Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

2006 was the last year of the ps2 and the first full year of the xbox360. The only game that stands out to me is ff12.
Oblivion, Dead Rising and Gears of War also came out that year and were huge at the time, but I don't think they are that fondly remembered now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

also 2006: Bully, Twilight Princess, Okami, Resistance, Oblivion, Black, Kingdom Hearts II, Godhand

def not the strongest year, but some gems in there. i was traveling much of that year and have memory-holed most of it. but i remember getting a PS3 right away in 2007 and then having to wait until Warhawk released that summer for a reason to own it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Harrow posted:

A bit of trivia to perhaps spark some discussion: here is the list of years that received zero votes. The earliest year to receive any votes as 1982, so I'm listing any years between 1982 and 2022 that nobody voted for at all. They are:
<snip>

Lot of good years that didn't get recognition. My personal faves for those years:

1983 Bit too early for me...
1984 Tetris
1987 Sid Meier's Pirates! (Still GOAT), Punch-Out!!, Nethack
1988 Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 2, R.C. Pro AM
1990 The Secret of the Monkey Island, Super Mario World and Ducktales
1991 Monkey Island 2, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past and Another World.
2006 Guitar Hero 2 and... Okay this wasn't that good year.
2009 Skate 2, Dragon Age: Origins and Bayonetta
2014 Bayonetta 2 (Bought Wiiu just for this), Mario Kart 8 and Divinity: Original Sin.
2015 Witcher 3 (GOAT), Life is Strage and Just Cause 3.
2020 Cyberpunk 2077 (Another GOAT), Crusader Kings 3 and Ghost of Tsushima.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
2006 definitely felt like a weak year when I was doing my writeups

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

PC gaming was also in that weird pre-Steam* phase were devs pretty much stopped making PC games and only occasionally made really bad ports. I think I mostly just played WoW at the time, then I bought a 360 because the Wii was impossible to get at launch, which in retrospect was good decision.

*Steam existed, but it wasn't synonymous with playing games on a Personal Computer yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The countdown approaches! We'll be getting started in just under an hour, 11:00 a.m. Eastern. I'll be counting down the top ten years in their own posts, with a post for the honorable mentions. Before we do, a quick reminder about the scoring and a note on how ties will be handled.

Scoring
This is covered in the OP, but as a reminder:
  • A first-place vote is worth 5 points.
  • A second-place vote is worth 3 points.
  • A third-place vote is worth 1 point.
Years are ranked based on overall points.

Ties and Tiebreakers
When two or more years have the same number of overall points, I've attempted to break the tie. Here are the tiebreaker criteria:
  • If one year received more first-place votes, that year wins the tie.
  • If the tied years have the same number of first-place votes, the year with the most second-place votes wins the tie.
  • If the tie can't be broken--there are the same number of votes in each place and the same number of total points--the years will be rewarded a joint finish. For example, if the 4th and 5th years are tied, they will be awarded joint 4th place.
And that is all! We'll get started here in about 45 minutes with the honorable mentions, including any year that got votes but didn't make it into the top 10.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm not even awake yet and I'm bursting with excitement!

going back to bed :ninja:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
2000 let's gooooooooo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Glad that 1994 is the winner

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
:suspense::suspense::suspense::suspense::suspense::suspense::suspense:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here we go: our list of honorable mentions! Years in this post received votes and got points, but didn't crack the top 10. There are a lot of ties here that couldn't be broken, so expect to see a lot of joint finishes here, with big skips between the numbers as a result. I'll also include the total number of points each year (or group of years) received.

1 point

These were each listed as a third-place choice once each. Third-place squad!

3 points

Our only four-way tie!! One of these is the year I was born!

5 points

6 points

6 points

2010 and 2012 are tied in total points, but 2012 got a first-place vote, so it wins the tie.

8 points

9 points

This has been a really strong year for video games. I bet if we held this poll again in a few years, 2022 would do pretty well.

10 points

Surprised to see the year Doom released ranked so low, but maybe this forum just likes Doom 2 better.

11 points

Rarity posted:

2000 let's gooooooooo

Justice for Final Fantasy IX!!

12 points

13 points

14 points

I admit, I was pulling for 1982 to make it into the top 10, but it was just barely beaten out in total points.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
IT WAS SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN :negative:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I like your WordArt

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1998 let's gooooooooooooooo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Synthetic Hermit posted:

The bridge to the next generation begins.

Rarity posted:

But if while single-player was one thing and multiplayer was another, something new was brewing in the works. Something massive. The concept of MMOs had been around since the MUDs of the 80s but it was the release of Everquest (8) that brought the genre into prominence as its addictive grind kept gamers hooked for months.

Arrrthritis posted:

-Silent Hill
-Planescape: Torment
-Freespace 2
-Ape Escape
-Age of Empires 2
-Age of Wonders
-Heroes of Might and Magic 3
-Might and Magic 7
-Dungeon Keeper 2
-System Shock 2
-Shenmue

and last but not least
-Super Smash Bros.

15 points

Congratulations to 1999, starting out our top ten with a bang!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dat golden millennium tho

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh yay I'm gonna get those purpz quotes :neckbeard:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

love my purple quotez

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

DUSK - The triumphant return of the old-school shooter, with brilliant and twisting level design, fun thematic shifting, great gunplay, great speed, just on every level a game as good as the iD classics. Similarly, Project Warlock incorporates some of the best of the early FPS 'maze' era design with verrry slight roguelitey metaprogression in a combination I actually liked a lot rather than hating, which I wasn't expecting. Slick EGA vibes too.

Return of the Obra Dinn - One of the greatest detective games of all time, superbly crafted, all of the necessary information is available to the player if they are observant, fantastic aesthetic and vibe. Manages to weave in fantastical elements to the story without being cringeworthy like so many "hey, have you heard about.... Lovecraft?" horror titles.

. . .

Subnautica - My favorite survival/exploration game ever. A perfect and addictive gameplay loop, with a well designed world that expands to you as you grow in tech and knowledge. Just lovely.

Heavy Metal posted:

Such an incredible year for games!

. . .

Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami 2

. . .

Red Dead Redemption 2, hot drat I love that game.

. . .

Smash Bros Ultimate hit in December

Scarodactyl posted:

...it saw the release of our sponsor Raid : Shadow Legends
Use coupon code SCARODACTYL to get an exciting champion and 20% off your first purchase!

15 points

Just barely beating 1999 by having just one more first-place vote, 2018 comes in at #9!

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

IT WAS SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN :negative:

Goons hate science confirmed. :viggo:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Whizzing Wizard posted:

First of all, the games were good: Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, GoldenEye 007, Star Fox 64, Tomb Raider II, Ultima Online, PaRappa the Rapper, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Gran Turismo, Diablo, Grand Theft Auto, Dungeon Keeper, Jedi Knight, Fallout, Myth, Monkey Island 3, Crash Bandicoot 2.

imperiusdamian posted:

It gave us two of the most well known and influential games in PC gaming history (both of which sit in my personal top 5 of Greatest Games Ever) - the almighty Quake II the release of which basically drove the 3D graphics adapter market for the next three years, and of course Age of Empires.

Plus the first Grand Theft Auto. Almost forgot about that! How criminal of me.

Rarity posted:

A new generation of consoles may have taken over the market but the console wars showed no signs of slowing down.

17 points

But wait!!

wuggles posted:

My YOTG based purely on individual nostalgia...

Having a job and no bills was pretty great.

Budzilla posted:

...probably the strongest year for PC releases post-golden era

Mamkute posted:

The Nintendo Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 were picking up steam and showing spectacles in High Definition.

17 points

Our first unbreakable tie in the top 10! We have 1997 and 2007 sharing joint 7th place. Both of these years had the same number of total points and the same number of first-, second-, and third-place votes. 1997 definitely has my heart for Final Fantasy VII alone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2007 is interesting because 2006 was so notably awful. I think that's actually kind of a trend if you don't have great launch lineups with a new console and a lot of my favorite years like 1994 were the late years of generations

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

2007 is interesting because 2006 was so notably awful. I think that's actually kind of a trend if you don't have great launch lineups with a new console and a lot of my favorite years like 1994 were the late years of generations

One thing I noticed doing my posts is that each generation has a clear life cycle when it peaks in the middle once devs have worked out the hardware but before everyone starts prepping for the next console

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

1997 is such a special year, it has may heart...if not my fatal loins.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jossar posted:

I would like to give a shoutout to [year], but not for any of the great titans that year spawned. That year is one of the most important in the history of gaming, in my mind, for precisely the opposite reason.

For while browser based gaming had been on the internet for at least a year, if not several, it was the emergence of Macromedia Flash and the Internet Gaming Zone that really let them take off, both in terms of games being made and played like wildfire.

Tunicate posted:

A big year for 3d in games.

LordAdakos posted:

Do you like first person shooters?
You've got QUAKE.

. . .

How do you feel about 3D platformers set in a rich colorful world? Look no further than Super loving Mario 64.

. . .

Did you know Resident Evil came out that year too? And TOMB RAIDER?

. . .
POKEMON RED and BLUE. The OG Pokemon games came out in 1996.

IcePhoenix posted:

Super Mario RPG (the best Final Fantasy game)

24 points

And also!!!

Booky posted:

[this year] had some real cool games come out:
final fantasy 6 is a classic with some win music, majin tensei 1's probably not like, objectively good or anything but hell i got a old soft spot for it being a janky srpg and the first megaten spinoff plus the Vibes Own and i like the designs (still gotta finish it...!!), shin megami tensei 2 is a p nice game from the half i played of it (tho theres way too much backtracking and the neutral end is lame vs chaos or even law), and uhh i only played a bit of it so far but earthbound's pretty cool, a nice companion piece to smt1/2

Palmtree Panic posted:

Timeless masterpieces like Super Metroid, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, & Final Fantasy VI were released... This years represents the peak of the 16 bit era.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1) Doom II
2) Super Metroid
3) Earthbound
4) System Shock
5) XCOM
HMs: Sonic 3 + Knuckles, Donkey Kong Country, 2022 GOTY Live-A-Live, Final Fantasy III/VI

Feels Villeneuve posted:

glad we determined that the winner is 1994. Close thread

24 points

Another complete tie! We have two juggernaut years of the 1990s both blazing into 5th place: 1994 and 1996! We're reaching the point where scores are getting higher, too, as the first-place votes really start rolling in.

This is also our last tie. From here on out, each year gets its own place.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1998 and 2001 still in the running :blastu:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_3hLDQVZHE

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

...it ain't even close.

Grand Theft Auto III
Devil May Cry
Halo
Metal Gear Solid 2
The Sims

If we're talking game impact, GTA or Halo alone would cinch it. If we're talking game quality, these five alone makes the rest of this tournament a race for second, we even have a little game called The Sims to placate the casual demographic.

Jimlit posted:

The console war went nuclear

Synthetic Hermit posted:

The GameCube and the Xbox launched three days apart, with launch window games that immediately showed off how incredibly capable they were compared to the prior generation. It's easily the second biggest generational leap after 2D-to-3D.

Ms Adequate posted:

Basically, if a genre existed at the time, it almost certainly got a classic release this year

Heavy Metal posted:

MGS2, holy moly, legendary.

Rarity posted:

Final Fantasy X (10)

The Shortest Path posted:

What a hell of a year.

38 points

A lot of well-deserved love for 2001, which falls just barely outside of the top 3. As in, by a grand total of one point.

We're reaching the point in the countdown where any of these years could've been the winner. Just an absolute wealth of incredible games came out in our top 4 years.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

did not see that coming

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Epic tie for first place for 1994. What a year

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Turns out gaming really was best when I was 16 :hmmyes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

Halo 2: It's the best Halo. Maybe not my favourite, but it's the best.

Jokymi posted:

...the first year that came immediately to mind. The holiday season was absolutely packed, with Metal Gear Solid 3, GTA: San Andreas, Halo 2, and Metroid Prime 2 all releasing in a fairly short window.

. . .

...both World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XI released that year as well.

Tunicate posted:

...the beginning of our current flourishing indie game ecology. On one end of the scale, Half Life 2 was the first game published on Steam, turning what had been just Valve's automatic update client into an online marketplace, which ended up becoming THE online markeplace. This started tearing down the barriers to entry on game publication. On the opposite end of the spectrum we have Cave Story, a one-man freeware labor of love that showed how massively popular you could get without being attached to a big studio - and more than that, a hugely influential and charming game.

iTrust posted:

Halo 2
Sir, finishing this fight.

. . .

Half Life 2
Whatever, this game is whatever.

. . .

The Sims 2
Clean. Up. Your. Plates.

. . .

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Ah poo poo.

. . .

Numerous MMORPG's
Poop in the sock.

Ville Valo posted:

a bonkers year for gaming.

39 points

Just one point ahead of 2001 comes this “bonkers year for gaming”: 2004! I had a hard time picking which quotes to highlight because people brought up so many reasons for 2004’s ranking. I had to include some of iTrust’s excellent box arts, at the very least.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

halo 2 and half-life 2 in the same year, incredible

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i for sure thought 2001 had it

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Kind of surprised here, but I guess the numbers don't lie, even if science does.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jen X posted:

I think 1st has gotta go to [year], primarily on the strength of, y'know, everything.

Palmtree Panic posted:

An absolutely incredible year for gaming. The switch had an incredible line-up of games for its first year. Zelda BotW is the definitive game of this decade & a ground breaking title.

Notable games:
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Sonic Mania
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Resident Evil 7
Night in the Woods

Queer Salutations posted:

...but come on that year is just unfair.

Microcline posted:

Breath of the Wild, Hollow Knight, Night in the Woods, Opus Magnum, and Nier Automata, and Pyre.

Booky posted:

an objectively Ballin year

Escobarbarian posted:

...the best year ever for gaming. The Switch launched with one of the best first years for any console, including masterpieces such as Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2. There were some amazing indie games like Edith Finch, Night in the Woods, Hollow Knight, and Cuphead. And Horizon Zero Dawn, NieR Automata, and Titanfall 2 are fantastic. There was an Uncharted game! Battle royales were fun for a second! It was even the beginning of the Assassin’s Creed series re-unsucking for a second. Heck, if you were/spoke Japanese, you got a new Dragon Quest game! Truly a great time to be a gamer.

No Dignity posted:

the year of the modern classic

Stux posted:

nothing else comes close, and the idea anything does is laughable and fueled by nostalgia onne can only assume. god tier entries in long running series, genre creating and defining titles. games you would pick 100 times out of 10 over playing some 90s mess thhat couldnt even understand how a camera should work. truly the best yea rever.

wuggles posted:

Yeah, this stupid year is here.

47 points

And here we have what is probably my personal favorite year in gaming: 2017. Pyre. Persona 5. Breath of the Wild. Horizon Zero Dawn. Prey. Cuphead. Hollow Knight.

What an absolutely beautiful, insane year for gaming.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

holy poo poo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1998 fuckin did it :toot:

2004 is overrated as hell

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004