Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This is a travesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

gaming boomers ftw :woop:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Let me be the first to vote for eventual winner

Kraftwerk posted:

This year definitely did it for me. Whenever I look back at my fondest gaming memories, [year] takes the crown by far.

Rappaport posted:

But come on. Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate were amazing at the time, and especially BG was pretty :eyepop: with its beautiful hand-drawn maps and spiffy sprite dudes and dudettes :3: I had played Fallout 1 quite a bit right after it came out, but 2 just had more of everything, in good and ill.

Then there was Half-life, and everyone who was there knows why it was a big deal.

Big Bizness posted:

Look at this list of games, come on. Massively innovative and beloved titles that established the benchmarks for multiple genres for the next 2 decades of gaming. Am I really the first person to mention OoT? It established not only the 3D Zelda formula for the next 20 years, but action adventure games in general. Z-targeting, hello? Half-Life redefined the FPS in the same way, as did many of these other titles. Even the ones that weren't super innovative were extremely top notch.

Rarity posted:

They weren’t the only ones giving great stories as Xenogears (9) combined JRPGs with classic mech fiction but they would be overshadowed by another mech as Hideo Kojima returned from years in the wilderness with Metal Gear Solid (10), which blurred the lines between movie and video game. Yes it was a great time to be a gamer and it showed no signs of slowing down.

Budzilla posted:

...there are other games from that year which aren't getting mentioned or enough love
-Falcon 4.0 the undisputed study sim of fighter aircraft to this day, originally released with a phone book of a game manual. While it was a realistic F-16 simulator it had a dynamic campaign engine so that nothing would play out the same. The source code was leaked a few years after release which means there are some very dedicated people out there keeping the game relevant with updates
-Motocross Madness, this game owns bones. Easily the best of the 90s Madness games from Microsoft.
-Grand Prix Legends a crash simulator when F1 cars were cigar tubes
-Carmageddon 2 another crash simulator
-Unreal and SiN. The latter is largely forgotten and Unreal is only remembered because it's the engine that powers every game and probably reality in a few years time. 1998 was the year of the Half Life juggernaut and the important effects HL's design changed shooters. But Sin was an exceptional game (after it was patched to 1.1) and stepping out of the Vortex Rikers for the first time to NyLeve's Falls is hard to explain with how good Unreal's graphics were at the time when compared to the competition.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

The heaviest hitting year of the Nintendo 64.

Escobarbarian posted:

...really was a fantastic year, huh?

60 points

What else could it have been? Coming in at first place with a whopping 60 points the official best year of gaming to date as determined by the Something Awful Video Games forum is none other than:

1998!!!!

Congratulations to the year of the stealth game, the year of Ocarina of Time, the year of StarCraft, of Starsiege: Tribes, the year of Xenogears, of Half-Life. A shining, brilliant diamond of a year whose glow still warms gaming to this day.

Thank you all for your votes, your posts, your enthusiasm, and your patience! Now let’s have a round of applause for our winner, and let’s look forward to even better years in the future.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fail year

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

we did it fridge! :sissies:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Really, just highlights how wide the field of gaming is that even though a lot of the Year of the Game's hallmarks don't resonate with me, I can't deny their impact. Congratulations to 1998!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
An acceptable outcome

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The only explanation is that the sample must not have been representative. Please poll better in future.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Deformed Church posted:

The only explanation is that the sample must not have been representative. Please poll better in future.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

when you think about it the real best gaming year is current year because you have access to all the previous years games

:hmmyes:

Thanks for the Harrow for arranging this excellent competition and the Real Winner: 2022.
Gaming is getting better all the time.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Now let's do it again but for mobile gaming

...Hey, where did everybody go?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

2000 not making the top 10?

We need a recount, clearly there were hanging chads involved

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_0-nW0eNq8

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

year is a goat, thread is a goat. thanks harrow and rarity, a good time as always! :love:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

good thread ty

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Will leave this up a while and then shuffle it off to the Goodmine at some point. Thanks for a great thread, Harrow.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

once 1998 is discounted due to old boomer goons being nostalgia clouded we can see 2017 takes its rightful number one place. congratulations 2017

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Thankyou for this thread Harrow.

I think it's good that 1998 and 2017 were given a chance to shine, 2004 is such a kind soul of a year it doesn't mind being third in the overall running, because it knows that deep down in all our hearts it, 2004, is the true #1 year of gaming

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

2004: the girl next door of gaming years

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

1998 is cool, as well :toot:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Excellent thread, cool countdown, good gaming.

Was happy to see 2018 make the top 10, and all sorts of great years there. Our #1 year includes Levelord, as does 96, he is the lord of levels.

1998 is a goat for anime as we know with Cowboy Bebop and whatnot too. And a nice year for movies. Good year for metal, had a Blind Guardian album. Good stuff folks.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have played more games from 1998 in 2022 than I played in 1998.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Stux posted:

once 1998 is discounted due to old boomer goons being nostalgia clouded we can see 2017 takes its rightful number one place. congratulations 2017

justice for 2017

(98's good too I guess)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Closing out the year with Xenogears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COeeht2-S5E&t=18s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

VideoGames posted:

I was broke as poo poo in '98 too