Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

nooner I am not sure how i feel about that new av

it's nice and disturbing but its going to take some getting used to

It makes me disappointed. I always imagined the flamingo saying the word "Nooner" like a pokemon, then guffawing like the flamingo's in Alice in Wonderland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A dude is an ingrown hair on an elephants butt according to my elementary school education, OP. Not very nice.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Baxter posted:

It’s gender-based, but in a friendly, inclusive kind of way?

If someone addressed a mixed group of people as “My dudes”, I’d assume they meant “This group of people with whom I’m comfortable and generally consider friends”.

Who What Now posted:

If someone asks you not to call them dude just don't call them dude. It's very simple and easy.

I think both of these things are true and it also kind of depends on where you are. I'm in Southern California so everyone gets "dude" every once in awhile from me, including my sister and my girlfriend. If I flew to somewhere in the midwest or whatever, I probably wouldn't use "dude" on people I don't know. And I would definitely never use it on people I thought might be upset by it.

I have done the "What's up dudes....and dudesettes" correction when I realized I was in a room with people I don't know well.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

"Dude, did you just clog the toilet"

is gender neutral, hth OP

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I'm not sure of the exact grammatical terms but it's f your addressing a person it's definitely gender neutral and can be used in place of sir or ma'am, though it implies a level of familiarity that the other words don't.

But if you point point out that somebody is "a dude" it's definitely masculine.

There's a bunch of edge cases but those are to he two definites.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

The Bloop posted:

but if someone tells you they don't like it you should probably stop

And then never be around that person again. For their own comfort.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Gresh posted:

now that dude seems settled, what about homie

Only okay if the person in question is in fact homosexual

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

it's masculine but it's so ubiquitous that it gets used generically. i don't say dude anyway. i say man, but it's never directed at a person exactly, it's just an expression, i think that's how some people use dude.

i don't think there is casual general term for a man to refer to a woman that doesn't have some potential to be taken badly so it's the path of least resistance if you just constantly say dude or man.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 12, 2022

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I consulted the primary source on this (Wikipedia)

"From the 1870s to the 1960s, dude primarily meant a male person who dressed in an extremely fashionable manner (a dandy) or a conspicuous citified person who was visiting a rural location, a "city slicker". "

Based on this definition and the accompanying photo, and as a kinda flashy NB I am changing my mind and embracing dudeism.

roomtone posted:

if you just constantly say dude or man

I have a coworker who theorizes that there is a Dude/Man divide that happened somewhere in the Gen X years and governs what you use to colloquially refer to a person.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

STABASS posted:

only if you say it like the guy from hey dude

heyyyyy duuuuude

Thanks, I'm going to have that theme song stuck in my head for the next seven years

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
"I'm a dude, she's a dude, Cause were all dudes, yeah!"
-Kel Mitchell, 1997

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if you say to someone “i met a wicked cool dude today” they are going to assume you mean a man, or maybe that you saw a dog wearing sunglasses, but they wouldn’t assume you mean a woman.

therefore it is gendered and also dog-pilled and you should avoid using it if you want to be respectful.

reading the posts itt makes it very obvious that genx and millennials are woefully unprepared for the pronoun wars and will be put to the blade (NOT sword) by their genz masters when the revolution arrives (NOT comes).

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Look like plaid and baggy clothes are always gonna be a style in the ‘90s.

Doesn’t matter the century.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

my question is why do they call it a dude ranch?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

my question is why do they call it a dude ranch?

Basically it comes from the city slicker definition. A dude ranch is a ranch set up for city folk to come on vacation.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What in the hell is dog-pilled

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

StarkRavingMad posted:

Basically it comes from the city slicker definition. A dude ranch is a ranch set up for city folk to come on vacation.

so dudes are city people?

sounds pretty gender neutral to me. OP solved imo case closed

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Waste of Breath posted:

I have a coworker who theorizes that there is a Dude/Man divide that happened somewhere in the Gen X years and governs what you use to colloquially refer to a person.

I'm a millennial and I almost always say 'man' instead of 'dude'

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ilmucche posted:

you know what dilbert-pilled means, right? and you know the character dogbert, right? well, put two and two together.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

you know what dilbert-pilled means, right? and you know the character dogbert, right? well, put two and two together.

yup. elementary really. if you can't keep up with this stuff you're part of the problem

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
yeah man

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Who What Now posted:

If someone asks you not to call them dude just don't call them dude. It's very simple and easy.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

WHAT IS CRACKING, FAM, i say in my best WASP impression

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

ilmucche posted:

It's when you wrap it in cheese or white bread so it doesn't taste bad going down

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gresh posted:

now that dude seems settled, what about homie
This video should answer all your questions about homie, my dude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89ljGCszEY

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Internet Old One posted:

I do appreciate when bigots isolate themselves from society.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Internet Old One posted:

or you could just... not call people things they dont like being called?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Internet Old One posted:

gently caress you.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Earwicker posted:

or you could just... not call people things they dont like being called?

uh, are you forgetting about the noble pursuit of bullying?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Colonel Cancer posted:

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears

dudes, bros, homies, lend me your shakas 🤙

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

"So you gently caress dudes?"

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Further to my research I can confirm that the phrase "Dudically Badical" as a descriptor of something cool is allowed but discouraged and met with confusion

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Gender neutral "dude" is like the gender neutral third person "he". It is how things used to be because society had an exclusively male lens. Nowadays, we try to be more inclusive with our speech and not use an exclusively male lens, hence "dude" going from gender neutral to gendered and "he" being replaced first by the clumsy "he/she" and now by the widespread adoption and popularization of "they" (which has been an option since at least Shakespeare, albeit one that wasn't widely used until recently).

Generally people who take issue with it usually fall into two camps, either really boring woke-scolds trying to weaponize idpol and/or create drama in their lives or people who have issues with their gender and/or how it is perceived by society. It's easy enough to cut out the former group because they are toxic enough that you shouldn't need to worry about "dude" to cut them out. For the latter group, using "dude" in a gender neutral way does real harm. While not on the order of the colloquial "gay" or "f-word" choosing to continue using it shows a similar reactionary mindset. I and may other people have learned entirely new languages over our lifetimes. Updating a small portion of a language you already speak isn't a huge ask.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

so dudes are city people?

sounds pretty gender neutral to me. OP solved imo case closed

Only men are allowed in the city

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

2nd Amendment posted:

Updating a small portion of a language you already speak isn't a huge ask.

Yea, but I’m American; I don’t have to do anything

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Hella strong word feels ITT.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Strictly speaking, no, it is not gender neutral. Nor is "guys."

That they are often colloquially used in gender neutral ways is true, but in an absolute sense they are gendered terms.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
English words don't have sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

English words don't have sex

Well, not with that attitude.