Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Best: all 5 times I've seen Sleep since their reunion, Neurosis, Maiden when they broke out the Powerslave set again and played Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Weird Al in 1999

Worst: High on Fire when they opened for Opeth because Matt was way too fuckin drunk, Ted Nugent opening for ZZ Top because Ted Nugent is a violent racist and wants you to know that for a fact

Most on-brand: DMX. It was a 3 hour DJ set where they kept telling us X IS IN THE HOUSE while X was decidedly not in the house. I'm going to guess he spent those 3 hours smoking crack cocaine in his tour bus. He came on an hour late, did 45 minutes of truncated versions of his greatest hits, then preached at everyone for a half hour and that was that. At one point he brought one of his children, a toddler, out on stage and had him say WHAT into the mic. Then he died 2 years later.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

People seem to only have two opinions of Dylan: it's either the greatest or the absolute worst show ever. No middle ground lol

I have never heard anyone my age say they have been to a good Dylan show lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

oh yeah another top-tier one was Secret Chiefs 3, we got there way early and watched Trey Spruance put on a clinic for 40 minutes while he was tuning up. Atomic Ape opened and were great, and then SC3 killed

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Skeleton Ape posted:

Also I finally got to see the Melvins on their tour with Red Kross pre-covid. Buzz is a force of nature

I saw them when Big Business was officially part of the band and it was :discourse:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I went to Ozzfest 2004 and Priest's set before Sabbath was super great, Rob Halford was wearing a mirrored robe and kept disappearing and reappearing through a bunch of stage elevators, and came out for an encore on a giant bike in his leather. They played Painkiller and it was awesome. Sabbath were already too drat old at that point, but I'm glad I got to see them. Opted out of seeing Heaven and Hell a few years later because, "eh, I'll get another chance," and then Dio died immediately after, because I am a loving moron.

I also saw Opeth at the Gigantour they played and both Opeth and Megadeth were great that year, but Megadeth came on an hour late and Dave's immaculate, unmoving hair said everything there was to know about the delay. That was also the show where a very drunk man raised his two beers high in the air screaming OOOOOOOTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP, and then about 5 minutes into Opeth screamed THIS ISN'T FUCKIN OTEP, threw his beers on the lawn and left the show. Out of the two times I saw Opeth, they were definitely better at the Watershed tour at a smaller venue, but that was the aforementioned High on Fire show that's one of the worst I've ever seen because of how hosed up Matt was that night. Little did I know I was watching my eventual favorite band just loving blow it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen at a concert, outside of DMX preaching for half his set.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Best concert I've been to since live music resumed was on 4/20 this year, here's a picture

That bass is loving gigantic lmao

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Planet X posted:

Hell yeah. I saw them a while back. Before they went on, there was a picture of Iommi projected on the stage backdrop that said DEITY :420:

Adjacent to Sleep, I saw Shrinebuilder when they toured, that was pretty great

man, I wish. Reminds me of a quote from Wino about the future of Shrinebuilder, a band I very much want to see perform live: "Cisneros is insane so Shrinebuilder is not going to happen." I've met Al a few times when I was a roadie/drum tech for a local band my buddy was in for 7 years, cuz he lives in Rio Rancho at least part-time cuz his wife was at UNM, and he's a cool dude, but yeah.

I've seen Sleep at the Sunshine theater, Launchpad, and El Rey theater (that's where the show this year was) and every time, ESPECIALLY the Launchpad show (Launchpad is a very, very, very small venue, my buddy and I stood on the balcony and were like 30 feet from the pit) it just feels like, "a warrior, a wizard and a bard come into a tavern and set up amplifiers and drums."

Gonna go see Om at Sister on Oct 15, haven't seen them in a while and that should be killer, Al loves playing at Sister for some reason.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

surf rock posted:

edit: and if Daft Punk ever reunites they're very high on my gotta-see list
my girlfriend and I were talking about that yesterday because after Om she's gonna "make" me go see Bassnectar

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I got my glasses knocked off in a pit at a Corporate Avenger concert I went to with my juggalo buddies when I was 14, that's my best pit story because I learned about pits and me that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol an eighth of good shrooms is perfect for personal use if you're trying to go heavy as gently caress, and it sounds like that's what you did to yourself! Also that sounds like a loving killer concert, I would love to go see 3 tours line up on coincidence, especially those ones.

Glad you got to see HoF during the Snakes tour while tripping your balls off, though, that sounds dope.

That opener for Opeth was the only bad show I've ever seen Matt play between all the times I've seen Sleep and HoF, but man was he ever drunk as gently caress and was it ever bad.

Saw Mastodon on the Leviathan tour, snuck into a 21+ show at age 20 even, and that was sweet as hell.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 20, 2022