Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They are also literally superstitious, John Carter couldn't be Of Mars because Mission to Mars and Mars Needs Moms had bombed, and obviously the problem was audiences don't like movies with Mars in the title. They don't like movies with question marks in the title either, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's vaguely interesting how many of Disney's bombs of that particular era (John Carter, Treasure Planet, Atlantis) along with the ones from DreamWorks (El Dorado, Sinbad) were throwbacks to these old school pulp fantasies. Maybe it's part of a more general trend and I'm overthinking it, but it feels like audiences didn't have as much of a taste for that type of stories as much as studios anticipated anymore, at least not in this format.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It's a shame because Treasure Planet is an amazing film. It's definitely trying to ride Titan AE's coattails, which is in itself a great sci-fi animated film that got panned by critics.

Just a loving shame because those films are far more creative than Disney's "live action remakes" of past films.

I never saw Sinbad, but I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole of video commentaries on storytelling. One of them was about Sinbad, and it's pretty wild how tumultuous its development was and that the original director had a different story he wanted to tell. I'm so frustrated that I can't find it now. It was really interesting, and I have been meaning to check Sinbad out because of it. Your post just reminded me that it's another film on my to-watch list.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

YaketySass posted:

It's vaguely interesting how many of Disney's bombs of that particular era (John Carter, Treasure Planet, Atlantis) along with the ones from DreamWorks (El Dorado, Sinbad) were throwbacks to these old school pulp fantasies. Maybe it's part of a more general trend and I'm overthinking it, but it feels like audiences didn't have as much of a taste for that type of stories as much as studios anticipated anymore, at least not in this format.

Throw Dial of Destiny on the pile as well. Indiana Jones was always based on the pulp serials, never more obviously than in Last Crusade where the tank goes over the cliff. Now I do like pulp, but it mustn't be forgotten that the genre was created as cheap disposable entertainment. It was never meant to stand the test of time or be great art.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Raiders is a fine piece of art that’s stood the rest of time. It’s pretty much a perfect film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

Raiders is a fine piece of art that’s stood the rest of time. It’s pretty much a perfect film.

The 1999 Brendan Fraser The Mummy film was also a great pulp movie, and I'll throw the '91 Rocketeer onto that pile as well. The common feature of all of them is that they're period pieces set in the 1920s-30s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

YaketySass posted:

John Carter was later of course but for Treasure Planet/etc., I think they would have been hits if they released a couple of years after that 2000-2001 wave of Gladiator/X-Men/Lord of the Rings/Sorcerer's Stone and during/just after.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Marvels made 197 million (80 million domestic) against a 275 million budget. That is a literal
200 million dollar bomb. They have already produced one of the biggest flops of all time.

As i said, many of them flopping. The Marvels had some uniquely bad circumstances (endlessly reshot and recut, exceptionally poorly reviewed, and so on) and an insane budget. They'll get decent returns if they apply some budget discipline. But they won't because history is full of very successful people who did not understand their own success and why should the MCU be an exception?

The interesting thing to me is that there's now a rough consensus among fans that the recent MCU movies have been bad, with Quantamania being a notably bad film. I actually saw that one. My wife put it on in the background while I was painting miniatures because I'm extremely cool. It seemed...fine. Just like all the other MCU films. It was fine. It wasn't bad, or especially good. It was fine. I don't think there has been any real quantum shift in the quality of films. It's something harder to nail down, some sense of credibility or movie magic. The same trick just doesn't work like it used. Like how, after a decade of ww2 first person shooters dominating the industry, they suddenly stopped selling well without the games getting any worse. It's just worked too well for too long.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Comic book movies are dead

Bury them

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Comic movies are back on the menu.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hollismason posted:

Comic movies are back on the menu.

I knew I shouldn't unbookmark this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

We've only got one day to raise $10,000 or old man Machete is going to shut down the rec center CBM thread

oh poo poo that's the wrong genre uhhhh

There's a giant blue beam that's going to destroy the CBM thread unless we get the macguffin to the reactor core, but there are a bunch of dark versions of every poster guarding the path. We have to put aside our petty squabbles about MCU quips and professional wrestler casting and come together as a team if we want to save the day

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You care about your posters....That makes you weak.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finally, the Ghost World posting I crave

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX_wprkggoE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Like the MCU movies this thread has diminishing returns. We'll check back again in 1 year to see if things have changed . ( They will not have)

Comic book movies are dead.