Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Look out! Hey!
It's AKIRA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fsmhunk posted:

The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the best comic book movie of all time and it's not even close.

It's the best at being closest to its source and still being good but it's not the level of, say, Road to Perdition at being a great film.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

There is one good comic book movie and everyone else has been trying to ice skate uphill ever since.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

massive spider posted:

There is one good comic book movie and everyone else has been trying to ice skate uphill ever since.

I like Batman & Robin too, but this seems like hyperbole.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Secret of the Ooze is secretly actually better :ssh:

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
A History of Violence is a comic book movie, as is Ghost World.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

Secret of the Ooze is secretly actually better :ssh:

I'm all for hot takes, but this is just wrong, and also how dare you?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's a masterpiece of camp

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

It's a masterpiece of camp

It's not so much camp as being an episode of the cartoon with character swaps (Tokka and Razor or whatever for Bebop and Rocksteady, David Warner for Baxter). It's pretty much as close to the cartoon as the first was to the comic and that's also why the first is better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's basically a Bill & Ted movie and it has a great heart and I've been extremely tempted to write a very long essay about how secretly great it is for years so don't tempt me because I am quite busy tia.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Keno wishes he was even half as likable as Casey Jones.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In Secret of the Ooze the Super Shredder is killed by a some of a rickety dock falling on him after regular human Shredder survived being compacted in a garbage truck 90 minutes earlier.

TMNT 1 will always be better because it's a kids movie that ends on a note of casual gruesome murder being okay.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Having recently rewatched them, the first one is much better shot and edited, it’s like a good episode of law and order but with puppets doing kung fu. However, the second one doesn’t have an awful gay panic joke like the first one does so that’s a point in its favor. The theme rap song is better in the first one too

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They are both perfectly fine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DeimosRising posted:

Having recently rewatched them, the first one is much better shot and edited, it’s like a good episode of law and order but with puppets doing kung fu. However, the second one doesn’t have an awful gay panic joke like the first one does so that’s a point in its favor. The theme rap song is better in the first one too

Yeah, I recently rewatched them both again with my nephew. That one gay panic joke is terrible, for sure, but aside from that, I just love how seriously it treats a very silly concept. The final fight against Shredder still feels appropriately epic. And Raph in the trenchcoat is amazing to me. To say it's "the best comic book movie ever" is silly, but it's so well remembered because it's "pretty drat good, actually", when a Ninja Turtle movie didn't need to work so hard to be that good.

Secret of the Ooze is what you'd expect from a Ninja Turtles movie having not seen the first movie. It's fine, very silly, and they clearly go out of their way to not use their weapons, instead using breadsticks and sausage links and stuff like that. (Not that they were stabbing people in the first movie, or anything.) But it's not without its moments, David Warner didn't know how to phone it in, and Vanilla Ice rapping about Mutant Turtles doing Karate will always put a smile on my face.

It's the third movie we should all agree is just poo poo, even if they someone got the original actors for April and Casey back.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can we talk about TV shows as well?

Just want to say that Harley Quinn is reason enough to subscribe to HBO Max.
Such an amazing show.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

It's basically a Bill & Ted movie and it has a great heart and I've been extremely tempted to write a very long essay about how secretly great it is for years so don't tempt me because I am quite busy tia.

We could always use another Movie of the Month candidate. I say do it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vintersorg posted:

They are both perfectly fine.

Probably. But this one is still better

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
HBO Max Layoffs have begun.

- 15% of all staff that work for the content departments at HBO Max and HBO (with the total overwhelmingly tilted towards HBO Max) have been laid off.

- The unscripted and live-action family programming divisions at HBO Max were mostly eliminated (possibly to merge with Discovery+ and that does not that there will be 0 people working in those departments on the new streaming service). The "reality" content division at HBO Max was shut down entirely.

- Casting, acquisitions and international divisions received less significant layoffs.

- WB/D thought HBO Max's creative division already had too much stuff that could be done by HBO and with Discovery+ staff now in the mix, they saw no reason to keep those divisions.

quote:

When executives at AT&T, HBO’s former parent company, decided to bring a new streaming service to market, they hired a dedicated programming team for HBO Max, including scripted and unscripted divisions to help accelerate the number of TV shows that could be produced for the new streaming service. The new programming team was originally separate from HBO’s pre-existing programming team.

Now, that plan has been readjusted. Executives believed that the nonfiction division at HBO Max already had significant overlap with HBO, which has had a dedicated and celebrated documentary division for decades, as well as Discovery, which owns HGTV, the Food Network and TLC, networks all known for reality programming.

The new company is $50 billion in debt and part of the reason so many changes have been happening so fast is that they want to pull the band-aid off quickly to readjust to their new strategy and find a way to meet their goal of $3 billion in cost savings before the end of 2022.

quote:

Warner Bros. Discovery, which began as HBO’s parent company in April when AT&T spun off WarnerMedia and merged it with Discovery Inc., has a crushing debt load of more than $50 billion. Executives at the new company have vowed to find $3 billion worth of savings, and significant layoffs are expected at the company in the coming weeks, particularly in areas where WarnerMedia and Discovery have overlap.

They are eliminating the original content division at HBO Max and folding it into HBO proper.

quote:

Sarah Aubrey, the head of original content at HBO Max, will now oversee the drama division for HBO Max, as well as a new assignment to work on international programming, the people said. Suzanna Makkos, an executive in charge of HBO Max’s comedy slate, will now report into Amy Gravitt, the head of comedy at HBO.

Some existing unscripted series that are HBO Max exclusive may still survive.

quote:

The unscripted programming team at HBO Max made reality fare like “FBOY Island,” and “Selena + Chef.” Unscripted series that HBO executives deem to be successful will continue airing, one of the people said.

Some of these moves do make a lot of sense, but it also seems to confirm the previous reports that new streaming-exclusive original content is mostly dead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/business/media/hbo-max-layoffs.html

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 15, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I think this stuff is better suited for the Whats Streaming thread.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MacheteZombie posted:

I think this stuff is better suited for the Whats Streaming thread.

Thanks. Will move over there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Warner Brothers/Discovery just released a statement saying that Ezra Miller has apologized, is seeking therapy, and WB/D support them on their journey.

They also released a short written statement of apology from Ezra's manager:

quote:

“Having recently gone through a time of intense crisis, I now understand that I am suffering complex mental health issues and have begun ongoing treatment,” Miller says. “I want to apologize to everyone that I have alarmed and upset with my past behavior. I am committed to doing the necessary work to get back to a healthy, safe and productive stage in my life.”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
They’d BETTER get therapy. I mean, what a mess.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

"i would like to continue to be extremely wealthy"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Didn't know it was possible for a canister of film to hold a gun to someone's head like that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Ezra, blink twice if you still wanna do crime.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Ezra, blink twice if you still wanna do crime.

frantic fluttering of eyelashes

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

lmao ok. Aren't they still wanted in court in at least 2 states? Or does that just go away because they have a movie coming up?

I'll take my answer off air, because I actually know the answer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

thrawn527 posted:

lmao ok. Aren't they still wanted in court in at least 2 states? Or does that just go away because they have a movie coming up?

I'll take my answer off air, because I actually know the answer.

They do, but they also can't get arrested until they go back to those states (and even then, someone would have to snitch on them or they'd have to get arrested/pulled over for something else. There isn't a manhunt going on for someone with warrants for assault, disorderly conduct, and several misdemeanors.)

Their recent mental health crisis also doesn't really explain the whole "allegedly started grooming multiple teens/tweens 6 years ago" or why WB and their manager released the statements instead of Ezra.

But, at least they are apparently getting therapy and prevented from travelling interstate for a while? At least one of those should prevent new crimes in the short-term and possibly long-term.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Give it a week.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Give it a week.

Or until they see a really cute and/or vulnerable teen/tween?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I do wish WB/D was as forgiving of my crimes, though.

I told them I was sorry, but I missed the deadline to cancel my free HBO trial by two days and they still said I had to pay for the month. They also tattled on me to my ISP when I tried to stream Dune.

I didn't say sorry to them for that one, so that could be the reason.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So apparently some previously unseen content of WW84 has been released, and Yikes

https://twitter.com/GalGadotWWFans/status/1558955632295923713?s=20&t=RYWrSxpJ0B35TeJrrXEskQ

Wonder Woman hanging out at a nazi rally acting like a scandalized aunt is really something. I guess it falls perfectly in line with Patty Jenkins WW though

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

"I thought you said this was gonna be a party?"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

McCloud posted:

So apparently some previously unseen content of WW84 has been released, and Yikes

https://twitter.com/GalGadotWWFans/status/1558955632295923713?s=20&t=RYWrSxpJ0B35TeJrrXEskQ

Wonder Woman hanging out at a nazi rally acting like a scandalized aunt is really something. I guess it falls perfectly in line with Patty Jenkins WW though

"Wonder Woman was definitely in Germany during Nazi times but didn't really do anything" is one idea you can go with, I guess

but watch out if you rob a mall, she'll get you!!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

McCloud posted:

This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say I've seen hundreds of pictures like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just a window to a past I've never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting Diana Prince in made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank You.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

McCloud posted:

Going to the Adolf Hitler rally but looking visibly appalled so people don't think I agree with what he's saying

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This is some good photoshop fodder though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like that the Nazis let huge Native American men into their rallies. So much for the intolerant right!