Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's one of those genres that replaying over and over, the practice, feels really good to me on the games I enjoy, but I don't find often there's a lot to talk about outside of like-- reading news when there's something new out or an older game becomes available again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

bare bottom pancakes posted:

There's a lot of merit in looking for easier games, but my recommendation is just to play a game you like a little too much.

I have no idea how many hours I put into the game anymore, but I made it to stage 2-3 of DoDonPachi DaiOuJou White Label a few years ago and I'd love to get back to that point sometime!

I think while it can be helpful to play easier games if you're not sure the genre is for you, the best thing I feel is to play a wide variety of what's available, so that you get a good idea of the breadth of genre and you can better get an idea of which aspects are appealing specifically to you. Popular games are popular for good reason, but what sticks with you is going to be unique to you and may not match up with the majority.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

beer gas canister posted:

Ikaruga is an odd bird. It's so different from everything else in terms of level design and priorities that I get my rear end beat anytime I return to it from a different game. Aesthetically I think it's in a class of its own but I don't have as much fun playing the thing compared to a more traditional bullet hell. It'll probably just a minute to click. Also the easy mode seems harder?? since there aren't enough bullets to consistently charge lock shots. The port plays perfectly well and has a lot of options including tate

Ikaruga I was very excited about when I first played it, but the longer I got into it the less I liked it. It didn't give me the same feeling as I get from other shmups I enjoy, it felt more like I was solving a puzzle with zero agency on how to solve it. Whereas with other shmups learning patterns I feel like I'm the one blazing a trail, with Ikaruga I felt more like I was trying trying to figure out what the developer's intended path was.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

After The War posted:

This is basically it. SHMUPs were one the central game formats in the 8 and 16-bit eras, but they faded into the background with the advent of 3D and the disappearance of arcades without ever disappearing completely. And, unlike platformers, they never had a highly-publicized indie renaissance. And when they did get attention, it was usually the most intimidating "bullet hell" types guaranteed to scare away newcomers. Maybe they're a bit too close to an imagined "dumb" past - the genre doesn't have a lot of space for critical thinking or puzzle solving, just dodge and shoot, dodge and shoot.

We're in kind of a "perfect storm" space for them now, though, since they're perfectly suited to mobile gaming and we have a steady stream of new titles and reissues.

Touhou I feel helped keep new fans flowing in as people found interest in the genre, whether they branched out from that specific series or not. Those and Ikaruga are the games I usually hear mentioned from people born circa the 90s as what got them into Shmups.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

HoloCure is probably one of the better implementations of what I might consider both a Roguelight and a Shmup. I think the fact that you have to make decisions on which weapon combinations to go for and how it effects the build of your character (which you can think of in terms of a class choice in a roguelike) and just powerup choice in general-- this is analogous to me to the decisions you make in many roguelike games. The enemies seem to have some randomization to them, but also the stage is fixed at enemy types/patterns appearing at specific timer so there is also memorization, strategy and optimization involved.