Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best text editor
This poll is closed.
emacs 0 0%
vim 11 20.00%
notepad 2 3.64%
notepad ++ 10 18.18%
textedit 2 3.64%
microsoft word 2 3.64%
notes.app 3 5.45%
vscode 7 12.73%
sublime or atomic or one of those 7 12.73%
textwrangler (remember that one?) 3 5.45%
<textarea> in the browser 2 3.64%
this thread 6 10.91%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I've been using either TextEdit, Notepad++, or vim for the past as long as I can remember. But I feel like my life is too easy these days, and I'm walking around not being angry enough at computers, so it's time to spice up the ol' text love life. Should I switch to emacs?

I don't do any coding, most of what I use text editors for is to look like a hacker whilst screensharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
use hackertyper.net op

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

emacs is great for looking like you know what you're doing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i remember the notepad++ guy posted this whole thing about how he's saving the planet because np++ code was cleanly written and thus more energy efficient. in reaction, i set my work laptop up so that whenever np++ was open it was also running folding@home full throttle

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

no nano, voted 1

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
emacs is garbo

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

aw frig aw dang it posted:

emacs is great for looking like you know what you're doing

Perfect.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i remember the notepad++ guy posted this whole thing about how he's saving the planet because np++ code was cleanly written and thus more energy efficient. in reaction, i set my work laptop up so that whenever np++ was open it was also running folding@home full throttle

It's still a great program though. I edited CIV2 files so much more efficiently in np++ versus boring windows notepad.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

In fact, the only proper use case for notepad.exe is as a chat platform with the user you're remote-cjing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

used emacs for 20 years, but visual studio code grabbed the best (as well as some of the worse) aspects of emacs and ran with it. most notably pervasive extensions (good), the mess associated with random extensions (bad), and thoroughly one-upping tramp mode.

otoh for this thread emacs probably fits, as one of the main ways in which it is bad is how its approach to ui is forever stuck in the 70s (the only small concessions being pretty much 100% lucid shaming the fsf into a few incrediby crude richer ui features). makes it look plenty arcane though.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Emacs is fantastic

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

no

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I use emacs and I'm a really good programmer that everyone respects

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/vi.html

matti fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 3, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every macro! alas, crappy skills.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

simple

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
emacs is a good way to be annoying so you should use it if your goal is to be annoying, op

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

the perfect software...

matti
Mar 31, 2019

implementing vi is left as an intellectual exercise to the reader

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
ive just used vi through an adb connection to a bluestacks instance through the windows command line through a remote desktop connection to my mom's brand new laptop to edit a config file for an awful mobile game that my mom has sunk untold amount of time into to make it reconnect to the same game save she had on her tablet that just died (because it's "not saved in the cloud" if you refuse to use facebook but they put it on the cloud anyway but with a randomly generated account name and password tied to your device to artificially imbue the process with "not cloud" downsides) and I must say that emacs wouldn't have made any of this any less painful

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ideally you use vim, get stuck in it, and never figure out how to post again

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i never understood the 'confusing to quit vim' meme. :q whats hard about that

its easier than ctrl+c ctrl+shift+x+z or whatever the gently caress emacs wants.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

post hole digger posted:

i never understood the 'confusing to quit vim' meme. :q whats hard about that

its easier than ctrl+c ctrl+shift+x+z or whatever the gently caress emacs wants.

nobody uses emacs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only people who still use emacs are ancient grogs who have this 182 kilobyte macro library set up to replace all function calls with GOTOs or some similarly awful code habit

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the few people who used emacs that ive worked with all had rsi, probably from chording way too much

though it can easily be the other way, the only editor amenable to hahaha ok i cant finish this

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I use emacs. AMA.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

vscode is pretty great tbh and gets better alarmingly quickly

if you want to do vi, i recently found this: https://github.com/AstroNvim/AstroNvim which turns it into an kind-of-like-vscode which might be a good middle ground if you want to be a bit frustrated and not have vscode's "contemptible" graphical user interface but have something that approximates it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nvrgrls posted:

It's still a great program though. I edited CIV2 files so much more efficiently in np++ versus boring windows notepad.

it was practically a requirement if you were on windows, as for the longest time, notepad.exe didn't handle unix line endings so you would open a file and it would just be one extremely long line

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in things that certainly make me *not* look like a cool hacker is that with switching from emacs to vscode i needed a secondary console editor for the few times when launching vscode/remoting was inconvenient. i this time said "gently caress it, lets have the same key bindings as every modern application" and picked up micro.

feels a lot like being a nano user, but having the same selection semantics and keybindings as every other textfield on my system is simply better after having given up the pretty dubious advantage of using the same editor forced into both a gui (well "gui") and console form.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

use vscode idiot

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Zlodo posted:

ive just used vi
through an adb connection
to a bluestacks instance
through the windows command line
through a remote desktop connection
to my mom's brand new laptop
to edit a config file
for an awful mobile game

powerful curse. you are a dutiful child

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

op do you need to talk about stuff? people don't normally put ideations of self-harm in their thread titles

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
cant find bbedit in your poll; voted 1

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks everyone. Looks like the poll says vim is still the best so I've been making the right decision all these years and will continue to make that decision. Remain blessed!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
notepad++ is the best thing for editing text files but its not an IDE. for that you need visual studio

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
i use emacs as my window manager op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I figured out why they call you never girls :xd:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

emacs are the ones who live on endor right?

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

notepad++ lmao, throw that poo poo out the window.

learn vim, then throw vim out the window and install emacs with evil. if you're a js developer install neovim and enjoy the constant churn and breakage you're so used to.

if you love satan and need to be productive, just use vscode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

lmfao