Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s a good idea I’ll also do my vote with a top 5.

1st - 2017
1) Zelda Breath of the Wild
2) Mario Odyssey
3) Nier Automata
4) Hollow Knight
5) Sonic Mania

2nd - 2004
1) Pikmin 2
2) Paper Mario 2
3) Ninja Gaiden
4) Katamari Damacy
5) Burnout 3

3rd - 2019
1) Sekiro
2) Devil May Cry V
3) Mario Maker 2
4) Death Stranding
5) Astral Chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
2001 and it ain't even close.

Grand Theft Auto III
Devil May Cry
Halo
Metal Gear Solid 2
The Sims

If we're talking game impact, GTA or Halo alone would cinch it. If we're talking game quality, these five alone makes the rest of this tournament a race for second, we even have a little game called The Sims to placate the casual demographic.

However, beyond the top 5, look at the following list of games that came out IN A SINGLE YEAR and tell me this wasn't an embarrassment of riches:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Twisted Metal Black
ICO
Jak and Daxter
Rogue Squadron II
Max Payne
NBA Street
Pikmin
Shenmue II
Silent Hill 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Oni
Phantasy Star Online
Zone of the Enders
Crazy Taxi (PS2) and Crazy Taxi 2 (DC)
Red Faction
Project Gotham Racing
Dead or Alive 3
Luigi's Mansion
Smash Bros Melee
Gran Turismo 3
Onimusha
Final Fantasy X

Some of these games don't hold up well today, 21 years later. Red Faction, for example, had a great gimmick for a system that was low on titles (but not for long holy poo poo) but is just passable today.

Also, while the top 5 is the Mount Rushmore +1 of the last 25 years of game design, you may not like some of these games. Not a lot of people are smart enough to realize that Oni was a stone cold classic for instance, and I didn't have the patience for the boring life simulator that was Shenmue II.

But this list of games doesn't even encompass everything from that year. We got Time Crisis 2 on PS2. They were still pumping out bangers like Paper Mario and Conker for the N64.

Oh and I guess the Game Boy Advance came out and gave the world access to a Super Nintendo in your pocket, no big deal or anything.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Rarity posted:

I've run the numbers and wow it turns out the best year for video games was the year when you were 16, what a result

I turned 16 in 1998 so you're actually correct! The next few years after that were absolutely killer too, before the dark ages began with the launch of the PS3.

bloodysabbath posted:

we even have a little game called The Sims to placate the casual demographic.

The Sims was 2000, which was a better gaming year than 2001 overall. Deus Ex, Diablo 2, THPS2, Thief 2, NOLF, Baldur's Gate 2, lots of great stuff.

Adam Bowen fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 9, 2022

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
2004 is the first year that came immediately to mind. The holiday season was absolutely packed, with Metal Gear Solid 3, GTA: San Andreas, Halo 2, and Metroid Prime 2 all releasing in a fairly short window.

Earlier in the year were quite a few other notable titles, including: Half Life 2, Ninja Gaiden (Xbox), Katamari Damacy, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, as well as other entries in both the Metroid and MGS series (Zero Mission and Twin Snakes respectively)

A couple of my personal favorites also released that year: Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction.

I'm not into MMORPGs myself, but both World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XI released that year as well.

Finally, 2004 saw the release of the Nintendo DS. It was initially met with skepticism but eventually went on to become the second highest selling piece of videogame hardware ever released behind only the PS2.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
This thread tickles people's nostalgia glands, so into this list of great years, I'm going to nominate 1982. I'm biased because of my favorite computer games, but it was Atar's best year (before it all went to poo poo), and the arcades had some memorable, timeless classics

Computer Games
-Choplifter (Apple II)
-Dungeons of Daggorath, one of my all-time favorites, was released for the TRS-80. A first-person real-time RPG ala Eye of the Beholder, you say?
-Microsoft Flight Simulator (MS-DOS)
-Ultima II (Apple II)
-Wizardry II

Atari 2600 Games
-Haunted House
-Pitfall
-Yar's Revenge

Arcade Games
-Dig Dug
-Donkey Kong Jr
-Joust
-Millipide
-Pole Position
-Q*bert
-Robotron 2064
-Sinistar
-Tron
-Tutankham
-Zaxxon

1982 was also the year the Commodore 64 came out, which sold like gangbusters and would amass a ridiculously huge library of games on its own

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Do we need a rule for release dates? I'm asking because in the past, there was sometimes huge gaps between the regions in that regard. SMB 3 for example was released 2 years after its JP releases in America and almost another year later in Europe.
Someone mentioned Ridge Racer as a 94 game and that's technically true, but for most of the world it came out in 95.
For me personally the two big ones are Mario 64 that was released in Europe in 97 and MGS that came to the EU in 99.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i would simply cheat with the release dates to make your selection look as good as possible

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My gut feeling is that making a fair rule about release dates would be kind of complicated. I'd want to say "when the game is available to most people" would be a good guideline for what year to use, but sometimes there's a pretty big gap, or a game comes out in Japan and the US but not the EU for a long time (or Japan and EU but not the US, in Xenoblade's case), or things like that, and it all just gets fuzzy. Or games that are really good and important but didn't get an international release for decades (for example Live A Live) would be really hard to actually list.

I'd just ask that people not cheat release dates too egregiously. Like I wouldn't attribute Chrono Trigger to 2009 because that's when it finally got an official release in Europe, for example.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i cheated by using the JP release date of Dragon Quest XI and the EN release date of Yakuza 0 for the same year and i will not apologize

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh also! So far I think only wuggles has done this, but if people want to write any blurbs and/or paragraphs about why the games listed for a given year are good/important/influential/etc. that would be cool! That's what I plan to do (and why my post is probably going to take a while). It's not required in the rules but it would probably spark more discussion.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wrote something up generally for 1994 but i should do so for the other years it's just that unlike 1994's roster of incredibly influential games, i have problems coming up with anything but "wow! lots of good games!"

that said Riven is absolutely the best puzzle-adventure game ever made and i badly want a port, but they lost the original CGI art assets apparently

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

My gut feeling is that making a fair rule about release dates would be kind of complicated. I'd want to say "when the game is available to most people" would be a good guideline for what year to use, but sometimes there's a pretty big gap, or a game comes out in Japan and the US but not the EU for a long time (or Japan and EU but not the US, in Xenoblade's case), or things like that, and it all just gets fuzzy. Or games that are really good and important but didn't get an international release for decades (for example Live A Live) would be really hard to actually list.

I'd just ask that people not cheat release dates too egregiously. Like I wouldn't attribute Chrono Trigger to 2009 because that's when it finally got an official release in Europe, for example.

i would 😈

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ok harrow I put my 2nd and 3rd place lists in

Everyone not reading the posts: vote for three years, not just one!

Harrow, I think you should update the OP too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wuggles posted:

Harrow, I think you should update the OP too

I updated it yesterday!

Harrow posted:

1. You may vote for up to three calendar years. Your post (or posts) can include a first, second, and third-place vote. Your first-place year will get 5 points; your second will get 3 points; your third will get 1 point. You do not have to use all three votes--if you want to vote for just one year, or two, that's totally fine. If you do include more than one year, please make it clear which is your first, second, and third choice or I won't be able to count your votes!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Harrow posted:

I updated it yesterday!

oh sorry, I skimmed and didn't see that

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

1. 1997

First of all, the games were good: Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, GoldenEye 007, Star Fox 64, Tomb Raider II, Ultima Online, PaRappa the Rapper, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Gran Turismo, Diablo, Grand Theft Auto, Dungeon Keeper, Jedi Knight, Fallout, Myth, Monkey Island 3, Crash Bandicoot 2.

And that's not even all of the good ones. They released a lot of games back then,

As for the period, the Playstation was really hitting its stride at this point, and this was indeed the year I got one. Other than that, the N64 was finally released in Europe along with Mario 64 and the Saturn was still not officially dead, meaning there were 3 very different consoles on the market with exclusive games for each. In addition to that, the GameBoy Pocket and the JP release of Pokemon meant that system got a second wind after an impressive 8 years on the market.
The PC too was going trough a major change. We were finally more or less done with the FMV multidisc era and 3D graphics were beginning to become mainstream thanks to popularity of Voodoo Graphics, Quake got a GL mode this year and Quake 2 came out with full support later in the year (colored lights!)

2. 2002

Read a post about 2002 and it reminded me off all the great games from that year. The most important ones for me were Medal of Honor Allied Assault which I think was the first online shooter I got really into. I played that game every day after school while chatting with my friend on the cordless phone which I was able to do since we had recently gotten lightning fast* ADSL in the house.
Another big one was Morrowind, which just blew my mind. The graphics and atmosphere were unlike anything I could compare it to and I'd argue that no game has ever been able to create such a distinct and weirdly alien sense of space as Morrowind did, the lackluster attempts in later Elder Scrolls games certainly did not.
Medieval Total War was released this year, as well as Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege.

In addition to those two, this was also the year I got a PS2 for cheap since the guy I bought it from was saving for a Gamecube if I remember correctly. Anyway, 2002 was the year that both Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 2 finally got released in PAL regions, so I'm counting those two as 2002 games. They're both among my all time favourites even though FFX had massive black bars around the screen and ran slower than the NTSC version.

I did not have a Gamecube or and Xbox, but Metroid Prime, Windwaker, Mario Sunshine came out this year as well as Segas first post-Dreamcast games such Jet Set Radio Future and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

All in all a wild year for consoles. The final batch of Dreamcast games got released and the Xbox debuted worldwide after a November release in the US, and the Gamecube came to Europe as well. PC games were still very much their own thing, but Morrowind being ported to Xbox marked the beginning of a dark chapter of PC games being developed to fit onto consoles.

3. 1982

Dig Dug! Mr. Do!!

But most importantly: ROBOTRON 2084!
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CourteousDiscreteCaracal-mobile.mp4

bone emulator fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 4, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gonna go with 2003 as my #1 just because its the year Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne released and took over my life until about 2012, and I'll jam in all the other notable releases to help justify that.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Call of Duty
Tony Hawk's Underground
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire (American/European release)

We got a few beloved classics, the best Tony Hawk game (gently caress Eric Sparrow), and the start of the juggernaut franchise Call of Duty. I don't see how anyone could argue this as anything less than the greatest year gaming has ever seen.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's hard to gauge the Impact more recent games will have, imo it is only fair to completely remove Impact as a marker of year quality

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Impact is just one of many things to consider. Nobody has to follow the criteria in the OP--like I said, the criteria you use are ultimately up to use. Those are just some questions to get the thinkin'-wheels turning.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

It's hard to gauge the Impact more recent games will have, imo it is only fair to completely remove Impact as a marker of year quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jay Rust posted:

yo this isnt science homes, this is about yelling loud

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

leap years have an advantage over non-leap years too

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drat skippy :colbert:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is much harder than a typical GotY list! So much research to be done

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1947 was a banner year

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Realtalk: I am considering putting together a mathematical matrix to divulge my legitimate YotG

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yes, I am ready for Mathpost

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

more recent years tend to have more Ps, and are thewrefore scientifically better

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

more recent years tend to have more Ps, and are thewrefore scientifically better

2008 is the winner for having exactly 1000 Ps

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

Realtalk: I am considering putting together a mathematical matrix to divulge my legitimate YotG

as long as crucial resources typically allotted for GotY (goat-ee) are not impacted by development of YotG (yoh-tig) infrastructure i'm beanpolepeckerwood and i approve this message

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
we're all thanking you beanpolepeckerwood for this message

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it was the least i could do with the allotted funding and patronage apparatus at my disposal and despite acknowledged voting and posting graft that might historically be attributed to my videogaming character nonetheless side effects may include:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Realtalk how did you guys even get started with your lists, did you pick a game you liked and then looked up other games that came out that year?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Realtalk how did you guys even get started with your lists, did you pick a game you liked and then looked up other games that came out that year?

If you don't know what other events or releases happened in a year that's otherwise significant to you type "[year] in video games" into wikipedia and you'll usually at least get a breakdown of released titles

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jay Rust posted:

Felt it in my soul

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i had thought about this before so 1994 and 2017 were already the two off the top of my head

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
yeah my first thought was 1994 and i'm sticking with it

- Donkey Kong Country
- Super Metroid
- FFIII
- Killer Instinct
- Tekken
- Warcraft
- TIE Fighter
- Earthbound
- Doom II

Sherbert Hoover fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 9, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it was the least i could do with the allotted funding and patronage apparatus at my disposal and despite acknowledged voting and posting graft that might historically be attributed to my videogaming character nonetheless side effects may include:

The previous Labour government had diverted lots of funds to GotY development but I reallocated those funds to YotG areas where they belong

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sherbert Hoover posted:

yeah my first thought was 1994 and i'm sticking with it

Remember that if you want your vote to count, you have to write something about the year (or years) you're voting for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

The previous Labour government had diverted lots of funds to GotY development but I reallocated those funds to YotG areas where they belong

as you are extremely gamerous i trust in your pristine judgement may yohtig bless this posting crop with her many fruiting video baubles amen