Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Franchescanado posted:

2b) Don't act like an actress's breasts are a separate person. Don't obsess over whether a woman's body is "right" to play a superhero. Don't say that women could stand to lose a few pounds. Make ironic sexist remarks at your own risk. It's all basic simple stuff. (Don't tell us what you masturbate to.) If you want to say how good-looking an actress or actor is, go ahead, but don't be a creep about it, and at least try to have something else more substantial to contribute to the discussion.

2c) Don't be racist.

2d) Don't be hostile towards anyone in the LGBQT+ community.

I didn't plan on making a new Comic Book Movie thread this early, but some posters have gone out of their way to be so lovely it was warranted.

In the previous issue, Disney announced 85 million new Marvel projects while Warner Bros. Discovery announced they had a new, 10-year plan in the works while scrapping a whole mess of DC projects that, to be honest, I wasn't all that jazzed about. With movies 'back', the question is whether or not the cape flick will still rule the roost at the box office - as of this post, Top Gun: Maverick is the #1 overall gross leader for the United States this year, $200 million clear of the next movie. Here's what you can look forward to arguing about :

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - May 5, 2023
The Marvels - November 10, 2023
Deadpool 3 - July 26, 2024
Captain America: Brave New World - February 14, 2025
Fantastic Four - May 2, 2025
Thunderbolts - July 25, 2025
Blade - November 7, 2025
Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - May 1, 2026
Avengers: Secret Wars - May 7, 2027

DC Extended Universe

The Flash - June 16, 2023
Blue Beetle - August 18, 2023
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - December 20, 2023
Superman: Legacy - July 11, 2025

Sony's Spider-Man Universe

Madame Web - February 14, 2024
Kraven the Hunter - August 30, 2024
Third Venom film - November 8, 2024
El Muerto - TBD
Nightwatch - TBD
Sinister Six - TBD

Valiant Cinematic Universe (yes, these are still in development)

Harbinger - TBD
Harbinger sequel - TBD
Bloodshot sequel - TBD
Harbinger Wars - TBD
Archer & Armstrong - TBD
Shadowman - TBD

Others

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - June 2, 2023
Spider-Man: Behind the Spider-Verse - March 27, 2024
Joker: Folie à Deux - October 4, 2024
The Batman - Part II - October 3, 2025
Rising Stars - TBD
Spawn reboot - TBD
Birthright - TBD

If I missed anything, please tell me and I'll add it to the OP.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Edward Mass posted:

Madame Web - October 6, 2023

Wait, what the gently caress?
this feels even more random than Morbius

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
When are we going to get a Steel reboot? Or is that movie considered too perfect to remake?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd be down with another STEEL movie, doubly so if they let Shaq do it. Triply if they also let him pick the music.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

He has to fight kazam, he's a strong enough actor he can pull it off

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Augus posted:

El Muerto starring Bad Bunny is funnier, on a level of a 30 Rock gag

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bogus Adventure posted:

When are we going to get a Steel reboot? Or is that movie considered too perfect to remake?

I mean the ideal time would have been between BvS and Justice League but I suppose they could still manage.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Make a live action Injustice movie.

Do it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
neil blomkamp's Steel

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Augus posted:

Morbius I can kinda get why someone thought you could base a movie around. Marvel vampire, has a small cult following in comics. Madame Web is like really deep in Spider-Man lore. But Sony still wants to make a play for Spidey's IP I guess?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm sorry, y'all. The Madame Web movie is my fault. I made a joke about wanting it while Morbius was in production, and because we live in hell that joke came true.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Augus posted:

They cast Dakota Johnson (from 50 Shades of Gray) as Madame Web and she is going to be "a sexy super spy whose clairvoyant abilities allow her to see into the 'Spider World' to aid her."

So, it is going to be a potentially very weird "reimagining" of Madame Web and not a movie about a elderly inter-dimensional demon.

Edit: I didn't even know this before, but this is basically the most unintentionally damning sentence you can read about a movie:

quote:

S.J. Clarkson (The Defenders) is directing Madame Web from a screenplay by Morbius scribes Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 12, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh no
Noooooooo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
This reads exactly like those pitches they had in those leaks, for Silver Fox and whatnot. Amazing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
We're already living in a post-leaks parody world, since Pennyworth is essentially the same thing as that Aunt May spy movie.

Speaking of, can someone hack a major studio again, please? Maybe a streaming service this time? I want to see the ludicrous ideas Netflix executives have had over the past few years, and all the terrible powerpoints that led them to make their worst decisions.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They used Jonah Hill’s classic “clean rad and powerful” line in Barry and it was all the better for it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In defense (maybe?) of Madame Web, the rumor is that her "clairvoyant ability to look in to the spider world" ends up being something that summons female versions of Spider-Man characters/Spider-Women to her world to help her.

So, it is Spider-Gwen and a bunch of Jessica Drew clones/variants + a sexy super spy with clairvoyant powers. Which does sound like a lazy "Girl Power!" version of Into The Spider-Verse or No Way Home, but also does at least make it more of a Spider-Man-adjacent movie than one just about a sexy psychic super spy.

There is no actual confirmation of that rumor, though. But, it has been going around for a while.

Grendels Dad posted:

This reads exactly like those pitches they had in those leaks, for Silver Fox and whatnot. Amazing.

Oh my god. Was the Aunt May solo movie where she is a sexy super spy set in the past actually called "Silver Fox" or is that a different one of the 30+ Spiderverse movies that Sony greenlit and then cancelled?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 12, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Still want to see Aunt May as carnage like IMDB promised

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Whenever I hear "Silver Fox", all I can picture is Anderson Cooper as a super hero, fighting bad guys.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

So, it is Spider-Gwen and a bunch of Jessica Drew clones/variants + a sexy super spy with clairvoyant powers. Which does sound like a lazy "Girl Power!" version of Into The Spider-Verse or No Way Home, but also does at least make it more of a Spider-Man-adjacent movie than one just about a sexy psychic super spy.

There is no actual confirmation of that rumor, though. But, it has been going around for a while.

I think Sony has the other Spider-Women but not Jessica Drew. The cast announced so far seems pretty good; Dakota Johnson, Emma Roberts, Zosia Mamet, Isabel Macredi and Adam Scott.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There are actual plans for a Rising Stars movie? That's going to be weird, and also six hours long.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gonz posted:

Make a live action Injustice movie.

Do it.

The plan for the JL sequels was basically Mad Max meets Injustice. Darkseid fries a pregnant Lois with his omega beams and the ensuing grief makes superman vulnerable to brainwashing from the anti-life equation, leading to the knightmare future that Batman saw.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McCloud posted:

The plan for the JL sequels was basically Mad Max meets Injustice. Darkseid fries a pregnant Lois with his omega beams and the ensuing grief makes superman vulnerable to brainwashing from the anti-life equation, leading to the knightmare future that Batman saw.

Imagine this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K20x3mFhZs

But Batman is Max and Joker is Furiosa.

:allears:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

Imagine this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K20x3mFhZs

But Batman is Max and Joker is Furiosa.

:allears:

It's insane how WB had what is probably the most creative and fresh idea in comic book films in recent history and just pissed it away. Mad Max Batman gathering a misfit crew for a heist to travel back in time, and they said No to that. Boggles the mind

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Friends, I'm sad to report.... comic book movies are bad.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

McCloud posted:

It's insane how WB had what is probably the most creative and fresh idea in comic book films in recent history and just pissed it away. Mad Max Batman gathering a misfit crew for a heist to travel back in time, and they said No to that. Boggles the mind

That might be part of the problem. I think there's a weird perception that whatever the most recent version of a story is, is the "real" one, and the others are no longer valid. Like with Nolan's Batman movies, they "erased" Schumacher's take on the character like it was some kind of Crisis reboot. It happens with other reboots/remakes as well - like people acting as if the 2016 Ghostbusters movie somehow "destroyed" the originals.

So when you compare against the MCU, where the movies are a safe "greatest hits" of 40 years of comic book history, Snyder basing his take on a trailer for an MMORPG that's not even "real" within the context of the game seems like a really bizarre direction to go. It doesn't matter that there will definitely be other Justice League movies made by other filmmakers down the line, and it doesn't matter that there's decades of comics, cartoons, and video games if you want a more "traditional" story - the movies are the most expensive and the most recent, so there's some expectation that they will "count" more than the other versions of the characters.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Even the film TimeCop starring Jean-Claude Van Damme?!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mordiceius posted:

I hate you for your doctrine. Shut up!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

theironjef posted:

I hate you for your doctrine. Shut up!!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gal Gadot 4:16

Robot Style posted:

So when you compare against the MCU, where the movies are a safe "greatest hits" of 40 years of comic book history

Speaking of this, I didn't realize until not too long ago that a lot of big MCU things were based on comics that weren't really that old. Civil War, Bucky as the Winter Soldier, the Ta-Nehisi Coates run on Black Panther, probably others I'm forgetting.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, in recent years it seems more and more like the comics are just there to develop rough drafts for potential movie scripts. They're still digging into classic stuff like Secret Wars, but the tail is definitely wagging the dog when it comes to comic storylines.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, in recent years it seems more and more like the comics are just there to develop rough drafts for potential movie scripts. They're still digging into classic stuff like Secret Wars, but the tail is definitely wagging the dog when it comes to comic storylines.

I think you are thinking about the wrong Secret Wars (i.e. the one with Black Suit Spider-Man from 1985). They are going to do the *other* Secret Wars (the one with the multiverse) which came out in 2015/2016.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Chairman Capone posted:

Gal Gadot 4:16

Speaking of this, I didn't realize until not too long ago that a lot of big MCU things were based on comics that weren't really that old. Civil War, Bucky as the Winter Soldier, the Ta-Nehisi Coates run on Black Panther, probably others I'm forgetting.

Yeah, i think the oldest full storyline based on comics was Infinity war from the 90s? All the Thor movies reference older comics, but I dont think you can say the movies themselves are based on them.

Iron man 2 is maybe kinda based around Demon In The Bottle, which I think is 80s.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Klungar posted:

I think you are thinking about the wrong Secret Wars (i.e. the one with Black Suit Spider-Man from 1985). They are going to do the *other* Secret Wars (the one with the multiverse) which came out in 2015/2016.
This is genuinely baffling to me.

Like, the original was designed to sell toys and the second was designed to sell comic books so I guess it makes some kind of sense, but still.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think Sony has the other Spider-Women but not Jessica Drew. The cast announced so far seems pretty good; Dakota Johnson, Emma Roberts, Zosia Mamet, Isabel Macredi

Meh---

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

and Adam Scott.

You have my attention

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Upsidads posted:

He has to fight kazam, he's a strong enough actor he can pull it off

This would own so hard

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think Sony has the other Spider-Women but not Jessica Drew. The cast announced so far seems pretty good; Dakota Johnson, Emma Roberts, Zosia Mamet, Isabel Macredi and Adam Scott.

Nope, they're just using her somewhere else. She's been cast (Issa Rae) in the Sony-made Spiderverse sequels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feedmyleg posted:

We're already living in a post-leaks parody world, since Pennyworth is essentially the same thing as that Aunt May spy movie.

Speaking of, can someone hack a major studio again, please? Maybe a streaming service this time? I want to see the ludicrous ideas Netflix executives have had over the past few years, and all the terrible powerpoints that led them to make their worst decisions.

Pennyworth could work just fine if you actually lean into the craziness of the DC universe, maybe have him run into the League of Assassins. Him being basically proto-Batman would actually, y'know, fit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Yeah, i think the oldest full storyline based on comics was Infinity war from the 90s? All the Thor movies reference older comics, but I dont think you can say the movies themselves are based on them.

Iron man 2 is maybe kinda based around Demon In The Bottle, which I think is 80s.

Close enough - it started in 1979. Nearly everything is post-2000 though. Cap's arc up to the death of Peggy Carter is basically The Ultimates. Professor Hulk is 2000 (and actually predates the Sakaar stuff), Extremis is from round about the same time as Planet Hulk, the introduction of the Winter Soldier and Civil War. The only other thing I can think of that was 1980s vintage is the version of the Stand at Gjallerbru in Ragnarok.

However, they do seem to be looking back at least a little now. Daredevil: Born Again is 1980s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the best comic book movie of all time and it's not even close.