Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The bigger it fails the sooner it can all end.

Oh you sweet child. It'll never end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Barry Convex posted:

Gunn thread in response, doesn't really clarify anything (I wouldn't have expected much in that regard, but I figured he'd have at least directly addressed WW3... nope)

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1600920132691189760

And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards Lobo!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hope it remains a poo poo show. I don't want to see them do it "right".
Bruce Timm and co. already did it once and it was amazing, remains most fans' favorite rendition of the DC universe, and they learned exactly nothing from it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

LividLiquid posted:

Bruce Timm and co. already did it once and it was amazing, remains most fans' favorite rendition of the DC universe, and they learned exactly nothing from it.

I mean if you’re 10…

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They kinda did the whole shared universe pretty well, to be honest. Separate series that had a few crossover episodes was good. It was the way it should be.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I don't know, guys. I think when we hear things like "do Lobo" and "more anti-heroes" along with "reboot everything so we go back to #1" I am sure this will do wonderful things for everything superhero comic book-related.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Snyders Superman basically identical to the DCAU version, and people still complained because it didn't match the rosetinted nostalgia-poisoned version in their heads

McCloud fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 10, 2022

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

All people know about Superman now is the All-Star Superman page and the Justice League cartoon scene where he says "You mean Santa wrapped them"

They think they remember Donner Superman but it is clear from how they describe it they do not.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So wholesome when he dropped Zod to his death and brutally beat that trucker within an inch of his life

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McCloud posted:

Snyders Superman basically identical to the DCAU version, and people still complained because it didn't match the rosetinted nostalgia-poisoned version in their heads
The best example of this that I can think of was a YouTuber who started off his review of BvS by saying how there were so many different versions of Superman and everyone had their own take on it. He then went on to trash BvS because he said that the version of Superman in the movie didn’t match up with the one that he has had in his head since he was 6 years old.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

No Dignity posted:

The DCU is dead, bury it

With the DC stuff I would just make movies with the characters and not worry about connecting everything. DC has a rich history with some of the best comic book characters ever created to work with. The crossover stuff is just going to bog it down and if someone wants to make a good movie with the properties then just let them do that.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the DC movies I've liked the most were the ones that relied on continuity the least or just outright ignored it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McCloud posted:

So wholesome when he dropped Zod to his death and brutally beat that trucker within an inch of his life

The music was uplifting and Supes had a big cheesy grin on his face, it was super wholesome!! :buddy:

It's a bit telling that both scenes involve Superman acting weak and feeble and tricking a person who thought they were strong into attacking him which results in their hand getting broken, the idealized "nostalgic" view of Superman is pretty much just people's escapist fantasies of getting super powers and beating up their school bullies. The diner scene pretty much ends with the equivalent of "and then everybody clapped!"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There really isn't a formula for a Superman film. People built up that character in their head and nothing will come to what they want it to be. The Donner film, DCAU, Snyder's films, they all have similar DNA but go about adaptation differently that people aren't going to like how it's done in some of them. There are people who grew up with the Snyder films' Superman that they might watch the Superman cartoon and not like it one bit or watch the Donner film and think that depiction of the character is awful.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

I don't think that's really true, but not necessarily in a bad way.

DCAU Superman is born from the post-Criss focus on the Kents and the idea that Clark Kent and Superman are functionally indistinguishable people, a needle that I think the DCAU threaded better than some of its contemporaries that really lost the sense of dichotomy between Clark and Superman. The DCAU casts Clark's hero's journey as being something more Spider-Man like. He functionally is just a run of the mill kid who finds out he has superpowers. While All-Star Superman appropriates a lot of silver age features, it does sort of summarize on that great first page the more Kent-focused take on Superman's origin: the Els are just desperate people trying to save their kid, and the thing that makes Superman's Kryptonian origins important is that their faith in the goodness of others is rewarded. Like all you need to know about Superman is that his birth parents believed that lightyears away that people they didn't know we're good and would take care fo their son, and they were right.

Snyder's take is a bit more classically Silver Age with Kryptonian culture being a lot more central, and the Kents definitely have shared importance with the El family. It's not necessarily bad and it being an origin story of how Superman becomes Clark Kent is really clever, but I would say it is pretty different from DCAU Superman.

For as lovely as Smallville is though, I do enjoy it's take that Jonathan Kent and Jor-El are both just huge pieces of poo poo.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 10, 2022

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Superman has always been a destabilizing, potentially disturbing figure. He lives between the poles of “he could kill everyone on the planet on a whim” and “ just a small town all American boy with powers.” There have been an absolute gently caress load of omnicidal Superman stories recently, which I think says something about where we are at the moment, culturally.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Evil Superman stories are pointless, because an actually superheroic Superman is already scary. "If you had infinite power would you murder people for no reason" is not that interesting. "If you had infinite power would you tolerate genocide? How about absolute poverty?" That's what alienates people about Man of Steel.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

porfiria posted:

Superman has always been a destabilizing, potentially disturbing figure. He lives between the poles of “he could kill everyone on the planet on a whim” and “ just a small town all American boy with powers.” There have been an absolute gently caress load of omnicidal Superman stories recently, which I think says something about where we are at the moment, culturally.

It's be interesting going back and seeing how all the different generational iterations of the character from 1938 onwards reflected the zeitgeist of the era.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Halloween Jack posted:

Evil Superman stories are pointless, because an actually superheroic Superman is already scary. "If you had infinite power would you murder people for no reason" is not that interesting. "If you had infinite power would you tolerate genocide? How about absolute poverty?" That's what alienates people about Man of Steel.

It’s maybe not super interesting, but I’m pretty sure a decent percentage of Americans would randomly murder people if they had Godlike powers. Even more would do it not so randomly.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't think that's really true, but not necessarily in a bad way.

DCAU Superman is born from the post-Criss focus on the Kents and the idea that Clark Kent and Superman are functionally indistinguishable people, a needle that I think the DCAU threaded better than some of its contemporaries that really lost the sense of dichotomy between Clark and Superman. The DCAU casts Clark's hero's journey as being something more Spider-Man like. He functionally is just a run of the mill kid who finds out he has superpowers. While All-Star Superman appropriates a lot of silver age features, it does sort of summarize on that great first page the more Kent-focused take on Superman's origin: the Els are just desperate people trying to save their kid, and the thing that makes Superman's Kryptonian origins important is that their faith in the goodness of others is rewarded. Like all you need to know about Superman is that his birth parents believed that lightyears away that people they didn't know we're good and would take care fo their son, and they were right.

Snyder's take is a bit more classically Silver Age with Kryptonian culture being a lot more central, and the Kents definitely have shared importance with the El family. It's not necessarily bad and it being an origin story of how Superman becomes Clark Kent is really clever, but I would say it is pretty different from DCAU Superman.

For as lovely as Smallville is though, I do enjoy it's take that Jonathan Kent and Jor-El are both just huge pieces of poo poo.

I don't think the differences are as big as you make them out to be. Snyders version does put a heavier emphasis on his kryptonian heritage, but MoS is all about Clarks journey to become Superman, not the other way around. There's a reason the scene of Superman crying at Zods snapped neck (:v:) is shot identical to the scene of baby el being born. But more than that, what I meant is that both versions share a lot of qualities, in both versions they focus on him being "just a guy trying to do good", he makes mistakes, he gets angry, he feels anxious about his place in the world and how people react to him and fear him, he goes to his parents when he needs advice, they both have scenarios where Darkseid controls them to cause havoc, they both are involved in massive collateral damage when they fight, etc.

Almost all the things that people criticize Snyder-man for are there in spades in the DCAU version.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's be interesting going back and seeing how all the different generational iterations of the character from 1938 onwards reflected the zeitgeist of the era.

I think Lex Luthors iterations are almost more interesting. In the early 40's, during the birth of nuclear power, he's a mad scientist playing with radiation and atoms. In the 80's reimagining he's a Wall Street tycoon at a time when Reaganism was at its worst (fun fact: this version of Luthor actually predates the movie Wallstreet by a whole year), and in BvS he's a Zuckerburgesque silicon valley tech geek. It's almost like he's an indicator for what's going to be screwing over the next generation

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Timeless Appeal posted:

. The DCAU casts Clark's hero's journey as being something more Spider-Man like. He functionally is just a run of the mill kid who finds out he has superpowers.

Snyder's take is

https://youtu.be/tEfoNXQDWBs

BVS Superman : All this time I've been living my life the way my father saw it. Righting wrongs for a ghost, thinking I'm here to do good. Superman was never real. Just the dream of a farmer from Kansas.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 10, 2022

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I feel like there's room for a golden age/fleischer take where "real strong + flight" doesn't imply world breaking strength. He's just like a guy with a very fast car, or something.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Comic Book Movie Megathread: "do Lobo"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All Glory To The LoboVerse

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Jason Momoa as Lobo is like obvious, should have gone Jack Black as Lobo

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

I don't think the differences are as big as you make them out to be. Snyders version does put a heavier emphasis on his kryptonian heritage, but MoS is all about Clarks journey to become Superman, not the other way around. There's a reason the scene of Superman crying at Zods snapped neck (:v:) is shot identical to the scene of baby el being born. But more than that, what I meant is that both versions share a lot of qualities, in both versions they focus on him being "just a guy trying to do good", he makes mistakes, he gets angry, he feels anxious about his place in the world and how people react to him and fear him, he goes to his parents when he needs advice, they both have scenarios where Darkseid controls them to cause havoc, they both are involved in massive collateral damage when they fight, etc.
I think Man of Steel’s arc for him is that he doesn’t quite fit as Clark. When he becomes Superman, there is definitely a level of detachment and aliensss that is emphasized. The hope line and referring to Krypton as my world is a pointed line in which comes full circle with the very on the nose line of “Welcome to the planet” when he has completely re-accepted his identity as Clark. The fact that he is able to be both Clark and Superman through Lois also makes a lot of sense to me because at her best Lois is an example of being Superman while being human.

I’m not saying they’re completely different characters. But they’re not identical for me. If anything, I think he’s much closer to Reeves’s Superman in terms of his arc and Jesusness.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey now maybe they'll use the rebooted New 52 Lobo: a serious, clean cut young man with a sensible haircut who was all dark and broody about his tragic past

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Gonna be honest, Gunn's suicide squad was the least interesting of the DC movies to me even if it was conventionally entertaining. Going to remain cautiously pessimistic here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The music was uplifting and Supes had a big cheesy grin on his face, it was super wholesome!! :buddy:

this but unironically

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neurolimal posted:

Gonna be honest, Gunn's suicide squad was the least interesting of the DC movies to me even if it was conventionally entertaining. Going to remain cautiously pessimistic here.

Hard agree though it was still leagues better than Wonder Woman '84. They should have either made a movie focusing on Harley or made a movie focusing on Peacekeeper because it really dragged in the middle.

I liked most of the Harley scenes in it a lot though like the Lethal Weapon homage and how they all worked together to kill the decarabia and stuff. Extremely normal no issues at all junkie Ratcatcher 2 was fun too lol

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 10, 2022

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Without having seen it, I recently thought how weird WW84's plot about all that wish poo poo and human cheetahs is when Shazam 2 and I think Aquaman 2 deal with old gods coming back. Like, that's Wonder Woman's whole thing! What was everybody thinking?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

Without having seen it, I recently thought how weird WW84's plot about all that wish poo poo and human cheetahs is when Shazam 2 and I think Aquaman 2 deal with old gods coming back. Like, that's Wonder Woman's whole thing! What was everybody thinking?

It's unprecedented and worth seeing for how completely bizarre it is and like you say, it's so weirdly off from everything that the first WW film and the character's brief time in BVS/etc. was all about.

Also there are some incredibly weird things in it that don't even include the "heh look at these dumbass Arabs, thank god the IDF] Wonder Woman is here to save their even dumber kids from playing ball in the middle of the street where an active battle is happening....in a way those four Palestinian kids on the beach deserved it, makes you think" scene and the hosed up way Wonder Woman gets her wish.

Like that gold armor of uh, whoever Lynda Carter briefly plays at the very end. A big deal is made of it and Wonder Woman dons it, flies over to do battle with Cheetah, and she basically stands in place tanking Cheetah's slashes at it until it is completely destroyed. Like Superman ripping off Steppenwolf's armor in ZS' Justice League or something. Like she swoops and and just stands around as Cheetah does this.

Also there's a scene meant to illustrate how Cheetah has become too violent and has gone too far and stuff and the scene is that she wants to beat up someone who was attempting to rape her. I mean the movie is PG-13 but I really couldn't interpretate that any other way, and it's played in this overwrought "how could she do this" way that melted my brain with how loving stupid it was.

gently caress that movie.

I'm curious as to what her treatment for WW3 was and/or what the studio notes were that caused her to walk away lol

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 10, 2022

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

Also there are some incredibly weird things in it that don't even include the "heh look at these dumbass Arabs, thank god the IDF] Wonder Woman is here to save their even dumber kids from playing ball in the middle of the street where an active battle is happening....in a way those four Palestinian kids on the beach deserved it, makes you think" scene

This is an absolutely lunatic take.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm curious as to what her treatment for WW3 was and/or what the studio notes were that caused her to walk away lol

https://twitter.com/LeCinephiles/status/1601020451395772417?t=etecSP0n8UabJy-yV4jiVA&s=19

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The funniest poo poo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

When you have the problem of the charismatic love interest being dead and the lead is a black hole.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/LeCinephiles/status/1601021099055009792?t=0iWMZKOcJoFVPBSAXEsLiA&s=19

As deeply funny as that would be, I don't think this is a real email.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

For those unaware, that's a satire account

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know, you’ve seen the leaked sony emails ?

https://variety.com/2014/biz/news/leaked-sony-emails-reveal-jokes-about-obama-and-race-1201376676/amp/

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

This is an absolutely lunatic take.

I assume that comment references a scene in WW84 taking place in the Middle East, I've seen the parody gif and I *think* what is the original scene on Youtube. And you could always just... not have that in your movie. Like, why the gently caress would you have that in your movie? What is Wonder Woman even doing there? It's just a supremely lovely look in what appears to be a movie designed to look terrible on many levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McCloud posted:

For those unaware, that's a satire account

Yeah, the odds of that being close to the actual emails Patty sent are pretty high lmao.