Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Roth posted:

This is the dumbest movie studio on the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I appreciate the efforts DC has gone through to entertain their audience (we posters) although I do wonder if they couldn't have done as much with less effort by just making good movies.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Zack Snyder literally recommended his stunt coordinator for peacemaker. Please don't take take anything from this but that the original plans for Wonder woman 3 under the old regime are no more.

I don't view Gunn as anything more than a cold and calculated company man but if he well and truly kills the Snyderverse the odds are just as just as likely that he did it because Snyder has no interest in coming back. Hashtag-restoringthesnyderverse is one of the only ways a Gunn-led DC could get me interested in watching their movies anymore, but tbh if anything killed the Snyderverse it wasn't WB so much as Snyder not being interested in it or Ezra Miller's shenanigans.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't view Gunn as anything more than a cold and calculated company man but if he well and truly kills the Snyderverse the odds are just as just as likely that he did it because Snyder has no interest in coming back. Hashtag-restoringthesnyderverse is one of the only ways a Gunn-led DC could get me interested in watching their movies anymore, but tbh if anything killed the Snyderverse it wasn't WB so much as Snyder not being interested in it or Ezra Miller's shenanigans.

There have been plenty of interviews in the aftermath following the release of ZSJL to suggest that Snyder would have been interested in completing his story and that WB has not contacted him whatsoever about it.
WB is absolutely the reason for not restoring the snyderverse.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Actually I lied. There is one way Gunn could get me to watch DC movies again and it's to #releasetheYancut. Let's go James you got this.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's no snyderverse to be restored, everything he made is released. Nothing is missing. Contracts expired, deals are up. Anything more is purely hypothetical - nothing to be restored.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*whispers*

Make the Tim Burton-helmed Nic Cage Superman movie. Same script and everything.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pirate Jet posted:

in what loving universe is the dude who got his start working for Troma and who's big breakthrough was Slither a cold and calculating company man

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

1stGear posted:

in what loving universe is the dude who got his start working for Troma and who's big breakthrough was Slither a cold and calculating company man

Are you aware Slither was sixteen years ago?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pirate Jet posted:

Are you aware Slither was sixteen years ago?

And?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Gunn's hiring was notable because he wasn't that. He may well become one. Who knows what the future holds. But I would say company man is not a very accurate view of his career. Even when working for these massive companies his MO is taking the fringe characters and infusing them with his idiosyncrasies, not just slapping things together for bottom line.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

And ever since he’s been playing nice with Disney and is now literally a corporate president. Are the gore and swear words so dazzling you’ve lost track of time?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pirate Jet posted:

And ever since he’s been playing nice with Disney and is now literally a corporate president. Are the gore and swear words so dazzling you’ve lost track of time?

Neither of these things suddenly make you into a soulless corporate husk. Gunn was put in charge of the DC movies because he made a DC movie and show that were universally praised after making two big-budget Marvel movies that were universally praised. He didn't manipulate his way to the top. He was just better than the other options.

If you want to argue that he sold out by moderating his work and going mainstream instead of continuing to make gross-out horror-comedies, then sure I guess. But I don't think the guy who wanted this to be the intro to his show about a Z-list superhero could be considered cold and calculating.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My question is - are we going to ever see diminishing returns on MCU films? Or are they just a perpetual motion machine at this point?

The last comic book film I saw was Infinity War and... I really haven't felt a yearning to go back to either MCU or DCEU films. Personally, I don't know how long this burnout I feel from comic book films, but goddamn do I wish something excited me again.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mordiceius posted:

My question is - are we going to ever see diminishing returns on MCU films? Or are they just a perpetual motion machine at this point?

We're already there. Wakanda Forever isnt doing BP numbers. I didn't watch a lot of it but apparently phase 4 wasn't all bangers.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

1stGear posted:

Neither of these things suddenly make you into a soulless corporate husk. Gunn was put in charge of the DC movies because he made a DC movie and show that were universally praised after making two big-budget Marvel movies that were universally praised. He didn't manipulate his way to the top. He was just better than the other options.

If you want to argue that he sold out by moderating his work and going mainstream instead of continuing to make gross-out horror-comedies, then sure I guess. But I don't think the guy who wanted this to be the intro to his show about a Z-list superhero could be considered cold and calculating.

You’re reading things into my post that aren’t there. “Cold and calculated company man” is not the same thing as “sell out” or “soulless corporate husk.”

It’s ridiculous to assume Gunn doesn’t play well with executives just because he directs movies and TV shows that are violent and goofy, both of which were proven popular in the superhero genre before he ever even made GotG1. (Or Super, for that matter.) He was willing to come back to Disney even after they fired him for an entirely bullshit reason, and we’ve seen no indication they challenged him on his films’ content. Likewise even after his Suicide Squad film was a massive financial failure WB still saw fit to keep him around as he pitched a television show for the streaming service they were trying to grow and if you think the only reason for that is “because TSS was so good!” you have zero clue how Hollywood works.

Gunn isn’t a sellout or anything because it’s hard to attach troma to a particular ideology or belief he’s betraying but it’s factually correct he worked his way to the top by playing nice with the studios he was working for. This is also true of the majority of directors in Hollywood. If you read my description of James Gunn as “not particularly special” as “soulless corporate husk” that doesn’t reflect on anybody but you.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean “cold” has a certain pejorative quality.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"He gets along with the people who fund his movies. How cold and calculating."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean “cold” has a certain pejorative quality.

How else would you describe telling someone that a film they’ve had lined up for years isn’t happening anymore based on your personal vision? It’s a necessary quality to succeed in Hollywood, which Gunn undeniably has.

1stGear posted:

"He gets along with the people who fund his movies. How cold and calculating."

Yeah working with Hollywood executives is definitely the kind of thing that gives someone the warm fuzzies.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

well why not posted:

There's no snyderverse to be restored, everything he made is released. Nothing is missing. Contracts expired, deals are up. Anything more is purely hypothetical - nothing to be restored.
Excuse me, the #AyerCut is part of the #Snyderverse

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

ill call him a soulless corporate husk. he backed Whedon AND Snyder during the JL/Fisher stuff, he went hard to bat for the DOD and CIA when he was a company man for Disney, and despite his one film for DC so far being a massive commercial failure he was nevertheless appointed to run the whole thing. people who fail upward in hollywood don't do it with their Creative Talent. he's an empty t-shirt who believes in nothing

also he writes all of his characters with the same annoying loving voice. he's joss whedon with Film cred, and much like joss whedon will also probably eventually be outed as a sex pest of some kind or another

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"I don't like this guy so he's probably a sex pest" is a stance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s so funny how deranged that post is lmao. Go roll in grass until you’re green you insane creepy person

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
James Gunn needs to release batwoman or Batgirl or whatever that movie is that is sealed away from the eyes of man

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

bushisms.txt posted:

We're already there. Wakanda Forever isnt doing BP numbers. I didn't watch a lot of it but apparently phase 4 wasn't all bangers.

Some of the phase 4 movies weren't bangers, but also:

1) Ever since Covid, box office receipts have been down everywhere.
2) Measuring against one of the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time is going to make essentially every single movie a failure.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some of the phase 4 movies weren't bangers, but also:

1) Ever since Covid, box office receipts have been down everywhere.
2) Measuring against one of the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time is going to make essentially every single movie a failure.

But we're also apparently "post-COVID" and Wakanda Forever is the sequel to said top 10 grossing film of all time that Disney also decided to tie into the real life passing of its lead actor instead of recasting.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Much of Phase 4 was bland and aimless because it is painfully obvious there is an RDJ-shaped hole in the franchise and no amount of secret magical ninja society bullshit is going to fix that. Like, Marvel can swear up and down that the Eternals are super important, but their movie was middling and I find it hard to care how their twenty minutes of shared screen time with Shang-Chi three movies down the line are going to unfold.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Grendels Dad posted:

Much of Phase 4 was bland and aimless because it is painfully obvious there is an RDJ-shaped hole in the franchise and no amount of secret magical ninja society bullshit is going to fix that. Like, Marvel can swear up and down that the Eternals are super important, but their movie was middling and I find it hard to care how their twenty minutes of shared screen time with Shang-Chi three movies down the line are going to unfold.

Yeah, RDJ and Chris Evans were basically born for those roles and defined them.

There isn't really anyone as compelling right now. Kang/Jonathan Majors looks really intriguing so far, but he is also going to have a very tough time living up to Thanos/Brolin.

Plus, they are doing the "3 phases and reset" structure - where the first phase is introduction/origin/set up of characters and teases of the major threat, the second is introduction of the major threat/sequels, and the third is team-up/defeat bigger threat and reset.

So, Phase 4 was mostly about origin movies, introducing individual characters, and teasing the big threat. But, when you're on your 30th movie, origin stories, introductions, and teases are going to feel played out and people will be less invested by definition because it is a character they aren't attached to.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

well why not posted:

While I don't think this is entirely true*, I do find it ridiculous that -- even after Snyder got to recut Justice League and then washed his hands of this stuff and moved on to work for Netflix since he had more creative control there -- we need to be constantly wringing our hands over whatever WB suits not "respecting" Snyder because they fired an actor her hired. Obviously you can check the gang tag to see that I would love if Zack came back and did a 10 part Justice League maxi-series, but at this point the damage has been done for half a decade and we don't need to fret over every single nail in a mostly sealed coffin.

* like, there's still some of the specific characters and themes he has established, so moving forward with e.g. Batfleck and Cavill Superman when they had previously dumped them would be enough for most people; there's also the pie-in-the-sky "Zack returns to direct the post-apocalyptic sequel to Justice League" option but I never thought this was especially likely even if "Gunn and Snyder are besties" fanfic was reality

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To be honest the only interesting thing about Avengers Infinity War 2 starring whoever Kang's supposed to be is just if they can hit the same high and fever pitch they did the first time and so far the answer is a resounding "no"

Th4r was pretty good though

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I suspect we will get more articles about WB/DC and their plans flip flopping around in the future. They are completely lost at the moment, and it's funny as hell to me.

I'm fine with them moving on from Snyderverse, though I'd love an Ayer cut and if we got a ZSJL 2 speed run through his JL 2-3 plans I wouldn't complain.

If they do reboot, I feel bad for Cavill the most. He's a great superman, really loved the role, and was willing to drop other leading projects on the hope of suiting up again. That's dedication.

Gunn, to me, is basically Robert Rodriguez at this point, only more successful.

E: oh and making Momoa Lobo over just reprising Aquaman is dumb as gently caress. If they do go that route

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 8, 2022

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gonz posted:

*whispers*

Make the Tim Burton-helmed Nic Cage Superman movie. Same script and everything.

Fat balding nic cage superman in a plastic suit ten sizes too small fighting a huge mechanical spider alongside his gay ewok companion.

Do it DC.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We don't even know what Gunn is going to do with it. He has a pretty good track record with Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. I don't think a clean slate and Gunn doing his own thing is going to be a disaster.
Until I looked it up just now, I had no idea Gunn's Suicide Squad got positive reviews. It sucks, it's juvenile in the worst way, and I'm surprised that the same person who wrote this wrote Peacemaker, which is leagues better.

Everything that was objectionable about Ayer's Suicide Squad (except Jared Leto) can also be found in Gunn's, so I don't get it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

This has to be some of the most reactionary pivoting I've seen.

They could've just let Snyder finish his saga and then rebooted having given everyone closure but no let's waste hundreds of millions of dollars on constant attempts at trying to undo or redo those movies while creating far worse outcomes and even bigger financial failures and now just trying to desperately burn it all down.

After ZSJL already utterly showed them up you'd think they'd learn.

as others said above me, the more drastic possibilities suggested in the THR article seem to just be informed speculation for now, but it feels like WB has spent the last decade stuck in a cycle of reaction and overcorrection to the decisions they made in 2012-2014 in reaction to Marvel Studios' success (namely, retroactively making Man of Steel the start of a shared DCU after production had already wrapped, and effectively appointing Snyder as its architect). Jettisoning the Snyder JL cast entirely in favor of a total reboot would strike me as yet another overcorrection, but maybe Gunn and Safran will manage to break out of that cycle, we'll see.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 8, 2022

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah working with Hollywood executives is definitely the kind of thing that gives someone the warm fuzzies.

"Let the Hollywood executives pay the Hollywood executive tax! I pay the Homer tax!"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Gunn thread in response, doesn't really clarify anything (I wouldn't have expected much in that regard, but I figured he'd have at least directly addressed WW3... nope)

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1600920132691189760

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gunn put out a tweet thread clarifying "some of it is true, some of it is half true, some is not true, some we haven't decided if it's true or not" and se words about being hard at work on the plan and pleasing audiences.

So there u go

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

it feels like WB has spent the last decade stuck in a cycle of reaction and overcorrection to the decisions they made in 2012-2014 in reaction to Marvel Studios' success (namely, retroactively making Man of Steel the start of a shared DCU after production had already wrapped, and effectively appointing Snyder as its architect).

Even before that, weren't they trying to position Green Lantern as their Iron Man, with Angela Bassett's Amanda Waller as their Nick Fury? Man of Steel started filming a couple months after GL was released, so I wonder if there were any bits of connective tissue that had to be quickly snipped away, or if MoS was always supposed to be its own thing?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bushisms.txt posted:

Black Panther 1 was a perfect storm and even if Boseman were still alive and it were as good a movie, the likelihood that the second would do the first's numbers was slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

LividLiquid posted:

Black Panther 1 was a perfect storm and even if Boseman were still alive, the likelihood that the second would do the first's numbers was slim.

I don't know if the original rumors where to be believed, It probably would have did double. Allegedly they were going to have storm be introduced and coupled with t'challa until Bosemans passing.