases, including many of the now-classic 00s Cave arcade titles like Mushimesama. Most of those titles were not issued on the MS online store, so players often had to import physical versions. Now they're cheap and plentiful, and still most people have no clue that shmups of that caliber were ever made in the first place, much less that they could be played at home. I had a 360 from launch and played it well into 2014 and never heard a peep about shmups

Of course it helps that good shmups are essentially evergreen. It's isn't like going back to play Goldeneye, they are slick as hell and still look and play fantastic. And if you're like me, then there's no craving for "modern" features since you never played the classics in the first place. Low cost, plentiful high quality titles, widely available - it's a gold mine

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 13, 2022

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The bigger issue during the X360 era was that a lot of the ports were region-locked (which publishers had to specifically choose to do), so you couldn't necessarily import them even if you wanted to.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

one day I'll look at steam or a switch eshop post here and I'll find that I can finally play muchi muchi pork after 10+ years of saying hey that looks like a fun game

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

At least for Cave, it wasn't really much of an issue though—on a completely unmodded PAL X360, the only five out of fourteen (and I'm not counting DoDonPachi being included in Instant Brain here) Cave shmups on the system I could not play because of region locks were Dai-Ou-Jou, Ketsui, Deathsmiles IIX (which however was available digitally in US on Games on Demand), Mushi HD, and Daifukkatsu Black Label (the release that had Ketsuipachi Arrange). The rest either had region-free JP releases or had PAL region releases.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Anybody that's playing something at the moment should feel free to post high scores, replays, screenshots etc. One obstacle to growth that shmups face is the lack of a hot game of the moment that everyone is playing. There's a good mix of noobs and veterans in this thread so you never know who might see your stuff and offer some pro tips...

All it will take to make a modern shmup hit is to marry a quality game to solid social features, like replays automatically posted to every leaderboard entry. Neon White shows us that competitive scoring gameplay can still be a driver for many players if it's effortlessly implemented. Shmups have been doing that for like 40 years so I'm sure someone will replicate it online soon

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 13, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Unfortunately what I’m playing right now is touhou 6 which is a butt ugly indie game

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

All it will take to make a modern shmup hit is to marry a quality game to solid social features, like replays automatically posted to every leaderboard entry. Neon White shows us that competitive scoring gameplay can still be a driver for many players if it's effortlessly implemented. Shmups have been doing that for like 40 years so I'm sure someone will replicate it online soon

Lots of ports already have this feature. The problem is the game being a 20-40 minute shmup not a level based game with a story. Just look at reviews online, people will buy arcade style games, credit feed then complain it was too short and refund. I think Ginga Force and ZeroRanger are a step in the right direction though.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

shmups should cost no more than $10. yes, even weird jumbo compilations like that darius burst chronicles thing

the $10 limit will not be adjusted for inflation

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You can disagree with their rankings and they're written towards a physical collector audience, but Racketboy has lists of the complete SHMUP libraries for systems from the second through sixth generations (although the Odyssey2 one is a bit liberal in its definition of SHMUP, it's impressive that it's included at at.)

Shortcuts:

There are a few they don't have (OG NES and Game Boy, home computers like the C64 and Amiga), but it should give folks an idea of what's out there, and help cut down on option paralysis for the emulator/everdrive crew.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

After The War posted:

This is basically it. SHMUPs were one the central game formats in the 8 and 16-bit eras, but they faded into the background with the advent of 3D and the disappearance of arcades without ever disappearing completely. And, unlike platformers, they never had a highly-publicized indie renaissance. And when they did get attention, it was usually the most intimidating "bullet hell" types guaranteed to scare away newcomers. Maybe they're a bit too close to an imagined "dumb" past - the genre doesn't have a lot of space for critical thinking or puzzle solving, just dodge and shoot, dodge and shoot.

We're in kind of a "perfect storm" space for them now, though, since they're perfectly suited to mobile gaming and we have a steady stream of new titles and reissues.

Touhou I feel helped keep new fans flowing in as people found interest in the genre, whether they branched out from that specific series or not. Those and Ikaruga are the games I usually hear mentioned from people born circa the 90s as what got them into Shmups.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah it feels weird to say they never got an indie rennaissance when one of the biggest indie series ever is shmups

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Oddly I never really heard about Touhou in indie spaces in the late 2000s, even though Western indie game fans were obviously aware of and appreciated the doujin scene in general; indeed, Cave Story was probably the best known indie game at that time. There do seem to be a few good games other than Touhou in that scene; I enjoyed Hellsinker a lot, and I've heard good things about Stellavanity, Akashicverse, and the Dreamer games (although the art in those is very, uh, horny on main).

I think the roguelike renaissance might be good for shmups overall, since most hybrid roguelikes have a game structure like an arcade game. But making a shmup roguelike itself is very difficult, since the best things about a good shmup are successfully executing and conquering a part of the game that gave you trouble in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
The 00s doujin shmup revival was mostly restricted to PC, right? That was just before the western indie scene blowup enabled by digital distribution systems. Maybe doujin shmups boomed a little too soon to take full advantage of that wave.