Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

The Voice of Labor posted:

now the lumines thread until shmups get better music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx3RQWDl8R4

Gunvein has a killer ost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpYeipFZ0kQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

fear is the mind killer

There's a Megadrive version of Dune 2, so I presume it'll work just fine with an arcade stick.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Now I'm wondering if this arcade stick is any good for taiko no tatsujin.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

fear is the mind killer

ages ago
life was born
in the primitive sea

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I decided to buy myself a couple games for my birthday. First time importing games, and they cleared Canadian customs faster than anything I've ever had cross the border. 2 weeks to the day from placing the order on eBay, and they arrived! The seller even warned me it could be up to 10 business days before they would even be shipped. I'm very pleased!
Esp ra de was one of my favorites when I used to play a lot of mame, but I've never had the chance to play the Aleste games.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Hell yeh Esprade rules. Play the improved version, balance is similar to arcade with some little fixes and a new character

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Only played SMS Aleste and MUSHA so far, but can confirm that the indeed own.

EDIT - Aw, MUSHA ain't on there? Too bad.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

ESP.ra.de. is awesome, I've just bought the Aleste collection as well and it's really very good indeed.
GG Aleste 3 is absolutely quality, plays really well, fast and flashy. The other few games are fun and very Compile, but GGAleste 3 is worth it alone.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

ESP.ra.de. is awesome, I've just bought the Aleste collection as well and it's really very good indeed.
GG Aleste 3 is absolutely quality, plays really well, fast and flashy. The other few games are fun and very Compile, but GGAleste 3 is worth it alone.
Is that the one that said released in 2020 for game gear?
It's awesome that devs are still putting out new games for old systems, lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

B33rChiller posted:

Is that the one that said released in 2020 for game gear?
It's awesome that devs are still putting out new games for old systems, lol

Yeah, that's the one. M2 be crazy like that, bless their hearts.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Someone in the Dreamcast FB Group I follow has been teasing a DC port for a while now... probably just a GG emu running the ROM, though.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

There seems to be dodgy looking GBA ports of the Aleste collection knocking about so I wouldn't be surprised.

I wonder if M2 have any announcements pending

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1634860/Minishoot_Adventures/

:kimchi:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Do we consider twin stick shooters to be shmups here?
I love them, but am actually ok to good at them, so never really thought of them as shmups, lol.

I wore out 3 separate controllers playing geometry wars retro evolved. Managed a couple scores over a million.

Assault Android Cactus is probably my overall favorite twin stick.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Ginga Force is something like 90 cents on steam rn, doesnt really look like my kinda but thats very cheap if anyone is interested

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

I love them, but am actually ok to good at them, so never really thought of them as shmups, lol.

I wore out 3 separate controllers playing geometry wars retro evolved. Managed a couple scores over a million.

Assault Android Cactus fuckin rules

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This looks like it fuckin rules

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

Now I'm wondering if this arcade stick is any good for taiko no tatsujin.
I was gonna say music games can be good too...although a lot of it depends on button configuration/customization. Hell ideally you'd just play on the buttons but I forget there was a comfortable config for that in taiko. One game I have played a bunch is Muse Dash (warning: some of the art is pretty horny), iirc it's just high and low hit buttons...although I mostly play on a stickless controller (which can be had for cheap these days!).

Speaking of which, there's a stick/stickless controller thread if you look into modding or whatever:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004058

Anyway back to games with stick, I'll play whatever possible. Pretty much anything that doesn't require dual stick usage and isn't terribly weird or complex button layout wise. Like I played through Cuphead on my cab, but took a while of experimentation to get the buttons mapped in a way that felt ok and for some muscle memoization to get set. Celeste would be fine too I imagine, but felt a little weird to me cause the climb/hold button and didn't stick with it (already played through on pad and was just messing with it). I played through the Trials games (uh...motorcycle platformer?) on stick, vehicular stuff works if they're arcadey enough.

Puzzle games are great of course, although that's one place where I think the joycons are actually solid (barring wireless flakiness); Puzzle Bobble is one of my puzzle favs if Tetris doesn't work for you. Otherwise easy filter would be anything retro arcade cause the standard wiring setup was just a stick and 3 buttons outside of fighting games.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

japtor posted:

I was gonna say music games can be good too...although a lot of it depends on button configuration/customization. Hell ideally you'd just play on the buttons but I forget there was a comfortable config for that in taiko. One game I have played a bunch is Muse Dash (warning: some of the art is pretty horny), iirc it's just high and low hit buttons...although I mostly play on a stickless controller (which can be had for cheap these days!).

Speaking of which, there's a stick/stickless controller thread if you look into modding or whatever:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004058

Anyway back to games with stick, I'll play whatever possible. Pretty much anything that doesn't require dual stick usage and isn't terribly weird or complex button layout wise. Like I played through Cuphead on my cab, but took a while of experimentation to get the buttons mapped in a way that felt ok and for some muscle memoization to get set. Celeste would be fine too I imagine, but felt a little weird to me cause the climb/hold button and didn't stick with it (already played through on pad and was just messing with it). I played through the Trials games (uh...motorcycle platformer?) on stick, vehicular stuff works if they're arcadey enough.

Puzzle games are great of course, although that's one place where I think the joycons are actually solid (barring wireless flakiness); Puzzle Bobble is one of my puzzle favs if Tetris doesn't work for you. Otherwise easy filter would be anything retro arcade cause the standard wiring setup was just a stick and 3 buttons outside of fighting games.

Oh cool, thanks for the link. I have a new stick to swap in to the controller, but haven't actually swapped it yet.

Yeah, those all seem like a good idea for the stick! I already have puzzle bobble everybobble, and really enjoy it. I started playing the messenger the other day, and just got stuck in the first shop, lmao ing at the dialog you get when trying to loot the closet.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

B33rChiller posted:

I think twin sticks shooters are cousins to shmups, but I stick em in the same folder on my consoles for sure. No point in splitting hairs too much but when I think "shmup" I'm imagining an auto-scroller of some kind. Star Fox and After Burner both give me more of that "shmup" feel than Binding of Isaac, since Isaac gives you plenty of time to think and build a strategy.

The dodging and shooting strats remain largely the same though - quick kill, cut backs, macro vs micro dodge, etc.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I wish space invaders infinity gene would get rounded up in a taito collection and ported to something

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

I wish space invaders infinity gene would get rounded up in a taito collection and ported to something

This does appear to still be available on Xbox Live, and is backwards compatible. I'll have to give it a shot some time. I really dig Space Invaders Extreme on Switch, though it's better on DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've recently learned Cotton is a lot easier if you don't hoard resources, and don't try to to play the entire level just using the regular shot.
There are a lot of pickups. I don't need to save everything for the boss.