Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

tithin posted:

Unrelated to TO, Diofield Chronicles Square's other, new SRPG franchise, is also coming to PC with a demo out now - anyone played it? how's it looking rn?

Wish it were turn based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Diofield's gameplay reminds me a lot of the Growlanser series. Which, for me, is a huge selling point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

akkristor posted:

Diofield's gameplay reminds me a lot of the Growlanser series. Which, for me, is a huge selling point.

This was my immediate thought when I first saw the game and I hope it turns out good. How long is the demo?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's about ~3ish hours if you do the side missions and let all the voice acting play out. The gameplay is pretty fun but the way the story is told feels extremely budget. Cutscenes are very simplistic and sometimes really important story beats are told through narration. I'd wait for reviews of the full game before buying it for sure, since it's $60.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ither posted:

Wish it were turn based.

https://youtu.be/tuT0yNa8cvQ

Apparently you can play it turn based if you want.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Absolutely banging year for video games for me, and like seventeen other people.

We're so close to me quitting my jobs and just playing videogames forever.

This is a day 1 purchase because I've never played a tactics ogre game despite loving ogre battle and FFT. (I never had the correct console at the right time)

Diofield Chronicles seems pretty great based on what I've played of the demo so far.

Hopefully the Front Mission remaster opens us up to a Front Mission 3 remake
Hopefully we get a new Ogre Battle Game (Or even a remaster of the original)
Hopefully we get a Suikoden and Suikoden 2 release on the switch.

But yeah I've already pre-ordered this game

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Dang when did square get bit by the SRPG bug? We get Triangle strat, diofield, and TO all in one year?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

poo poo i still need to buy Strangle Tragedy.

Right now my current list of games for the rest of this year:

Diofield
Harvestella
Tactics Ogre: Reborn

Of interest but lack of funds:
Crisis Core Remake
SMT: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers 2
Valkyrie Elysium
Dragon Quest Treasures

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

This is a day 1 purchase because I've never played a tactics ogre game despite loving ogre battle and FFT. (I never had the correct console at the right time)

I am so jealous

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
knight of lodis is best TO game

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dpulex posted:

:mods:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

He is loving right: you play young Lanselot (the future dark knight of Lodis, not the xenobian one) in it. And it's cool as hell. I wonder if Vyce is still the most contrarian rear end in a top hat idiot in this version of the game?

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 14, 2022

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I can't wait to experience the scene of Chaos Vyce being hanged, now with voice acting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Neurion posted:

I can't wait to experience the scene of Chaos Vyce being hanged, now with voice acting.

Same. I'm also very excited to hear how villianous law!Vyce sounds.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Node posted:

Thanks dude.

Square Enix's Japan store just added the script book for pre-order.

https://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/4988601502894.html

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

can't wait to play "ALOSER"

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Concurred posted:

Alas, they renamed her in the remake. The remake LOOOOOOVES sticking the letter Y into things.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Concurred posted:

She is an archer so she is a winner anyway.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

A clip of the first cutscene in Japanese, so a sample of Denam, Catiua, and Vyce's Japanese voice actors.

https://twitter.com/TacticsOgre_PR/status/1559088298232287232

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Do we have a general TRPG thread?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Dpulex posted:

The game was so slow-paced, I didn't like the music, the phase-based combat replaced one of my favorite mechanics (speed-based turns), I played it on the original GBA which was really drat dark (nothing to do with this game, necessarily, just hated that thing). I think I got to the end and...just never went back to it.

It did have a few cool things, like making classes mostly gender neutral, the medals/awards or whatever (although some of them could gently caress right off)... But overall it was a disappointing entry to me.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Prowler posted:

The game was so slow-paced, I didn't like the music, the phase-based combat replaced one of my favorite mechanics (speed-based turns), I played it on the original GBA which was really drat dark (nothing to do with this game, necessarily, just hated that thing). I think I got to the end and...just never went back to it.

It did have a few cool things, like making classes mostly gender neutral, the medals/awards or whatever (although some of them could gently caress right off)... But overall it was a disappointing entry to me.

I liked the male-exclusive medal you could get for failing to recruit female soldiers on the battlefield too many times.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I had to look it up--they were called emblems. I also forgot about the biorhythm mechanic.

Broken Heart (male characters only)
Requirement: fail persuading female enemies 10 times
Effect: period of biorhythm down

There were these funny but gently caress you ones:

Don Quixote
Requirement: have a character lose 2/3 of their life from a counterattack (train ok)
Effect: -10 intelligence

Bogus Hero
Requirement: gain 20 levels by training
Effect: cannot perform critical hits (negated by miracle)

Locking classes behind some of them was kinda dumb, as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

you get to fight loving Lucifer in KoL, it whipped rear end. that being said the fast pace of LUCT will be a welcome change to the snail's pace that KoL was. Idk how people played that game without a fastforward button on an emulator lol.

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

Played and beat FFT for the first time a few years ago and loved it so I've been wanting to try a TO game so this is perfect. Was almost done with Triangle Strategy then put it down for some other games. Just finished Live-A-Live yesterday so I think I'll finish up TS in the mean time to get ready for this.

Also, I'm a big dumb idiot and don't fully understand the new leveling system. Does it mean that whatever the characters level is, that will be the level of the class? Say you're a level 15 warrior and decide to change to wizard which you've never used before. Will you then start at level 15 for wizard?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

K-Flow posted:

Played and beat FFT for the first time a few years ago and loved it so I've been wanting to try a TO game so this is perfect. Was almost done with Triangle Strategy then put it down for some other games. Just finished Live-A-Live yesterday so I think I'll finish up TS in the mean time to get ready for this.

Also, I'm a big dumb idiot and don't fully understand the new leveling system. Does it mean that whatever the characters level is, that will be the level of the class? Say you're a level 15 warrior and decide to change to wizard which you've never used before. Will you then start at level 15 for wizard?

With the PSP version, characters don't have levels, classes do. Your knights can be level 5, archers level 6, and the character will switch back and forth levels as you change classes. If your archer levels after battle, all archers level up.

If you've never used a sword master, and a level 15 sword master is recruited, he drops to level 1 while he's a sword master.

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

That clears that up quite a bit, thank you!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

It was a pretty big change.

In FFT, your stat growth is hidden and varies by gender. Each level, your raw stats increase in the background until they reach a threshold that increases the actual number you see. It's gradual enough that you might not even notice it until examine the base stats of a unit that's leveled in physical classes vs. magical classes for several levels. It is much more direct in Tactics Ogre, where you can see the stat changes each time a unit levels.

This meant that the classes your unit levels in actually matters, and you will have wildly different stat outcomes after 10 levels or so.

Leveling by class in the PSP remake of TO lessened the impact of level-up on stats, since it is controlled by class. However, leveling units in different classes--especially if they started from level 1, had a similar affect to their base permanent stats. So a level 10 Wizard who helped level that class from level 1 would have better INT than one who just switched the class.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Dpulex posted:

I'm just playing this for the first time and having a lot of fun with it. Is LUCT like this where character building is kind of restrictive? It's an interesting dynamic compared to a game like FFT where you have a small group of superheroes, to instead have a large group of fairly limited characters in Knight of Lodis.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Prowler posted:

Leveling by class in the PSP remake of TO lessened the impact of level-up on stats, since it is controlled by class. However, leveling units in different classes--especially if they started from level 1, had a similar affect to their base permanent stats. So a level 10 Wizard who helped level that class from level 1 would have better INT than one who just switched the class.

I think the PSP version of TO gave a stat boost to everyone who was set to a job when that job levels up, so you could powergame the system by setting everyone to a job, leveling it, then swapping them to another job, leveling it...etc.

Since TO:Reborn is brining back stuff like the individual character levels I hope it means they're bringing back some of the other level boosting stuff like the Warrior gear. Being able to boost Luck via leveling was amazing and getting even a generic unit to 100 luck makes a huge difference.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Ooooooo I am just so pumped for this. I do totally regret finishing a neutral playthrough a few months ago though. I dunno if I can bite off this insane loving game again so soon.

I wonder if Canopus is still going to be an absolute murder machine again? And I still better be able to recruit liches from the pirate graveyard.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

drat just realized this is gonna be $50. I'm not mad because I will give them money if it means we MIGHT get a new Ogre Battle but drat

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Ooooooo I am just so pumped for this. I do totally regret finishing a neutral playthrough a few months ago though. I dunno if I can bite off this insane loving game again so soon.

I wonder if Canopus is still going to be an absolute murder machine again? And I still better be able to recruit liches from the pirate graveyard.

How is the Neutral payoff compared to the Chaos one? Is it just the bunch of named generics that's the real pull there or...

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm just playing this for the first time and having a lot of fun with it. Is LUCT like this where character building is kind of restrictive? It's an interesting dynamic compared to a game like FFT where you have a small group of superheroes, to instead have a large group of fairly limited characters in Knight of Lodis.

Units in every version of LUCT are far more restricted in their roles than FFT characters, yeah. You still get some interesting options- the originals have no class restrictions on weapons so you can have weird stuff like healers toting around bows if you want, and the PSP release gives every class a few unique active skill options that add some versatility- but most classes have one or two roles that they're meant to be able to fill and can't break away from that too much. You'll still end up with some characters in your squad that are overpowered, but less "teleporting ninjas with Math skill" and more "spellcasters that never miss with Petrify" or "archers that can just delete an enemy on demand".

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How is the Neutral payoff compared to the Chaos one? Is it just the bunch of named generics that's the real pull there or...

You lose one of my favorite units in the game (DISAFFECTION!) this way, so I never tried. Neutral was definitely the worst in the original, I'm not sure about the remake.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Any word on whether exp will be awarded on a per battle basis, or on a per action basis? I really hope it's the former.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Ace Transmuter posted:

Any word on whether exp will be awarded on a per battle basis, or on a per action basis? I really hope it's the former.
Not that I've seen, but it was per battle before and I don't see them having a big reason to change it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

per action is so loving bad and I do not understand why it keeps getting used in trpgs

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Units in every version of LUCT are far more restricted in their roles than FFT characters, yeah. You still get some interesting options- the originals have no class restrictions on weapons so you can have weird stuff like healers toting around bows if you want, and the PSP release gives every class a few unique active skill options that add some versatility- but most classes have one or two roles that they're meant to be able to fill and can't break away from that too much. You'll still end up with some characters in your squad that are overpowered, but less "teleporting ninjas with Math skill" and more "spellcasters that never miss with Petrify" or "archers that can just delete an enemy on demand".

This is good to hear. FFT is one of my favorite games but I'm enjoying having to put some thought into granular team composition and loadout as a mechanic throughout the game instead of only just at the beginning before I unlock the busted poo poo. Really looking forward to November

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

This is good to hear. FFT is one of my favorite games but I'm enjoying having to put some thought into granular team composition and loadout as a mechanic throughout the game instead of only just at the beginning before I unlock the busted poo poo. Really looking forward to November

It's surprisingly low mental load to get an army going for a fight, even with the comparatively larger battles - once you grok how each unit works roughly, you can slot them in without a lot of thought

That doesn't mean you won't spend time fiddling with your troops between fights, but that's part of the fun yeah?

I'm very curious to see what they change - I have some balance gripes (that are things you'll only care about after playing for like, dozens or hundreds of hours), and some QoL stuff I'd really like to see - but since it's on PC, very good chance modders can tackle either or both of these down the line if SE doesn't