Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Not sure if this counts, but I've been playing Nova Drift for my Shoot'em Up fix.
It's on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/858210/Nova_Drift/

It's early access but that is just because they are adding new mods, and have different modes they haven't enabled yet. It's a full game. Endless mode (high score challenge) and also a Time Attack mode is enabled, to see how fast you can get to and beat the final boss.

It's appealing because of the variety of builds you can make. There are 14 or so different base hulls you can choose, and like 10 different shields and 12 base weapons. You can mix and match them however you wish, and as you progress through the game you'll get a choice of mods that will drastically change how you play through the game. There are also options to go shield-less, weapon-less (ramming speed), or have drones/mines do your damage instead.

I also like the art-direction. It's fairly minimalist, like Geometry Wars, but very vibrant. Some say it's too vibrant when there are too many explosions happening.

For old school Mame world Shoot'em ups, my favorite is Darius Gaiden. "dariusg" in Mame. It has amazing music and a huge variety of paths you can take that each have different bosses/levels you'll go through. It's also aquatically themed with robotic bosses being fish of different types and they are awesome.
https://shmups.wiki/library/Darius_Gaiden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Like 20 years ago I 1ccd Gigawing. That was my greatest achievement.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What do people itt think about Nova Drift as far as SHMUPs goes? It certainly shares some elements, but it's a different kind of game that makes me hesitant to recommend it as a SHMUP, but in that case, what kind of game is it?