Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Best: Makeup and Vanity Set at Retro Future Fest in London 2019. Absolute loving orgy of sound.

Worst: Ian Brown in Dublin, playing support for Manic Street Preachers. God what a boring man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

poo poo I forgot about when I saw a band called Iversen in June in Bristol. Holy gently caress. They only had a 45 minute set but the lead singer just went apeshit, they basically blew the roof off the joint with their music style and then ended the set with a cover of Sabotage. Highly recommend looking them up.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Sentinel Red posted:

the Manics @ The Astoria (final gig as four piece before Richey hosed off)

:aaa: I'm now insanely jealous of you

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Sentinel Red posted:

Hah, to rub it in even more, it was blind luck that I went at all. Had left school and gotten some crappy job and we were having our Christmas party nearby. I saw touts outside on the way in, was bored of the work do by 8 so I bounced, coughed up for a ticket and went in. The Chemicals were DJing (still known as The Dust Brothers at the time before the US ones complained), got a nice spot upstairs little knowing the importance of the night.

And yeah, it was fantastic, all the old favs plus *that* new album. They trashed the gently caress out everything at the end, James smashed his guitar and Richey launched himself like a loving cruise missile at the drum kit. And that was the end of that.

Went back to the party and told everyone I’d seen god in band form, threw up on the bus home. A+, would recommend.

gently caress now I'm even more jealous!

Context for other goons not in the know about the Manic Street Preachers, they did £26,000 worth of damage to the stage (they broke the Astoria's lighting rig) and their instruments that night, then a month later on February 1st 1995 Richey vanished off the face of the earth and nobody's seen him since

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I miss going to gigs. What I love especially are small festivals. The only two I've been to are Retro Future Fest in London in 2019 and Hotline Bristol back in June. Both excellent small-ish synthwave festivals with such a great atmosphere where everyone kinda knows each other from similar gigs and festivals.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Earwicker posted:

underworld at the fox theatre oakland ca (i love underworld, but the mixing was terrible and the crowd were awful)

cluster at some place in sf i think great american music hall? (again, i love the artist but this show was ruined by the crowd, who talked so loudly that the band were completely inaudible)

james blake some place in brooklyn (decent artist, even worse crowd that the above two)

I hate when a lovely crowd ruins an otherwise good gig. I went to see Colin Stetson once in the Triskel in Cork. He was one of the bigger acts as part of the local jazz festival. Says it all really; almost everyone in the crowd was there to drink and be annoying shitheads, talking over the whole performance.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

nonathlon posted:

I also walked out of a Kris Kristofferson show a few years ago. I'd heard allegations of dementia but it was awful to see in practice - he was sheparded out on stage, propped up with a guitar in front of a microphone and tunelessly sung simplified and slowed down versions of his hits. He stood there looking vaguely confused while the MC raved what an amazing experience it was ...

Had a somewhat similar experience with seeing John Martyn on the Grace And Danger Tour in November 2008 at Vicar Street in Dublin. I knew he was in pretty ill health having had his leg amputated a few years beforehand due to diabetes, but I figured he was still only 60 years old he can't be in that bad of shape, right? He was wheeled out onto the stage in a wheelchair that was only barely able to contain his morbidly obese arse, and the guitar was literally placed on his giant stomach for him to sit there and play it. It was honestly loving heartbreaking to see, but saying that he played a loving blinder. He knew the songs everyone was there to hear and played the poo poo out of them, doing 6-minute-long guitar solos at the end of every song so you didn't feel like you could just as easily stay at home and listen to his albums for free.

And then he'd start talking, and that's when things got apparently bad. He was slurring all his words, and most of the audience didn't understand what the hell he was saying, with a lot of people just waiting for him to get to the end of each sentence to start laughing like he'd just said something funny that they didn't catch.

I went with my mother and said to her that given his state during the gig I felt that he didn't have much longer to live. He was dead 3 months later, and I discovered after the fact that that was in actuality his last live performance :smith:

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Creature posted:

Worst: Ariel Pink in 2015. An absolutely lovely mess of a performance. I left before the end, which is something I've never done before or after. I'm glad he turned out to be an even bigger dickhead later on because I no longer feel guilty about it.

Had never heard of this guy and had to look at his Wikipedia. God what a trash bag human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

All this talk of moshpits has me nostalgic for my favourite time in a pit.

I was maybe 15 or 16 and the local opera house had a back-end venue that they usually used for small comedy club performances, but one Sunday every month they leased out the venue to local metal bands for an afternoon to gently caress things up. In the upstairs part there was a somewhat okay-ish Green Day wannabe band called On/Off playing, and as the pit got going and built up speed, one of my shoes flew off in the middle of the pit. Cue a 17-year-old guy drunk on his dad's stolen Jack Daniels bottle lifting my shoe in the air and chanting 'SHOE!' while looking around for the owner, resulting in about 20 other people in the pit throwing their fists into the air shouting 'SHOE! SHOE! SHOE!'