Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rotor posted:

more specifically i would probably move up north and be one of those weird old hippy dudes who built their house out of mud and old tires

you can build it on our inevitable back 40 in exchange for helping garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I would go and live in a barrel like Diogenes

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think i'm going to become one of those tribal people who have no interaction with technology. They seem like they enjoy their lives.

this, but also later dying from cancer and heavy metal (:rock:) poisoning

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

its that time again thats right its tree time with jim the tree man arbor

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Naar posted:

I would go and live in a barrel like Diogenes

changing my answer to this

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rotor posted:

finally being free

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moo Cowabunga posted:

invest in soy

twice

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
i spent a few summers in college working for the county parks dept. 8 hours a day just listening to music and cutting grass. there’s worse ways to make a living

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have no skills of any value outside of computer touching.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have no skills of any value

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

what kinna crash we talkin

like is it only programmers out of work really or is it a fundamental economic disaster

if it's the latter i expect people will eventually take smoking back up and i used to help harvest and cure tobacco on my uncles farm. i can bring evil back into whatever new society we build

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mediaphage posted:

like is it only programmers out of work really or is it a fundamental economic disaster

if it's the latter i expect people will eventually take smoking back up and i used to help harvest and cure tobacco on my uncles farm. i can bring evil back into whatever new society we build

I define the crash as such:

the majority of US-based companies and businesses, even giants like FAANG, realize that their fart apps (real or imagined) either aren’t making them any money or are no longer worth the trouble. they shutter their divisions that work on software and no longer want to hire software engineers, claiming that there is no work for them.

with this change, there is now a massive glut of software engineers of varying competencies and seniority on the market. supply far outstrips demand. what little software development or general computer-touching positions still exist are heavily competitive and reserved for only the most senior or the most shrewd.

programming is now about as useful in getting and keeping a job as a stint flipping burgers at wendys. you’ll see walmart greeters who used to work at google. tech no longer wants to share any of its money, or no longer has money.

this is all a reflection of my fears that the industry i tied my livelihood to stretches itself too thin and decides that nah gently caress you you don’t food or housing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

programming is now about as useful in getting and keeping a job as a stint flipping burgers at wendys. you’ll see walmart greeters who used to work at google. tech no longer has money.

and i think to my
self
what a wonderful
world

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mediaphage posted:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1559194360712794114

:coolfish:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

and i think to my
self
what a wonderful
world

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mediaphage posted:

and i think to my
self
what a wonderful
world

honestly same except that I’d worry about paying bills and getting a house

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

the majority of US-based companies and businesses, even giants like FAANG, realize that their fart apps (real or imagined) either aren’t making them any money or are no longer worth the trouble. they shutter their divisions that work on software and no longer want to hire software engineers, claiming that there is no work for them.

with this change, there is now a massive glut of software engineers of varying competencies and seniority on the market. supply far outstrips demand. what little software development or general computer-touching positions still exist are heavily competitive and reserved for only the most senior or the most shrewd.

programming is now about as useful in getting and keeping a job as a stint flipping burgers at wendys. you’ll see walmart greeters who used to work at google. tech no longer wants to share any of its money, or no longer has money.

this is all a reflection of my fears that the industry i tied my livelihood to stretches itself too thin and decides that nah gently caress you you don’t food or housing.

i remember people posting things like this in the slashdot comments section in like 2003.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

post hole digger posted:

i remember people posting things like this in the slashdot comments section in like 2003.

how many of those people are the same people with good tech jobs today

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

like maybe it was true, but only for them

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Probably some sort of delivery gig, that was the most zen job I've done. Probably why I got so into Death Stranding.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

how many of those people are the same people with good tech jobs today

its fun to doom post but a job market changing isnt an economic collapse

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Probably some sort of delivery gig, that was the most zen job I've done. Probably why I got so into Death Stranding.

how did you pay for your apartment or house? and health care? and food, and furniture, and

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

post hole digger posted:

it’s an economic collapse to me!!

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

Pollyanna posted:

how did you pay for your apartment or house? and health care? and food, and furniture, and

Yeah that's the part that sucked. We really should pay drivers more, it's a surprisingly dangerous job and we rely on it a lot more than people realize. The real fucker is all the miles you put on your own vehicle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it’s telling that the scariest thing to tech workers is “I’ll have to make only as much money as most people do”.

god, what a nightmare this world’s become.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

it’s an economic collapse to me!!

pollyanna indeed

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

it’s telling that the scariest thing to tech workers is “I’ll have to make only as much money as most people do”.

ok this one is actually scary.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

post hole digger posted:

pollyanna indeed

now you get the joke

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

well more specifically it’s intended to be a reminder to myself

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

post hole digger posted:

this is a thread about the tech bubble bursting tho

a real hosed up situation will be when the climate changes enough that there’s no longer a reliable source of overseas cheap labour and everyone will have to adjust to paying prices for locally grown food and manufactured goods.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

polyester concept posted:

a real hosed up situation will be when the climate changes enough that there’s no longer a reliable source of overseas cheap labour and everyone will have to adjust to paying prices for locally grown food and manufactured goods.

i am just barely old enough to remember when the idea of buying strawberries in winter was a modern luxury

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

InternetOfTwinks posted:

delivery is fun as hell when you don't have to do it for draconian overlords. and if you get to do it with a buddy it's easy to do while stoned if you don't have to drive

rotor posted:

i am just barely old enough to remember when the idea of buying strawberries in winter was a modern luxury

and get this poo poo, apparently canada is a hotbed of greenhouse technology development because of all the tomatoes they grow here (all the heinz and frenchs ketchup for canada is grown with canadian tomatoes, for example), you can see them from 'satellite' maps if you zoom around leamington

anyway short story long now we can get fresh grown local strawberries in like loving february for an elevated but reasonable for a winter treat price

they're not incredible but they're a damned sight better than the flavourless mushpiles the us ships up here any time of year

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

InternetOfTwinks posted:

i was an interdepartmental mailperson for a summer. it was cool. made the mistake of 'finishing early' the first day, oops

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Pollyanna posted:

the thing is fundamentally the us tech industry, like all of america's big industries, only exists because it is heavily subsidised by the government. tech specifically is mostly financed through fat defence contracts. all the civilian stuff is mostly table scraps, with only a few notable exceptions that came off those table scraps. as long as the us is scared of people with different accents and skin colours, the bulk of tech industry is going nowhere. crypto and other weird app startups always had a limited shelf life and almost all the inside money that funded that poo poo comes from the DOD (originally) in the first place.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 16, 2022

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Because most people are severely under payed.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

polyester concept posted:

lol yeah in that scenario locally grown food will totally be viable option

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

moonshine is...... posted:

including virtually all tech workers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

moonshine is...... posted:

if the world was fair we'd all be earning $17,000 a year

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

im going to schmooze my way to a cushy mid-level position in the jdpon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the jdpon will not have such thing as a "mid-level position". the only three jobs will be anime appraiser, secret police, and collective farm worker. and all of them will be equal