Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
We finally got our disproportionate revenge for Pearl Harbor. Or maybe not enough revenge given that Pearl Harbor (2001) still happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
My thought are it did not seem like a chill time.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
They were objectively more humane than literally firebombing a city every other day. It stopped Japan from being split in two with the Soviets, saved millions of lives on both sides in regards to the planned land invasion, and Japan's leadership was not united in aiming for peace.

Considering they were already accustomed to fire bombings, these were simply an escalation in scale. They were cited as prime reasons in Emperor Hirohito's surrendering speech; it's safe to say they at least gave the Japanese an "out" to surrender. The Soviets were an existential threat and Japan did not want them involved in any post-war negotiations.

To put this further into perspective, the nuclear bombs dropped on both cities destroyed 4.7 miles and then 1.8 miles of land. The conventional bombing of Tokyo destroyed 15.8 miles. War sucks but it is what it is. Modern nuclear weapons are much, much more destructive than what was used in '45.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

We thought it would mellow them out a little. You know. Give some perspective on what’s really important in life.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

It's real bad OP.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Pearl Harbor = hosed around
Hiroshima/Nagasaki = found out

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
should've nuked Moscow after that

and Darfur while they were at it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
On the Japanese instrument of surrender the Canadian Representative put his signature on the wrong line and hosed it up for everyone else

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Remember the panic of the late 80s/early 90s that the Japanese were going to completely take over American society? Michael Crichton wrote an entire book about it that was racist as fuuuuuuuuuck lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Wasn’t Japan on the verge of surrendering anyway as the Soviet’s were slaughtering them from the other side?

Or did Oliver Stone lie to me?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah all of our mass murders are justified and necessary

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I would say Japan made it's choices really.

I agree it would have been way funnier to let the soviets deal with it though, lmfao.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

War is bad. Killing innocent people is bad. Nuking two entire cities full of innocent people because the US had to flex its new toy to the world is bad.

It’s all bad, OP.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the cities were never bombed, those were crisis actors etched in the walls of crisis buildings

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
*pulls lever in the Enola Guy, but through a hole in a sheet*

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
it was simply the natural progression of warfare

pointy sticks > swords > gunpowder > nukes > calling the other guy a cucked soyboy > nukes again

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Japan should be allowed to nuke 2 US cities of their choosing Florida as reparation.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

On the Japanese instrument of surrender the Canadian Representative put his signature on the wrong line and hosed it up for everyone else

Lmao

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
in retrospect, it was wrong of me to say that the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocents made me "doki doki"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=21&t=sj4n-crdCpFnSbXy-xvlLw

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7-a39L0jU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

They were objectively more humane than literally firebombing a city every other day. It stopped Japan from being split in two with the Soviets, saved millions of lives on both sides in regards to the planned land invasion, and Japan's leadership was not united in aiming for peace.

Considering they were already accustomed to fire bombings, these were simply an escalation in scale. They were cited as prime reasons in Emperor Hirohito's surrendering speech; it's safe to say they at least gave the Japanese an "out" to surrender. The Soviets were an existential threat and Japan did not want them involved in any post-war negotiations.

To put this further into perspective, the nuclear bombs dropped on both cities destroyed 4.7 miles and then 1.8 miles of land. The conventional bombing of Tokyo destroyed 15.8 miles. War sucks but it is what it is. Modern nuclear weapons are much, much more destructive than what was used in '45.

In war lots of cultures say they will fight to the last man, woman, and child, but the Japanese actually meant it. We were doing very, very bad things to them for a long time before the nukes

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The atomic bombing of Japan is directly responsible for a large quantity of anime, and therefore must be condemned.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

We should’ve nuked only the men and babies

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 7, 2022

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Did nuking Japan directly lead to the creation of Anime?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Sophy Wackles posted:

Did nuking Japan directly lead to the creation of Anime?

yeah the radiation gave all their cartoons massive tatas

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
If you are starting the timeline at July 31st of 45', then it's probably the best thing that could have realistically happened.

Still super sucks, op

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

I will nuke the poo poo out of you, in civilization 6

Calm down, Ghandi.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
dont forget the US set up radiation clinics that purely studied the affected people but provided no actual medical aid, for decades

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought it was stupid that they didn’t just nuke hitler. :shrug:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I can relate to thr people who were nuked at Hiroshima and Nagasaki cuz sometimes my anushole hurts after I poo poo too big

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I thought it was stupid that they didn’t just nuke hitler. :shrug:

Nuking white people was haram at the time.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The bomb was developed for Nazi Germany but Germany surrendered before it was complete.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm (Enola) Gay

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Speaking of bombings, Rich Vos will be performing at Zanies Comedy Club in Chicago on the 17th.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Wasn’t Japan on the verge of surrendering anyway as the Soviet’s were slaughtering them from the other side?

Or did Oliver Stone lie to me?

I've heard this line but none of the books I've read have put a lot of stock in it, though most of the sources being US or Japanese (from during or after occupation) could certainly introduce a bias towards handwaving that off. Given Japan was still planning on defending their homelands by forcing civillians to be poorly armed conscripts or suicide bombers, and there was still a coup attempt even after 2 bombs were dropped, its hard for me to think there was any realistic peace on the table, at least one that didn't let the IJN/IJA keep their occupied territories.

I'm not even sure how surrendering to Russia would have even mattered, Russia can't unilaterally make the US declare peace after being attacked. Was the idea that Russia would then safeguard Japan and the US would have had to go to war with the Soviets if they wanted to liberate Japanese held territory?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Christopher Nolan is making an Oppenheimer Movie, looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hflCiNtY6MA

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Seriouspost: I think we got lucky as hell.

Nuclear weapons were going to be developed, once science advanced to the point where they started discovering nuclear physics it was just a matter of time. One discovery leads to another and sooner or later people would figure out how to make things go boom via this new physics.

However. The timing of this was coincidentally such that the development of a working nuclear bomb was on the horizon just before and then during a huge global war; and it was just barely accomplished towards the end of that war, just in time for two (comparably small) first-generation bombs to be dropped on inhabited urban targets. In particular, nobody other than the USA had a realistic chance of completing a nuclear bomb project before the war would have been over, thanks to a truly massive advantage in both material resources and available trained personnel. (Not just the big physics thinkers, but every qualified lab worker you need for a project like that... if you don't have them, you need to spend years educating them.) Some years later, of course, multiple other powers had copied the homework and got their own arsenals, bigger numbers of bigger bombs... but by then we'd all had a good eyeful of the actual effects the drat things have on cities full of humans, and successfully classified them as last-resort deterrence weapons. 77 years later and they've still not been used again.

Contrast with the alternate possibility, where the required advances in science came during peacetime; maybe a situation similar to the decade or so before WW1... multipolar political setup, several militaristic great powers, everyone always working to strengthen their military power. Someone completes their project, everyone else copies their homework, soon enough everyone has sizeable arsenals of bombs significantly bigger than the ones dropped on Japan... then some fucker shoots an Archduke in the Balkans or something... and nobody has seen what a nuclear bomb will do to a city, it's all theoretical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Conversely if the United States had nuclear bombs in 1938, Pearl harbor never would have happened in 41 and Germany would have probably been a lot more hesitant about attacking Western European allies of the United States lol