Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's tempting to go hog wild with fillings but structural integrity is important to consider.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

it's tempting to go hog wild with fillings but structural integrity is important to consider.

i just put mine on a plate

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Well, if you had been holding it above your mouth the whole time it wouldn't have been an issue

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

w4ddl3d33 posted:

why the gently caress do they put MILK in chips!!!!!!! i dont get it and i never will

one time i was eating a bag of nuts and i had a moment of clarity and checked the ingredients only to find cream??? cream in nuts???????

powdered whey is a dairy industry byproduct, and I guess it sort of brings an umami flavor to chips. since lots of people think MSG/E621 is BAD, lots of chips are not vegan.

don't know what it's like in other countries, but in Sweden, there are more kinds of chips with whey powder than without.

Mrs Farmer is vegan, and she can tell immediately when something has dairy in it that shouldn't.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

otoh vegan fast food in Sweden is pretty great. all the major burger chains has vegetarian options, and most of them have vegan options too.

McDonalds has a McVegan, which is a soy patty, egg free mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce and tomato.

Tastes exactly like you expect a McD burger to taste like. Good and bad.

you can make most burgers vegetarian by swapping a beef patty for a vegan patty.

Swedish chain Max has lots of vegetarian stuff.

vegetarians can replace the beef patty with either 'plant beef', or a slab of halloumi cheese. fake meat nuggets and crispy-no-chicken are decent fake ground bird.

Burger King has one vegan and a couple of vegetarian options.

it's never hard for my family of vegans and vegetarians to find somewhere to eat and something that isn't just fries and ketchup if we are on a roadtrip, or just burgin'

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'd make a hog of myself if i could get a halloumi burger over here.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
the other day when i dropped my burrito i got one of those lentil hot dogs from ikea with pickled cabbage on top and it was so so loving GOOD

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’d like a Morningstar Farms chic-n patty on a hamburger bun with tomato sauce and mozzarella as my drive-thru vegetarian option.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

axolotl farmer posted:

otoh vegan fast food in Sweden is pretty great. all the major burger chains has vegetarian options, and most of them have vegan options too.

McDonalds has a McVegan, which is a soy patty, egg free mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce and tomato.

Tastes exactly like you expect a McD burger to taste like. Good and bad.

you can make most burgers vegetarian by swapping a beef patty for a vegan patty.

Swedish chain Max has lots of vegetarian stuff.

vegetarians can replace the beef patty with either 'plant beef', or a slab of halloumi cheese. fake meat nuggets and crispy-no-chicken are decent fake ground bird.

Burger King has one vegan and a couple of vegetarian options.

it's never hard for my family of vegans and vegetarians to find somewhere to eat and something that isn't just fries and ketchup if we are on a roadtrip, or just burgin'

There always seem to be veggie/vegan options at international fast food chains. I wonder if it's the beef/dairy lobbies that prevent these kinds of things from being more available in the US. Anyways the Indian McDonalds/Burger King menus rock if you're vegetarian.

https://www.burgerking.in/product-listing

https://mcdindia.com/#menu

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I finally tried the fake spam from omnipork, and it’s a 6/10 product. It’s fine, it’s perfectly edible, but it’s clearly not spam. It doesn’t have the right taste, it doesn’t have the right texture, it doesn’t crisp up the right way, and it’s not nearly as salty as it should be. About the only similarity other than shape and color is that it bubbles with oil when you cook it like you’d expect from real spam.

I bought two packages of six pieces each so I’ll keep trying it out. It costs $8 per package. Would not recommend at that price. I also picked up packs of fake pork strips and pork crumbles from the same company, maybe those will be better. I found a package of beyond steak tri tips too that I hadn’t seen before, hoping those will be good

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Ziv Zulander posted:

I finally tried the fake spam from omnipork, and it’s a 6/10 product. It’s fine, it’s perfectly edible, but it’s clearly not spam. It doesn’t have the right taste, it doesn’t have the right texture, it doesn’t crisp up the right way, and it’s not nearly as salty as it should be. About the only similarity other than shape and color is that it bubbles with oil when you cook it like you’d expect from real spam.

I bought two packages of six pieces each so I’ll keep trying it out. It costs $8 per package. Would not recommend at that price. I also picked up packs of fake pork strips and pork crumbles from the same company, maybe those will be better. I found a package of beyond steak tri tips too that I hadn’t seen before, hoping those will be good

marinate it in a lil soy sauce and make musubi

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
UK McDs brought out a double McPlant. Saves me ordering two like a slob.

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter
My partner and I are moving from Canada to Finland soon and I am really excited to see what vegetarian options are available there. The Swedish post is really encouraging!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if you're in the chicagoland area pita inn is cheap and good as hell. stuffed myself with tabbouleh and falafel last night and I still have enough left to do it again tonight

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

if you're in the chicagoland area pita inn is cheap and good as hell. stuffed myself with tabbouleh and falafel last night and I still have enough left to do it again tonight

Pita inn is the bomb!!! Mmmm think I know what's for dinner

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I live in Poland. If you know anything about Polish cuisine, you know it's 1/3rd animal fat, 1/3rd every animal body part possible and 1/3rd severe gastrointestinal distress. Optins for vegan eating used to be pretty loving dire until about a decade ago, and now I live in heaven. I wish to share with you the amazing kebab place in Gdynia, in the north of the country.

This thick bastard has enough seitan, vegan nacho cheese dip and vegetables to feed an entire loving platoon. This is what a large kebab looks like, and I managed to down maybe half of it before tapping out.

They also seem to have broken the curse of vegan places always being twice as expensive - everything here costs about as much as you'd pay in a "regular" kebab place. It whips and it rules.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

30 dollars for a gyro is normal to you? :aaa:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Wendigee posted:

30 dollars for a gyro is normal to you? :aaa:

I did make a point of mentioning I'm in Poland

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I live in Poland. If you know anything about Polish cuisine, you know it's 1/3rd animal fat, 1/3rd every animal body part possible and 1/3rd severe gastrointestinal distress. Optins for vegan eating used to be pretty loving dire until about a decade ago, and now I live in heaven. I wish to share with you the amazing kebab place in Gdynia, in the north of the country.

This thick bastard has enough seitan, vegan nacho cheese dip and vegetables to feed an entire loving platoon. This is what a large kebab looks like, and I managed to down maybe half of it before tapping out.

They also seem to have broken the curse of vegan places always being twice as expensive - everything here costs about as much as you'd pay in a "regular" kebab place. It whips and it rules.

That looks tasty af! I had a vegan gyro in Krakow like 6 years ago that was amazing and pretty cheap, in Vegab. I miss pre-covid city breaks and finding little places like that :(

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

that aint bad at all for like $6

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I live in Poland.

I'm Swedish, but we go to Poland a lot to visit Mrs Farmers babcia (who is extremely old). Never had any problems finding vegan or vegetarian food, even in the small town that we go to. When Mrs Farmer became vegan, many years before we met, she mostly had to stick to frytki if they went out to eat, just like the thread title says.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Tesdinic posted:

My partner and I are moving from Canada to Finland soon and I am really excited to see what vegetarian options are available there. The Swedish post is really encouraging!

McD's has pretty decent options:

...And some wraps but who eats a wrap at McDonalds.

They usually always do the monthly special (Might BBQ atm) as both meat/chicken/vegetarian. Burger King also has several vegetarian burgs, as does the local chains Hesburger and Friends & Burger (slightly more upscale).

Do not eat the KFC veggie stuff. It's all tasteless garbage.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

When I visited Warsaw I went to this vegan burger joint called Krowarzywa Vegan Burger and I really enjoyed it. The location was right across the street from this dope poster shop Galeria Grafiki that I wish I could go back to.

Edit: oh I also just remembered that the menu said it was partially designed by a dietician. the burger/smoothie I got was very satisfying, probably because of that. lots of items had hella bean sprouts on them and the vibe was sort of “upscale granola person”, but it was great.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 4, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Krowarzywa has really good food, but the labour conditions aren't particularly great, the owner doesn't really believe in hiring people as actual employees. I hope they unionise and get his rear end

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Krowarzywa has really good food, but the labour conditions aren't particularly great, the owner doesn't really believe in hiring people as actual employees. I hope they unionise and get his rear end

I really dislike that! Labor conditions should never be a compromise for vegan food!!!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Doll House Ghost posted:

McD's has pretty decent options:

All of those sound really good, but please export the rye burger to the US please.
- A fat guy who likes vegetarian food too

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I think the McPlant bombed pretty hard so maybe they're wary about adding something like that again?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
They test marketed the McPlant in the middle of BFE cattle country as an exclusive sandwich, I'm shocked it did poorly.

Also, McPlant is a stupid loving name. It's not a McBeef Big Mac, it's just a Big Mac. It was test marketed to fail so they didn't have to try to sell the idea of vegetarian without taking a hit because "they tried".

And yes, I am saltier than the fries about it. Vegie burgers and meat replacements are tasty and I like options.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I think the McPlant bombed pretty hard so maybe they're wary about adding something like that again?

lmao I'm vegan and never even heard of the McPlant. probably wouldn't be interested anyway, but lmao

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

hark posted:

lmao I'm vegan and never even heard of the McPlant. probably wouldn't be interested anyway, but lmao

I'd guess large proportion of vegans are vegan for ethical reasons, and giving money to McDonalds is basically the opposite of ethical.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Torquemada posted:

I'd guess large proportion of vegans are vegan for ethical reasons, and giving money to McDonalds is basically the opposite of ethical.

that's fair. I'm not one of those, but on top of that, I think it's a losing game to believe that you can morally navigate spending money in any meaningful way. the cruelty is kinda just built into the system, so it seems arbitrary to try to avoid places because they're "bad". seems like it's just something people do cause it feels good.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Would be pretty dope if McDonald's tasted the same but wasn't made of animals. I don't feel great about it but having a plant based garbage fast food option is still an improvement.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Would be pretty dope if McDonald's tasted the same but wasn't made of animals.

That’s pretty much what the Euro McVegan is. It’s a cromulent fast food burger, nothing more, nothing less.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

"McPlant" is such a goofy fuckin name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

In Germany, I had the occasion to try the "Fresh Vegan TS" at a Hamburg McDonalds (next door to a brothel, no less).

:nws: :nws:

Obvious jokes aside (Fresh Vegan TS? Yea I dated some of those) it was... interesting. The patty was fine, but I swear to god they inserted a very brittle piece of red plastic instead of a tomato in there. Didn't care to repeat the experience.