Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Is it time for super league???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

hadji murad posted:

They are just going to take that as a challenge and sign more players.
The first footie team to develop Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hadji murad posted:

They are just going to take that as a challenge and sign more players.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1620411469002338304?t=sPOU5nShcBkSqfbT0hl0yQ&s=19

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

puchu posted:

Is it time for super league???

Too late now, PL is the super league now

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/BarcaTimes/status/1620469446208032768

The gift that keeps on giving

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What happens if the league gets its way? Does Barca get to deregister someone else and register Gavi, or is the kid SOOL?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gavi has a €1000m release clause. If he wasn't registered by midnight tonight, however, that goes down to €0 and he can leave on a free in the summer. I have no idea if his clause reverts back to €0 or not if La Liga wins. He can play either way since he's a youth player.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

TheRat posted:

Gavi has a €1000m release clause. If he wasn't registered by midnight tonight, however, that goes down to €0 and he can leave on a free in the summer. I have no idea if his clause reverts back to €0 or not if La Liga wins. He can play either way since he's a youth player.

A BILLION Euro?!?!?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yep. Release clauses are mandatory in Spain so they often set them to stupid numbers if they have no intentions of ever selling.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ah, that makes it understandable. It doesn't make sense, but it makes it understandable.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Also they set neymars stupid high because they thought there was no way anyone would pay it and then hey became a qatar world cup ambassador with a fee that coincidentally matched it so i guess they've gone for a billion from now on.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Does he win a trophy for this

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1623645765330501634

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
They are currently top of the league by 8 points, so maybe

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Probably?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/1625822755684773888
https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/1625823611968712706

Mess of a club.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Surprising absolutely no one (if true).

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Nice try, OP. You're not going to get me sued!

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Angry Lobster posted:

Surprising absolutely no one (if true).

If both parties admit the payments happened then what possible doubt is there? The moment a team is paying the head referee regardless of what it was for they need to be gutted.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

cagliostr0 posted:

If both parties admit the payments happened then what possible doubt is there? The moment a team is paying the head referee regardless of what it was for they need to be gutted.

Being cautious, that's all. Madrid and Barça boys have been accusing each other of bribing referees and corruption since time immemorial, so I don't bat an eye at this kind of crap anymore. If this one actually sticks, please wake me up.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It probably won't "stick" because La Liga has no interest in killing Barcelona as much as we all might laugh but we currently have on record a ref admitting to being paid for giving 'advice' to a club while he was a referee in the league that club played in

We already know something improper has happened

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
More clubs should pay refs for advice on how to not get sent off, valid expense no investigation needed

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
My problem is I've spent most of my life livin' in this ganster's paradise.

the sex ghost posted:

More clubs should pay refs for advice on how to not get sent off, valid expense no investigation needed

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20230216/1001942623/gaspart-donde-esta-problema-barca-hizo-ilegal.html

"What is the problem? Barça did not do anything illegal at all"

Gaspart doing his best Nixon impersonation.

fast cars loose anus posted:

It probably won't "stick" because La Liga has no interest in killing Barcelona as much as we all might laugh but we currently have on record a ref admitting to being paid for giving 'advice' to a club while he was a referee in the league that club played in

We already know something improper has happened

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20230215/1001942100/laporta-casualidad-salgan-informaciones.html

Laporta: "It is no coincidence that this information is coming out now"

You're right Laporta, another smear campaign against Barça, like it always happens when it's winning. Nothing new under the sun.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

€7m over 20 years for the ref Barca were paying

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/20/barcelona-la-liga-xavi-hernandez-former-referee-payments-scandal?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelona-espbarcelona/story/4895807/barcelona-face-corruption-charges-over-referee-payments-scandal

quote:

Prosecutors are seeking corruption charges against Barcelona and former president Josep Maria Bartomeu following the unearthing of payments to the former vice president of the refereeing committee, judicial sources have confirmed to Spanish news agency EFE. Until now, former referee Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira had been the sole focus of the investigation for payments worth €1.4 million received from Barca between 2016 and 2018.

Former Barca presidents Joan Gaspart and Sandro Rosell, along with current president Joan Laporta -- who also was in charge of the club from 2003 to 2010 -- will also be summoned as witnesses. They can no longer face charges, though, because of the statute of limitations for such crimes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
It's happening!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64918604

quote:

Barcelona have been charged with corruption over payments the club made to Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira, a former vice-president of Spain's referees' committee.

Last month it emerged that Barca have paid Negreira and a company he owns a reported total of 8.4m euros (£7.4m) between 2001 and 2018.

A Barcelona court heard on Friday that Barca, former club officials and Negreira had been indicted for "corruption", "breach of trust" and "false business records".

These lawsuits, brought by the Barcelona public prosecutor's office, target the club, as well as former presidents Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell.

La Liga chief executive Javier Tebas said last month that current president Joan Laporta should resign if he was unable to explain the payments.

Laporta responded by saying he will not give Tebas "what he'd like by stepping down" and the charges come three days after Laporta insisted his club had "never bought referees".

"Let it be clear Barca have never bought referees and Barca have never had the intention of buying referees, absolutely never," he said on Tuesday.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Basically 500k a year to buy the vice president of the referees association seems incredibly cheap by football bribe standards

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Have they offered any explanation on what the payments could possibly have been for?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
An "advisory role" in which they were given "technical reports" on refereeing is the cover story and if you think that's ridiculous, well, you're just another Barca hater

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Reading the referee report I paid for and it's just a single page that says 'penalty to Barcelona' and I sit back in my chair nodding my head in silent vindication

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

the sex ghost posted:

Reading the referee report I paid for and it's just a single page that says 'penalty to Barcelona' and I sit back in my chair nodding my head in silent vindication

heh

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

They will probably be sentenced to 100 years in jail only for it to be reduced to a week of community service like all other La Liga related crimes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Paying the nation's top referee millions of euros to write us a report explaining what a yellow card is.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Wake me up when something tangible happens, like UEFA banning them from european competitions for a period of time. It wouldn't matter too much either way because they would get hosed in the groups stage again.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

vyelkin posted:

Paying the nation's top referee millions of euros to write us a report explaining what a yellow card is.

This is probably really important because during the pep years especially they only ever happened to the other team and it would probably be mystifying to a recent la Masia graduate what the reg was doing.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomsan...sh=3ab543a9797d

have no fear, THE SUPER LEVER is ready

FC Barcelona can raise €250 million ($265 million) to alleviate their financial woes and make new signings this summer if they activate a 'super' economic lever currently being prepared, reports say.

President Joan Laporta famously coined the term 'economic lever' ahead of last season, when he pulled off operations such as selling future percentages of television rights income to investment firms including Sixth Street.

This helped Barca spend €158 million ($167 million) on fresh acquisitions such as Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha and Jules Kounde, who have had much to do with Barca being on the cusp of their first La Liga title in four years while leading bitter rivals Real Madrid by nine points at the summit.

Approaching 2023/2024, though, the Spanish top flight's president Javier Tebas has warned Barca that they must shave €200 million ($211.5 million) from the wage bill. But according to AS, the Catalans can tick this box off by selling 49% of Barca Licensing & Merchandising (BLM).

A potential sale of this ilk was reported on last summer, when a consortium headed by Fanatics and Investindustrial was said to be on the verge of buying the stake for €200 million ($211.5 million).

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
is the ref in any trouble for accepting the money?

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
I don’t follow this much but why don’t they just not buy really expensive players for a year or two and get their poo poo in order? Is no one really willing to have a few mediocre years for the long term health of the club? Is it that simple?

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

BigSexy posted:

I don’t follow this much but why don’t they just not buy really expensive players for a year or two and get their poo poo in order? Is no one really willing to have a few mediocre years for the long term health of the club? Is it that simple?

My understanding is that the socios system ends up prioritizing short-term gains and flaunting of status because Barca fans are incredibly fragile. Any stumble or sign of weakness is liable to get a club president railroaded out.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BigSexy posted:

Is no one really willing to have a few mediocre years for the long term health of the club? Is it that simple?

Yup! It is in fact that simple, because then some businessman with a wide smile says "I'm gonna spend a billion Euros to clone Messi, and I know how to do it within FFP rules" wins the next presidential election, and all of these prudent people are out of a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

BigSexy posted:

That would be the case if they were actually interested in the long term health of the club instead of their own personal glory.