Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is a great thread. I’ve been playing loads of shmups again because so much are coming to the switch, but I got into the genre because in 2005 that’s what you played for free on your laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i loved a game called Tyrian when i was a little kid, are there any more shmups like that where you get to upgrade your ship instead of it being all temporary powerups?

Yup this is its own sub genre “Euro SHMUPs”. Personally loved raptor, but these games usually had huge amounts of enemy HP and a big health bar and were less about the dodging and more about making sure you have the right equipment and load out. Tyrian had a great soundtrack too

https://shmups.wiki/library/Euroshmups

Oddly enough Jets n Guns which was meant to be a retro throwback is now older than Tyrian was when it came out